Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 257
Re: Keith recording for "new solo album" in NYC
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 31, 2014 18:10

proudmary
TeddyB1018
latebloomer
I took Teddy's comment to mean soon as well, but I don't see the big deal. A new solo album by any of them at this point is not going to garner big sales, and I'm sure Keith is well aware of that. Nor is it what it used to be for anyone except maybe mega stars like Taylor Swift. There is a two month break between the AU/NZ tour and the rummored South American tour. If the album is released then, Keith would probably do a little publicity during the holidays, and then it would be back to the tour. I seriously doubt Mick will care, he's been busy with his own projects during this break of the tour. I imagine that, whatever Keith decides to do about the new material, he will discuss it with the Stones first.

Pretty solid thinking. I believe the idea is that Mick is busy between Stones activities promoting Get it On and producing his and Scorsese's HBO very high profile rock drama, which is in full swing and will film for the next six months. Keith doesn't do much of that, so this is his personal project. He is apparently planning to do some live dates, though I have no idea what shape the band might take. Steve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per se. For all we know, a sober Ronnie and even MT might have some involvement. Either way, this is all being coordinated with the Stones camp, and record company. Maybe the Stones touring is stretching out longer than anyone expected. But whatever Keith is doing is all right with Mick.

Movies and music or rather a solo album - these are two different beast. I still find it's very strange (at least) to release a solo album in the midst of band activity. This breaks some unwritten laws, that's why many folks here have a hard time to believe it. That's my opinion of course, you look at it differently, obviously
But the main thing - I do not want this solo album business turned as nasty as it was with his book. Then they also said it was coordinated with the Stones camp and Mick was all right with this. Turned out it was a direct lie or wishful thinking and the band almost split up as a result of the release of this book.
Moreover, Keith Richards knows only one trick for promotion of his solo projects - namely badmouthing Jagger.
I do not think the band could survive another KR' s interview like the one with London's Time where among other things he discussed Mick's genitals and claimed Marianne told him that.
What he'll tell this time - what he thinks of L'wren suicide and how Mick can't handle women?

I'm sorry if my words are a bit harsh - but at this stage I expect anything from Richards

Nah, I can see him trotting out some line like "these were my little babies, but at some point you have to let them go out and walk on their own". Besides, something needs to tie into Johnny Depp's movie. Expect Keith to be very generous about Mick : "best frontman in the business", and say that this just a little sidetrip before "we get back to the big deal".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2014 18:19

andrewt
proudmary
TeddyB1018
latebloomer
I took Teddy's comment to mean soon as well, but I don't see the big deal. A new solo album by any of them at this point is not going to garner big sales, and I'm sure Keith is well aware of that. Nor is it what it used to be for anyone except maybe mega stars like Taylor Swift. There is a two month break between the AU/NZ tour and the rummored South American tour. If the album is released then, Keith would probably do a little publicity during the holidays, and then it would be back to the tour. I seriously doubt Mick will care, he's been busy with his own projects during this break of the tour. I imagine that, whatever Keith decides to do about the new material, he will discuss it with the Stones first.

Pretty solid thinking. I believe the idea is that Mick is busy between Stones activities promoting Get it On and producing his and Scorsese's HBO very high profile rock drama, which is in full swing and will film for the next six months. Keith doesn't do much of that, so this is his personal project. He is apparently planning to do some live dates, though I have no idea what shape the band might take. Steve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per se. For all we know, a sober Ronnie and even MT might have some involvement. Either way, this is all being coordinated with the Stones camp, and record company. Maybe the Stones touring is stretching out longer than anyone expected. But whatever Keith is doing is all right with Mick.

Movies and music or rather a solo album - these are two different beast. I still find it's very strange (at least) to release a solo album in the midst of band activity. This breaks some unwritten laws, that's why many folks here have a hard time to believe it. That's my opinion of course, you look at it differently, obviously
But the main thing - I do not want this solo album business turned as nasty as it was with his book. Then they also said it was coordinated with the Stones camp and Mick was all right with this. Turned out it was a direct lie or wishful thinking and the band almost split up as a result of the release of this book.
Moreover, Keith Richards knows only one trick for promotion of his solo projects - namely badmouthing Jagger.
I do not think the band could survive another KR' s interview like the one with London's Time where among other things he discussed Mick's genitals and claimed Marianne told him that.
What he'll tell this time - what he thinks of L'wren suicide and how Mick can't handle women?

