Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 223
Re: OT: If John wouldn´t have been shot...
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 18:10

HMS
When Double Fantasy was released I was thirteen years of age, a friend of mine gave me a tape copy and I played it over and over (On the b-side of the tape was Marianne Faithfull´s album Broken English).
Still like it very much, there are great songs on the album. Some of them are even gorgeous. John was a rare genius and so is Yoko.

I agree. It was a mature set of songs from a mature artist. "Watching the Wheels" is real nice.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 5, 2015 19:30

treaclefingers
"Coming Up"...I'd forgotten about that one. No wonder McCartney's inspired so much derision through the years with drivel like that.

That's your opinion. "Coming Up" is by many, considered as a track pointing forward and showing new interesting sides of McCartney. Lennon appreciated the track as well in interviews and thought it was among the best music from Paul he had heard. And there is, by the way, no need to use "Coming Up" as yet another opprtunity to trash McCartney in the very childish way that some people prefer to do on this board. The must feel very threatened by McCartney and his music, since they feel the need to put him down every time.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 22:29

The live version of Coming Up is ok. But McCartney II is not one of my favorites by him. But you are right, Lennon really liked Coming Up. In interviews he said as much and said it is what inspired him to get back out there. To be competitive with McCartney. He also said he was trying to make Double Fantasy like Heroes. He really thought was a brilliant album. He mentions that in the Playboy interviews.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:45

Blueranger
treaclefingers
"Coming Up"...I'd forgotten about that one. No wonder McCartney's inspired so much derision through the years with drivel like that.

That's your opinion. "Coming Up" is by many, considered as a track pointing forward and showing new interesting sides of McCartney. Lennon appreciated the track as well in interviews and thought it was among the best music from Paul he had heard. And there is, by the way, no need to use "Coming Up" as yet another opprtunity to trash McCartney in the very childish way that some people prefer to do on this board. The must feel very threatened by McCartney and his music, since they feel the need to put him down every time.

Hey, just because its a crappy song that I hate you don't have to get mad...wasn't trying to insult you.

I like macca a lot and saw him in concert 2 years ago...fab! Oh, and didn't play coming up. Hey, don't blame me...even he realises its cringeworthy by now!

OT: The Beatles videos officially released on DVD/Blu-Ray at last
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2015 19:26

A lot of people have been waiting for this moment. Can't believe it didn;t happen sooner or when the One compilation came out.

THE BEATLES’ 1 collection is set to be reissued in a new package that brings the band’s hit songs together with their short films for the first time, as 1+.

The deluxe edition will be released on November 6 and will include 50 promotional films and videos, alongside the Fab Four’s 27 chart-topping singles. You can watch a trailer for the collection below…

The new set follows extensive research and restoration of the band’s original promo films by Apple Corp., and features classic television appearances and other carefully selected videos that span the group’s history.

Various packages of 1+ are available on both DVD and Blu-Ray formats, featuring new stereo and surround sound mixes of the films, alongside a CD featuring featuring those all-important hit singles.

“These videos and films are spectacular reminders of the era we lived in,” says Paul McCartney of the films. “They also rock!”

Fellow Beatle Ringo Starr also welcomed the new edition, explaining that thanks to his band’s proto-music videos he gained some unlikely skills, explaining: “I think it’s really interesting to see the videos we made, some of them incredible and some of them really incredible. How else would we have got to sit on a horse?”

For full details of the release visit www.thebeatles.com.

[www.mojo4music.com]

Re: OT: The Beatles videos officially released on DVD/Blu-Ray at last
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 15, 2015 19:48

Pretty torn on the release. Don't get me wrong, its really cool these videos will finally be available in great quality and are getting a proper release. They should, as they are part of the story and have oddly been ignored for a very long time.

