Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2015 19:36

nightskyman
GasLightStreet
It's hilarious to think that there were some people (actually I think it was just one very silly person) that thought if the Stones were to record and release a new studio album that they'd "finally" surpass The Beatles.

There were some other bits of junk like that tossed in as well, like Hyde Park and Glastonbury - somehow one of those and eventually both of those "finally" hurling or leaping or whatever The Rolling Stones over The Beatles.

I've never understood how that could be. What is there to surpass? What was there to hurl or hurtle or leap "over"? Does anyone think Elvis thought he would "hurtle" over Frank Sinatra? That's the same mindset. Frank and Elvis had one thing in common - they both sang. But they could not've been any different. Although to a lesser extent - that The Beatles and The Rolling Stones played the same kind of music - they could've only been any different simply by playing different kinds of music, say, The Beatles being a folk band and The Rolling Stones being a heavy metal band.

The Beatles were The Beatles. They had and still have an enormous impact on studio recording and the invention of technology for it as well has how songs are recorded and arranged, how orchestras can work with rock'n'roll, etc...; songwriting and song recording; what it means for the bludgeoning release schedule for having hit singles; the impact on the art of making LPs simply with songwriting; how many gazillions of people can identify with the music that resulted in - and continues to - the gazillions of numbers of albums sold; how a band can be the center of the culture of its music for generations, not just the generation that it existed in. How a band, after not being a band for generations, can still have such demand that is reflected in many ways, one good one being record sales.

The Rolling Stones were The Rolling Stones. They had and still have an enormous impact on touring and stage design - the show; how attitude can define what a rock'n'roll band is, whether they meant to or not; what duration can do for a band in all kinds of ways: number of number one albums in a row, attendance records on tours, financial records on tours and, of course, hype; how having the most brilliant logo in the world created a brand without meaning to create a brand that has now become its own brand and without a word says the name of the band to boot; essentially breaking up, getting back together for the true sake of money (and glossing it over with new music that is glossed over); how moving past that allows a dictatorship regarding what the band sounds like and where it goes because of what one person in the band wants the most; what money does to a band; how a band can become a travelling country across the world that has a bigger GNP than some real countries have on a yearly basis (or so it's been said).

McCartney has released 3 studio albums since 2005. The Stones have released zero studio albums since 2005.

McCartney has released 17 studio albums since The Beatles ended.

The Rolling Stones have released 14 studio albums since The Beatles ended.

McCartney also released 7 studio albums with Wings in between solo albums...

One is a solo artist that had a band for a little while that was able to write and record at will, the other is a band that... eventually slowed down and then had some solo artist releases that don't amount to anything in this regard and then slowed down even more release wise to the point of releases getting far apart and then only re-releases.

That's all very interesting to look at but it means absolutely nothing other than what it is, which is how different they are. There is no 'winning' in music (other than, I suppose, the amount of awards bands/artists get, which is nothing more than some sort of highly esteemed recognition of... whatever). The Beatles lent a helping hand to The Rolling Stones in a few ways - a single, for one, that the Stones recorded when they were getting going; they opened the door for touring the United States - although certainly not with the idea of "helping" the Stones. It turned out that way. However, they were essentially the forefathers for any English band touring the United States.

The Stones recorded great albums, just like The Beatles did, and continued to record albums covering a span of 35 years since The Beatles ended. The Stones invented a legacy of duration, which has and will continue to work against them when being held up to The Beatles. However, the Stones can laugh all the way to the bank about it - if they even think about it. Some fans? Seems like they need therapy because of it.

They're just bands. It's just music. There is no winning. It just is what it is: a part of our lives.

Well this comes as close as possible to a resolution to this whole Beatles. Vs. Stones thread...I hope.

Btw, I love both the Beatles & Stones equally.

Yes great post.

