Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 23:27

Naturalust
I've got to admit the record is indeed a grower. It sounds a bit better with every listen and I get more comfortable with Keith's deliveries and emotions!

The one exception for me is "Trouble". For some reason that one just gets more irritating every time I hear it. It's so damn catchy but that just isn't what I want cause I don't like it! Damn you Keith. smoking smiley

smileys with beer
i have a love/hate relationship with "trouble" lol. sometimes i skip it and sometimes i skip towards it. glad you're enjoying the album.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 24, 2015 23:38

Suspicious and Just A Gift really flood my emotions……Keith can really croon!!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 00:26

keefriffhards
LeonidP
Stoneage
This recording will, most probably, be forgotten in a couple of weeks if it isn't followed by a tour of sorts. Tv appearances does a lot to sell the album though.
By reading here you can easily get the impression that this album is a masterpiece and a coming classic - which it isn't!

It could also be that people are excited to have some new Stones related music, and not much else going on, so they are eager to express their thoughts on it. Not to mention, the songs to many of us are very good, and for some reason that bothers other people.

yeah why does it bother people that some of us are buzzed by this album

If Mick released an album and i did not think much of it, i would say so and then leave the Mick Jagger new album thread alone

But people on this thread just keep coming back again and again to tell us that what we love is shit
I'm done with this, unless Keith decides to tour there is nothing left for me to say on here
Its so depressing we got someone yesterday saying Keith's second hand smoke probably gave his wife bladder cancer, its just despicable talk and i have had enough
Hairball says exactly what i think about just about everything so thanks to him my input is not needed anyway
Good on ya hairball your fantastic

I've been guilty of coming back again and again ... and, look, here I am again! I've tried to atone for my sins and am now focusing on creating other topics ... but I just can't resist ever now and then, 'CAUSE YOU GUYS MAKE IT SO DAMN EASY!!!

You leave yourselves wide open in two ways:

1) EVERY SINGLE SONG IS A MASTERPIECE AND BETTER THAN THE ONE BEFORE IT. I call this the LET IT BLEED syndrome, since if I was to believe the praise for CROSSEYED HEART its 15 masterpieces (100% of the total number of tracks) would kick the shit out of BB, LIB, SF, and EOMS (which, for me, range from 50-70% masterpieces each).

2) I JUST LISTENED TO CROSSEYED HEART AGAIN TODAY AND THERE IS A SONG THAT WASN'T MY FAVORITE BEFORE BUT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE NOW, EVEN MORE THAN ALL THE OTHER MASTERPIECES.

I'm exaggerating for effect, here, of course. It is terribly groovy how much joy the record has brought for so many of you. It's just that the whiners aren't the only ones succumbing to redundant hyperbole day after day! smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:01

howlingmad
Hairball
As for the album being forgotten if it isn't followed by a tour...doubtful.
There will be plenty more of Keith promo business one way or another.
And Christmas is coming - the goose is getting fat. Please put a penny in the old man's hat...lol

No, I don't expect it to hang around very long, as even a new Stones album would likely be another Top 5 debut that quickly plummeted. It's not something that will receive airplay and is going to rely solely on baby boomers remembering to buy a copy online. However, it's possible it could benefit from the combination of the Netflix doc, social media, and the holidays. Admittedly, not by much, but certainly more than what Main Offender had in terms of promotion at the time.

I can also understand fans that would prefer something more rocking or polished like Talk Is Cheap, but am still surprised by some of the reactions. Have people completely forgotten the last decade or two of what's it been like for fans in terms of new Stones music? Or maybe they're just more excited that a version of Tokyo Dome is finally coming that will have lettering officially printed on the disc? LOL

Is it really "authentic" roots music? Does it sound like an old, rich white guy revisiting the music of his youth? Is Keith Richards favoring slow ballads? Will it endure on the strength of the music or likely be an album that makes little impact on pop culture and is destined to be remembered only by Stones fans?

Hey, and what about this whole bonus track being exclusive to a retailer like Best Buy? Holy shit- has Keith gone corporate?!?!

