Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 5, 2017 20:17

lrix- personally I'm okay if they put the 2 songs in order they feel correct. Would be nice to hear it the way they wanted to be, just like "Let It Be" as you mentioned. On the same note I'm for Ya-Ya's being redone with the 5 new songs in order with sound mastered to fit in unnoticed.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 5, 2017 22:40

Sgt. Pepper Anniversary Edition: [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] has now an article with more details of all Tracks (Mixes, Takes).

Official Trailer: [www.YouTube.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 22:45 by Irix.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 5, 2017 23:34

As The Stones (allegedly of course) always followed The Beatles, can we expect a 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe of TSMR at the end of the year?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 5, 2017 23:48

How about a 50th Anniversary of BB next year? That would be quite awesome!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 6, 2017 07:01

Inside the Beatles’ Lost ‘Sgt. Pepper’-Era Track ‘Carnival of Light’
By Dave Lifton April 5, 2017 9:48 AM

"The song was created for two events that were being held at London’s Roundhouse Theatre on Jan. 28 and Feb. 4 that was alternately known as both the Million Volt Light and Sound Rave or the Carnival of Light Rave. David Vaughan, who was promoting the happenings, asked Paul McCartney to contribute some music, and the Beatle agreed.”'

"...thought of as a precursor to the White Album‘s “Revolution 9.”'

Paul: “I said all I want you to do is just wander around all the stuff, bang it, shout, play it, it doesn’t need to make any sense,” he said.
“Hit a drum then wander on to the piano, hit a few notes, just wander around. So that’s what we did and then put a bit of an echo on it. It’s very free.”

"...the track runs 13:48, the longest uninterrupted recording the Beatles had done to date".

"Engineer Geoff Emerick recalled producer George Martin as saying, “This is ridiculous. We’ve got to get our teeth into something a little more constructive.”'

"McCartney had hoped to include “Carnival of Light” on Anthology 2, but George Harrison was against it".

_________________________________________________________________________________________

So...
- It was never intended for Sgt. Peppers, but rather a couple of artsy fartsy events.
- Might be interesting in a freak show kind of way (like Rev.9), but could it truly be considered a 'holy grail'?
- Lots of banging, shouting, and wandering...again, the 'holy grail'?
- 13:48 of banging, shouting, and wandering....eye rolling smiley ...yawn.
- "Ridiculous" - George Martin
- George Harrison vetoed inclusion for Anthology 2

Bottom line - don't think it would have fitted in this Sgt. Peppers release, and am glad it isn't.
That being said, I would love to hear it some day - even though once would probably enough!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 6, 2017 09:37

Japan's super deluxe edition will contain Tatebanko (Amazing Paper Diorama) as below sample.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 6, 2017 10:34

Hairball

- Might be interesting in a freak show kind of way (like Rev.9),

Until about 2 years ago I would not have questioned the above implied description of Rev No. 9.

And then...

A collection of young-ish (famous-ish) Australian musicians repeated their live touring set of the White Album.

First time round (about 4 years prior) they chickened out of Rev. No 9, playing it on the theatre PA from the actual album during the interval.

But 2 years ago their (brilliant) musical director got the 'support' orchestra/band to do a version that was both faithful to the original version and was strong, powerful, and hugely hugely enjoyable.

Sadly I've never found a recording of it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:01

CaptainCorella
Hairball

Until about 2 years ago I would not have questioned the above implied description of Rev No. 9.

And then...

A collection of young-ish (famous-ish) Australian musicians repeated their live touring set of the White Album.

First time round (about 4 years prior) they chickened out of Rev. No 9, playing it on the theatre PA from the actual album during the interval.

But 2 years ago their (brilliant) musical director got the 'support' orchestra/band to do a version that was both faithful to the original version and was strong, powerful, and hugely hugely enjoyable.

[youtu.be]

AND:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 6, 2017 14:56

Blueranger
CaptainCorella
Hairball

And then...

