Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2015 03:55

kammpberg
My two cents.....

Part of the pleasure of being a true longterm fan is being critical of an album, tour whatever. Saying that everything is classic or the greatest or was a huge success is actually worthless. There's no barometer, nothing to gauge or compare.

Personally, I'm thrilled that Keith released a new solo record. Any new material by any Stones relation to me is cause for celebration (including the new Bill Wyman album this year).

I really like Wyman's solo career and with the Rhythm Kings, but his new album was simply OK and didn't last much on my playlist.

Keith's album was very good - a solid 3 stars out of 5. To me Robbed Blind is the closest to a truly great track on the album. But in general few real "highs" just a solid release that will not get much play over the years. But that's fine. I'm thrilled he released an album.

But this talk of classic and comparing to Exile and worse is the sales figures.

To many people the sales figures are irrelevant and that's fine too. But for those who care, stop preaching what a huge success it was. Sorry 60k in the US is a dismal failure for someone of the magnitude of Keith Richards. The publicity in the US was HUGE. Multiple magazine articles and covers. Major press in every major newspaper. Oh what else - a film documentary released at the same time which also gathered huge press and exposure. Oh what else - major TV exposure and interviews. And 60k sales in the US? Sorry from a commercial standpoint that is a failure.....and that's not a criticism it's a fact. And you know what - that's OK. Just accept it for what it is.

Similar solo releases at similar times - like David Gilmour and Don Henley were way more commercially successful with far less press and exposure.

It is what it is. The Stones are a huge public relations machine and get exposure like few others....but certainly don't translate to huge sales.

They're "my" band. I love them and am thrilled when they release new material, but thru the hyperbole, be damn honest about being disappointed when it doesn't translate to overall commercial success.

Valid post kammpberg - all opinions are valid: positive, negative, and neutral.

But for me personally, and I've probably said this several times throughout this thread - sales don't mean a thing, and probably don't mean much to alot of others either.
"Commercial success" isn't something I use to measure the greatness of records by - on the contrary, especially with the generic music that sells in todays market.
Some of my favorite recordings are so obscure that they were lucky to sell anything at all. I feel kind of bad for the people who are disappointed by the lack of 'commercial success', but perhaps they're missing the point of it all which is the music itself. Whether you like it or not is one thing, but to base your opinion on sales figures seems a bit odd imo. This is not a race or a competition, and Keith seems happy with the results which is really all that matters. And if you're opinion is swayed even a bit by the sales figures, as in "boo-hoo, it's not selling well, it must not be that good"...again very odd.

The fact is, the album has exceeded most people's expectations as far as quality (I give it a 5 out of 5 easily), as well as sales and chart positions (not that this matters).
Keith went on record claiming he was pleasantly surprised by the attention it's getting with chart position, sales, etc, and who can blame him. He's over 70 years old, and he's been through hell with a disastrous head injury several years ago. He's not Mick Jagger trying to fit in with the young generation by compromising who he is, and the record is proof of that - high quality that reflects the music of classic Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 03:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 4, 2015 04:00

Great post, Keith was on the cover of every big US magazzine (Billboard, Rolling Stone) and he was on a TV show with good rating, but no one cared about his album in the US, he is a funny caracter, a storyteller but no one except die hard Stones' fans are interested on his music, 60k sold on 6 weeks is less than Mick's first week sales for GITD in the US (68k), even an epic fail as Superheavy has sold more than twice than Keith's album in the US (135k on 2011 alone, more than 150-160k by now).

The album sales are decent worldwide thanks to Europe, just like every Stones project during the last 15 years or so.
Since 2001, about 50-60% of the Stones' album sales are from Europe, 20-25% from the US and 10-15% from the rest of the world.
Up to 1997-1998 about 50-60% of their total album sales were from the US.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2015 05:10

Hairball
He's not Mick Jagger trying to fit in with the young generation by compromising who he is, and the record is proof of that - high quality that reflects the music of classic Rolling Stones.

Hmmm. Sounds like he may just be compromising who you think he is. Mick might just like contemporary pop and being popular with young people.

