Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 44
Re: OT NFL 2013-14
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:31

crholmstrom
Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom
..... Sorry about the Royals. They gave it a good run this year. I believe they're playing here tonight...

Hey now, The Royals are still in it... they still have a chance....
and saying that on Spetemeber 24th has not been done for a long time.
No disrespect intended. I'm happy they did well this year. It appears they are doing a good job building for the future.
smileys with beer Its all good.

Looks like my Royals didnt win last night... but still, to be playing meaningful games at the end os September is awesome. Ending up with a better year while having a payroll 1/3 that of some teams is a winning year.

Playing well with the hand one is dealt is winning.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:40

Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom
Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom
..... Sorry about the Royals. They gave it a good run this year. I believe they're playing here tonight...

Hey now, The Royals are still in it... they still have a chance....
and saying that on Spetemeber 24th has not been done for a long time.
No disrespect intended. I'm happy they did well this year. It appears they are doing a good job building for the future.
smileys with beer Its all good.

Looks like my Royals didnt win last night... but still, to be playing meaningful games at the end os September is awesome. Ending up with a better year while having a payroll 1/3 that of some teams is a winning year.

Playing well with the hand one is dealt is winning.
My Mariners could learn some lessons. Another season of futility. Sigh. Luckily, I have the Seahawks to fall back on!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:07

keefriffhard4life
wildhorse76
Thanks for the replies guy's - When would NFL have started roughly ?. My Football[soccer] team Hibernian from Edinburgh were founded in 1875.Are the American 'football' teams as old? - Just googled and found that the 'Green Bay Packers were formed in 1919 and joined the NFL in 1921 - but the Arizona Cardinals are beleived to be the oldest being formed in 1898 ?

late 1800's is roughly when football started but the NFL did not come around for decades after football started

You could probably go back further, but the further you go back the less it resembles the modern game. Late 1800's is probably about when it started to take its own shape. And as keef said, the NFL came later. College Football was THE football league in the country for a long time. The idea of playing the game professionally was seen as kind of tacky by standards of the day. It was a game for college kids, not grownups. And since most college kids in those days were wealthy and attending college to be groomed for a career and not just to party (not to mention professional teams in the US and Canada paid peanuts), they had no interest in going pro. The league that would become the NFL was formed around 1920 (I'm assuming this since either '94 or '95 was the 75th Anniversary season), though some of the teams had been around longer than that, that's just the unification of the league.

As keef said, the Arizona Cardinals (originally the Chicago Cardinals then St. Louis Cardinals) formed in 1898. The Packers are considered the oldest team in continuous operation without changing cities, having been in the same city with the same name since 1919. There are older teams but they've changed cities and names over the years.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 25, 2013 20:09

Max'sKansasCity
I wont start a new thread, nonsports fans prolly dont care.. but

Am I the only one watching the Americs'a cup sailing races?
It has become unreal.... one race to go, It is now winner take all.

Go read about the come back that has happened... IT IS AMAZING!!!
[www.americascup.com]

DONT MISS THE FINAL RACE TOMORROW AFTERNOON, WINNER TAKE ALL!!!
Race starts at 1:15 PST

btw- At first I didnt like the new boats in this race,
BUT DANG!!!! LOOK AT THESE BOATS FLY!! up on foils!!

Max: I'm watching... Or should I say looking for a site on the web or an app for my phone that will let me monitor the race from work here in the Eastern Time Zone. I've been a fan of this sailing series since I was a kid and Dennis Connor was tearing it up off of Rhode Island. I can remember rushing home from school to catch the races on TV. These new boats are AWESOME. How cool would it be if the "foil" technology could trickle down to Hobie Cats and other small boats that "normal" people could use. Then again, when I think back to all of the havoc that I was able to reek in Sunfish, Lasers & other small sail boats as a kid, maybe the foil technology is best kept far away from people like me!