I'm sorry if my words are a bit harsh - but at this stage I expect anything from Richards

Nah, I can see him trotting out some line like "these were my little babies, but at some point you have to let them go out and walk on their own". Besides, something needs to tie into Johnny Depp's movie. Expect Keith to be very generous about Mick : "best frontman in the business", and say that this just a little sidetrip before "we get back to the big deal".

Andrew, you are a fountain of wisdom...expect soon that your exile to Vancouver island will be lifted and you'll be again welcome to join us on the mainland.

Date: July 31, 2014 18:40

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
The Stones have been done shows in 2012, 2013 and 2014. No Keith album has been released. Is proudmary a fiction writer? Because so far what it's all fiction.

Disloyal? Chose to release a solo album?

A complete mystery.

I agree skippy...I think it's a rather high, and lonely place atop of that soap box.

Best to make the climb and get all vitriolic when you actually have something to scream about.

I'd be very happy with a new solo album by Keith. IF he were to promote it in the way PM described, I'd prolly climb on that soap box with her, but we're not there yet, and I don't think we will be either.

Let's get defensive if and when we actually see an offense.

So obvious and so true.

Date: July 31, 2014 19:12

treaclefingers
andrewt
proudmary
TeddyB1018
latebloomer

Andrew, you are a fountain of wisdom...expect soon that your exile to Vancouver island will be lifted and you'll be again welcome to join us on the mainland.

Exile on Rain St.?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:19

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
The Stones have been done shows in 2012, 2013 and 2014. No Keith album has been released. Is proudmary a fiction writer? Because so far what it's all fiction.

A complete mystery.

I agree skippy...I think it's a rather high, and lonely place atop of that soap box.

Best to make the climb and get all vitriolic when you actually have something to scream about.

I'd be very happy with a new solo album by Keith. IF he were to promote it in the way PM described, I'd prolly climb on that soap box with her, but we're not there yet, and I don't think we will be either.

Well, I'm actually a writer and if you read Russian or Hebrew I can recommend you my books. It is about sex drugs punk rock and totalitarianism.
I believe that to release a solo album in the midst of the band activity is not quite the accepted practice in the rock bands - if you know examples to the contrary, please share
I don't get why my post is mystery, GasLightStreet - somebody with the insider information claims KR will release it soon, I think he knows what he'stalking about
As for publicity - I base my words on the previous scenarios and there is nothing fictional in it, it all really happened before. not once and not twice

but hey if everybody are happy, I understand that someone who does not share this joy should stick one's tongue in one's ass and shut up.
one forum one opinion one love

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:00

Under normal circumstances I would agree that to release a solo album during the band's tour is not a good thing.

On the other hand this is not exactly a normal tour, short stints and long pauses. It could go on for who knows how many more years.

The final production reflects somehow the time when it is done. If the thing is finished now, it might sound off if released in 2017!

C

Date: July 31, 2014 21:11

proudmary
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

A complete mystery.

Well, I'm actually a writer and if you read Russian or Hebrew I can recommend you my books. It is about sex drugs punk rock and totalitarianism.
I believe that to release a solo album in the midst of the band activity is not quite the accepted practice in the rock bands - if you know examples to the contrary, please share
I don't get why my post is mystery, GasLightStreet - somebody with the insider information claims KR will release it soon, I think he knows what he'stalking about
As for publicity - I base my words on the previous scenarios and there is nothing fictional in it, it all really happened before. not once and not twice

but hey if everybody are happy, I understand that someone who does not share this joy should stick one's tongue in one's ass and shut up.

I'd reply to your post in a more complete fashion, but my mouth is currently full.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:14

proudmary
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

A complete mystery.

Now hold on proudmary that's a very difficult word!
Pfew I think that's why our one forum one opinion 'friend' missed it: lucky you!!
Yes I think you are not very far from the minefield on this one smoking smiley
People obviously like to point to the past of the Stones but not on this subject...
At the same time I don't really mind if he'll bring it out now or next year.

Date: July 31, 2014 21:24

Dreamer
proudmary
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

A complete mystery.

