Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 15, 2017 23:12

Regarding Tim de Lisle's write-up on Sgt. Pepper and the times in which it was released, I found myself merely skimming over the article, because I was disagreeing with some things very early on.

"Thursday, June 1, 1967, a day that now lies closer to World War I than to our time."

Well, I was born 10 months before, so it's part of the soundtrack that has always felt closer to my time.

"...Pete Townshend of the Who, who went on to write the world’s first rock opera."

Sadly misinformed. The first full-length rock opera was:

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 00:46

Is this a Stones site?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 16, 2017 01:00

potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yes and this is a dedicated thread for all Beatles related posts as sanctioned by the website's owner, curator and your host, bv.
If you have any issues with it I suggest you contact him personally at iorr@arena.no rather than keep trolling on here.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 01:42 by Deltics.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2017 01:08

stonehearted
Regarding Tim de Lisle's write-up on Sgt. Pepper and the times in which it was released, I found myself merely skimming over the article, because I was disagreeing with some things very early on.

"Thursday, June 1, 1967, a day that now lies closer to World War I than to our time."

Well, I was born 10 months before, so it's part of the soundtrack that has always felt closer to my time.

"...Pete Townshend of the Who, who went on to write the world’s first rock opera."

Sadly misinformed. The first full-length rock opera was:

Yes it's a long article and some of it is off base and/or full of fluff, but there is some interesting tidbits deep within - like this:

"Geoff Emerick (original engineer on Sgt Peppers), still making records at 70, is no longer a member of the court, which allows him to speak his mind. “All that reissue stuff,” he says, from his home in Los Angeles’s Laurel Canyon, “it’s just the record company, and the Beatles, trying to make money out of it. As far as I’m concerned, you just don’t touch it—it’s like the Sistine Chapel. Well, why would you? It can only be for the money.”'

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2017 01:51

Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yes and this is a dedicated thread for all Beatles related posts as sanctioned by the website's owner, curator and your host, bv.
If you have any issues with it I suggest you contact him personally at iorr@arena.no rather than keep trolling on here.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 16, 2017 11:04

Thanks for your answers regarding "Twist And Shout"!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 16, 2017 11:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 16, 2017 13:02

I don't dislike this Dylan's cover.smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 16, 2017 18:52

From NME, 2007

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship
Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.
Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
“George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?” he asked.
Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: “If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody.”
Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumours of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, “They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is.” Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: “I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up… He’s just so damn effortless.”

Date: May 17, 2017 00:16

Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!

Date: May 17, 2017 00:30

potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!
My nice what? confused smiley

Date: May 17, 2017 02:04

potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yep!
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2017 02:09

Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yep!
[www.youtube.com]

Of course it is!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 17, 2017 02:11

Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yep!
[www.youtube.com]

smileys with beer
[www.youtube.com]
bill wyman!!

The Dirty Mac - Live/Rehearsals At The Rock And Roll Circus, December 1968
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2017 02:22

hopkins
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

Yep!
[www.youtube.com]

smileys with beer
[www.youtube.com]
bill wyman!!

The Dirty Mac - Live/Rehearsals At The Rock And Roll Circus, December 1968
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2017 02:27

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 17, 2017 02:33

There's a thread elsewhere on IORR about Pirates of the Carribean, and Paul's upcoming appearance in it has been mentioned.

I told a friend about it, and he (wittily I think) responded.

One other thing regarding Macca's appearance in the new Pirates film: its subtitle, "Dead Men Tell No Tales" will surely add fuel to the flames of the 'Paul Is Dead' conspiracy theorists

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:30

Hairball
Evidently Graham's a big fan!

"The Beatles were the best band in the world, there's absolutely no question about it"!

Graham Nash On The Beatles

That's very cool - thanks for posting. I actually met Graham Nash at the opening of Linda McCartney's photo exhibit in LA in 1993. I was in a small group looking at a photo of Hendrix, and Twiggy (the former fashion model) said "Didn't she just CAPTURE Hendrix perfectly?" and Nash said "Yes, she did." I just stood there staring at them, it was so surreal.

Date: May 17, 2017 09:19

drbryant

That's very cool - thanks for posting. I actually met Graham Nash at the opening of Linda McCartney's photo exhibit in LA in 1993. I was in a small group looking at a photo of Hendrix, and Twiggy (the former fashion model) said "Didn't she just CAPTURE Hendrix perfectly?" and Nash said "Yes, she did." I just stood there staring at them, it was so surreal.

In the early 1970s I bought a big print of this Jimi poster (featured here [sharphendrix.blogspot.com.au]). Ever since it's been on the wall wherever I've lived. In the 1990s I discovered that it was based on a photo taken by Linda McCartney in New York on 5 July 1967.. Awesome.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 09:23 by CaptainCorella.

Date: May 17, 2017 09:29

CaptainCorella
drbryant

In the early 1970s I bought a big print of this Jimi poster (featured here [sharphendrix.blogspot.com.au]). Ever since it's been on the wall wherever I've lived. In the 1990s I discovered that it was based on a photo taken by Linda McCartney. Awesome.

That's awesome.
I have a great oversized book of 'Rock poster Art' I bought in the late '70s and that image is on the cover.