If there is to be any type of scale of superiority/inferiority,
I'd give the advantage to The Beatles with the Stones being a close runner-up.
That's the reality of it all, and that's the way it always will be (for me).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 11, 2015 00:56

Perhaps one more articulated thought. Personally I think it's okay to like The Stones more than The Beatles, but to claim they're greater (in reality) is far fetched. In my opinion I feel it's smarter to say you prefer The Stones to The Beatles and state your case. Nothing wrong with that. Now, hopefully we can move on as friends of Rock And Roll Music. Cheers.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 01:29

frankotero
Perhaps one more articulated thought. Personally I think it's okay to like The Stones more than The Beatles, but to claim they're greater (in reality) is far fetched. In my opinion I feel it's smarter to say you prefer The Stones to The Beatles and state your case. Nothing wrong with that. Now, hopefully we can move on as friends of Rock And Roll Music. Cheers.

speaking of "rock and roll music", they all owe their careers to chuck berry, so hail, hail, rock and roll

Date: July 11, 2015 01:44

You're absolutely right Turner68. I consider Chuck Berry to be the true King, then again that's arguable too. But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Thankfully he's still alive too!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 11, 2015 02:31

Turner68
frankotero

speaking of "rock and roll music", they all owe their careers to chuck berry, so hail, hail, rock and roll

I agree that to say the Stones were greater than the Beatles is farfetched. But in addition to preference, there is a significant difference in the music played by the two bands. Chuck Berry was Keith's guru, and was very important to both groups, but I wouldn't say that the Stones owe their careers to him. The group was started by Brian and Stu, and even after adding Keith, the group's primary musical touchstones were always Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Slim Harpo, and other contemporary and past blues greats that never had any influence on the Beatles. Maybe I'm just stating the obvious, but it's always been the defining difference between the groups for me.

Date: July 11, 2015 02:33

drbryant
Turner68
frankotero

I agree that to say the Stones were greater than the Beatles is farfetched. But in addition to preference, there is a significant difference in the music played by the two bands. Chuck Berry was Keith's guru, and was very important to both groups, but I wouldn't say that the Stones owe their careers to him. The group was started by Brian and Stu, and even after adding Keith, the group's primary musical touchstones were always Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Slim Harpo, and other contemporary and past blues greats that never had any influence on the Beatles. Maybe I'm just stating the obvious, but it's always been the defining difference between the groups for me.

i agree that it's the defining difference. the beatles truly had no blues (as we use the term) in them. but i believe if you asked each group to write down one name, it would be chuck berry. i probably over stated things to say they owed their careers to him.

Date: July 11, 2015 04:27

Good point about The Beatles not having as much blues. But how about John's "yer blues" and George's "for your blue" songs. And one of my (kind of unreleased) favorites 12 Bar Original. But in the end I would have to say The Stones cover the blues better than The Beatles. Maybe why I can roll easier with The Stones in my adult years? Makes me wonder. Words of wonder. Okay, I'm eager to hear Keef's new one like most of us.

Date: July 11, 2015 21:12

In praise of Ringo:

RINGO

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 11, 2015 21:23

Hairball
nightskyman
GasLightStreet
It's hilarious to think that there were some people (actually I think it was just one very silly person) that thought if the Stones were to record and release a new studio album that they'd "finally" surpass The Beatles.

There were some other bits of junk like that tossed in as well, like Hyde Park and Glastonbury - somehow one of those and eventually both of those "finally" hurling or leaping or whatever The Rolling Stones over The Beatles.

I've never understood how that could be. What is there to surpass? What was there to hurl or hurtle or leap "over"? Does anyone think Elvis thought he would "hurtle" over Frank Sinatra? That's the same mindset. Frank and Elvis had one thing in common - they both sang. But they could not've been any different. Although to a lesser extent - that The Beatles and The Rolling Stones played the same kind of music - they could've only been any different simply by playing different kinds of music, say, The Beatles being a folk band and The Rolling Stones being a heavy metal band.

The Beatles were The Beatles. They had and still have an enormous impact on studio recording and the invention of technology for it as well has how songs are recorded and arranged, how orchestras can work with rock'n'roll, etc...; songwriting and song recording; what it means for the bludgeoning release schedule for having hit singles; the impact on the art of making LPs simply with songwriting; how many gazillions of people can identify with the music that resulted in - and continues to - the gazillions of numbers of albums sold; how a band can be the center of the culture of its music for generations, not just the generation that it existed in. How a band, after not being a band for generations, can still have such demand that is reflected in many ways, one good one being record sales.