Anyway, Keith is just as big a part of the Stones records that have been somewhat disappointing in the past few decades as Mick. Although I agree Keith made a great record here, I'm not so quick to blame the past solely on Mick and give Keith a free ride as a result of Crosseyed Heart. I don't look CH as a classic Stones record at all. The organic production may resemble parts of records like LIB and SF a bit more that recent Stones records but I think that also has to do with the nature of the songs Keith has written and selected for the album. It's good, but it can't really be fairly compared so directly to Stones records, imo.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: November 4, 2015 05:37

CH is a gem. I discovered the rest of Keith's work through it and find it exciting and familiar.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 4, 2015 05:43

its just much better than any thing the Stones have released since 1981

Date: November 4, 2015 06:13

Naturalust
Hairball
He's not Mick Jagger trying to fit in with the young generation by compromising who he is, and the record is proof of that - high quality that reflects the music of classic Rolling Stones.

Sounds like he may just be compromising who you think he is. Mick might just like contemporary pop and being popular with young people.

It's good, but it can't really be fairly compared so directly to Stones records, imo.

As to your first point, perhaps true, but it's been detrimental to his solo career as well as what he bring to the Stones imo. And a Stones fan, everything he does now is indeed compromised because of his desire for 'contemporary pop and being popular with young people', and it seems that most here would agree.

As to your last point, different strokes for different folks - you don't like CH as much as I do obviously. Considering Keith has been the mastermind/architect behind some of the Stones best music for most of their existence, I'd say it's quite easy to compare CH directly to Stones records when they were at their best. It's the best Stones related material in decades without any question. Again, just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 06:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 06:57

Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball

Sounds like he may just be compromising who you think he is. Mick might just like contemporary pop and being popular with young people.

It's good, but it can't really be fairly compared so directly to Stones records, imo.

As to your first point, perhaps true, but it's been detrimental to his solo career as well as what he bring to the Stones imo. And a Stones fan, everything he does now is indeed compromised because of his desire for 'contemporary pop and being popular with young people', and it seems that most here would agree.

As to your last point, different strokes for different folks - you don't like CH as much as I do obviously. Considering Keith has been the mastermind/architect behind some of the Stones best music for most of their existence, I'd say it's quite easy to compare CH directly to Stones records when they were at their best. It's the best Stones related material in decades without any question. Again, just my opinion.

I don't agree. I think Mick can put out whatever sort of music he wants, and I will listen to whatever he puts out and decide if I like it or not based on what on I hear. I wouldn't say that "everything he does is compromised." Just curious - have you seen the Bob Dylan documentary "No Direction Home"? He was accused of just trying to sound contemporary and cater to the young crowd when he went electric and made Highway 61 Revisited. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I fault Mick for making sub-par records, not for trying to stay relevant.

The last time Keith surprised everyone by putting out a great album was Talk is Cheap, which in my opinion directly led to the Stones getting back together, making a new album, and going on a hugely successful tour. Crosseyed Heart can likewise be a win/win. A little healthy competition between the glimmer twins can be a good thing.

Date: November 4, 2015 07:23

Turner68
Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball

I don't agree. I think Mick can put out whatever sort of music he wants, and I will listen to whatever he puts out and decide if I like it or not based on what on I hear. I wouldn't say that "everything he does is compromised." Just curious - have you seen the Bob Dylan documentary "No Direction Home"? He was accused of just trying to sound contemporary and cater to the young crowd when he went electric and made Highway 61 Revisited. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I fault Mick for making sub-par records, not for trying to stay relevant.

The last time Keith surprised everyone by putting out a great album was Talk is Cheap, which in my opinion directly led to the Stones getting back together, making a new album, and going on a hugely successful tour. Crosseyed Heart can likewise be a win/win. A little healthy competition between the glimmer twins can be a good thing.

Yes I've seen just about everything Dylan, and that's a great film (a shame Scorsese couldn't do the same for the Stones). As for the accusations towards Dylan you mention, he was still only like 23 or 24 years old? He wasn't 70+ years old - he was still part of the young crowd, a totally different set of circumstances between that and Mick's desires to be young and relevant. And for the record, I don't want to cause any grief amongst diehard Mick fans, just making a few general observations from my perspective.

