Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344
Current Page: 44 of 44
Re: OT NFL 2013-14
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 5, 2014 05:04

BluzDude
Anyone else see the article from USA Today that the RHCP didn't even bother to plug in their instruments for their SB 1/2 time Performance?

I didnt, but I just read this...
================ [redhotchilipeppers.com]

A Message From Flea

Dear everybody,

When we were asked by the NFL and Bruno to play our song Give It Away at the Super Bowl, it was made clear to us that the vocals would be live, but the bass, drums, and guitar would be pre-recorded. I understand the NFL's stance on this, given they only have a few minutes to set up the stage, there a zillion things that could go wrong and ruin the sound for the folks watching in the stadium and the t.v. viewers. There was not any room for argument on this, the NFL does not want to risk their show being botched by bad sound, period.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers stance on any sort of miming has been that we will absolutely not do it. The last time we did it (or tried to) was in the late 80's, we were thrown off of 'The Top Of the Pops' television program in the U.K. during rehearsals because we refused to mime properly, I played bass with my shoe, John played guitar atop Anthony's shoulders, and we basically had a wrestling match onstage, making a mockery of the idea that it was a real live performance.

We mimed on one or two weird MTV shows before that and it always was a drag. We take our music playing seriously, it is a sacred thing for us, and anyone who has ever seen us in concert (like the night before the Super Bowl at the Barclays Center), knows that we play from our heart, we improvise spontaneously, take musical risks, and sweat blood at every show. We have been on the road for 31 years doing it.

So, when this Super Bowl gig concept came up, there was a lot of confusion amongst us as whether or not we should do it, but we eventually decided, it was a surreal-like, once in a life time crazy thing to do and we would just have fun and do it. We had given this a lot of thought before agreeing to do it, and besides many a long conversation amongst ourselves, I spoke with many musician friends for whom I have the utmost respect, and they all said they would do it if asked, that it was a wild trippy thing to do, what the hell. Plus, we the RHCP all love football too and that played a big part in our decision. We decided that, with Anthony singing live, that we could still bring the spirit and freedom of what we do into the performance, and of course we played every note in the recording specially for the gig. I met and spoke with Bruno, who was a beautiful dude, a real talented musician, and we worked out something that seemed like it would be fun.

We recorded a track for the day, just banged one out from our hearts that was very like in spirit to the versions we have been playing live the last few years with our beloved Josh on guitar.

For the actual performance, Josh, Chad, and I were playing along with the pre recorded track so there was no need to plug in our guitars, so we did not. Could we have plugged them in and avoided bumming people out who have expressed disappointment that the instrumental track was pre recorded? Of course easily we could have and this would be a non-issue. We thought it better to not pretend. It seemed like the realest thing to do in the circumstance. It was like making a music video in front of a gazillion people, except with live vocals, and only one chance to rock it. Our only thought was to bring the spirit of who we are to the people.

I am grateful to the NFL for having us. And I am grateful to Bruno, who is a super talented young man for inviting us to be a part of his gig. I would do it all the same way again.

We, as a band, aspire to grow as musicians and songwriters, and to continue to play our guts out live onstage for anyone who wants to get their brains blown out.

Sincerely,

Flea

================================

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 5, 2014 05:12

Flea is hella cool!

Date: February 5, 2014 05:48

crholmstrom
Flea is hella cool!
I am not really a Peppers fan and I didnt really like that half time show (it was a clusterfk) but regardless.... I rate Flea up near the top of the heap as far as music people are concerned. Going way way way back, based on all of the things I have seen and heard from and about Flea, he is the real deal.... on many levels. FLEA IS HELLAKEWL!! FOR MANY REASONS.

Date: February 5, 2014 06:04

...and I just saw them say on the news (on my local news) that Bruno's new release has sky rocketed on the heels of his half time show. They said his sales jumped 165%, moving 40,000 units, just since the show... so appararently a lot of people liked it. I'm still not a fan but Good for him. smileys with beer

Date: February 5, 2014 12:53

Flea is an absolutely stunning bass player. He's a little too busy for Charlie but I think he jammed with them when Bill quit. Listen to Atoms for Peace. & he can play everything from punk rock to serious jazz. He is not a bad trumpet player either. I've met him a few times. We have a mutual friend. He's a very nice guy, too. Very genuine, no rock star pretensions at all. Maybe others have had different experiences but mine have been positive. I liked Bruno Mars. Not that I"m going to run out & buy a cd but might for lady friend if she wants it. She is in control of the car music when in it. It's a good thing.smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 17:30

crholmstrom
Flea is an absolutely stunning bass player. He's a little too busy for Charlie but I think he jammed with them when Bill quit. Listen to Atoms for Peace. & he can play everything from punk rock to serious jazz. He is not a bad trumpet player either. I've met him a few times. We have a mutual friend. He's a very nice guy, too. Very genuine, no rock star pretensions at all. Maybe others have had different experiences but mine have been positive. I liked Bruno Mars. Not that I"m going to run out & buy a cd but might for lady friend if she wants it. She is in control of the car music when in it. It's a good thing.smiling smiley