[youtu.be]

AND:

[youtu.be]

Thanks. I've (also) scoured down the lists at YouTube. None of these, and several others listened to, capture the energy and the "added rock" (my term) that was in the performance I mentioned. (IMHO performances of music, Beatles or Stones, that perfectly mimic the original are utterly pointless. Interesting added value, with respect, is that I go for).

(For the record, the original White Album concerts I mentioned were in 2009, the lead artists were Chris Cheney, Phil Jamieson, Josh Pyke and Tim Rogers. The musical director was Stewart D'Attietta. Added to make sure that they get the credit due).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 6, 2017 18:37

CaptainCorella
Hairball

And then...

I can't imagine anything could take it above and beyond the 'freak show' level, but I take your word for it! thumbs up
A couple of years after the White album was released, my brother manually spun Revolution #9 backwards on our cheap little stereo/turntable. Being that I was only 6 or 7 years old, have to admit it gave me the willies...
'turn me on dead man, turn me on dead man, etc.'- amidst shrieks, backwards voices, Yoko's creepy voice, and overall chaos. I had a similar chill in the same way I had when I saw the Exorcist a few years later!!! eye popping smiley smiling smiley

Still sounds creepy today, but whether or not he's literally saying 'turn me on dead man' is questionable and might be a bit of a stretch!

The Beatles- Revolution 9 Played Backwards

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 6, 2017 20:33

"Turning 50 this June, the album receives a Beatles-approved anniversary spruce-up, with Sam Okell and Giles Martin, the son of Beatles producer George, submitting a punchy, immersive new mix that rights many of the ’67 stereo’s unfortunate anomalies. (MOJO have heard it and can vouch for its thrilling presence and oomph.)"

[www.mojo4music.com]

OT - Beatles Setlist
Date: April 6, 2017 12:47

This topic is total escapism; just fantasy. I was reading the Bob Dylan thread, and realized that I would have no idea how to come up with a Dylan setlist. It must be hard even for him. With such an immense back catalog, so many "important" songs. Plus knowing his habit of radically re-imagining his songs, this opens up new possibilities. So I started thinking on who else would have a hard time doing a setlist. And it would be fun to come up with one for Beatles, just because they are still so present in music everywhere, yet are so distant from amny parts of new culture.
So it is 2017; all 4 members are still around, and they are going to do some shows at Glastonbury e.g..
Ok I started writing songs down. What I thought would be a quick list of obvious choices turned into at least 30 songs of must haves. This isn't easy at all. I am realizing that allthoigh it is all their catalog, you can't just go from "Please me" into "Walrus". With the Beatles you almost have to go chronologically. Even in fantasy.
1 - Twist & Shout
2 - I Saw Her Standing There
3 - Ticket To Ride
4 - Hey Bulldog
5 - Things We Said Today
6 - Something
7 - Strawberry Fields Forever
8 - Michelle
9 - Tomorrow Never Knows
10 - Got To Get You Into My Life
11 - With a Little Help from My Friends
12 - I Am The Walrus
13 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
14 - Revolution
15 - Help
16 - Get Back
17 - Hey Jude
18 - Day In The Life

Re: OT - Beatles Setlist
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:03

Not qualified to answer, I don't even know half of the songs on your list!

Would have loved a stripped concert in a not too large venue, with set list based mainly on Let it Be and Abby Road, with a sprinkle of Yellow Submarine cuts.

C

Date: April 6, 2017 13:12

Talk about a band that played only warhorses, haha. But seriously in '66 they were starting to mix it up. I wonder what it would have looked like if they made it into the 80's and 90's. The setlist above could be close to reality.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:30

A real Beatles-Setlist from 9-Aug-2016:

01 - A Hard Day's Night
02 - Can't Buy Me Love
03 - I've Got a Feeling
04 - Here, There and Everywhere
05 - We Can Work It Out
06 - You Won't See Me
07 - Love Me Do
08 - And I Love Her
09 - Blackbird
10 - The Fool on the Hill
11 - Lady Madonna
12 - Eleanor Rigby
13 - Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
14 - Something
15 - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
16 - Back in the U.S.S.R.
17 - Let It Be
18 - Hey Jude
19 - Yesterday
20 - Birthday
21 - Golden Slumbers
22 - Carry That Weight
23 - The End

23 Beatles-Songs out of 38 Songs in total, played by Paul McCartney on 9-Aug-2016, Verizon Center, Washington D.C. -- [www.Setlist.fm] .... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 13:35 by Irix.

