Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Arcade Fire
Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: September 9, 2013 01:44

Three brillant albums so far.

New single leaked yesterday and sounds amazing. Rumours that Bowie is guesting on the album

Re: OT: Arcade Fire
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2013 03:12

I like them a lot. They did a fine job backing up Mick on SNL. Looking forward to the new record.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 9, 2013 04:59

Amazing band both on album and in concert. Loved them from the beginning... Bought Funeral immediately upon hearing it at a friend's house. Can't wait for the new record!

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: September 9, 2013 07:54

agreed, one of the best newer bands out there! Also, Phosphorescent, Band of Horses, Felice Brothers, Wilco, My Morning Jacket,

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 10, 2013 08:15

Aaaand its great...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:18

First started hearingbout Arcade Fire in the fall 2004. Saw them in early February 2005
at Irving Plaza in NYC. Phenomenal, inspirational show! During the encore David Byrne
came out and sang "Naive Melody" with them. I listend to them a lot for the next 4-5 years.
I love the Reflektor symbol they floated out this summer, dig the single, and eagerly
await wait for the whole album in late Oct!

- swiss

Date: September 10, 2013 11:57

They are going to be musical guest on first SNL of the year, 9/28. Tina Fey host.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2013 15:10

Sarah Neufeld is cute... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2013 15:31

Jackglfc
Three brillant albums so far.

New single leaked yesterday and sounds amazing. Rumours that Bowie is guesting on the album

he's on the single. Strange song but its growing on me. Great video too.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 17:03

Yup confirmed he is on the single:
[www.rollingstone.com]

OT: Arcade Fire on SNL
Date: September 29, 2013 14:26

Arcade Fire were great on Saturday Night Live last night. Different sound than previous appearances. Think the new cd is going to be a good one. Very interesting band.
[www.nbc.com]

[www.nbc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 14:30 by crholmstrom.

Re: OT: Arcade Fire on SNL
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 29, 2013 15:49

The one album I´m totally psyked about this fall.
Actually just want it to come OUT already.
Like when I was 13 and waited for the local recordstore to get me my ordered copy of Kiss Alive II. #thatfeeling

Date: September 29, 2013 15:55

Me @ that age was Elton John "Caribou". Painted Grandma's fence to earn the money. When I was 16, I took my preteen cousin to see Kiss on the "Love Gun" tour. Was a big deal for him. Sadly, he's no longer with us. Opening band was Cheap Trick when "In Color" was out. They were awesome. I haven't seen Arcade Fire yet. Probably will make the effort if they make it to Seattle. I can sure why David Bowie likes them.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 16:09

Did you stay tuned afterwards? There was a half hour Arcade Fire special. In fact it was just called "Arcade Fire Special". I watched bits and pieces, I'm not much of a fan but it was interesting. It was like a long music video with little comedy bits thrown in, they had a lot of comedy guests like Bill Hader who used to be on SNL, Zack Galifinakis (spelling may be off there), Michael Cera, Rainn Wilson, etc.

Date: September 29, 2013 16:11

They preempted it in Seattle. There's a locally produced comedy show "The 206" that shows post SNL. They showed that instead. Unfortunate.

Date: September 29, 2013 16:25

crholmstrom
They preempted it in Seattle. There's a locally produced comedy show "The 206" that shows post SNL. They showed that instead. Unfortunate.

We have a local show that normally airs after SNL, some show that shows the Dallas restaurants and nightlife, but they preempted it in favor of the Arcade Fire thing. I'm sure there will be a torrent up soon, if not already.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 29, 2013 16:26

I do not get Arcade Fire. I don't understand the appeal.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2013 17:28

That reflector song - all those people on stage to make that noise? What a long drawn out conveyor belt of tuneless melodicless noise.

Pathetic. Knob turners. I heard no talent. The guitar player had zero guitar sound, it was a cue for some sampler.

Arcade Ice is more like it.

Date: September 29, 2013 18:27

GasLightStreet
That reflector song - all those people on stage to make that noise? What a long drawn out conveyor belt of tuneless melodicless noise.

Pathetic. Knob turners. I heard no talent. The guitar player had zero guitar sound, it was a cue for some sampler.

Arcade Ice is more like it.

That's always been my beef with them. I can't tell if anybody is very talented or not, because they all drown each other out in my ears. It's like they heard the phrase "wall of sound", but instead of putting layer on layer, they just jumbled it all together. I must admit that's the exact same thing I said about Exile the first time I heard it. Just a big old jumble of noise. It took multiple listens for the sound to unravel itself in my ears and pick up the different threads. Maybe if I listened to Arcade Fire more I could make some sense of them. I wasn't particularly impressed by their appearance with Mick though, I thought the guitar in particular sounded terrible. The Last Time is not a difficult song to play on guitar, but they managed to not play it very well. And the whole thing sounded unfocused and sloppy, just a drone of noise with bits of the riff coming through. Foo Fighters took the night for Mick's backing band I thought, earning extra points for the studio arrangement of IORR. I enjoyed the stuff Arcade Fire played on the special more than what they played on SNL. Although one of them kind of sounded like a Chromeo ripoff. But they had a more focused sound, albeit focused on 80's music, as opposed to a jumble of instruments and singers.

