Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2017 01:04

Thanks RollingFreak, I'm gonna hold out and wait for some MASSIVE sale on the current price of the big box which to be polite, seems a bit overpriced imo.
I'm in no hurry, and just a matter of time when I'll be able to compare competitive prices. Might be a month, might be longer...I shall wait! thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2017 05:49

Another #1 for the Beatles? Seems likely...

The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Marching to No. 1 in U.K.
5/31/2017 by Lars Brandle

The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (EMI) is marching back to No. 1 in the U.K., a half century after it first conquered the sales chart.
The remastered 50th anniversary edition of the hyper-influential album has shifted 24,000 combined sales at the halfway stage of the new chart week and grabs pole position on the Official Albums Chart Update.
Sgt Pepper's takes a “considerable lead” over Ed Sheeran's Divide (Asylum) at the midweek point, according to the Official Charts Company, and will earn the chart crown if it maintains its winning position late Friday when the weekly chart is published.

The Beatles’ celebrated eighth album logged 27 weeks at No. 1 in 1967 and 1968 and racked up 15 consecutive weeks at the top of the Billboard 200. It’s also topped its fair share of Greatest Albums of All Time lists and is recognized as the best-selling studio album in U.K. history, with more than 5 million sales. The only albums to shift more copies are greatest hits compilations from Queen and ABBA.
To mark its 50-year milestone, Sgt. Pepper's was released in several configurations May 26, highlighted by a six-disc set with four CDs, a DVD and Blu-ray with the remix, outtakes, mono album mix, video content, posters and a book.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The Beatles are everywhere...another invasion seems to be taking place again.

How ‘Sgt. Pepper’ Reinvented the Record Album

It may not be the greatest record of all time, but in changing forever the way we thought about what an album could do, it reigns supreme as the most important record of all.
Michael Tomasky
05.31.17 12:54 PM ET

As for this new Giles Martin-produced mix, I listened to it. I honestly can’t tell any difference. I never could. Stereo, mono. Just words.
I’m gratified to see that it’s getting great reviews, but that just isn’t what I listen for. I listen for the joy and intelligence being communicated.
If you can’t hear those qualities in staggering abundance on this record, I can’t help you.

More here

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 1, 2017 07:19

I don't know how anybody can't hear any difference. I have a pretty bad case of tinnitus and I hear a lot of separation, heavier bass and overall brilliance compared to the 2009 Stereo CD. However there is no actual difference in music or vocals between the two. I'm loving this release. They didn't just clean and boost the original tapes, they actually put some effort into it. Finally a re-issue done as it should be in my opinion.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 1, 2017 08:32

frankotero
I don't know how anybody can't hear any difference. I have a pretty bad case of tinnitus and I hear a lot of separation, heavier bass and overall brilliance compared to the 2009 Stereo CD. However there is no actual difference in music or vocals between the two. I'm loving this release. They didn't just clean and boost the original tapes, they actually put some effort into it. Finally a re-issue done as it should be in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 1, 2017 16:52

I do hear a difference. First, the vocals. Far more prominent and center. Especially the backing vocals. Sublime! I have heard several small details as well that I hadn't heard before. From bits of percussion to strange sounds. Giles did an amazing job remixing and bringing out more life to the recording.

I am super excited to hear what he does with the White album release that has been confirmed for next year! YAY!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 2, 2017 04:35

An image on the St Pepper cover was once used to fuel the Paul Is Dead rumours. A partially obscured patch on Paul's left arm looked like it read "OPD" which was taken to mean Officially Pronounced Dead. It is actually the crest for the Ontario Provincial Police here.

I had known that for years, but today heard the story of the actual Sgt Pepper, an OPP officer based in London, Ontario, who provided the band with security while on tour in Toronto. CBC article here: [www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 2, 2017 04:46

"...Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head..."

well can't say for sure but at this point in John's writing i think it's fair to say there was still a little tension between them... eye popping smiley

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 04:48 by hopkins.

Date: June 2, 2017 04:47

I remember my older brother and I listening to John say "I buried Paul" at the end of Strawberry Fields Forever when we were little kids - it really gave me the willies.
It was years later when I found out the truth - "Cranberry Sauce".

Date: June 2, 2017 04:49

he buried cranberry sauce??

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 05:47

whitem8
I do hear a difference. First, the vocals. Far more prominent and center. Especially the backing vocals. Sublime! I have heard several small details as well that I hadn't heard before. From bits of percussion to strange sounds. Giles did an amazing job remixing and bringing out more life to the recording.

I am super excited to hear what he does with the White album release that has been confirmed for next year! YAY!

There are LOTS of sounds and bits of percussion that I am hearing for the first time. And, to tell you the truth, it's a bit off putting.