Date: April 6, 2017 13:33

I'll give it a go. A Mix of what I had liked and what they would have felt obliged to play:

Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band
Love Me Do
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I Am The Walrus
Anna
If I Fell
Across The Universe
Nowhere Man
I Want You
I'm Only Sleeping
A Day In The Life
Hey Bulldog
Strawberry Fields Forever
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Come Together
Hey Jude

Encore:
A Hard Day's Night
Help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 13:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:37

1 Day in the life, 2 Come Together ,3 Sgt. Peppers, 4 Got To Get You Into My Life, 5 One After 909 , 6 Ticket To Ride, 7 Paperback Writer, 8 Dizzy Miss Lizzy, 9 Don't Let Me Down, 10 Hey Jude , 11 Drive My Car, 12, Can't Buy Me Love, 13 Day Tripper, 14 Hard Days Night , 15 Rock and Roll Music, 16 Roll Over Beethoven (in tribute to Chuck Berry songs #15 and 16 ) 17 Your Going To Lose That Girl, 18 Taxman, 19, Yellow Submarine ,20 Penny Lane , 21 Strawberry Fields, 22 Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds, 23 All You Need is Love ,24 I Am The Walrus , 25 With A little Help From My Friends, 26,Magical Mystery Tour, 27 Helter Skelter, 28 While My Guitar Gently Weeps, 29 Back In The USSR, 30 Revolution , 31 Lady Madonna ,32 Let It Be ,33 Get Back . Fireworks and everybody get home safe .

Date: April 6, 2017 13:40

It was torturous editing the list down to only 18 numbers. Impossible, really smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:50

Day Tripper
Come Together
Can't Buy Me Love
Boys/I Wanna Be Your Man
Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Long Tall Sally
Roll Over Beethoven
Back In The USSR
Nowhere Man
Paperback Writer
And Your Bird Can Sing
Taxman
Something
Please Please Me
Helter Shelter
I Want You

Encore
Ticket To Ride
Help
Get Back

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 6, 2017 15:05

If all four were alive, given the force of nature that Lennon could be, I doubt very much any of them would care about "war horses" or feel obliged to play any one song. I do think their set lists would tend to be as long as what McCartney does now, especially in light of the fact they wouldn't have just one guy carrying the load. There have been a few songs listed that Lennon never cared for at all, like Ob La Di Ob La Da, that I doubt would ever see the light of day on a Beatles set list.

Remember too that some of the songs on each of their initial solo albums were written during the Beatles's existence, like Maybe I'm Amazed, Instant Karma and a good portion of All Things Must Pass. It's left to conjecture what would have been eventually included on a Beatles album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 6, 2017 16:03

1. A Hard Days Night
2. I Want to Hold Your Hand (Lennon said in some of his last interviews he was going to tour and wanted to re-do that one)
3. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. With a Little Help From My Friends (Ringo would definitely get one)
5. Come Together
Acoustic set:
6. Dear Prudence
7. And I Love Her
8. In Spite of All the Danger
Electric
9. Strawberry Fields Forever
10. Get Back
11. Don't Let Me Down
12. Something
13. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
14. I am the Walrus (Lennon has said this is one of his favs)
15. Day Tripper
16. I Me Mine
17. Sgt Peppers Reprise
18. Day in the Life
19. Carry that Weight/The End

Encore: Hey Jude
While My Guitar Gently Sleeps
In My Life
Let it Be
Twist and Shout

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 22:48 by whitem8.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 6, 2017 17:06