Enjoy the race! Only a few more hours til start time!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 25, 2013 20:15

mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity

[www.americascup.com]

Max: I'm watching... Or should I say looking for a site on the web or an app for my phone that will let me monitor the race from work here in the Eastern Time Zone. I've been a fan of this sailing series since I was a kid and Dennis Connor was tearing it up off of Rhode Island. I can remember rushing home from school to catch the races on TV. These new boats are AWESOME. How cool would it be if the "foil" technology could trickle down to Hobie Cats and other small boats that "normal" people could use. Then again, when I think back to all of the havoc that I was able to reek in Sunfish, Lasers & other small sail boats as a kid, maybe the foil technology is best kept far away from people like me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

AWESOME!! I am excited to see what happens today,
one race to go, winner take all, it doesnt get any better.

3 hours to race time!

Date: September 25, 2013 21:31

Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity

[www.americascup.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

3 hours to race time!

Kinda like Overtime in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals (which I swear is my favorite moment in sports). Right now I'm wasting more time at the office than I have in a long time due to the fact that the AC website tells me that I have to download an add-in to watch on the website - which my corporate IT security won't let me do & the smartphone App tells me that my phone can't handle the app. Hoping that I'll be able to make the YouTube video work on my phone!

Enjoy the race!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: wildhorse76 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:51

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life
wildhorse76
Thanks for the replies guy's - When would NFL have started roughly ?. My Football[soccer] team Hibernian from Edinburgh were founded in 1875.Are the American 'football' teams as old? - Just googled and found that the 'Green Bay Packers were formed in 1919 and joined the NFL in 1921 - but the Arizona Cardinals are beleived to be the oldest being formed in 1898 ?

late 1800's is roughly when football started but the NFL did not come around for decades after football started

You could probably go back further, but the further you go back the less it resembles the modern game. Late 1800's is probably about when it started to take its own shape. And as keef said, the NFL came later. College Football was THE football league in the country for a long time. The idea of playing the game professionally was seen as kind of tacky by standards of the day. It was a game for college kids, not grownups. And since most college kids in those days were wealthy and attending college to be groomed for a career and not just to party (not to mention professional teams in the US and Canada paid peanuts), they had no interest in going pro. The league that would become the NFL was formed around 1920 (I'm assuming this since either '94 or '95 was the 75th Anniversary season), though some of the teams had been around longer than that, that's just the unification of the league.

As keef said, the Arizona Cardinals (originally the Chicago Cardinals then St. Louis Cardinals) formed in 1898. The Packers are considered the oldest team in continuous operation without changing cities, having been in the same city with the same name since 1919. There are older teams but they've changed cities and names over the years.

Thanks again NoCode0680 for taking the time to update me thumbs up

Date: September 25, 2013 23:45

mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity

[www.americascup.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

3 hours to race time!

Kinda like Overtime in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals (which I swear is my favorite moment in sports). Right now I'm wasting more time at the office than I have in a long time due to the fact that the AC website tells me that I have to download an add-in to watch on the website - which my corporate IT security won't let me do & the smartphone App tells me that my phone can't handle the app. Hoping that I'll be able to make the YouTube video work on my phone!

Enjoy the race!

Peace,
Mr DJA

I hope you got to watch it Mr DJA.

That is awesome that you grew up watching the
AC races and sailing, I did too!! It is great!

WOW!!!!! WOWZA!!! WOW!!! CONRATULATIONS TEAM ORACLE!!! THAT WAS AMAZING
THE GREATEST COMEBACK EVER IN ANY SPORT!! SPECFKGTACULAR!!!

And what a race, what a work of art to see those boats up on foils
blazing through the water.... and to win 8 races in a row after being
down 8-1 on the verge of defeat... AND THEY NEVER SAID DIE!!! NEVER GAVE UP!!!
THEY WON 7 IN A ROW TO TIE IT!!! AND THEN ONE MORE TODAY TO WIN IT ALL!!!!
AND THE AMERICA'S CUP STAYS IN THE STATES FOR ANOTHER 4 YEARS!!!!

