Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 44
OT: For NFL or Redskins fans
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 6, 2013 15:46

Obama thinks the Redskins name is offensive and should be changed...

[www.cbsnews.com]

Now I've seen it all. My grandmother was Irish, I'm offended, Notre Dame should change their name too. What about those Cowboys down there in Texas? I'm sure there are some descendants of the Vikings on here...what a travesty. My great great great great granpappy was a Buccaneer, he'd surely make them scalawags down there in Tampa walk the plank...arrrr.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 16:12 by shadooby.

Re: OT: For NFL or Redskins fans
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:16

shadooby

[www.cbsnews.com]

Now I've seen it all. My grandmother was Irish, I'm offended, Notre Dame should change their name too. What about those Cowboys down there in Texas? I'm sure there are some descendants of the Vikings on here...what a travesty. My great great great great granpappy was a Buccaneer, he'd surely make them folks down there in Tampa walk the plank...arrrr.
The name should've been changed years ago. Redskins is a derogatory term to the indigenous peoples. The examples you gave don't have a negative conoctation. What if a team was called the New York "N" word? Its the same thing as redskins. In this supposedly enlightened age there is no room for that. Shocking that it has lasted as long as it has & is a black eye to the NFL as long it is allowed to continue. Just because something is a "tradition" doesn't mean it's good. Time for society to grow up & become 1 with the 21st century.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:18

None of those other teams are a slur related to skin color. What if it were the blackskins? I have no problems with Braves, Indians, Seminoles, and so forth, but Redskins is outrageously awful and needs to be gone.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:21

From Wikipedia: "The buccaneers were pirates who attacked Spanish shipping in the Caribbean Sea during the 17th century." So I guess they should've been proud to be savage criminals. I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:29

Yankee, Yank
n
1. (Social Science / Peoples) Often disparaging a native or inhabitant of the US; American

Date: October 6, 2013 16:32

shadooby
From Wikipedia: "The buccaneers were pirates who attacked Spanish shipping in the Caribbean Sea during the 17th century." So I guess they should've been proud to be savage criminals. I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.
Were buccaneers a specific race or ethnic group? Seems to me that it was more of a chosen profession, so to speak. There's a difference. The native Americans have been through more than enough. & it's not all in the distant past. I've seen first hand some examples in "rural" Alaska. It was heartbreaking.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:40

crholmstrom
shadooby
Were buccaneers a specific race or ethnic group? Seems to me that it was more of a chosen profession, so to speak. There's a difference. The native Americans have been through more than enough. & it's not all in the distant past. I've seen first hand some examples in "rural" Alaska. It was heartbreaking.

Yankee, Yank
n
1. (Social Science / Peoples) Often disparaging a native or inhabitant of the US; American

You know you don't have a leg to stand on here.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:41

shadooby
Yankee, Yank
n

Please look up the concept of "false equivalency" The last time someone was offended by being called this was the fifth of never.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:42

Send It To me
shadooby
Yankee, Yank
n

Please look up the concept of "false equivalency" The last time someone was offended by being called this was the fifth of never.
thumbs up

Date: October 6, 2013 16:43

Send It To me
shadooby
Yankee, Yank
n

And the Indians (oops I meant to say I-word) as a whole are not offended by the term Redskin just the same, just political correctness run amuck and every last one of you knows it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 16:46 by shadooby.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:47

I think they should change the name to The Washington Bed Pans, thus removing
the offensive "Redskins" and start honoring our great congress.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()

That's a tough call. I can see why but I don't see the league doing it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()

I live in Redskins country and the name has been controversial here for a long time. Every year it's the same debate, but now that Obama has weighed in on it, perhaps they will feel compelled to change it.

If you look up the definition, the word redskin is insulting and derogatory in it's intent.

I think they will change the name soon now,and when they do lots of people will jump up and down and complain. But whatever the new name is, in a few years everyone will be used to it. Personally, I think they should change the name...it's just a football team, but traditions do die hard.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:50

shadooby
Send It To me
shadooby
Yankee, Yank
n

And the Indians (oops I meant to say I-word) as a whole are not offended by the term Redskin just the same, just political correctness run amuck and every last one of you knows it.
Really? Did you get that from all your native American friends? I'm no fan of politically correct running amok but to me this goes way past that into the realm of racism. I'll shut up now. Wow.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:52

Promise?

Date: October 6, 2013 16:54

MKjan

or the Depends to honor Pelosi and Reid?

Date: October 6, 2013 16:56

shadooby
Promise?
Intelligent discourse requires intelligence on both sides. Good luck to you.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:56

shadooby
MKjan

or the Depends to honor Pelosi and Reid?

Sure, I'll go along with that.

Date: October 6, 2013 16:59

crholmstrom
shadooby
Promise?
Intelligent discourse requires intelligence on both sides. Good luck to you.

Thought you said you'd shut up...to quote a rocket scientist "wow". You'll get the last word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 17:00 by shadooby.