However, there's a lot wrong with this re-release. For one, its asking people to buy a greatest hits collection AGAIN, of songs they probably already had when the greatest hits initially came out. So you are buying songs you already had most likely for like a third time. Now that wouldn't be so bad... except for the fact that their catalogue was also JUST remastered. They just rolled out one of the most publicized and expansive remastering campaigns I've seen for a band. And for good reason. The results were stunning and thorough and most likely their final hurrah which they deserve. But then this really should have been included with that. You can't tout new sound on this without saying the thing from like 4 years ago was worthless. And in that case, all thats left here is a DVD of videos, which could have easily been issued as a bonus to the remasters from a few years ago, or included with them.

So its a tricky release. There's no way its not a cash grab, and the Beatles have done pretty well at avoiding that. Personally, the only release I ever need from them in the future is a Shea Stadium DVD and audio companion (if they can get the screaming to an appropriate level). In my eyes, thats the only thing NOT released that I think would be nice to have. A solid live show from the band at the peak of their popularity at a legendary show. Really the only thing missing thus far from their releases IMO. So while this new thing is a nice try, I hardly see it as necessary. There'd be too much I'm buying for like a fourth time (or fifth if I also got the Mono box set).

Date: September 15, 2015 20:00

RollingFreak
Pretty torn on the release. Don't get me wrong, its really cool these videos will finally be available in great quality and are getting a proper release. They should, as they are part of the story and have oddly been ignored for a very long time.

However, there's a lot wrong with this re-release. For one, its asking people to buy a greatest hits collection AGAIN, of songs they probably already had when the greatest hits initially came out. So you are buying songs you already had most likely for like a third time. Now that wouldn't be so bad... except for the fact that their catalogue was also JUST remastered. They just rolled out one of the most publicized and expansive remastering campaigns I've seen for a band. And for good reason. The results were stunning and thorough and most likely their final hurrah which they deserve. But then this really should have been included with that. You can't tout new sound on this without saying the thing from like 4 years ago was worthless. And in that case, all thats left here is a DVD of videos, which could have easily been issued as a bonus to the remasters from a few years ago, or included with them.

So its a tricky release. There's no way its not a cash grab, and the Beatles have done pretty well at avoiding that. Personally, the only release I ever need from them in the future is a Shea Stadium DVD and audio companion (if they can get the screaming to an appropriate level). In my eyes, thats the only thing NOT released that I think would be nice to have. A solid live show from the band at the peak of their popularity at a legendary show. Really the only thing missing thus far from their releases IMO. So while this new thing is a nice try, I hardly see it as necessary. There'd be too much I'm buying for like a fourth time (or fifth if I also got the Mono box set).

There are numerous variations of the release adding or taking away an element of cd/dvd/bluray. The many options let you choose. No offence here or no need to complain.

Date: September 15, 2015 20:04

Of course it's a cash grab - just as the Stones' Marquee gig from 71 should have been included with the Sticky Fingers reissue. Can't think of many bands that don't go for the cash grab these days.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:23

There is a Bluray Video stand alone if you don't want the audio again. I agree about the repetition but in their defense a comprehensive audio/video package makes good sense. I'm all in for the Super Deluxe.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:40

[www.thebeatles.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 21:30 by Irix.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:40

That's nice....that means after 3 months the same packaging of the Rolling Stones will be released...............

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 23:32

Well, I think we must be getting to the back of the Beatles' vaults. Other than the aforementioned Shea Stadium show, I can't think of much that would be left. (And I know Let It Be still hasn't been released, but come on, that's a bummer to watch.) I'm looking forward to this.

Date: September 15, 2015 23:58

Plenty of new releases to look forward to, for years to come:

Shea Stadium
Let It Be -film
Remixed Albums
Live Project Documentary

Date: September 16, 2015 00:21

Budokan 66 as well.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 00:37

Silver Dagger
A lot of people have been waiting for this moment. Can't believe it didn;t happen sooner or when the One compilation came out.

THE BEATLES’ 1 collection is set to be reissued in a new package that brings the band’s hit songs together with their short films for the first time, as 1+.