Enjoying the music for what it is, and Peppers is NOT my favorite Beatles record by a l-o-n-g shot, and all of a sudden little cymbals or snares pop in and up, then drop out...really odd. Does NOT make it a better release or version of the record for me.

How do we KNOW these noises - coz that's what they are - ARE on the original tapes - ANYONE could have played this stuff in 2017 and added them to the record...just askin'.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 05:48 by bitusa2012.

Date: June 2, 2017 07:35

Interesting bitusa2012, and that takes me back to my earlier Frankenstein analogy lol. Along with taking him apart, then sterilizing and fixing any damaged innards, they put him back together with non invasive surgery - and maybe they even swapped out a few old parts for something new? And even added new bits and pieces to make him look even better?

Personally I wouldn't think they would add newly recorded parts, but rather they polished the old stuff so thoroughly that it sounds unfamiliar and even "new".
In that sense, kind of makes you yearn for the original - warts and all - the way it was intended, but at the same time it's kind of of cool in a freak show kind of way to hear everything as perfectly possible with the state of the art equipment that is used today. Maybe it's a bit sterilized, but still interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 07:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 2, 2017 07:48

Looking forward to my order arriving.

A couple months ago I picked up a newly, or recently remastered, version of Pepper, and there were so many new things crystal clear -- like at the end of each solo of Fixing A Hole you could hear the guitarist's fingers sliding off the strings, and also those guitar solos sounding so much richer, fuller.

Casual listeners don't understand that the way they've always heard them isn't the way they sounded in sessions and in control room playbacks. A world of difference!

Anyone who really treasures the music just wants to be close as possible to how it really sounded, how it really felt to be truly in the room with the music.

An experience like that is like hearing it for the first time all over again, so yes it's worth it, and I look forward to these outtakes discs I've heard so much about.

Bring it on! White album too -- and how about Rubber Soul, Revolver, and all the rest? I've got sessions bootleg material, so I know there's loads of stuff available.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 2, 2017 08:30

bitusa2012
How do we KNOW these noises - coz that's what they are - ARE on the original tapes - ANYONE could have played this stuff in 2017 and added them to the record...just askin'.

Wow!

We have to trust that Giles Martin is not cheating.

Have you listened to his account of what they were trying to achieve with the re-mixing?

Because The Beatles themselves were present and worked at length on the MONO mix but were not there for the Stereo, Giles has used the template of the MONO to create the Stereo (I hope that makes sense).

I guess a comparison listen to the recent Mono and the new Stereo is in order one day to check that.

I've heard several interviews with him on this subject and he does sound genuine.

I'd also guess that if he added specious sounds out of the blue he'd be out of a job forever!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 2, 2017 15:16

In my opinion they succeeded at making the Stereo version great like the Mono. This is magnificent to me, but certainly it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 16:49

I agree, this sounds stunning! I can't wait to hear what he does with the White Album!

Date: June 2, 2017 17:46

CaptainCorella

Because The Beatles themselves were present and worked at length on the MONO mix but were not there for the Stereo,

That is one of the points I was originally making - Mono is the intended way where the Beatles were completely involved with the mix, while they had little to zero interest in the stereo version. That said, Paul is probably involved in some way in this new mix, or at the least it has been given his approval, so seems all good. But what would John think? And what would George think? And Ringo....smiling smiley

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 3, 2017 00:03

I have a lot of boots of the material, but looking forward to this box set, when the $$$ comes down, LOL!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 3, 2017 01:08

Hairball
CaptainCorella

Because The Beatles themselves were present and worked at length on the MONO mix but were not there for the Stereo,

That is one of the points I was originally making - Mono is the intended way where the Beatles were completely involved with the mix, while they had little to zero interest in the stereo version. That said, Paul is probably involved in some way in this new mix, or at the least it has been given his approval, so seems all good. But what would John think? And what would George think? And Ringo....smiling smiley

I've heard an interview with Giles where he says that of course Paul & Ringo have approved, referring to them as "his boss".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 3, 2017 08:35

The True Story of the Vox UL730: the Amp Behind Sgt. Pepper's
[reverb.com]
"So much has been made of The Beatles’ musical gear over the years, thanks in large part to their television and movie appearances. Even Fab Four lovers who normally couldn’t care less about equipment know about the Rickenbacker 12–string guitar, the Hofner violin bass, and the Vox AC30 amplifiers.
But with the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band upon us, it’s time to look at one piece of Beatles equipment that gearheads and non–gearheads alike should know and revere but don’t.
It’s no exaggeration to say that it’s both at the heart of the Sgt. Pepper’s sound and just about totally unknown.
Is it a trumpet? A tape loop? A swardmandal? No, it’s a funky Vox amplifier with only about 100 units produced and most of them promptly destroyed: the UL730...."
... ...