Just found it on Amazon - looks like it has appreciated greatly in value since then!

Get On Down - A Decade of Rock And Roll Posters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 09:32 by Hairball.

Date: May 17, 2017 13:12

Hairball
CaptainCorella
drbryant

In the early 1970s I bought a big print of this Jimi poster (featured here [sharphendrix.blogspot.com.au]). Ever since it's been on the wall wherever I've lived. In the 1990s I discovered that it was based on a photo taken by Linda McCartney. Awesome.

That's awesome.
I have a great oversized book of 'Rock poster Art' I bought in the late '70s and that image is on the cover.

Just found it on Amazon - looks like it has appreciated greatly in value since then!

In the early 1980s we got it framed and used non-reflective glass. Possibly the best thing I ever did.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 17, 2017 18:19

CaptainCorella
Hairball
CaptainCorella
drbryant

That's awesome.

In the early 1980s we got it framed and used non-reflective glass. Possibly the best thing I ever did.

Smart move, as it might have faded a lot by now.
As for my book it's seen much better days...peaking in c'79 and it was all downhill from there haha.
Having been stacked, piled, moved, stored, and basically mishandled over the years, it's a miracle it's still intact, but truthfully that's a slight exaggeration as it's in pretty good condition considering how many years I've had it. Every page/poster within is still in excellent condition, and while I've been tempted over the years to cut one or two out to display on wall (the '75 Stones dragon tongue poster for example), thankfully I resisted. thumbs up

Date: May 17, 2017 18:30

Deltics
potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!

Very nice

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 17, 2017 19:07

CaptainCorella
drbryant

In the early 1970s I bought a big print of this Jimi poster (featured here [sharphendrix.blogspot.com.au]). Ever since it's been on the wall wherever I've lived. In the 1990s I discovered that it was based on a photo taken by Linda McCartney in New York on 5 July 1967.. Awesome.

That's definitely the photo we were looking at. Must admit Twiggy was right. That really is a great photo. Linda had real talent.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:43

potus43
Deltics
potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!

Very nice
very nice indeed as is mr potus

Date: May 18, 2017 17:01

MrMibbs
potus43
Deltics
potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!

Very nice
Some narcissism going on here, mickscarey.

Date: May 18, 2017 18:52

Hairball
My favorite Beatles album has always been Revolver. And as of today, next would be the White album, then Abby Road, back to Rubber Soul, and then a grab bag toss up between Sgt Peppers., HELP, and the rest, but this could all change tomorrow (except for Revolver at #1 and White album at #2). I do have a soft spot for A Hard Days Night as I remember my dad singing the title track when he'd get home from work - possibly my very first memories. He bought my brother and I every single Beatles album as they were released, so to say the Beatles are a huge part of my life would not be an exaggeration.

*Also Yesterday and Today - even though a compilation, might be a contender for one of my favorites.
I have vivid memories of playing that constantly while building Universal monster models down in our basement c.'66.

It looks like the White Album is the next reissue project.

“The White Album, which is the next release – that is where they started becoming indulgent,” Giles told the BBC in a new interview. “There are 70 takes of ‘Sexy Sadie,’ for instance. The efficiency went slightly out the window. There’s a lot of stuff. So, it’s getting the balance right.”

Beatles' Next Expanded Reissue Project Will Focus on the White Album

Date: May 18, 2017 19:18

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
My favorite Beatles album has always been Revolver. And as of today, next would be the White album, then Abby Road, back to Rubber Soul, and then a grab bag toss up between Sgt Peppers., HELP, and the rest, but this could all change tomorrow (except for Revolver at #1 and White album at #2). I do have a soft spot for A Hard Days Night as I remember my dad singing the title track when he'd get home from work - possibly my very first memories. He bought my brother and I every single Beatles album as they were released, so to say the Beatles are a huge part of my life would not be an exaggeration.

*Also Yesterday and Today - even though a compilation, might be a contender for one of my favorites.
I have vivid memories of playing that constantly while building Universal monster models down in our basement c.'66.

It looks like the White Album is the next reissue project.

“The White Album, which is the next release – that is where they started becoming indulgent,” Giles told the BBC in a new interview. “There are 70 takes of ‘Sexy Sadie,’ for instance. The efficiency went slightly out the window. There’s a lot of stuff. So, it’s getting the balance right.”

Beatles' Next Expanded Reissue Project Will Focus on the White Album

OMG!!!!! eye popping smiley grinning smiley

Thanks Cristiano - much more looking forward to this than the Sgt. Peppers 50th.
When the White album came out, I was just old enough to grasp it all vs. Sgt.Peppers which I have no absolute clear memory of being released (only the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single).
The White album has always spoken to me much more deeply, and being a double there was twice as much to appreciate.
Now throw in piles of demos and outakes, and it might be the mother of all Beatles re-releases!

smileys with beer

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 18, 2017 21:07

Deltics
MrMibbs
potus43
Deltics
potus43
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
potus43
Is this a Stones site?

smileys with beer
Your nice!

Very nice
Some narcissism going on here, mickscarey.
not sure what that means

Date: May 18, 2017 21:16

A narcissist falls in love with his own mirror image..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home