The deluxe edition will be released on November 6 and will include 50 promotional films and videos, alongside the Fab Four’s 27 chart-topping singles. You can watch a trailer for the collection below…

The new set follows extensive research and restoration of the band’s original promo films by Apple Corp., and features classic television appearances and other carefully selected videos that span the group’s history.

Various packages of 1+ are available on both DVD and Blu-Ray formats, featuring new stereo and surround sound mixes of the films, alongside a CD featuring featuring those all-important hit singles.

“These videos and films are spectacular reminders of the era we lived in,” says Paul McCartney of the films. “They also rock!”

Fellow Beatle Ringo Starr also welcomed the new edition, explaining that thanks to his band’s proto-music videos he gained some unlikely skills, explaining: “I think it’s really interesting to see the videos we made, some of them incredible and some of them really incredible. How else would we have got to sit on a horse?”

For full details of the release visit www.thebeatles.com.

[www.mojo4music.com]

Thanks be to God! Another thing to help me fall asleep

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 16, 2015 01:02

No complaints here - great news for Beatles fans! The're also one of my favourite bands, and this set is a must-have for me.

How long do we have to wait for a similar Stones project?

Considering that the Beatles Anthology CD & VHS/DVD series is almost 20 years in the past already and nothing similar came from the Stones so far, I really envy die-hard Beatles fans.

Date: September 16, 2015 01:03

this is awesome. thank you for posting.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 02:13

alimente
No complaints here - great news for Beatles fans! The're also one of my favourite bands, and this set is a must-have for me.

How long do we have to wait for a similar Stones project?

Considering that the Beatles Anthology CD & VHS/DVD series is almost 20 years in the past already and nothing similar came from the Stones so far, I really envy die-hard Beatles fans.

I agree completely with your statement. With the exception of an official Shea Stadium release and an official DVD/Blu-ray release of Let It Be in full (and/or extra footage), we'll basically have everything The Beatles have ever done with this release. Maybe someday, along with the From The Vaults campaign, the Stones will do an Anthology-like project. It would be nice to hear everyone talking about everything from Crossfire Hurricane in greater detail, and about everything post-Tattoo You. Imagine the give-and-take and difference in memory over Mick's solo albums, the ugly public feud, Talk Is Cheap, the rebuilding with Steel Wheels, Bill's departure, Keith and Ronnie's near-death experiences, Ronnie's separate attempts at sobriety and his foolishly letting Jo go, Charlie's cancer, Mick's knighthood, Keith's book, and so on.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 16, 2015 02:51

Time for the Stones to follow the Beatles again and release their video collection. It is long overdue. I would LOVE to have a comprehensive Stones video BluRay.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:24

would that mean all three 1968 "hey jude" promo's are included? the original promo for "don't let me down"/"get back"? i think there's 4 "hello goodbye"s. all the nov. 1965 promo's? surprised it took this long.

Date: September 16, 2015 04:18

Great. Now where's Let It Be?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 05:06

Sounds great! I wish they would release the full live films they have, a lot that you get a glimpse of in Anthology. Some great stuff from Dutch TV and other European live tv shows.

Date: September 16, 2015 05:14

there's got to be dozens of hours of stuff still not released...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 08:47

I have 4 bootleg DVDs with The Beatles' promos and another 4 bootleg DVDs with their live performances. All of them in a very good quallity. And there are many more bootleg DVDs containing way more great stuff. Of course, if they released something like that in the best quallity possible, that would be something. But I will buy this Greatest Hits DVD anyway :-)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 16, 2015 09:05

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

It would be great to have, but ultimately they are probably right not to release it. It was such a promising goal, and the outcome was exactly NOT what you'd want to see. I'd love to have it as a hardcore fan, but from a marketing standpoint, you are releasing a product that literally shows the disintegration of the world's favorite band. The bottom line is its really a video that should have never come out, because its not something the world should see. Its these 4 guys saying things in the moment that is really for them and not for an audience. Thats why it makes complete sense that McCartney and Ringo never think its a right time to re-release it. It wouldn't ever make sense to release the break up of your band to the world.