Pfew I think that's why our one forum one opinion 'friend' missed it: lucky you!!
People obviously like to point to the past of the Stones but not on this subject...

I don't think there's much debate on what Keith 'can' be like.

I just believe that we should allow for him to actually 'screw up' before we start piling on the criticism. It's all a bit premature to be castigating the guy for:

1. Releasing a solo album between tour legs when it actually hasn't even happened (and if it did, I could personally care less, and would buy the album) and,
2. Berating him for promoting it in a way that belittles Mick, when that has not happened either.

What's happened in the past is past...if MJ's forgiven, why couldn't we just leave it at that? If he's a bastard again, I'll elbow you two OFF the top of the soap box.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 31, 2014 21:26

TeddyB1018
latebloomer

Many thanks Teddy!!

Date: July 31, 2014 21:28

Dreamer
proudmary
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

A complete mystery.

Indeed, very difficult word,Dreamer, but I learned what it is the hard way
Next year AFTER the tour will be just fine

Date: July 31, 2014 21:31

"Steve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per seSteve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per se"

..and so Waddy Watchel, Ivan Neville and Charlie Drayton are not involved on this project??!! eye rolling smiley

Date: July 31, 2014 21:40

treaclefingers
[

I don't think there's much debate on what Keith 'can' be like.

I just believe that we should allow for him to actually 'screw up' before we start piling on the criticism. It's all a bit premature to be castigating the guy for:

1. Releasing a solo album between tour legs when it actually hasn't even happened (and if it did, I could personally care less, and would buy the album) and,
2. Berating him for promoting it in a way that belittles Mick, when that has not happened either.

What's happened in the past is past...if MJ's forgiven, why couldn't we just leave it at that? If he's a bastard again, I'll elbow you two OFF the top of the soap box.

Mick received a public apology and millions $$ I've got nothing
  Ok I want to get from you new Jagger/Scorsese HBO drama and Breaking Bad

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2014 22:25

proudmary
I think that his urge is partially explained by the fact that Mick gets too much attention and affection lately, and that everybody somehow forgot about Keith Richards. That's why he does not want to wait until the end of the tour

Suspect the timing of the release is more business than personal. Perhaps to coincide with the release of another long simmering project, the Johnny Depp documentary.

As far as waiting until the end of "the tour', not sure that there actually is a tour. It's more open ended.

A few dates, some time off. A few more dates, some more time off. Do whatever in the meantime and in between time, and get back together when/if they want to do more shows.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 31, 2014 23:23

Is everybody happy ? smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 31, 2014 23:52

bye bye johnny
proudmary
I think that his urge is partially explained by the fact that Mick gets too much attention and affection lately, and that everybody somehow forgot about Keith Richards. That's why he does not want to wait until the end of the tour

Suspect the timing of the release is more business than personal. Perhaps to coincide with the release of another long simmering project, the Johnny Depp documentary.

As far as waiting until the end of "the tour', not sure that there actually is a tour. It's more open ended.

A few dates, some time off. A few more dates, some more time off. Do whatever in the meantime and in between time, and get back together when/if they want to do more shows.

Spot on! Hard to take into consideration if you're biased, though.

Date: August 1, 2014 00:07

If Keith ends up releasing this and promoting it with a handful of live dates in between the end of the Aussie dates and the rumoured 15 On Fire, it can only be a good thing, as it will keep his chops up for the next set of Stones dates.

Ronnie puts on shows in the breaks, so does Charlie, so I don't see the issue with Keith doing it.

I also imagine Depp's movie will be up-to-date enough to include a nice mea culpa from Keith about the whole Life brouhaha.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:56

GasLightStreet
corriecas
GasLightStreet
How 'bout just a reissue of the SuperHeavy album that features a second disc of the album completely remixed instead of a new one?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahahahahahhhhhhhhh
You´re the only one who wants it, i guess.

jeroen

Not quite. I was laughing at what Treaclefingers said... "For the record, I'd also like another Superheavy album".

i wouldnt laugh too hard,here are the chart positions -

SUPERHEAVY-26 U.S 13-UK

TALK IS CHEAP-24 U.S. 37-UK

MAIN OFFENDER-99 U.S. 45-UK

Date: August 1, 2014 01:22

lem motlow
GasLightStreet
corriecas
GasLightStreet
How 'bout just a reissue of the SuperHeavy album that features a second disc of the album completely remixed instead of a new one?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahahahahahhhhhhhhh
You´re the only one who wants it, i guess.

jeroen

Not quite. I was laughing at what Treaclefingers said... "For the record, I'd also like another Superheavy album".