Surely I can't be the only one to spot the 800 pound gorilla named Gregory that all those criticisms invite into the room? They might make sense coming from someone who only recently got into the Stones via the Marquee 71 release. Otherwise, it begins to feel more like complaining because it's a message board and that's what you're more or less supposed to do. LOL

Nice post howlingmad, but to be clear I'm not necessarily referring to chart success, although my initial reply might have been.
Upon further reflection, I just can't see it being 'forgotten' that quickly in the literal sense, as it's only been released for a week.
There are still plenty of casual rock fans who haven't spent their weekly allowance yet lol, and I don't think it will be in the bargain bins anytime soon
Perhaps it will fall from the charts, but the residue will linger on for quite awhile.
Bottom line - it's a damn good album that I'm sure many will enjoy for years to come - diehards and casual fans alike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 01:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:40

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards
LeonidP
Stoneage
This recording will, most probably, be forgotten in a couple of weeks if it isn't followed by a tour of sorts. Tv appearances does a lot to sell the album though.
By reading here you can easily get the impression that this album is a masterpiece and a coming classic - which it isn't!

It could also be that people are excited to have some new Stones related music, and not much else going on, so they are eager to express their thoughts on it. Not to mention, the songs to many of us are very good, and for some reason that bothers other people.

If Mick released an album and i did not think much of it, i would say so and then leave the Mick Jagger new album thread alone

But people on this thread just keep coming back again and again to tell us that what we love is shit
I'm done with this, unless Keith decides to tour there is nothing left for me to say on here
Its so depressing we got someone yesterday saying Keith's second hand smoke probably gave his wife bladder cancer, its just despicable talk and i have had enough
Hairball says exactly what i think about just about everything so thanks to him my input is not needed anyway

I've been guilty of coming back again and again ... and, look, here I am again! I've tried to atone for my sins and am now focusing on creating other topics ... but I just can't resist ever now and then, 'CAUSE YOU GUYS MAKE IT SO DAMN EASY!!!

1) EVERY SINGLE SONG IS A MASTERPIECE AND BETTER THAN THE ONE BEFORE IT. I call this the LET IT BLEED syndrome, since if I was to believe the praise for CROSSEYED HEART its 15 masterpieces (100% of the total number of tracks) would kick the shit out of BB, LIB, SF, and EOMS (which, for me, range from 50-70% masterpieces each).

2) I JUST LISTENED TO CROSSEYED HEART AGAIN TODAY AND THERE IS A SONG THAT WASN'T MY FAVORITE BEFORE BUT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE NOW, EVEN MORE THAN ALL THE OTHER MASTERPIECES.

I'm exaggerating for effect, here, of course. It is terribly groovy how much joy the record has brought for so many of you. It's just that the whiners aren't the only ones succumbing to redundant hyperbole day after day! smiling smiley

*I never get involved in the back and forth, but it begs to be asked:
Did you ever consider that the constant complaining and negativity brings others down? I really hope that's not the fun part for you. As stated, everyone's opinion is valid, but the constant, repetitive, negative posts: it's just not cool, and maybe you could think about the affect on others around you.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:46

Not a bad album,but soon forgotten.Just for Keith,s hangarounds to be remember this one

Date: September 25, 2015 01:55

35love
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards
LeonidP
Stoneage

Did you ever consider that the constant complaining and negativity brings others down? I really hope that's not the fun part for you. As stated, everyone's opinion is valid, but the constant, repetitive, negative posts: it's just not cool, and maybe you could think about the affect on others around you.

True to the above.
Plus it takes time to digest a brand new album. Time to let it flow, to let it grow, and then for people to express the progress on how it's captivating them.
The conversation could take several weeks, maybe months, and maybe even years! So it only seems natural that we'll be seeing varying degrees of how much one likes this or that, or how a tune that was not-so-great has suddenly become a favorite. Some people will also dislike it, will then express themselves, and most of the time move on to something that's more interesting for them.

We're not professional critics who spit out a review and forget about it. We're mostly real fans that cherish the moment,
and tend to let these things 'grow' at their own pace - not to be structured by someone else's short attention span standards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 01:58 by Hairball.