The Rolling Stones were The Rolling Stones. They had and still have an enormous impact on touring and stage design - the show; how attitude can define what a rock'n'roll band is, whether they meant to or not; what duration can do for a band in all kinds of ways: number of number one albums in a row, attendance records on tours, financial records on tours and, of course, hype; how having the most brilliant logo in the world created a brand without meaning to create a brand that has now become its own brand and without a word says the name of the band to boot; essentially breaking up, getting back together for the true sake of money (and glossing it over with new music that is glossed over); how moving past that allows a dictatorship regarding what the band sounds like and where it goes because of what one person in the band wants the most; what money does to a band; how a band can become a travelling country across the world that has a bigger GNP than some real countries have on a yearly basis (or so it's been said).

McCartney has released 3 studio albums since 2005. The Stones have released zero studio albums since 2005.

One is a solo artist that had a band for a little while that was able to write and record at will, the other is a band that... eventually slowed down and then had some solo artist releases that don't amount to anything in this regard and then slowed down even more release wise to the point of releases getting far apart and then only re-releases.

That's all very interesting to look at but it means absolutely nothing other than what it is, which is how different they are. There is no 'winning' in music (other than, I suppose, the amount of awards bands/artists get, which is nothing more than some sort of highly esteemed recognition of... whatever). The Beatles lent a helping hand to The Rolling Stones in a few ways - a single, for one, that the Stones recorded when they were getting going; they opened the door for touring the United States - although certainly not with the idea of "helping" the Stones. It turned out that way. However, they were essentially the forefathers for any English band touring the United States.

The Stones recorded great albums, just like The Beatles did, and continued to record albums covering a span of 35 years since The Beatles ended. The Stones invented a legacy of duration, which has and will continue to work against them when being held up to The Beatles. However, the Stones can laugh all the way to the bank about it - if they even think about it. Some fans? Seems like they need therapy because of it.

They're just bands. It's just music. There is no winning. It just is what it is: a part of our lives.

Well this comes as close as possible to a resolution to this whole Beatles. Vs. Stones thread...I hope.

Yes great post.

that's because you need help. no seriously

Date: July 11, 2015 21:31

keefriffhards
Hairball
nightskyman
GasLightStreet

Yes great post.

Thanks, I've had HELP! since 1965! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 21:34 by Hairball.

Date: July 11, 2015 21:52

Hairball
keefriffhards
Hairball
nightskyman
GasLightStreet

Yes great post.

Thanks, I've had HELP! since 1965! thumbs up

Help was the first single i fell in love with when i was about 10 years old, along with Get off of My Cloud at the same time. see its always been a contest between them. its got to be the stones. because where is the Beatles Gimme Shelter or SFTD or MR but that's just me..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 02:07 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 13, 2015 13:38

BluzDude
The Oxford Dictionary of Music states that the term "pop" refers to music performed by such artists as the Rolling Stones (pictured here in a 2006 performance)

Hi BluzDude, would you please tell me which page this quote is from? Or somebody else? Thanks a lot.

dead.flowers

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 13, 2015 15:08

...I just stated a quote, it doesn't mean I believe it....smileys with beer

I can't even remember when I posted that.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here at the Maple Leaf Lounge at Heathrow Airport waiting for the flight back home to LA via Toronto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 15:09 by BluzDude.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 13, 2015 15:34

Have a good flight, Bluz, via Toronto You're not incidentally dropping into Quebec? Just in case, enjoy!

PS: Anybody else could help me please, tell me the page number from the above quote?

Cheers

dead.flowers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 15:36 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 13, 2015 15:45

Turner68
drbryant
Turner68
frankotero

i agree that it's the defining difference. the beatles truly had no blues (as we use the term) in them. but i believe if you asked each group to write down one name, it would be chuck berry. i probably over stated things to say they owed their careers to him.