WOW!!!

The details- before today's win- [www.americascup.com]

After staging an improbable comeback from 7 points behind and with no margin for error, ORACLE TEAM USA has forced a winner-take-all race tomorrow for the 34th America’s Cup after sweeping both races today.

ORACLE TEAM USA won Race 17 by 27 seconds and Race 18 by 54 seconds and now stands even with Emirates Team New Zealand on the scoreboard with 8 points each. Only twice before in the 162-year history of the America’s Cup has there been a winner-take-all final race, in 1920 and 1983. In 1920 the defender won and in ’83 the challenger won.

The Kiwis have been on match point since last Wednesday, Sept. 18, but now face the possibility of watching the defender stage perhaps the most historic comeback in sport. Already ORACLE TEAM USA has won 10 races, but has 8 points because of a penalty imposed by the International Jury.

“We do believe we can win, we’ve known we can win this thing for a long time,” said Emirates Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker. “It’s one thing to talk about it and another thing to do it. We have to do everything right and sail as well as we can. We’re going to prepare as we have been and we have confidence we can win this. No one’s slightly head down or lacking in confidence. We know if we put the pieces together we’ll be successful.”

ORACLE TEAM USA has been staring down the barrel of defeat with the slightest of slipups for the past week. Skipper Jimmy Spithill has played the underdog role since the Kiwis got to match point, and he’s still playing that theme in the hopes of a successful defense.

“I think we are the underdog, and I’m going to keep running with that and use that energy for tomorrow,” said Spithill, who at 30 years old in 2010 became the youngest to skipper an America’s Cup winner. “The exciting thing for me is seeing how this team has gelled together. Sometimes you need to face that barrel of the gun to come together. You can get wobbly in the knees or you can look into the barrel. Every day we’ve managed to step it up more.”

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 23:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 25, 2013 23:48

We now return to our regularly scheduled NFL thread cool smiley

Date: September 25, 2013 23:57

With just one more America's Cup blip...

AARGH!!! I MISSED IT!!! GLAD Max posted the update as I was just strating to look on the web and wasn't having any luck. Now hoping that I'll be able to find a replay of the actual race somewhere. This is why I take days off from work for the first two rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament!

NOW back to the NFL discussion! Thanks again for the update Max... I knew I'd "hear it here first!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 26, 2013 00:01

mr_dja
With just one more America's Cup blip...

AARGH!!! I MISSED IT!!! GLAD Max posted the update as I was just strating to look on the web and wasn't having any luck. Now hoping that I'll be able to find a replay of the actual race somewhere. This is why I take days off from work for the first two rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament!

NOW back to the NFL discussion! Thanks again for the update Max... I knew I'd "hear it here first!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

My pleasure, yes they have all the races up on youtube, and it is
a race you want to see. There was no losers today, the Kiwis did
not choke, it was just one boat, Team Oracle, was faster, and they
learned more everyday... and as you said, these boats up on foils is
whole anoteher level of sail boat racing....

It was an awesome close race!!!... until.... WOW!!!!

It will be on Youtube soon- [www.youtube.com]

PS
Heck yeah I would kill myself if I ever tried to sailing on foils,
I can see it now... up and roaring..... and then BAM!!!! it would
nose dive (I am not sure how they prevent that) and I would be headed
down to the bottom of the sea winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 00:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 26, 2013 13:00

wildhorse76
Ok Guy's - Let me throw a curved ball atcha !! - dumb question from the other side of the pond.

Should it not be named "NHL" National Handball League - is it not fact that 90% of the game is played by hand, so how it can be called 'Football'. yes I am from the UK, so how dare I question your national game.Intrigued.but would love some radical explanations so I can understand.
If you are in England, you're probably aware you get 2 real regular season games this year, starting this weekend. Then again a month from now. The matchup aren't so great but would probably still be fun!