Date: September 25, 2015 02:02

harlem shuffle
Not a bad album,but soon forgotten.Just for Keith,s hangarounds to be remember this one

Your Honor, the defense rests. confused smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2015 02:06

Hairball

True to the above.
Plus it takes time to digest a brand new album. Time to let it flow, to let it grow, and then for people to express the progress on how it's captivating them.
The conversation could take several weeks, maybe months, and maybe even years! So it only seems natural that we'll be seeing varying degrees of how much one likes this or that, or how a tune that was not-so-great has suddenly become a favorite. Some people will also dislike it, will then express themselves, and most of the time move on to something that's more interesting for them.

We're not professional critics who spit out a review and forget about it. We're mostly real fans that cherish the moment,
and tend to let these things 'grow' at their own pace - not to be structured by someone else's short attention span standards.

I think that's well put Hairball. I've generally kept from long comments on this record because I've been giving it a chance to sink in as a complete work. No doubt my feelings about it are changing. Endearing is an adjective I'd use today, both of the music and the man behind it.

On the other hand I don't mind a bit of contrary or negative reaction and balance here, actually ge a kick out of people exercising their free speech and honest opinions and poking a little fun at the folks who are treating the record like the next coming of Christ. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 02:18

When your critics have to start using ALL CAPS you know you've done something right winking smiley

Date: September 25, 2015 03:04

Naturalust
Hairball

True to the above.

I think that's well put Hairball. I've generally kept from long comments on this record because I've been giving it a chance to sink in as a complete work. No doubt my feelings about it are changing. Endearing is an adjective I'd use today, both of the music and the man behind it.

On the other hand I don't mind a bit of contrary or negative reaction and balance here, actually ge a kick out of people exercising their free speech and honest opinions and poking a little fun at the folks who are treating the record like the next coming of Christ. smoking smiley

Yes true Naturalist - all opinions welcome of course! Freedom of speech! The Good, the bad, and the ugly!
But after multiple posts with the same complaints by the same person in the same thread, it borders on troll-ishness - if that's a word.

Admittedly, I've been known to crash a Springsteen thread for example, and give a quick bashing amidst all of the worshippers (not recommended for the tame of heart by the way).
I'll always quickly retreat and bow out gracefully without revisiting to see what kind of havoc my comment may have caused - well maybe just a quick peak, cool smiley
Beyond that, I certainly wouldn't keep raining on the Springsteen parade by posting the same negativity over and over and over again. Why bother?

Turner68
When your critics have to start using ALL CAPS you know you've done something right winking smiley

lol cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 03:06 by Hairball.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 25, 2015 03:04

I like Keith's first solo over this one. Not enough rockers for me. Oh well Keith is 71 or so

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 25, 2015 03:13

I notice that the first song and last song have similar intro and exit. then I noticed today most of the songs have a heart beat in them. the middle songs do not have the heart beat. its just a wonderful construction all in all. like a poem. lovers plea makes me cry because ben cauley put his screaming trumpet at the very end. and that is so prophetic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 03:14 by tumbled.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 07:48

35love

You're right, 35love; it is not cool.

I've had fun, guys and gals, but I really don't belong here. This is a fan board, and although I love this band in many complicated ways, I'm not really a fan. I like to discuss, criticize, analyze, and I know I repeat myself and come off as a naysayer. I don't want to be a bummer; I'm just too far out of step.

I wish you all the best, I really do. I admire your fandom in many ways and you are a good group of crazy sons'a'bitches!

Couple of personal notes:

Young riffhards—don't ever change, son. You are a treasure and I'm sorry I caused you grief.

NL—like Dorothy said to the Scarecrow, I think I'll miss you most of all. As Bobby Z once sang, perhaps we'll meet again one day on the avenue.

So long ... and thanks for all the fish!

