Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are the Stones leaders or followers?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 7, 2014 06:38

I was thinking about when was the last time the Stones actually set a new trend either in the industry or with the audience. Are they leaders or followers?

Was it selling out stadiums or the tongue logo but most certainly longevity. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Here are some defining moments in music history that the Stones have been either late to get on board or missed the boat entirely.

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Playing albums in entirety
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

Re: Are the Stones leaders or followers?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 7, 2014 06:48

The stones helped create the game. Later on they followed what other people were doing, many of whom wouldn't be on the scene in the first place if bands like the Stone didn't open the door for them.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 7, 2014 08:41

The trends mentioned in the OP are ideas of younger generations, so there's really no reason for the Stones to be at the forefront of those. What they did in their heyday is of lasting importance: creating the template for a rock and roll band with a front man who dances and works the crowd, and some 50 years later that template is handed down in bands like the Hives, who emerged in the early 2000s. You can see in the clip below that the lead singer cops some of the moves and crowd interaction techniques pioneered by Jagger (though he also does the Daltrey-patented microphone twirl as well). The Stones became relevant influences once again in the 90s with "Britpop" and in the neo-garage of the early 2000s. Like Billy Shears in the Sgt. Pepper song by the Beatles, they've "been going in and out of style" for years.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 7, 2014 08:57

"It's a real feeling of déjà vu. All you have to do is delete the words 'Sex Pistols' and write in 'Rolling Stones' and you've got the same old press as you had fifteen years ago – exactly.
It is funny, because they've manipulated the press in England, they've made them play the same old games they played with us.
Piss on the floor and watch them all come running; would you let your daughter marry one? It's hilarious.
They puked at the London airport; we pissed in the filling station."

Keith Richards actually sounded affectionately nostalgic: the English punk articles.
-November 3rd, 1977-

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 7, 2014 09:33

Leaders!

Well, we all need someone we can lean on

2 1 2 0

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 7, 2014 09:38

at least since the 80s they "follow the money" and go where the markets are…

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 7, 2014 09:50

ryanpow
The stones helped create the game. Later on they followed what other people were doing, many of whom wouldn't be on the scene in the first place if bands like the Stone didn't open the door for them.

Perfectly expressed.

Plus, I'm not sorry they weren't at the forefront of the disco movement, etc. Or even commercials--though let us not forget Rice Crispies.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 7, 2014 12:34

ryanpow

They sure followed what other people were doing, I think. Their music has become harder, but how am I to know, as I don`t listen to the AC/DCs or the Metallicas.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 7, 2014 12:45

They are followers who got away with it. smiling smiley

Date: February 7, 2014 12:52

The Sicilian
I was thinking about when was the last time the Stones actually set a new trend either in the industry or with the audience. Are they leaders or followers?

Was it selling out stadiums or the tongue logo but most certainly longevity. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Here are some defining moments in music history that the Stones have been either late to get on board or missed the boat entirely.

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

The Stones played festivals in 1969, there is disco in Heartbreaker already, the punk was already there - before the movement and they were pretty early out with the B-stage?

They were the first band with a tour sponsor...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 7, 2014 13:51

On Which tour did they play an entire album, and what album? I thought this was a Springsteen-thing...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 7, 2014 14:09

The 3 size venues concept : stadium-arena-club in the same city. I don't know if any other bands has done it but it was a great production strategy.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2014 14:46

The Sicilian

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

The disco and punk 'movements' arent defining 'moments' as such but something that evolved. I dont quite grasp why its deemed important for any act who had been around for a decade or so already and who had already made a huge impact musically and culturally to 'get on board' - or to put it more accurately 'jump on the bandwagon'. I dont recall Bob Dylan or John Lennon making a punk or a disco record, for example. Their music or reputation didnt suffer as a result. If anything, it probably would have done if they had. A bit like when Pat Boone made aN album of heavy metal songs.

the other examples youve cited are gimmicks and/or of no cultural or musical importance, even if some of them may be enjoyable in their own way.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 7, 2014 15:33

Gazza
The Sicilian

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

The disco and punk 'movements' arent defining 'moments' as such but something that evolved.

Everything evolves to some extent, but disco and punk are defining moments. If you can identify when something started and essentially by whom, then it becomes molded in history.

Who started the folk-rock movement? Dylan or The Byrds or even The Animals?

Again, music evolves, but someone gets credit for starting the trend.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:13

The Stones are to rock and roll, as Mariano Rivera is to the cut fastball. They didn't invent it, they perfected it.

Date: February 7, 2014 17:54

L E A D E R S
Raising the bar on the price of concert tickets.
It would be too easy to point at the prices for the recent and current tour.
I will take you through the "wayback machine" to 1976.
Here's evidence.
February 1975 cost of ticket to see LED ZEPPELIN $6.50
June 1975 cost of ticket to see ROLLING STONES $12.50
Thinking outside the box regarding the price of concert tickets....The Stones have ALWAYS been leaders!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2014 20:40

The Sicilian
Gazza
The Sicilian

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

The disco and punk 'movements' arent defining 'moments' as such but something that evolved.

Everything evolves to some extent, but disco and punk are defining moments. If you can identify when something started and essentially by whom, then it becomes molded in history.

yeah, I see what you mean but as youve suggested its all subjective as to the starting point. Musical trends to be in the form of evolution as opposed to a 'big bang'.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 7, 2014 22:15

they're museum curators

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 7, 2014 23:04

The Sicilian
Gazza
The Sicilian

Playing at festivals
The disco movement
The punk movement
The 'B' stage
Acoustic sets
Storytelling
Commercials

Can you think of any?

The Rolling Stones were certainly responsible for familiarizing the general public (i.e. the white record buying demographc) with black Anerican blues as a component of rock and roll. On their first album, they took their mame from a Muddy Waters song, and covered Jimmy Reed, Willie Dixon, Slim Harpo. It's hard to tell how rock might have been different if the Stones had 't opened that door. Would the Yardbirds and Mayall/Bluesbreakers have chosen the same path? Would Clapton have had a receptive audience? Would anyone have been willing to listen to led Zeppelin I? Would anyone know who Robert Johnson was? Maybe, but we'll never know. I consider the introduction of that generation of US blues musicians to the general public, and the acceptance of their music by that public, to be among the most important developments in the history of popular music. It is certainly arguable that without the Rolling Stones, it might never have happened.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 8, 2014 01:37

The Sicilian

Fairport Convention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home