How kewl that you have met Flea and came out thinking he is a great guy, but I am not surprised, from what I have seen over times he seems very kewl. I have never met him in person but he gave me a bass lesson one time.... I bought a inexpensive, low quality video of him talking about how to play bass and he was funny, informative and seemed like a great guy.... Anyway, in all the other instances I have seen or heard about him he seemed cool and genuine. He can always count on me (if I see it) to post up his side of the story, it is my pleasure to help out the good guys.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:47

Was the whole performance playback or was it only The Peppers who didn't play?

Date: February 5, 2014 22:06

From what I understand The Stones and Prince are the only acts to EVER do it live versus prerecorded, even Burno's drum thingy was prerecorded... which to me seems like it would be harder than juts playing it live, although Danny Bonaduce used to drum synch without much problem.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:08

The whole game was play backed as well smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 6, 2014 00:49

Thanks for the info, Max. I don't get why people are being overwhelmed by a playback performance though. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned?

Date: February 6, 2014 01:30

Onto NASCAR, MLB & NCAA tourney!>grinning smiley<

Date: February 6, 2014 02:52

crholmstrom

Do you play the fantasy NASCAR game? If not, you should, it makes you care a lil more through a long long season. I get no piece of the action, I dont form leagues or groups, I am only giving a friend a tip for fun. I do it on Yahoo... but a lot of other places do it too.

If you want to try it on Yahoo, look here for small groups [sports.yahoo.com]

If you sign up for one of those groups I think you can leave it and join another until Daytona qualifying...

If you play I suggest joining a smaller group, other wise ytou are juts a little bitty fish in a pool of 200,000 players.. in small groups you compete against at most 49 other people. I join 3 groups... one with 50... one with 25-30 people and one with 10-15 people.

On Yahoo you pick 8 drivers per week 2 top tier drivers, 4 mid tier and 2 lower tier... then after qualifying you select 1 top, 2 mid and 1 lower to race that week. You can only pick the same drive 9 times during the season....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 6, 2014 06:30

Max'sKansasCity
From what I understand The Stones and Prince are the only acts to EVER do it live versus prerecorded, even Burno's drum thingy was prerecorded... which to me seems like it would be harder than juts playing it live, although Danny Bonaduce used to drum synch without much problem.

DUDE!

Danny played bass...you're thinking of Chris!

Date: February 6, 2014 06:34

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

DUDE!

Danny played bass...you're thinking of Chris!
Just seeing if anyone is paying attention winking smiley YOU WIN!! smileys with beer A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 06:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 6, 2014 13:12

Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom

Do you play the fantasy NASCAR game? If not, you should, it makes you care a lil more through a long long season. I get no piece of the action, I dont form leagues or groups, I am only giving a friend a tip for fun. I do it on Yahoo... but a lot of other places do it too.

If you sign up for one of those groups I think you can leave it and join another until Daytona qualifying...

If you play I suggest joining a smaller group, other wise ytou are juts a little bitty fish in a pool of 200,000 players.. in small groups you compete against at most 49 other people. I join 3 groups... one with 50... one with 25-30 people and one with 10-15 people.

On Yahoo you pick 8 drivers per week 2 top tier drivers, 4 mid tier and 2 lower tier... then after qualifying you select 1 top, 2 mid and 1 lower to race that week. You can only pick the same drive 9 times during the season....

Thank Max's. I'll check it out. Still contemplating the changes to the chase. Think I like it but I'm leaving to my NASCAR expert to decide. smiling smiley

Date: February 6, 2014 19:43

crholmstrom
Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom

Thank Max's. I'll check it out. Still contemplating the changes to the chase. Think I like it but I'm leaving to my NASCAR expert to decide. smiling smiley

I wasnt sure, and it looks like it could be a clusterfk, BUT I think it puts guys WITH WINS in the chase, and it really should be about WINNING, so good for that, but we will still have to see.

If the new system motivates guys "do things", race harder, cheater better, bump better, push it ALL to limit to get the WINS, then it will work, and if that works it will make it better, versus just managing races to be in the top 10.

btw- as of now, managing to have your drivers in the Top 10 in how you do well in the fantasy game, they dont have to WIN, Top 10 is fine... so maybe next year they will change the way that works too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 19:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:27

From the Credo/Mobilize website. NFL=GREED
nonprofit, HA.

There's no reason sports fans or any other Americans should pay the National Football League's taxes. Professional sports leagues with billions in annual revenues don't need tax exemptions -- revoke the NFL's "nonprofit" status and demand the league pay its fair share.
Why is this important?