Don't forget the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly...I think they had influence on Paul, John and Keith in particular (songwriting, guitar playing).

Date: July 13, 2015 20:28

nightskyman
Turner68
drbryant
Turner68
frankotero

Don't forget the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly...I think they had influence on Paul, John and Keith in particular (songwriting, guitar playing).

absolutely. they were all influenced by a smorgashbord of sources (apologies for the spelling, esp. to our scandinavian friends...) but i will assert that chuck was the #1 for both bands. chuck started it all, IMO.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:48

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 8, 2015 18:25

Mel Belli wrote in the 'Keith in Esquire' discussion that much of what is written in admiration of the Beatles is 'just hagiographic conventional wisdom.'

I agree top an extent about this, but what strikes me about the majority of the Beatles' music is it's timelessness.

I heard I'm Only Sleeping a few days ago for the first time in years, and the timelessness of the music was striking: one could imagine people from any historical age humming that melody.

It's the timeless, often other-worldly nature of the music that seperates the Beatles' output from that of other bands formed in the 1960s.

Olly.

Date: August 8, 2015 21:55

Olly
Mel Belli wrote in the 'Keith in Esquire' discussion that much of what is written in admiration of the Beatles is 'just hagiographic conventional wisdom.'

I agree top an extent about this, but what strikes me about the majority of the Beatles' music is it's timelessness.

I heard I'm Only Sleeping a few days ago for the first time in years, and the timelessness of the music was striking: one could imagine people from any historical age humming that melody.

It's the timeless, often other-worldly nature of the music that seperates the Beatles' output from that of other bands formed in the 1960s.

Its interesting that you pick up on this.
Do you think that some music is God given.
Its as though the writer is not responsible, more likely the musician's are honing in a greater force than they can possibly understand or comprehend.
They take the credit for something that maybe is outside of their own limitations..
Its obvious to me listening to Keith and Mick that the music they make is from somewhere else..

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 9, 2015 10:09

keefriffhards
Hairball
nightskyman
GasLightStreet

Yes great post.

I agree with Keith Riffhards. The Beatles just shade it.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:45

The Beatles.

Although, I have to say, GasLightStreet's image of the the Stones laughing at the Beatles all the way to the bank is priceless... Sir Paul of course on his way to becoming the first rock-n-roll billionaire.

In any case, I agree that competition in this arena is only helpful in that it pushes the bands to do better. By posting "The Beatles" I hope Keith and Mick will read my comment and be motivated to produce better music to get that final edge.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:57

Turner68
nightskyman
Turner68
drbryant
Turner68
frankotero

absolutely. they were all influenced by a smorgashbord of sources (apologies for the spelling, esp. to our scandinavian friends...) but i will assert that chuck was the #1 for both bands. chuck started it all, IMO.

The swedes may help you with that spelling, Turner grinning smiley

Thanks for the kind words earlier, btw thumbs up

Date: August 10, 2015 22:00

smileys with beer
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
nightskyman
Turner68
drbryant
Turner68
frankotero

The swedes may help you with that spelling, Turner grinning smiley

Thanks for the kind words earlier, btw thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: stefan357965 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 12:36

Hello guys. I'm from Serbia and a few days ago I was listening to some bend za svadbe or bendovi za svadbe which means bands for weddings in English. And they started to play Stones VS Beatles songs. I was like Stones are so much better.

Thats my opinion and the band was: CHEGI & Braca Bluz Bend!

Best regards!!!

bend za svadbe
bendovi za svadbe

OT - Beatles a threat to Cincinnati
Posted by: josepi ()
Date: August 17, 2015 07:29

OT: 50th Anniversary of Beatles Playing Shea Stadium
Date: August 14, 2015 22:34

Re: OT: 50th Anniversary of Beatles Playing Shea Stadium
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:39

A momentous occasion, like Sullivan show it exceeded expectations from the groups perspectives.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:41

I remember a television special they showed here in the States, possibly on ABC? It was like an hour and covered the whole concert. That would be interesting to see.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:03

[vimeo.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:25

Are we gonna have to wait 50 years before Apple releases the film ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home