Lets put it this way: Say there was a very talented and successful Master painter who was very 'respectable'. He painted large masterpiece paintings using oil on canvas, and his skills were known around the world for decades. Then he decides he wants to stay relevant and hip with the younger kids, and starts drawing pictures with crayons on cardboard. His original fans and clients are baffled by this, and his career suffers because of it. Even the kids he was catering to and trying to stay hip with think it's kind of weird for a 70 year old to want to get in on their fun. Does he stay true to himself? Yes. Does he turn off alot of fans and clients? Yes. Has he compromised his professional career because of it? Yes.

But I agree - I think Keith's album might just reignite Mick to want to produce something of quality again. It's been a long time, I sure hope so.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 08:06

GasLightStreet
The board looks bizarre without this thread as a sticky anymore. It's very confusing.

I agree. Why isn't this Sticky? Hmm... Maybe because too many negative remarks... hot smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2015 08:11

GasLightStreet
The board looks bizarre without this thread as a sticky anymore. It's very confusing.

I concur...I'm not sure which way is up, this is disorienting.

EDIT...Damn! And just as I posted this we got a new sticky! Thanks for listening!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 08:12 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 4, 2015 08:45

kammpberg

The fact is, the album has exceeded most people's expectations as far as quality (I give it a 5 out of 5 easily), as well as sales and chart positions (not that this matters).

Can you OBJECTIVELY give CH 5 out of 5 easily if let's say Tattoo You is undoubtedly 5 out of 5, or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon is 5 out of 5, or the Beatles' Abbey Road is 5 out of 5, or Bowie's Ziggy Stardust is 5 out of 5? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I understand that you love CH, however if you were a critic writing for a magazine I don't think 5 out of 5 would be justified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 08:51 by frenki09.

Date: November 4, 2015 09:05

frenki09
kammpberg

Can you OBJECTIVELY give CH 5 out of 5 easily if let's say Tattoo You is undoubtedly 5 out of 5, or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon is 5 out of 5, or the Beatles' Abbey Road is 5 out of 5, or Bowie's Ziggy Stardust is 5 out of 5? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I understand that you love CH, however if you were a critic writing for a magazine I don't think 5 out of 5 would be justified.

You somehow messed up the quote as it was me who gives it a 5 out of 5 easily. thumbs up
(I think kammpberg gave it a 3 of 5)

And yes, I can honestly, objectively, and without a shadow of a doubt give this a 5 out of 5 easily.
I'm not a critic for a magazine - I only speak for myself. I don't get paid to give advice to people who put their trust in other's opinions, and to those who can't listen and think for themselves.

As for your picks above, I'd agree all are 5 out of 5 except for Bowies Ziggy Stardust which I would give a 4.5 out of 5.
CH has made a bigger impression on me in less than two months than Ziggy has in over 40 years - just a matter of personal taste.

Date: November 4, 2015 09:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 4, 2015 09:50

Hairball
frenki09
kammpberg

You somehow messed up the quote as it was me who gives it a 5 out of 5 easily. thumbs up
(I think kammpberg gave it a 3 of 5)

And yes, I can honestly, objectively, and without a shadow of a doubt give this a 5 out of 5 easily.
I'm not a critic for a magazine - I only speak for myself. I don't get paid to give advice to people who put their trust in other's opinions, and to those who can't listen and think for themselves.

As for your picks above, I'd agree all are 5 out of 5 except for Bowies Ziggy Stardust which I would give a 4.5 out of 5.
CH has made a bigger impression on me in less than two months than Ziggy has in over 40 years - just a matter of personal taste.

Sorry about messing up the quote. Oops. sad smiley

Date: November 4, 2015 09:51

No worries frenki09 - it happens to the best of us! smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 4, 2015 10:28

DandelionPowderman
The sales were good for today's market. Keith had better chart positions than with his previous albums. That is relevant here.

thumbs up

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 4, 2015 12:12

"The sales were good for today's market. Keith had better chart positions than with his previous albums. That is relevant here"

Dandelion, almost agree with you. Almost because I would add up the word "unexpectably" before "good" and the word "much" before "better"...

CH is still on Top 40 (# 34) of the "Mediatraffic" Global Chart, after 5 weeks. For a Keith's album (not for a Stones album, the different is huge) that's a fantastic application.

Date: November 4, 2015 12:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:09

Thanks for clarifying my quote - Yes I give CH a 3 out of fine which to me is Good. Not Excellent. Five stars to me is CLassic and very few albums ever get a five. Nothing wrong with a 3 star review in my opinion. Again, to me solid criticism is a good thing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 4, 2015 17:23

It takes at least 5 years to really understand how an album measures up.
What we know is that the album is well made and well played, to me that makes it at least 3 stars. If it's 3, 4, or 5 we will have to let time tell. My guess is 4.