SUPERHEAVY-26 U.S 13-UK

And now statistics with actual items sold winking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:47

DandelionPowderman

SUPERHEAVY-26 U.S 13-UK

And now statistics with actual items sold winking smiley

those are the billboard numbers-dandelion powderman i know you're a huge keith fan.i'm the same way,and for me it probably started before you were born.the first time i saw the stones i saved every dime of my money and my best friend and i wanted to see one guy-as we called him then-"fckin keith!"

he didnt disappoint-anyone who tells you the 1975 tour wasnt great is an a-hole who either watched a bunch of grainy youtube videos and listened to bootlegs or some chump who sat in the back.

it was un-freakin -real. those pictures you see of him with the leathers and the prayer scarves,leaning back from the knees with his eyes closed and just wailing on the macabre,the old teles,the gibsons-and it was just screaming,cranking out the best rhythm guitar ever played by anyone,ever.

he stood right between charlie and bill most of the time,it was like someone rowing a boat,working with a bass on one side and drums on the other.it sounded sooo good,like a dream you'd have about seeing the rolling stones.when my friend and i left our mouths were hanging open,we didnt even say anything at first we just kept giving each other these sideways glances and saying"whoa" and "wow"- after we got in the car we had worked our way up to "holy shit"

not everyone who says something negative is attacking-mostly we're just giving an opinion about a certain interview or record.you dont have to defend every note or every word,keith'll be fine.

Date: August 1, 2014 07:33

Understood, lem. But my initial point was that Talk Is Cheap sold way, way more albums than Superheavy, mainly because the market had changed drastically - because people don't buy records anymore.

Therefore, the chart positions can be a bit misguiding presented like that.

Not feeling attacked. Just tried to be a bit funny, as well as a bit informative.

PS: Great description of the 75-tour which I unfortunately was a bit too young to attend thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 22:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 1, 2014 22:18

andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
proudmary
TeddyB1018
latebloomer

Exile on Rain St.?

There is a place called "Rain City Grill" but it's on Denman street.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 3, 2014 02:19

If this was even ten years ago, I'd probably agree with Proud Mary over the poor timing. Of course, they used to make non-compete clauses part of their deals for that same reason. As far as we know Keith doesn't even have a record deal. This release will likely be through his Mindless Records imprint like VINTAGE WINOS. Sales will be negligible. Not negligible the way fans snipe at Mick's solo work (selling 300,000 copies of your album does not constitute a failure unless only platinum status qualifies as success). Even if it is tied to the Depp documentary and gets some press, the days of TALK IS CHEAP and Keith having the ability to earn a gold record came and went over a quarter of a century ago.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 3, 2014 12:53

Keith has a deal for the album with Universal, not sure which imprint.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-03 12:55 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 3, 2014 14:07

TeddyB1018

Teddy, could you shed some light on a release date,...Please.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 3, 2014 16:22

Thanks for confirming, Teddy. Thus far, Stateside they've done deals with Interscope and A&M among the UMG family of labels.

Date: August 3, 2014 22:12

corriecas
TeddyB1018

Teddy, could you shed some light on a release date,...Please.
Jeroen

Please Teddy, tell us something more...if you can!!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: August 3, 2014 23:22

Man! Keith has the skin of a reptile up close.

Date: August 4, 2014 00:20

rob51
Man! Keith has the skin of a reptile up close.

He refused to use Mick's caviar skin cream smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 4, 2014 00:40

Rolling Hansie
Is everybody happy ? smileys with beer Cheers

Not really;

I ordered a gin & tonic, a lemon squash, and a scotch'n'soda -
And not only am I STILL waiting for my order: BV apparently has deleted my call.

I guess because he considered it to be 'off-topic' here!?

Well I must say: I can't stand reading this part of the "critic's section" without some alcohol, combined with a good John Cleese witz thrown in (a reference, not only to the Cleesemeister himself but to the Mocambo side of "Love you live" too!, the dude obviously didn't get)... so: I'll get me coat.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home