Did you know that the National Football League is a nonprofit, and hasn't paid a dime in taxes since 1966? As a lifelong football fan, I was shocked to discover that I haven't just paid to watch games and bought NFL merchandise since I was 6 years old -- I've been paying higher taxes as an adult to make-up for the NFL's share.

Some of my best memories are football related. I remember standing in line in 1987 to get John Elway's autograph, and the famous playoff drive. I love the parity of the NFL, and I believe the league provides an important service by ensuring that the league remains strong and that competitive games are well-organized. But that service doesn't justify the NFL being granted nonprofit status -- like soup kitchens and charities have -- that allows it to avoid paying taxes, especially as top executives are paid up to $29 million per year.

I was shocked to learn that the last time the NFL paid taxes was 1966, when lobbyists convinced Congress to pass an obscure provision that expanded the definition of 501(c)6 not-for-profit organizations in the Internal Revenue Code to include "professional football leagues." The 1966 law gave the NFL a way to skirt taxes, while also granting it an uncommon antitrust exemption allowing it to create a monopoly to negotiate TV rights at the same time!

Since then, the NFL has shelled out big money to keep its sweetheart deal. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, the NFL has spent $2 million in campaign contributions since 1992 and spent $12.7 million on lobbying efforts since 1998, knowing that its fair share of taxes would be many millions more.

As Republicans in Congress vote to cut food stamps and obstruct the extension of unemployment benefits, it's time to highlight the hypocrisy of letting a multi-billion operation like the NFL get away with paying no taxes while they stick us with the bill. Though the NFL has successfully held back efforts to make it pay its fair share for nearly 50 years, Congress has the opportunity to change that by updating the Internal Revenue Code. Legislation to do just that was introduced last fall, but we need Congress to get behind it.

With 111.5 million viewers, Sunday's Super Bowl was the most watched television event in U.S. history. Now is the perfect time to put pressure on Congress to revoke the NFL's nonprofit status.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 7, 2014 00:55

Max'sKansasCity

So your saying the Who and Springsteen faked it?

Date: February 7, 2014 00:56

No Expectations
Max'sKansasCity

Dont they always fake it?

Date: February 7, 2014 00:58

Max'sKansasCity
No Expectations
Max'sKansasCity

Dont they always fake it?

Good one...:-)))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 01:00 by No Expectations.

Date: February 7, 2014 01:00

grinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2014 01:08

Spring Training is right around the corner...Go Giants!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 7, 2014 02:16

Manning, Rodgers, and Brady are all golfing at Pebble Beach pro-am this week. I guess that signals the end of football for now.

Date: February 7, 2014 06:30

No Expectations

I will give you the Giants. I'm not sold on the Mariners yet at all. Too many crushing disappointments. They gotta show me. We had more people (700,000) in downtown Seattle than the entire population of the city (660,000) for the Seahawks parade. I wasn't able to attend because of work but the Beast hit my goddaughter in the head with a pack of Skittles. She caught them on the rebound & ate them. She is a bright girl.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 7, 2014 17:57

crholmstrom
No Expectations

I will give you the Giants. I'm not sold on the Mariners yet at all. Too many crushing disappointments. They gotta show me. We had more people (700,000) in downtown Seattle than the entire population of the city (660,000) for the Seahawks parade. I wasn't able to attend because of work but the Beast hit my goddaughter in the head with a pack of Skittles. She caught them on the rebound & ate them. She is a bright girl.>grinning smiley<

Damn... After following your passion here all season, I was really hoping that you'd be able to catch the parade in person. Were you able to at least follow it on TV or Radio? Glad you at least had some "family" there representing you. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to watch the Red Sox parade on TV here in Tennessee after last year's World Series.

Regarding the start of baseball spring training, since I get to say this so infrequently: GO RED SOX!! DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!! Can you say "REPEAT"??? I can only hope. They did it in 1915&16, I see no reason to wait an entire century to do it again so why not get it done in 2013&14? Then we can talk three-peat!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 8, 2014 12:46

mr_dja
crholmstrom
No Expectations

Damn... After following your passion here all season, I was really hoping that you'd be able to catch the parade in person. Were you able to at least follow it on TV or Radio? Glad you at least had some "family" there representing you. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to watch the Red Sox parade on TV here in Tennessee after last year's World Series.

Regarding the start of baseball spring training, since I get to say this so infrequently: GO RED SOX!! DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!! Can you say "REPEAT"??? I can only hope. They did it in 1915&16, I see no reason to wait an entire century to do it again so why not get it done in 2013&14? Then we can talk three-peat!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Appreciate the sentiment. I helped raise my goddaughter, so she is like daughter to me. My lady couldn't get away either & it wouldn't have felt right or been fun to go without her. I saw highlights on TV. It was so cold that day, I'm surprised that some folks didn't get hypothermia. We were going to play hooky & go but the pieces just didn't fall into place. Is ok.smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344
Current Page: 44 of 44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home