Date: June 3, 2017 22:27

Deconstructing "A Day in the Life" (hendrix helps?)
[www.youtube.com]

The Complex Simplicity of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
[www.youtube.com]

Sound engineer Geoff Emerick remembers recording The Beatles Sgt Pepper’s album
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 4, 2017 14:23

sounds fantastic. can't wait for the White album

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 4, 2017 18:45

Hairball
BBC to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles

BBC to celebrate the 50th anniversary

To mark the 50th anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles on 1 June 1967, the BBC will celebrate with programmes across radio and TV.

This documentary can now be watched online on the BBC website (only in UK, sadly):

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 4, 2017 19:39

It comes in waves, but I still really hate so so much that John isn't around to reflect on this stuff. Even back in 92 when they did the Anthology, but especially now 50 years on. You can only gleam so much from his talking during studio sessions and Paul, while I adore the guy, was the ying in that relationship that can't quite tell the whole story properly (just as John couldn't on his own). No one was ever really in John's head and reading that booklet and listening to those sessions I WISH he was still with us today. By far he's the one I'd most like to hear reflect on the Beatles, and thats not just cause he's not around today.

Although on point about the documentary, I do LOVE what Paul said about the drugs and stuff. Really honest and totally correct about how to explain it to his kids. As a younger person, its really hard to say why it worked then and doesn't seem to now. Not even just cause the drugs are heavier, but because it doesn't seem to make anyone as productive as it made those older artists. Even though they seemed high 24/7, they clearly kept it under enough control to make incredible music.

OT: Drummers takes on Ringo Starr
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 6, 2017 16:58

Interesting read. Is there a similar article re Charlie and his work for the Stones?

[www.moderndrummer.com]

Re: OT: Drummers takes on Ringo Starr
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 6, 2017 17:42

Thanks for posting the article, dmay. Good read.
Don't know if there's a simiiar article about Charlie.

What I remember from that time, I was 15 in 1967, is
that Ringo was pretty underrated by non-musicans back then.
I think just because he was not doing the things Ginger Baker or Keith Moon did.
What confused me was John Lennon's answer when he was asked if Ringo was
the best drummer in the scene back then he said: "He wasn't even the
best drummer in The Beatles." Hope this was meant as a joke.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 6, 2017 18:16

Phil Good
Thanks for posting the article, dmay. Good read.
Don't know if there's a simiiar article about Charlie.

What I remember from that time, I was 15 in 1967, is
that Ringo was pretty underrated by non-musicans back then.
I think just because he was not doing the things Ginger Baker or Keith Moon did.
What confused me was John Lennon's answer when he was asked if Ringo was
the best drummer in the scene back then he said: "He wasn't even the
best drummer in The Beatles." Hope this was meant as a joke.

It was a joke but not by John Lennon.
It was by comedian Jasper Carrott in 1983.

[www.beatlesbible.com]
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 6, 2017 20:02

Ringo is only underrated by people who don't understand what makes a band gel.

He gave the Beatles' music more punch and swing than they otherwise would have had. They would have been the worst with Pete Best.

Q: How do you know a drummer's at the door?
A: The knocking speeds up/He doesn't know when to come in.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 6, 2017 20:13

Both Ringo and Charlie were pioneers of rock drumming, because no one before them had played tunes quite like that.

I put Mitch Mitchell in that category, too, because no one had been quite like Hendrix before, either.

Yes, lots of flashier drummers out there, and, arguably, better. Ian Paice of Deep Purple is one of the most underrated drummers in the history of rock, and I've always been a big fan of Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, and many others.

But, Ringo and Charlie played what was needed.... a GREAT backbeat, solid tempos, and just the right "feel" for the music. Anything "busier" would have detracted from the overall sound.

Q: What is the difference between an extra large pizza and a rock drummer.

A. The extra large pizza CAN feed a family of four.

smileys with beer

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: June 6, 2017 22:01

Drummers like Ringo, Charlie, Mick Avory keep the soul of a band on the straight and narrow. Never bought into the big basher crap. I'll take Charlie over Ginger Baker or Keith Moon anytime.

Date: June 7, 2017 01:18

Q: How can you tell a drummer is walking behind you?
A: You can hear his knuckles dragging on the ground.

Q: Why did the drummer stare at the frozen juice can?
A: Because it said, "Concentrate".

Q: What do Ginger Baker and black coffee have in common?
A: They both suck without Cream.

Q: How is a drum solo like a sneeze?
A: You can tell it's coming, but you can't do anything about it.

Q: What do you call a drummer with half a brain?
A: Overqualified.

Q: Why are band breaks limited to only 20 minutes?
A; So you don't have to retrain the drummer.

I once asked a drummer how to spell "Mississippi".
He said, "the river or the state?"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home