Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: 'Beggars Banquet' - the most perfect Stones album.
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:00

no there aint.

which ones?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 24, 2013 23:03

duke richardson
no there aint.

which ones?

No point naming them then.

Date: September 24, 2013 23:05

His Majesty
duke richardson
no there aint.

which ones?

c'mon, which ones..

Date: September 24, 2013 23:06

duke richardson
His Majesty
duke richardson
no there aint.

which ones?

c'mon, which ones..

You are too much of a big 4 (5) fan boy, there's no point.

Date: September 24, 2013 23:11

and many others..
this is a Stones fan board...

OK maybe I am..

(hope you can tell I'm smiling without the silly emoticons..)

c'mon, which ones..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:00

duke richardson
and many others..

OK maybe I am..

c'mon, which ones..

OK, I feel I must take the bait - and not because I like these bands better or even as much, but I give you...(and soundtracks don't count)

Led Zeppelin: 6 albums - I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti

The Beatles UK releases only of course: 6 albums - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road

Michael Jackson (not my particular cup of tea): 4 albums - Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous

Date: September 25, 2013 02:22

so there's no filler on Thriller ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 02:25 by duke richardson.

Date: September 25, 2013 02:27

duke richardson

See, no point listing them.

Date: September 25, 2013 02:28

duke richardson

I think 7 of the 9 songs were singles...I'll just give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying the albums heavy on the Treacle-rotation, but come on, a few people like it.

Date: September 25, 2013 02:30

His Majesty
duke richardson

Well anyone can make an argument for any song to be filler, I mean Jigsaw Puzzle, Parachute Woman, Dear Doctor....I love these songs but I can see some argue the point they are filler.

Maybe they are, just damn good filler.

Date: September 25, 2013 02:31

His Majesty
duke richardson

are you still up?

Date: September 25, 2013 02:35

duke richardson
His Majesty
duke richardson

are you still up?

I gave three damn good examples and the whole in the argument you find is Thriller?

The question dear duke is, are YOU still up?

Date: September 25, 2013 02:39

well it was for the cheap rhyme..

Date: September 25, 2013 02:40

duke richardson

Like on Monkey Man? grinning smiley

Date: September 25, 2013 02:51

those are great cheap rhymes...

pizza..squeezah...

thats classic stuff.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:57

DandelionPowderman
The weakest stuff on BB is better than that of LIB, though

True. Interesting discussion. I would only add that the stronger stuff on LIB is better than the stronger stuff on BB. Don't know where that leaves us.

Date: September 25, 2013 03:28

duke richardson

damn...I missed the rim shot!

Max...?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:56

treaclefingers
His Majesty
duke richardson

Well anyone can make an argument for any song to be filler, I mean Jigsaw Puzzle, Parachute Woman, Dear Doctor....I love these songs but I can see some argue the point they are filler.

Exactly, but I'd also add that those songs contribute to the unique overall sound of the record (which was the best they did up to that point...I don't think they did better with the Let It Bleed album).

Date: September 25, 2013 04:07

nightskyman
treaclefingers
His Majesty
duke richardson

Exactly, but I'd also add that those songs contribute to the unique overall sound of the record (which was the best they did up to that point...I don't think they did better with the Let It Bleed album).

A very hard to argue point either way although I think you're probably right. I would say that on that note, Exile is even better at doing that than Beggar's.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 25, 2013 05:52

Though I feel personally that no band has had the quality run the Stones had from JJF through GHS there are many acts that can rival them.
Certainly the Beatles - Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper, MMT, White Album (highly overated) andAbbey Road
Led Zep - First six albums
The Who - Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, By Numbers and Who Are You
Hendrix - Are You Experienced?, Axis Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland
CCR - Bayou Country, Green River, Willie and the Poorboys and Cosmo's Factory
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River and Born In the USA

I can go on.............These artists certainly rival the Rolling Stones afterall they are not the only rock band out there.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 25, 2013 07:12

CDs are quickly becoming history but...

Your 13-year-old brother/sister/niece/nephew/whatever is getting into music.

The first CD you give them so that they "jump in" and get with the program is Sticky Fingers. Then perhaps Beggar's Banquet. Then Let it Bleed, then Ya Ya's. Then Exile on Main Street. A new CD every two weeks and you will have created a rabid Stones fan. lol

You can tell from reading the comments that these albums live within us. The "wave" they created is flowing through time within the souls of a certain generation.