-Kiley

Date: September 25, 2015 08:52

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 25, 2015 10:23

Keith is rocking, playing the blues singing heartfelt songs
And making us dance too.just what the doctor ordered for the winter coming, love the cd longer the better with nice glass of wine and dancing the night away with the one you love or play it LOUD AT PARTIES, OUR KEITH IS BACK as we like him.
KEITH IS ALIVE AND KICKING WILL ROCK TILL HE DROPS.
ONE LOVE.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 25, 2015 11:04

Yeah Yeah...Finally got my CD Today!!!!Sept 25. My god, waited so long for it. Listening to Heartstopper now.

Its a Lovely day!!!

One Love

jeroen

Date: September 25, 2015 11:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2015 12:06

LongBeachArena72, if you leave, this will be more of a "fan board" than ever, and poorer because of it. We need the proper sweet-and-sour mix to make it taste right.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2015 12:25

kish_stoned
And making us dance too.just what the doctor ordered for the winter coming, love the cd longer the better with nice glass of wine and dancing the night away with the one you love or play it LOUD AT PARTIES, OUR KEITH IS BACK as we like him.
ONE LOVE.

thumbs up

Date: September 25, 2015 12:36

KRiffhard
kish_stoned
ONE LOVE.

thumbs up
smileys with beerBlues in the morning is kicking ass!! what aGREAT GREAT CD keef has given us!!
Some Gigs next, please Keef !!
Jeroen

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 25, 2015 12:52

Jeroen, u are right keep on rocking to keith, would have been nice with dvd when the songs were recorded,sound is raw and feel is like live band, yea few live concerts would be great our keith has only time for his lemon trees, hahaha.
Keith is rock-roll,good for the fans who love him.
PLAY IT LOUD AND GET YOUR ROCKS OFF.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 13:06

Parts of the album are now seriously starting to grow on me.

I was underwhelmed when I first heard the single Trouble but now find myself constantly replaying it. 'Vintage' modern Keef sound, familiar but minimalist riffing, catchy chorus.

Suspicious is also very good. I like Nothing On Me and Love Overdue.

So far it's better than Main Offender but not up there with Talk Is Cheap.

More listening is required!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2015 14:03

corriecas
KRiffhard
kish_stoned
ONE LOVE.

thumbs up
smileys with beerBlues in the morning is kicking ass!! what aGREAT GREAT CD keef has given us!!
Some Gigs next, please Keef !!
Jeroen

Nothing on me-Robbed Blind-Lover's plea-Just a gift...great poker!

Date: September 25, 2015 14:22

Listened to CH most of the morning. IMO its his best album.
1 Crosseyed heart. 2. Talk is Cheap 3. Main Offender

Production wise, his voice, the diversity of the songs and man, the ballads, the ballads.

Keef, please dont wait another 23 years for your next album. hahahaha

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 15:39 by corriecas.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2015 15:16

Hey LBA72, I too am hoping you will reconsider your decision to bail on us here. I have truly enjoyed reading your words and don't think you can measure your value here by whatever standards of fandom seem to have motivated your decision. You have enriched the discussions here with your humor, wit, intelligence and general love of music....as Green Lady said and I agree, the place will be poorer without you. Please don't go.

Date: September 25, 2015 15:34

corriecas
Listened to CH most of the morning. IMO its hiss best album.
1 Crosseyed heart. 2. Talk is Cheap 3. Main Offender

Production wise, his voice, the diversity of the songs and man, the ballads, the ballads.

Keef, please dont wait another 23 years for your next album. hahahaha

Jeroen

I'm hoping that the next great Keith album will be the Stones album next year!!

On another note, I don't consider myself a blind Keith loyalist. If this album sucked in places it would be disappointing but I would have no choice but to acknowledge them. But Cross-eyed Heart is such a beauty, I can only speak for myself that the stars were aligned. You could feel the buildup from their 2012 London shows to now.

And I listen to lots of other great music, can't wait to pick up New Order's new album today!!

Date: September 25, 2015 16:00

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 25, 2015 16:11

Some debuts so far:

#5 New Zealand
#6 Argentina, Japan
#8 Belgium (Flemish)
#10 Belgium (Walloon)
#19 Ireland

Later today it will debut on the UK chart.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 25, 2015 16:22

It's not a race, is it?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home