Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 223
Re: OT: 50th Anniversary of Beatles Playing Shea Stadium
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 15, 2015 01:47

I was there and also at Shea Stadium on August 23, 1966! An amazing thrill that I will never forget.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 15, 2015 02:40

steffialicia
I was there and also at Shea Stadium on August 23, 1966! An amazing thrill that I will never forget.
super double wow. Awesome and wow again.
Could you hear anything other than screams ?
I'm seriously jealous.
My aunt saw them at the Cavern a few times. That's the closest i got to seeing them !

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 15, 2015 02:53

Great film.The audio is not from the actual concert though. They are supposed to have set up a film projector in the studio and recorded themselves while they played to the film.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2015 03:18

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 03:57

and people complain about overdubs on ya-yas....

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 15, 2015 04:06

What were Jagger and Richards doing there and are their any pictures of them there?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 15, 2015 04:43

ash
steffialicia
I'm seriously jealous.
My aunt saw them at the Cavern a few times. That's the closest i got to seeing them !

Just screams. Sounded like a jet engine. I'm jealous of your Aunt! I hope to visit Liverpool one day.

Date: August 15, 2015 05:09

steffialicia
ash
steffialicia
I'm seriously jealous.

Just screams. Sounded like a jet engine. I'm jealous of your Aunt! I hope to visit Liverpool one day.

i know someone who saw them in DC i think it was.. they said drums and screams was all they could hear. still, i'm very jealous!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2015 16:51

stanlove
What were Jagger and Richards doing there and are their any pictures of them there?

I'd say getting their motivation

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2015 16:58

Turner68
and people complain about overdubs on ya-yas....

The un-worked on audio is also available, not too bad considering.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 15, 2015 21:15

Did Beatles get inspiration from the Festivals at that time?

Newport Folk Festival, July 1965, supposedly had quite a big crowd?

I guess those Festivals were the inspiration for Woodstock etc. and not exactly Shea.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:53

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 16, 2015 05:09

mtaylor
Did Beatles get inspiration from the Festivals at that time?

Newport Folk Festival, July 1965, supposedly had quite a big crowd?

I guess those Festivals were the inspiration for Woodstock etc. and not exactly Shea.

Different prospects.
The Beatles played stadiums as the main act, because of their huge popularity. They were the first band ever doing that. People came only to see them.
The festivals had been existing for a long time and is a different kind of audience, who doesn't appear to like all music they are presented.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 09:46

terraplane
Great film.The audio is not from the actual concert though. They are supposed to have set up a film projector in the studio and recorded themselves while they played to the film.

I have a DVD bootleg with two audio tracks - the studo one and also the live one. The live recording is just as good as the one recorded in studio. I don't know why the felt the urge to do the full overdub and also why this has not been officially released yet. Together with the two Budokan shows, which are also excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 09:47 by Happy24.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 16, 2015 11:29

The performances at Budukan are pretty crap in my opinion. It's a shame that their live performances deteriorated so much. I guess they got bored and figured no-one was listening. If Paul had given up trying they'd have been really dreadful.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 16, 2015 14:36

Che Stadium. Named after the Cuba guerrilla leader Che Stadium.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 16, 2015 23:36

There was an excellent programme on BBC Radio 4 yesterday to mark the anniversary. It covers the progress of the stadium gig from this one - the first - to the present day. It concludes that the group to best master playing stadiums due in no small part to their outstanding frontman is...well, who do you think?!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

OT: If John wouldn´t have been shot...
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 4, 2015 07:06

... what do you think would have been the re-union like and when would it have happened?

Re: OT: If John wouldn´t have been shot...
Date: September 4, 2015 07:13

Probably much sooner than we think. John's album all but bombed...really a minor success, seeing as how it was his 'comeback' album. Only after the assassination did it start selling in big numbers, with more singles.

I would wager that they probably would have mounted some sort of regroup/new album after seeing the massive success of Tattoo You and the tour in 1981/82.

A stint on SNL to test the waters, then off to the races.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 4, 2015 07:27

John's album was released on November 17, 1980, exactly3 weeks before he was shot, so there was not enough time to say it bombed, especially in those pre Soundscan days. In the US it was at #11 on the Billboard chart before he died, while Just Like STarting Over had made it to #7. Those are respectable numbers, especially considering in pre Soundscan albums would rise on the charts to their their eventual peak instead of how it's been in the past 25 years where most albums now peak in their first week on the chart.

