Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: great album - crappy sound
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2013 23:50

letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
treaclefingers
letitloose
theanchorman
The first two Kiss albums - Kiss & Hotter Than Hell - are great albums that are just about unlistenable and suffer from lifeless and distorted mixes respectively. Too bad they couldn't get Eddie Kramer to mix those albums as well...

The interesting thing with that is that Eddie Kramer produced their first demo. He subsequently botched rock and roll over, tho he did an amazing job on Frehleys solo album. I think the early Kiss albums have a wonderful charm, and I play them often. But Stanley is right, they have no "Sonic Boom"

Maybe you need to listen to them on an airplane?

Not quite sure what you mean.....but I will say one of the best experiences of my life was flying into JFK with a glass of wine and Back in the New York Groove on the headphones. incredible experience for a lowly Scotsman.

You're right of course...unless you're plane was going to break the sound barrier...hence the sonic boom, there would be no point. I don't know what I was thinking...I'm just at this airport bar right now well into a 4 hour wait for my flight maybe I've got plane on the brane?

Ahhh - Gotcha now. Hope you are flying somewhere exotic. Cheers!

Thanks! After a week away for work, HOME is sounding exotic to me!

Well, we here at IORR wish you a safe flight and a great weekend back home. God, it will be Christmas soon- haha

Thanks LIL!

Unfortunately, nature calls so I'm actually going to have to pay my bill, break my connection, pack up, and relocate to my gate after I get a grande dark roast from a starbucks kiosk.

If I'm not back...see y'all ta'morrow!

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: October 5, 2013 17:01

letitloose
theanchorman
The first two Kiss albums - Kiss & Hotter Than Hell - are great albums that are just about unlistenable and suffer from lifeless and distorted mixes respectively. Too bad they couldn't get Eddie Kramer to mix those albums as well...

The interesting thing with that is that Eddie Kramer produced their first demo. He subsequently botched rock and roll over, tho he did an amazing job on Frehleys solo album. I think the early Kiss albums have a wonderful charm, and I play them often. But Stanley is right, they have no "Sonic Boom"

Yes, that 5 song demo Kramer produce for the band was killer. Ashame he wasn't on board from the beginning.

Funny you say that about RnR Over, most Kiss fans love that album. I always preferred Love Gun - especially Sonically as it breahthed more than its predecessor. Destroyer I hate and yes - Ace's 78 solo album is a freakish masterpiece...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:10

theanchorman
letitloose
theanchorman

Yes, that 5 song demo Kramer produce for the band was killer. Ashame he wasn't on board from the beginning.

Funny you say that about RnR Over, most Kiss fans love that album. I always preferred Love Gun - especially Sonically as it breahthed more than its predecessor. Destroyer I hate and yes - Ace's 78 solo album is a freakish masterpiece...

Love R'N'R over...my only KISS studio album.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:43

treaclefingers
theanchorman
letitloose
theanchorman

Love R'N'R over...my only KISS studio album.
IMO, the best sounding KISS studio albums (from their golden years) are Destroyer, Rock ANd ROll Over, and Love Gun. Dressed To Kill isn't bad, but the others were clearly a step up and they started to have more life in the studio and sounding more how they actually sound. The first record is almost like a demo version of what those songs sounded like live, and the second album they play well but it sounds like it was recorded through a wall in a basement. That second run of three albums are when Kiss sounded like Kiss in the studio.

And yes, Ace Frehley's album is a masterpiece, songwise and production wise. They hit the nail on the head with that record and songs like Rip It Out are how KISS should have always been recording in the studio. Sucks cause their last two albums sound pretty good studiowise, but its not the original band.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:46

They may have been thinking "Ronnies Basement is great and this coke is great! Everything is great!"

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 5, 2013 19:03

I always thought RnR over had poor sound. The production on Love Gun was a step up - but maybe the songwriting was too. I'm a huge Kiss fan, but have a blind spot with RnR over. love the cover tho.

My favourite is still probably Dressed to kill. "you're good looking and you're looking like you should be good". Classic Kiss with the rat-a-tat swinging Cat on the drums

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2013 00:48

letitloose
My favourite is still probably Dressed to kill. "you're good looking and you're looking like you should be good". Classic Kiss with the rat-a-tat swinging Cat on the drums
That song is just fantastic. Always was one of my favorites the first time I heard Alive:

She's a dancer, a romancer
I'm a Capricorn and she's a Cancer

I mean come on, thats brilliant!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 6, 2013 01:11

I read a review once of Derek and the Dominoes Layla and other.... upon its release on CD. The reviewer maybe have been a snob and all about what was then new/pristine/digital sound in the 80s. He said he couldn't stand the muddiness of the original and the CD was just a reminder of a bad recording and that it should have been cleaned up for CD.

I would have to hear that record cleaned up. I always loved it's boozy, 3 o'clock in the morning, plaintive feel.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: October 6, 2013 06:45

letitloose
I always thought RnR over had poor sound. The production on Love Gun was a step up - but maybe the songwriting was too. I'm a huge Kiss fan, but have a blind spot with RnR over. love the cover tho.

I forgot to mention Dressed to Kill. I love the production on that one. All the instruments sound nice and clear, clearly a step up from the first two albums. Funny - but Neil Bogart actually produced DTK and the band has complained that he was too stoned to do a proper job. I think he did a stellar job. The just should have had Ace do a solo for RnR All Nite. This album has some of Aces best solos (love her all I can)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 6, 2013 10:26

NICOS
JumpingKentFlash
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

Is the best

The sound is terrible. I still love it. Crank it up and it's great, but the sound is still crap.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 6, 2013 11:14

JumpingKentFlash
NICOS
JumpingKentFlash
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

Is the best

The sound is terrible. I still love it. Crank it up and it's great, but the sound is still crap.

As it must have been at the shows on the '69 tour, but it must also have been glorious to be there and take it in nonetheless.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 6, 2013 13:29

seitan
mediocre album - crappy sound: Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, Between The Buttons,
crappy album with a crappy sound: Undercover and every jagger solo album ( yeah, the snare sound ruins Wandering Spirit too)

...the snare sound? Jeeeeeez, do you listen to snare sounds or to the music as a whole?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 6, 2013 13:37

Out of Our Heads

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 6, 2013 13:47

alimente
seitan
mediocre album - crappy sound: Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, Between The Buttons,
crappy album with a crappy sound: Undercover and every jagger solo album ( yeah, the snare sound ruins Wandering Spirit too)

...the snare sound? Jeeeeeez, do you listen to snare sounds or to the music as a whole?

I envy your ability to ignore obnoxious snare sounds, seitan.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home