Date: September 26, 2013 13:12

what is everyones thoughts on geno smith so far? chance to turn into a good QB?

Date: September 26, 2013 13:44

keefriffhard4life
Think his chances would be better if he weren't in NYC. Tough town. Look at Sanchez.

Date: September 26, 2013 13:54

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
Think his chances would be better if he weren't in NYC. Tough town. Look at Sanchez.

one of my friends said geno will never be a good NFL QB. said you could put him on the broncos and he would struggle to crack the top standings for active QBs. his reason and get this its dumb, geno played for a weaker conference, wasn't the best QB in the big east while he was playing and didn't play a tough college schedule.

if thats the case shouldn't tim tebow , greg mcelroy , colt mccoy, matt leinart, vince young, jamarcus russell, etc who were considered top level QBs in college in tough conferences be top stars in the nfl?

Date: September 26, 2013 14:10

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life

one of my friends said geno will never be a good NFL QB. said you could put him on the broncos and he would struggle to crack the top standings for active QBs. his reason and get this its dumb, geno played for a weaker conference, wasn't the best QB in the big east while he was playing and didn't play a tough college schedule.

if thats the case shouldn't tim tebow , greg mcelroy , colt mccoy, matt leinart, vince young, jamarcus russell, etc who were considered top level QBs in college in tough conferences be top stars in the nfl?
Logic would dictate but you are correct. A lot has to do with the coaching they received (offensive system, etc.). A lot of these guys have been kind of pampered their whole lives & then hit the NFL where just about all the players were stars in their own universe before hitting the big league. Its got to be a rude awakening. Then factor in the dollars. All of the sudden, at age 22, they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most don't have the maturity to handle it & are surrounded by buddies who tell them they are God's gift to the game. I know if I would've been making $200,000 a year at that age there would've been trouble. The game & its trappings are as much mental as physical.

Date: September 26, 2013 14:11

you could put him on the broncos and he would struggle to crack the top standings for active QBsThat is kind of a unfair comparison.

The donkeys are not what make P.Manning great, it is Manning who makes the donkeys great. He is an elder Master at the positon of NFL QB. Right now there is no one who knows how to be a better NFL QB. He can read the defense, he can anticipate the pass rush, he knows how to get rid of the ball on time, he knows who is covering which WR and he knows when to call an audible when everyone is going to be covered and he calls for a run... and he can do all of that in 10 seconds from the line of scrimmage. I am flabbergasted... and I say all of that as someone who despises the donkeys... fk them... but they have one of the best QBs to ever play and it is unfair to compare anyone to him, no one compares to him right no. He is a natural talent who studies and practices hard, he is rare He is in a class of his own right now in the NFL, A Master Jedi NFL Quarterback.

I dont know enough about Geno to judge him yet, but I wish him good luck. Being an NFL QB is one of the hardest things to be good at, things are designed to ruin them, make them fail, and the NFL has chewed up and spit out a long list of QBs who were good in college... heck a lot of GREAT college QBs never even make it to the NFL, it is harder than Peyton Manning makes it look... I hate that guy.

Date: September 26, 2013 14:17

Max'sKansasCity
you could put him on the broncos and he would struggle to crack the top standings for active QBsThat is kind of a unfair comparison.

The donkeys are not what make P.Manning great, it is Manning who makes the donkeys great. He is an elder Master at the positon of NFL QB. Right now there is no one who knows how to be a better NFL QB. He can read the defense, he can anticipate the pass rush, he knows how to get rid of the ball on time, he knows who is covering which WR and he knows when to call an audible when everyone is going to be covered and he calls for a run... and he can do all of that in 10 seconds from the line of scrimmage. I am flabbergasted... and I say all of that as someone who despises the donkeys... fk them... but they have one of the best QBs to ever play and it is unfair to compare anyone to him, no one compares to him right no. He is a natural talent who studies and practices hard, he is rare He is in a class of his own right now in the NFL, A Master Jedi NFL Quarterback.