Again, having said that, I'd like to see a great restoration of it, and I'm sure I will cause I'm lucky enough that I'm sure it comes out after these guys are dead. But from any other standpoint other than being a completist, there's absolutely no reason for it to come out again and its a pipe dream to think it will while Paul and Ringo are alive.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 16, 2015 09:51

RollingFreak
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

It would be great to have, but ultimately they are probably right not to release it. It was such a promising goal, and the outcome was exactly NOT what you'd want to see. I'd love to have it as a hardcore fan, but from a marketing standpoint, you are releasing a product that literally shows the disintegration of the world's favorite band. The bottom line is its really a video that should have never come out, because its not something the world should see. Its these 4 guys saying things in the moment that is really for them and not for an audience. Thats why it makes complete sense that McCartney and Ringo never think its a right time to re-release it. It wouldn't ever make sense to release the break up of your band to the world.

Again, having said that, I'd like to see a great restoration of it, and I'm sure I will cause I'm lucky enough that I'm sure it comes out after these guys are dead. But from any other standpoint other than being a completist, there's absolutely no reason for it to come out again and its a pipe dream to think it will while Paul and Ringo are alive.

The surprise rooftop show(last public Beatles performance) is a classic. This
Is reason enough to release Let It Be. I wonder if there is not additional
surviving footage?

As I remember the film does not flatter Paul. This is probably the reason it
has not been released. It was released on RCA video disc in the 80's though.

Date: September 16, 2015 10:08

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2015 10:34

Any such project from the Stones, in order to be complete, would require ABKCO/Stones cooperation. And of course in the 60s there just wasn't the demand for promo films from the Stones like there was from the Beatles. In the States I don't remember ever seeing any such promotional films from the Stones being shown anywhere until Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in 1973, with Angie, etc. I don't remember any rock groups except the Beatles putting out promo films that were shown on prime time television in the 60s. The Beatles were all over the place with American Bandstand showing Strawberry Fields, Sullivan aired Paperback Writer, The Smothers Brothers Revolution and Hey Jude, and David Steinberg's Music Scene with The Ballad of John and Yoko.

I'm pretty sure Hello Goodbye was shown here but I don't remember where, and I'm pretty sure Something aired too, but don't know the show.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 17, 2015 10:53

swimtothemoon
RollingFreak
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

The surprise rooftop show(last public Beatles performance) is a classic. This
Is reason enough to release Let It Be. I wonder if there is not additional
surviving footage?

As I remember the film does not flatter Paul. This is probably the reason it
has not been released. It was released on RCA video disc in the 80's though.

A couple of years ago I acquired a DVD copy of 'Let It Be'. Obviously a bootleg, but as it was presumably from a Laserdisc source its quality is very good. (But not as good as the quality of the bits of the already fully restored 'Let It Be' that have been released).

When I sat down to watch it I was fully expecting it to be excruciating in its detailing of the breakup of The Beatles.

Nothing of the kind.

Sure, there are a few bits that are, how can I put it, awkward - but my overall impression was that it was well worth a more general release. IN NO way does Paul come across as a villain. Neither does Yoko - who seems fairly harmless other than being around perhaps a bit too much.

Michael Parkinson (UK TV chat show host) - well I think it was him - tells a tale about sitting next to Paul on an aircraft and chatting about things, and when he (Parkinson) mentioned that it was a shame 'Let It Be' hadn't been released, Paul expressed surprise and thought that it had.

So, I reckon that the general view that Paul is blocking it because it damages his public image as 'All Round Good Bloke' is flawed.

It could either be presented as originally shown in cinemas, with the ENTIRE rooftop concert as an extra, or the film could be re-edited to include the entire concert in place of the snipped version.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 17, 2015 15:25

These 2 Trailers must be the most attractive I've seen .... I can barely sit still before this exclusive Box is safe at home with me ...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home