I wouldn't call them "no talent" or "pathetic", but I do fail to see the hype. I can't bring myself to hate them, but I can't bring myself to really like them either. They've done a few things I thought were OK, and they're better than a lot of the crap out there. They seem to focus on visual style more than sound though, or maybe that's what they want to sound like and I'm just not hearing what they're going for. The special was an interesting watch. I was able to spend a half hour watching a band I'm not that crazy about, and had already seen perform twice 2-3 times (and appeared in comedy function also), so they did something right with it. But I think it was more the visual style and sketches that kept me interested than the music itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 18:29 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 29, 2013 19:57

spsimmons

I agree. The only reason people talk about them on this board is because the backed up Mick on SNL.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:34

That is just a silly remark Hot Rocks. Lots of folks like music that is different from The Stones and have a wide variety of styles of music they like. I for one, have liked Arcade Fire since their first album. Why? Well I love Bowie, and these Canadians like to take his approach via the Berlin Trilogy and make some new music. They also remind me a bit of Radiohead. I am not the hugest fan of The Wall of Sound approach, and it can get a bit overblown on Arcade's stuff, but this new material sounds very interesting, and I like better than the Neon Bible. Very Low like, and I could plainly hear guitar. There is a techno funk riff that is quite cool on both songs. The lean guitar on the right is pretty low in the second song, and as with many TV appearances there seems to be a technical glitz. This stuff reminds me a lot of when Bowie was on doing TVC15 and The Man Who Sold the World. Interesting. Not everyone's cuppa teach, but it isn't just knob turning. There is clearly some thought going on with this music.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:39

More Hot Rocks
spsimmons

I agree. The only reason people talk about them on this board is because the backed up Mick on SNL.

Considering they sold 1.7 million albums in the U.S. alone, before they ever backed up Mick, I don't think it's too far-fetched of an idea to think that some of them are around here.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:48

NoCode0680
More Hot Rocks
spsimmons

Considering they sold 1.7 million albums in the U.S. alone, before they ever backed up Mick, I don't think it's too far-fetched of an idea to think that some of them are around here.

Nobody talked about Arcade Fire until Mick played with them. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be mentioned here. I'm not denying that people like them I'm just saying Mick has brought them as a topic on this board only because his involvement with them. 1.7 Million copies doesn't make you good. It just means people like you. Hell the B 52s and Smashing Pumpkins sell records and look how bad they are.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:52

Well you are just plan wrong.I have been posting on this board for years...and have liked Arcade Fire well before they played with Mick. . . go figure?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 22:11 by whitem8.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:01

More Hot Rocks
NoCode0680
More Hot Rocks
spsimmons

Nobody talked about Arcade Fire until Mick played with them. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be mentioned here. I'm not denying that people like them I'm just saying Mick has brought them as a topic on this board only because his involvement with them. 1.7 Million copies doesn't make you good. It just means people like you. Hell the B 52s and Smashing Pumpkins sell records and look how bad they are.

I didn't say 1.7 million copies makes them good. If you read above you'll see I don't even care for them that much. I'm just saying they're a very popular band and it's not too much of a stretch to think that the bubble of Stones fans and Arcade Fire fans might overlap just based on the amount of people who listen to both. Whether you realize it or not you're being pretty douchey to those people around here who do like them, by dismissing them as only talking about them because of a Stones connection. As if they're too dumb to make up their own mind about music and need Mick to introduce them to new bands. There are very active Arcade Fire threads on other bands websites I visit, and Arcade Fire has had no collaboration with them. I think you'd probably find there would be an Arcade Fire thread regardless of Mick, because for whatever reason they're very popular. Besides I thought they sucked backing Mick, so I'm not sure it earned them many fans around here just on the strength of that one performance.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:38

I just agreed with spsimmons's comment. Look above. You have a short memory. You then became douchey with me. Have a nice day.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 29, 2013 21:43

What that terrible smell? Arcade fire is playing. Their 15 of fame will soon be gone.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:44

RockinJive
What that terrible smell? Arcade fire is playing. Their 15 of fame will soon be gone.

Smart man or women.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:52

More Hot Rocks
I just agreed with spsimmons's comment. Look above. You have a short memory. You then became douchey with me. Have a nice day.

You might want to read your own posts More Hot Rocks. spsimmons said he/she didn't understand the appeal (I agree with that as well). You're the one that said the only reason people around here talk about them is because of Mick appearing with them with SNL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 21:52 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 29, 2013 22:14

I had never heard of them before I saw them at Bonnaroo in 2011. My son and his wife had recommended the album "Funeral," which is ranked pretty high in the Rolling Stone Magazine "Best 500 Albums" magazine.

They were GREAT live, and I've really gotten into that particular album.

What I heard last night was a little more dance/electronic than that earlier material, so I guess I saw them at a good time.

Sort of like Queen. I loved Queen in those first several albums, especially "Sheer Heart Attack," "Night at the Opera," etc. However, by the time their material had veered over to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Another One Bites the Dust," I pretty much gave up on them. Glad I saw Queen in 1979 when they were still doing a lot of earlier material.

For that matter, U2 is in that category, too. Loved the earlier stuff, and saw them in 82 or 83 when their live shows were from the first four albums.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home