Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: 'Beggars Banquet' - the most perfect Stones album.
Date: February 1, 2014 23:22

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
<It is everything the Rolling Stones are about..>

It lacks a fast rhythm and blues-number. Apart from that, SF is almost everything the Rolling Stones are about - at least musically.

Sound-wise and personell-wise it isn't, of course...

also missing some hot funk/disco

While that can be fun as well - it's not quite what the Stones is about, is it? grinning smiley

Disagree completely...the stones is about co-opting musical styles and making it their own.

we DON'T disagree smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2014 17:33

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

It lacks a fast rhythm and blues-number. Apart from that, SF is almost everything the Rolling Stones are about - at least musically.

While that can be fun as well - it's not quite what the Stones is about, is it? grinning smiley

Disagree completely...the stones is about co-opting musical styles and making it their own.

It's difficult to get into a proper tête-à-tête if you're going to be so agreeable!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2014 17:36

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

It's difficult to get into a proper tête-à-tête if you're going to be so agreeable!

what the heck is that? Montreal talk?

Date: February 2, 2014 18:26

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

that there is Cajun son.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2014 18:49

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

that there is Cajun son.

Too many vowels fer cajun

Date: February 2, 2014 19:04

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

that there is Cajun son.

Too many vowels fer cajun

sorry about that...I was having a vowel movement.

Date: February 2, 2014 21:17

grinning smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 3, 2014 04:19

Great album, prefer it to LIB (which of course is also great).

There is a slight change in sound with LIB. BB is rougher sounding, whereas LIB is more cleanly recorded. The same is true of the Beatles' White Album which has a rough sound as compared to the cleaner Abbey Road album. The recording technology changed with Abbey Road, the valve (tube) mixing desk at EMI Studios was replaced with a solid state / transistor driven desk. Perhaps the same happened at Olympic Sound studios when the Stones came to record LIB.

Date: February 3, 2014 06:16

WeLoveYou

There is a slight change in sound with LIB. BB is rougher sounding, whereas LIB is more cleanly recorded. The same is true of the Beatles' White Album which has a rough sound as compared to the cleaner Abbey Road album. The recording technology changed with Abbey Road, the valve (tube) mixing desk at EMI Studios was replaced with a solid state / transistor driven desk. Perhaps the same happened at Olympic Sound studios when the Stones came to record LIB.

Or maybe because they didn't record everything through Keith cassette deck first?!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 3, 2014 09:42

WeLoveYou

Olympic at Church Road, Barnes was that way since it opened in 1966.

Date: February 3, 2014 09:43

treaclefingers

Or maybe because they didn't record everything through Keith cassette deck first?!

lol.

Date: February 3, 2014 10:24

WeLoveYou

SFTD, DD, NE, JSP, PS, FG and SOTE are all pretty cleanly recorded as ell.

SFM, PW and SCB are very dirty-sounding.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:59

pretty damn great album

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 4, 2014 01:09

You only can call a album perfect if there are no fillers all the songs are enjoyable to listen to it never gets bored even the sleeve is important and last but not least all the songs must be more or less consistent............and that counts for Beggars Banquet...

Date: February 4, 2014 02:19

Beggars Banquet would have been perfect for me if it had a bit more freakyness to it. It's there, but i'd have preferred a bit more.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 4, 2014 03:35

His Majesty
Beggars Banquet would have been perfect for me if it had a bit more freakyness to it. It's there, but i'd have preferred a bit more.

Hmmm... a bit more like this?

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 4, 2014 08:57

His Majesty

Well, everybody's tastes are different, but isn't that what the Stones were trying to get away from.

It appears so based on some of the comments made by Mick and Keith.

The psychedelic stuff was everywhere, and had even entered the top ten and the teenybopper market and even the Monkees were doing some of it.

When a trend gets to saturation point then there is a point where some will break away from it, because there are too many doing it and then the public tend to get a bit bored with it after a while as well.

Keith's comments about the chorus of JJF are in sync with the chords being part of a modal blues progression [www.harmony.org.uk] and that was what Keith was thinking for the chorus and Mick was thinking "getting out of all the acid things" for the chorus and there is some psychedelic hangover with the high guitar parts but it's all very much more basic modal blues.

Brian was not going in the same direction, and was into electronic music and world music.

-----------------------------------

JJF

There was nothing about love, peace and flowers in Jumpin' Jack Flash.
- Mick Jagger

Jumpin' Jack Flash is the most basic thing we have done this time, although that may or may not be in the album (Beggars Banquet).
- Mick Jagger, June 1968

It's about having a hard time and getting out. Just a metaphor for getting out of all the acid things.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

I love Satisfaction dearly and everything, but those chords are pretty much a de rigueur course as far as songwriting goes. But Flash is particularly interesting. It's allllll right now. It's almost Arabic or very old, archaic, classical, the chord setups you could only hear in Gregorian chants or something like that. And it's that weird mixture of your actual rock and roll and at the same time this weird echo of very, very ancient music that you don't even know. It's much older than I am, and that's unbelievable! It's like a recall of something, and I don't know where it came from.
- Keith Richards, Life (2010)

-----------------------------

Beggars

There is a change between the material on Satanic Majesties and Beggars Banquet. I'd grown sick to death of the whole Maharishi guru shit and the beads and bells. Who knows where these things come from, but I guess it was a reaction to what we'd done in our time off and also that severe dose of reality. A spell in prison at Wormwood Scrubs would certanily give you room for thought! I was @#$%& pissed with being busted. So it was, Right we'll go and strip this thing down. There's a lot of anger in the music from that period.

- Keith Richards, 2003

I'm very hung-up on electronic music at present. If there is not room to include it on our album I would like to do something separately.

- Brian Jones, May 1968

Brian wasn't really involved on Beggars Banquet, apart from some slide on No Expectations; that was the only thing he played on the whole record. He wasn't turning up to the sessions and he wasn't very well. In fact we didn't want him to turn up, I don't think.

- Mick Jagger, 2003

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 09:02 by howled.

Date: February 4, 2014 16:57

howled

Brian wasn't really involved on Beggars Banquet, apart from some slide on No Expectations; that was the only thing he played on the whole record. He wasn't turning up to the sessions and he wasn't very well. In fact we didn't want him to turn up, I don't think.

- Mick Jagger, 2003

The bold part is nonsense.

I'd just have liked a bit more of the creative stuff, the experimental touches that's on Sympathy, JJF, Child of the Moon, Jigsaw Puzzle, Street Fighting Man, Stray Cat Blues and less of the pastiche country and blues. winking smiley

The pastiche stuff is fun and all, but it's not those ace musicians using their unique talents to create new, never really heard before music.

Pity that Brian didn't manage to include any electronic music. The weird moog synths in tandem with more earthy music worked a treat on the Performance soundtrack.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 17:06 by His Majesty.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 5, 2014 06:44

His Majesty
howled

- Mick Jagger, 2003

The bold part is nonsense.

I'd just have liked a bit more of the creative stuff, the experimental touches that's on Sympathy, JJF, Child of the Moon, Jigsaw Puzzle, Street Fighting Man, Stray Cat Blues and less of the pastiche country and blues. winking smiley

The pastiche stuff is fun and all, but it's not those ace musicians using their unique talents to create new, never really heard before music.

Pity that Brian didn't manage to include any electronic music. The weird moog synths in tandem with more earthy music worked a treat on the Performance soundtrack.

Yeah, Mick's forgetting a few things.

I read that Brian went to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop in 1968 [en.wikipedia.org] to check it out (the place where the Doctor Who Theme was done).

[www.abc.net.au]

The original theme is great stuff IMO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 06:55 by howled.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home