Date: October 6, 2013 17:01

Dump the name and go with The Redstones. Put Keith's face (with black eye patch) on the helmet. Or maybe just a huge tongue?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 6, 2013 17:02

shadooby
Send It To me
shadooby
Yankee, Yank
n

I live in the western part of New York state. We have a large Native American population here. If i said "hey redskin, good morning" I guarantee I'd have my teeth knocked out.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 6, 2013 18:32

shadooby

[www.cbsnews.com]

Now I've seen it all. My grandmother was Irish, I'm offended, Notre Dame should change their name too. What about those Cowboys down there in Texas? I'm sure there are some descendants of the Vikings on here...what a travesty. My great great great great granpappy was a Buccaneer, he'd surely make them scalawags down there in Tampa walk the plank...arrrr.

I could not give one shit Obama thinks about this, as he trys to turn the converstaion away from HIS real problems, he has turned out to be worse than Bush, and Bush was the worst up to that time to sit in that office.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 6, 2013 18:42

Max'sKansasCity
shadooby

[www.cbsnews.com]

I could not give one shit Obama thinks about this, as he trys to turn the converstaion away from HIS real problems, he has turned out to be worse than Bush, and Bush was the worst up to that time to sit in that office.

I think Obama has been weak and not that effective but "worse than Bush" no way! compare what they both had inherited when they took office. its no contest!

Date: October 6, 2013 18:52

IF / When / Once they succumb to the pressure from people who feel this is..... the most pressing problem in the world, who feel this is more important the insane national debt the U.S has, far more important than how many people live in pverty in this country, who feel this is far more important than holding people forever in the jail in Cuba, far above the health care mess this country is in, far above the fact we still have troops on the ground dying daily for no given reason, far above the fact the U.S. locks up more people in prison than any other country, far above other things that really matter...

.... once they succumb to the pressure from these people who feel this name change is the most important problem to be solved in the world they will start going after EVERY other name and policy... and it will NEVER stop!!

Do they have a point? Maybe.... and to that point what is next? give the native Americans back all of the land that was stolen, pay them reperations for blankets given them infeted with disease, removing Andrew Jackson from the $20.00 bill.... tell the Cleveland they have to change their name too...... it will be never ending,

Someone should tell these people there are REAL PROBLEMS in this country which could use their time and efforts besides being overly worried about a game team name.

Date: October 6, 2013 18:56

Ket
Max'sKansasCity
shadooby

[www.cbsnews.com]

I think Obama has been weak and not that effective but "worse than Bush" no way! compare what they both had inherited when they took office. its no contest!

I dont play the politics BS game, I call it like I see it and they both are horrible leaders who have done NOTHING to help this country in the ways that are needed. We are so screwed and it is stunning to read that the thing some people are most concerened about is this name change, and I am not talking about people here on IORR, I am talking about the lobby behind this name change.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 19:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: October 6, 2013 19:03

Change the team name already. Although it's not the "thing some people are most concereed about" by any stretch of the imagination, it should change.

I don't want to play the politics BS game, I call it like it is.

The ACA is a great progressive upgrade for America.
President Obama has passed the best legislation in decades, and it will help the country.

Date: October 6, 2013 19:07

Fuman2
Change the team name already. Although it's not the "thing some people are most concereed about" by any stretch of the imagination, it should change.

I don't want to play the politics BS game, I call it like it is.

The ACA is a great progressive upgrade for America.
President Obama has passed the best legislation in decades, and it will help the country.

And after this name change what is next? Take Andrew Jackson off the $20.00? Tell Cleveland to change their name too? Give the Native Americans in Florida back all the land which was taken from them and pay them interest on themurders and theft? And then... where does it end?

Date: October 6, 2013 19:17

I might not even comment in this thread if I was not so furious at my government leaders right now!!!! MY GOVERNMENT IS SHUT DOWN!!!! THEY ARE FAILURES!!!!! THEY SHOULD ALL BE FIRED!!!! AND WHAT DO THEY DO???? They get some some goverment press nerd (some spin doctor) to come up with this deflection idea for the next press cycle.... "Lets change the conversation to this name change thing". It is so obvious, it is so sickening!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 19:18 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 6, 2013 19:21

shadooby

[www.cbsnews.com]

regardless of how you feel about the issue, it has been around for years and years.

To say "Obama thinks . . . " and "Now I've seen it all . . . " makes you either colossally ignorant or simply a typical brain-dead right-winger, blaming everything you don't like on Obama. Like he came up with this, instead of the truth, whichis that he weas asked how he felt about something that has been an issue for a long time.

The rest of the stuff you wrote is bullshit also, but the issue is obviously way over your head if you think that the examples you mention are even remotely in the same conversation.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 6, 2013 19:28

they could change it to Washington Crybabies to fit the tone right now (I'll leave it up to the individual to choose which side they think I mean) but hey..while it's one man's opinion (granted he is THE man in the US) this has been going on awhile. I remember a similar uproar about the Cleveland Indians baseball team not so much for the name but for the picture of the big bucktoothed brave that serves as the club emblem...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home