Its semi impossible. I mean its not, but ANY setlist will miss so much great stuff. I could so easily do a 20 song ROCK setlist, a 20 song "softer" setlist, and a 20 song "off the beaten path" setlist and they would all be amazing. I'd just have to pick my 20 favorites, cause there's just no other way to do it:

(and pairing that down was already a list of 40 songs):

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. The Night Before
3. Hey Bulldog
4. No Reply
5. Back In The U.S.S.R.
6. Two Of Us
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Oh! Darling
9. Boys
10. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
11. I Me Mine
12. Revolution
13. Helter Skelter
14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy
15. It's All Too Much
16. Get Back

ENCORE:
17. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
18. I'm Down
19. Hey Jude
20. Twist And Shout

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 17:23 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 6, 2017 18:51

Sorry to say although a fun idea I can't imagine what todays setlist would look like. Also consider there would be more albums made after 1969. Suppose they would want to keep it fresh with songs like "doom and gloom". Just a thought.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 6, 2017 19:16

if i could devise a beatles set list based on the songs i like, it would be something like this.

in no particular order.

1. in my life
2. accross the universe
3. something
4. i saw her standing there
5. free as a bird
6. real love
7. no reply
8. here comes the sun.
9. all my loving
10. helter skelter
11. while my guiter gently weeps.
12. i am the walrus
13. a day in the life
14. magical mystery tour
15. hello goodbye
16. day tripper
17. i wanna hold your hand
18. twist and shout
19. things we said today
20. if i fell
21. yesterday
22. hey jude
23. eleaner rigby
24. dear prudence
25. and i love her
27. taxman
28. and your bird can sing
29. paperback writer
30. drive my car.

beatles were great, but not the greatest.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 6, 2017 20:03

there is a possible set list about a 81 tour of John Lennon somewhere on the net...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 6, 2017 20:09

For when the grandkids stay with us we bought a suitcase-type record player and gave them access to our record collection. What did they play over and over? The Beatles, of course. We had to explain the gaps between songs and where you found the song list, etc. They were amazed that you played BOTH sides of the record. So, we bought a player for one of the girls to have for her own, along with Meet The Beatles, vinyl. I am not one that misses vinyl as much as others, but her pleasure in the player and NEW record brought back pleasant memories for us. We look forward to getting her the Beatles catalog in more or less order to see if she will enjoy the journey with the band as much as we did.

I have pondered a Beatles reunion concert, say in the '80's or '90's. What would it have been like. By that time each of the three had had successful solo careers. I doubt if John or George would want it to be a Golden Oldies Tour. In my daydream I settled on three sets focusing on each of the three with a fourth Beatles/Ringo wrap-up set. No doubt the tour would be huge. And no doubt it would debunk the commonly repeated myth that The Beatles were a lousy live act.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2017 20:12

Hello Goodbye
She Loves You
Paperback Writer
And I Love Her
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Ticket To Ride
Yesterday
Day Tripper
I Feel Fine
In My Life
Strawberry Fields or Penny Lane
Sgt. Pepper
A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky
A Day In The Life
Magical Mystery Tour
Revolution
Birthday
Long And Winding Road or Let It Be
Come Together
Something
Hey Jude

Golden/Carry/The End
I Saw Her Standing There

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 20:37 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2017 20:33

The No Warhorse list would be equally as good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 20:36 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: April 7, 2017 07:24

bluesinc
there is a possible set list about a 81 tour of John Lennon somewhere on the net...

Wow, I would like to know what songs he was planning to play. I think there would of been a few Beatles tunes in there. And maybe a lot of Double Fantasy in the set?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 7, 2017 07:39

bluesinc.

This one?

1 - (Just Like) Starting Over
2 - I Want To Hold Your Hand
3 - Help!
4 - Kiss Kiss Kiss
5 - Woman
6 - I Am The Walrus
7 - Instant Karma!
8 - Slipping And Slidin'
9 - Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
10 - Borrowed Time
11 - Ticket To Ride
12 - Walking On Thin Ice
13 - Imagine
14 - Nobody Told Me
15 - Across The Universe
16 - One World, One People

[lennonchords.info]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home