Date: September 25, 2013 10:36

carlorossi
DandelionPowderman
The weakest stuff on BB is better than that of LIB, though

True. Interesting discussion. I would only add that the stronger stuff on LIB is better than the stronger stuff on BB. Don't know where that leaves us.

It's pretty hard to come up with something stronger than Stray Cat Blues and Sympathy For The Devil, but Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler are up there, at least smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 25, 2013 12:10

treaclefingers
duke richardson
and many others..

OK maybe I am..

c'mon, which ones..

OK, I feel I must take the bait - and not because I like these bands better or even as much, but I give you...(and soundtracks don't count)

Led Zeppelin: 6 albums - I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti

The Beatles UK releases only of course: 6 albums - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road

Michael Jackson (not my particular cup of tea): 4 albums - Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous

Dylans output 1962-1970 (+1975)
Velvet Underground: 1965-1970
Hendrix: 1966-1970

Nirvana: everything
Eminem: Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers, The Eminem Show

Date: September 25, 2013 13:09

Are you guys saying that the first 6 Zep albums, the Beatles' White Album and some Michael Jackson records are all flawless/perfect/without fillers??

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 25, 2013 13:55

DandelionPowderman
Are you guys saying that the first 6 Zep albums, the Beatles' White Album and some Michael Jackson records are all flawless/perfect/without fillers??

...funny board, isn't it...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:41

DandelionPowderman

The most obscure songs on Led Zep's first six and without a doubt the Beatles last six albums are definitely on the same level as Parachute Woman and Monkey Man when it comes to popularity, critical acclaim and influence on other musicians.

Date: September 25, 2013 14:48

LieB
DandelionPowderman

The most obscure songs on Led Zep's first six and without a doubt the Beatles last six albums are definitely on the same level as Parachute Woman and Monkey Man when it comes to popularity, critical acclaim and influence on other musicians.

No, they're not, when it comes to critical acclaim or influence on other musicians. Who wants to pick up a guitar and play along with Ob-la-di Ob-la-dah?

There is weak stuff already on LZ II and III, and the White Album is 50/50 with fillers, imo. A very uneven album.

Popularity is not something we discussed in this thread. Perfection was.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:00

DandelionPowderman
LieB
DandelionPowderman

No, they're not, when it comes to critical acclaim or influence on other musicians. Who wants to pick up a guitar and play along with Ob-la-di Ob-la-dah?

There is weak stuff already on LZ II and III, and the White Album is 50/50 with fillers, imo. A very uneven album.

Well, "perfection" is a subjective opinion which depends on popularity. The White Album maybe a hodge-podge in a way, but all its songs are highly popular. Many fans (and there ARE many) would call it perfect in the same way as we go on and on about the perfection of Beggars Banquet. Personally I like Beggars Banquet much more, but I think the White Album is just as "perfect" to be honest. Same goes with Led Zeppelin III. But that's my opinion.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:05

Pretty good album but not to be compared with The Rolling Stones debut that has incredible 'Tell Me' on it....that's their perfect album to be precise.

2 1 2 0

Date: September 25, 2013 15:10

LieB
DandelionPowderman
LieB
DandelionPowderman

Well, "perfection" is a subjective opinion which depends on popularity. The White Album maybe a hodge-podge in a way, but all its songs are highly popular. Many fans (and there ARE many) would call it perfect in the same way as we go on and on about the perfection of Beggars Banquet. Personally I like Beggars Banquet much more, but I think the White Album is just as "perfect" to be honest. Same goes with Led Zeppelin III. But that's my opinion.

Of course it's subjective. My point is that White Album is so uneven, compared to Revolver, Robber Soul, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road, that it can't be compared to an album, hailed as one of the perfect albums by the Stones.

And, no, not EVERY song on the White Album is highly popular - some are very popular. You won't hear people debating whether Bungalow Bill, Ob-la-di or Rocky Raccoon are among the best ever Beatles-songs. If people do, however, I take it back. But I have never ever heard that smiling smiley

We discussed BB to be perfect in the sense of wholeness, as well as ALL the songs being superior to songs on most other Stones albums. The unique production of the album as well, of course.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home