John had a tour planned for 1981 and was already planning out his 3rd comeback album, the one that would have followed Milk and Honey. It may have been the mid 80s before anything would have happened as far as any Beatles reunion, with George being the toughest to convince.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: September 4, 2015 07:31

My guess is that any reunion would have been some very informal jams for the Anthology series. While they might have released something new, I can't see them touring at all, especially George. They might have also gotten together for the Hall of Fame induction as well as some sort of one off on SNL or the Grammys....

Date: September 4, 2015 07:37

batcave
My guess is that any reunion would have been some very informal jams for the Anthology series. While they might have released something new, I can't see them touring at all, especially George. They might have also gotten together for the Hall of Fame induction as well as some sort of one off on SNL or the Grammys....

maybe they could have gotten Clapton to stand in for George?

Date: September 4, 2015 07:40

It is ridiculous to say that John's album bombed. Simply not true.

Date: September 4, 2015 07:47

treaclefingers
Probably much sooner than we think. John's album all but bombed...really a minor success, seeing as how it was his 'comeback' album. Only after the assassination did it start selling in big numbers, with more singles.

I would wager that they probably would have mounted some sort of regroup/new album after seeing the massive success of Tattoo You and the tour in 1981/82.

A stint on SNL to test the waters, then off to the races.

Massive success of tattoo you? Both Paul and john on their own were having successes as big as tattoo you. Starting over charted nearly as well as start me up did before john was assassinated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 07:48 by Turner68.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 4, 2015 08:16

Its obviously impossible to say.

But having said that, I think 1980 was right when it was all starting to blow over. Yeah, John was kind of angry about being completely left out of George's book, but all of them relationship-wise was pretty fine. Everyone was fine with Ringo, Paul and John seemed to have kind of patched things up (or were at least in the process of moving forward and it was not nearly as toxic as it was perceived), George seemed fine with Paul and John for the most part.

I do not think Double Fantasy bombed, although I also think it doesn't matter. Its a stunning record first and foremost, the John material, so whether it was well received or not I just hope he was proud of it. And regardless of what happened, he was planning to tour which I think would have been good for him. Get him back out there, loosen him up, get him really back in the music world. What happens next is pretty much up to interpretation.

Paul stopped touring. John related or not, its hard to tell how much time he would have needed to get back on the road. Ringo never toured and George hated it on his own, so I think its reasonable to think probably by 1985 they would have all reconvened. Either publicly dropped the feud or gotten back together for an album or a concert. Seems like at that point enough time would have passed. I don't think it would have been like the Stones, where they became touring juggernauts. It just doesn't seem like their style, although Paul is that way himself so maybe he would have focused all that on The Beatles. In an imaginary world, I kind of could see The Beatles being something they kind of always come back to but they continue with their solo careers. Were it to have continued into the 90s and into the 2000s with them all being alive, I do think it would have been very special and I think we would have gotten full album shows, and true genuine celebrations since their importance has always been widely recognized.

Again, its hard to predict what would have happened, but I think a reunion would have been inevitable at some point and I would just love to see all 4 of them alive now just to benefit and marvel together at their legacy. I can't imagine there'd be any hate this late in the game.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 4, 2015 08:55

If not all four, I suspect John and Paul would have been part of Ive Aid in 1985.
The 9/11 show in NYC would also been a possibility.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2015 09:13

George accepted to be a part of that Anthology-project from 1991, so maybe that year if John would have been alive....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:14

Apart from the alternatives, continuing a more or less solo career, or at some time, for some time, enter a reunion project with other members of the Beatles, even if one will doubt it, one would at least have to consider the possibility of John Lennon starting a band with other musicians.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:36

... he would be old bald AND grumpy, always badmouthing everyone else : "techno music what a load of bollocks! Nirvana : that lad cannot play guitar! The Stones are pathetic, well they were pathetic in 1965".

Yeah yeah John... confused smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:43

Paul said they would have reunited for sure. As stated above George might have been the hardest one to convince. No way did Double Fantasy "bomb out". I remember it being a big buzz (not only with myself) but a lot of talk on the radio especially before he died. We already heard rumours of his tour starting in Florida where I'm from. I remember waiting for the record store guy to pull the LP out of the box, I couldn't wait. We looked at it together and said he looked fantastic, good to see him. It was very happy times that took a dramatic turn.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home