Date: November 4, 2015 18:10

kammpberg
Thanks for clarifying my quote - Yes I give CH a 3 out of fine which to me is Good. Not Excellent. Five stars to me is CLassic and very few albums ever get a five. Nothing wrong with a 3 star review in my opinion. Again, to me solid criticism is a good thing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes a 3 is GOOD by all measures - it's at least above average which would be 2.5?
As for the 5 stars, it only took 2-3 weeks to come to that conclusion for me. Not to over-inflate it's greatness as some don't hear or feel it the way I did and still do, but that's my take and I'm sticking to it. There are so many personal variables to take into account that it would be impossible to say a 5 for me should be a 5 for you or anyone else (which I've never said). One would have to literally walk in my shoes to fully understand the impressions it's made on me. Upon first listening to the single Trouble prior to album release along with everyone else, I had a feeling there was something great with this album. Then a couple more tunes slowly were leaked out - each had a different sound and vibe than the other, so I was prepared for wide variety. Then when the whole cd finally made it into my player, and with an open mind, it was like re-discovering the thrill of the Stones. From start to finish, driving up and down the Pacific Coast Highway, played on repeat the first few days, giving it a break, revisiting it, digesting everything slowly but surely. Each listen brought out something new - one song might be the best one day, then another song the best a few days later. Still have a soft spot for Suspicious as that was the first that truly hit me sideways. And Illusion. And Nothing on Me. And Blues in the Morning. And Just a Gift. Etc., etc. etc. Discussing it here on IORR, analyzing and dissecting, the whole while enjoying immensely while establishing a much deeper appreciation of the experience as a whole. As is often is said by some, the Stones (or Beatles) are the soundtrack of their lives, I can safely say Crosseyed Heart is the soundtrack for a particular chapter in my life - September/October 2015. Nothing can change that, and nothing ever will. Have to say I was surprised by the impact it's made on me as that sensation hasn't been experienced in awhile - at least as far as Stones material is concerned. If I was Spinal Tap, I'd give it a 6 out of 5. cool smiley

DandelionPowderman
laertisflash
"The sales were good for today's market. Keith had better chart positions than with his previous albums. That is relevant here"

Dandelion, almost agree with you. Almost because I would add up the word "unexpectably" before "good" and the word "much" before "better"...

CH is still on Top 40 (# 34) of the "Mediatraffic" Global Chart, after 5 weeks. For a Keith's album (not for a Stones album, the different is huge) that's a fantastic application.

thumbs up

Succinct and to the point! thumbs up

Date: November 4, 2015 18:15

What kind of shoes hairball?

Date: November 4, 2015 18:24

Haha like Jimmy Buffet - flip flops. cool smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 4, 2015 21:25

I love the rolling beautiful sound of this album! its almost too pretty to listen to. its like precious have to save it just for myself. songs get stuck in your head its really unique and special this album. I still waiting for my lp to come. the birds fly to the rhythm. that's the sign of perfection.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 4, 2015 21:58

tumbled
I love the rolling beautiful sound of this album! its almost too pretty to listen to. its like precious have to save it just for myself. songs get stuck in your head its really unique and special this album. I still waiting for my lp to come. the birds fly to the rhythm. that's the sign of perfection.

..just like A Bigger Bang eye rolling smiley

Date: November 5, 2015 01:56

frenki09
kammpberg

I agree, I haven't even listened to the album yet and I'm only giving it 3 stars.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:09

As Keith likes to say about some songs of his on Stones albums, in due time it will make sense.

For some people anyway.

CH has a lot of depth on it. In it. Within it.

Date: November 5, 2015 02:10

GasLightStreet
As Keith likes to say about some songs of his on Stones albums, in due time it will make sense.

For some people anyway.

CH has a lot of depth on it. In it. Within it.

I sense you're getting a little emotional here skippy, and I vote we take a 10 minute recess to 'gather ourselves'.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:51

I gather no moss.

I gather.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 5, 2015 03:01

Keith Richards on Making Crosseyed Heart (German version)

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home