I dont know enough about Geno to judge him yet, but I wish him good luck. Being an NFL QB is one of the hardest things to be good at, things are designed to ruin them, make them fail, and the NFL has chewed up and spit out a long list of QBs who were good in college... heck a lot of GREAT college QBs never even make it to the NFL, it is harder than Peyton Manning makes it look... I hate that guy.
smileys with beer With John Elway as the evil puppet master! It is a marriage made by Satan himself!grinning smiley

Date: September 26, 2013 14:23

crholmstrom

smileys with beer With John Elway as the evil puppet master! It is a marriage made by Satan himself!grinning smiley
THEY'RE ALL THE DEVIL!!!
Notice how all of the donkey cheerleaders look like Vicki Vallencourt!! And she is the devil, everyone knows that that.

What they all look like under their donkey uniforms/disguises

winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 14:28 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 26, 2013 14:29

Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom

THEY'RE ALL THE DEVIL!!!
Notice how all of the donkey cheerleaders look like Vicki Vallencourt!! And she is the devil, everyone knows that that.

What they all look like under their donkey uniforms/disguises

All they need is Jim Harbaugh as coach & the end of days will be upon us.

winking smiley

Date: September 26, 2013 14:31

grinning smileysmileys with beer

Date: September 26, 2013 15:04

sorry btw. that sentence was supposed to be "geno would struggle to crack the top 20 active QBs"

Date: September 26, 2013 15:08

keefriffhard4life
sorry btw. that sentence was supposed to be "geno would struggle to crack the top 20 active QBs"
nothing to be sorry for! was just giving you my opinion. as i have no life, i watch a real lot of football. haha.

Date: September 27, 2013 13:07

The 49er fans are whining about the crowd noise in Seattle. eye popping smiley The irony is they have hired the architect who designed Century Link Field to design their new stadium.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2013 16:16

crholmstrom
The 49er fans are whining about the crowd noise in Seattle. eye popping smiley The irony is they have hired the architect who designed Century Link Field to design their new stadium.

Then those 49ers fans shouldn't go to Seattle if their little ears hurt. No one's making them go...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2013 16:20

The 'great in college' QB does not automatically translate to the NFL. Johnny Manziel. if he goes to the NFL, will probably end up being a step above Tebow for all anyone knows - which shouldn't be hard to do but that is nowhere near being 'great'. Maybe Manziel won't translate in the NFL and he'll just be a 'was really good in college but can't get it done in the NFL' journeyman.

How people come up with 'they should do good' is beyond me. The NFL is so far beyond college it's criminal to think someone in college is already good enough. Geno Smith seems to be doing just fine and I woudn't be surprised if he ends up having a good year, regardless of the team he's on.

It takes some guys a few seasons to get going. It's a rare thing for immediate impact.

Date: September 28, 2013 09:45

GasLightStreet
The 'great in college' QB does not automatically translate to the NFL. Johnny Manziel. if he goes to the NFL, will probably end up being a step above Tebow for all anyone knows - which shouldn't be hard to do but that is nowhere near being 'great'. Maybe Manziel won't translate in the NFL and he'll just be a 'was really good in college but can't get it done in the NFL' journeyman.

How people come up with 'they should do good' is beyond me. The NFL is so far beyond college it's criminal to think someone in college is already good enough. Geno Smith seems to be doing just fine and I woudn't be surprised if he ends up having a good year, regardless of the team he's on.

It takes some guys a few seasons to get going. It's a rare thing for immediate impact.
Totally agree!smileys with beer

Date: September 29, 2013 12:51

Here we go, week 4!hot smiley

Date: September 29, 2013 19:34

Welcome to ARROWHEAD Eli... UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 29, 2013 21:16

Max'sKansasCity
Welcome to ARROWHEAD Eli... UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!!

[/quote

Nightmarish image...I'm a Giants follower.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home