Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 68
Re: OT: McCartney hires stars for new album
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 19, 2013 05:40

gaigai
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was truly a masterpiece, maybe the best record of 2005.
Agree with ya

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 23, 2013 09:49

McCartney and Timberlake Showcase New Material at iHeartRadio

Bruno Mars, Kesha, Joan Jett and Miley Cyrus round out the festival's second night

Sir Paul McCartney performs during the iHeart Radio Music Festival Village in Las Vegas, Nevada.

By Steve Baltin
September 22, 2013 6:40 PM ET

Las Vegas' iHeart Radio offered its audience plenty of fireworks on its second night, with a barrage of pyrotechnics going inside the arena, often leaving the stage in a smoky haze. Plenty of musical fireworks accompanied those literal pops and flames, from Paul McCartney, who opened the show with an eight-song set that included three new numbers, to recently announced Super Bowl act Bruno Mars.

Sir Paul started in a little after 7:30, opening with a rollicking rendition of "Magical Mystery Tour," which set the tone for a night that featured truly surreal performances from both Miley Cyrus and Kesha. McCartney’s set was a mixture of the old and new with the punk energy of "Save Us" and the anthemic sing-along "Everybody Out There" complementing a joyful "Lady Madonna" and the bombastic "Live And Let Die," the first song of the night to feature those fireworks.

Following McCartney is an almost impossible task, so iHeart's producers used rising DJ Zedd, who’s a producer on Lady Gaga’s new album, as a bridge to the rest of the night. Zedd’s brief mix of pop and dance set the stage for the radio-friendly Maroon 5, who delivered exactly what the crowd wanted with songs like "Moves Like Jagger."

Full details at: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 23, 2013 10:35

Glad Paul's still cookin'! cool smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:50

The last time he made a good album was Let It Be

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 24, 2013 10:13

Full iHeart performance now available on Dime in 1080p : [www.dimeadozen.org]

Two more new songs previewed on top of "New", "Save Us" and "Everybody Out There"...well as it turns out "New" now sounds like the "masterpiece"...which is not saying a lot as I was unimpressed at first. "Save Us" sounds like an outtake of the already derivative "Only Mama Knows" and "Everybody Out There"..the bastard son of "Hope of Deliverance" and "Freedom"! Oh well, still good to see him out there I guess ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 24, 2013 12:25

'Save Us' rocks really hard. A cool guitar-riff and a very nice chours.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 24, 2013 12:39

I think it is a little bit disappointing. it sopunds average; Macca is still able to do much better than this.

Date: September 24, 2013 20:47

"Everybody Out There" has grown on me a bit, but "Save Us" really has little going for it other than the fact that it's got rythm...a mish mash of "No Values" (the song Macca says he dreamt and thought it was a Stones' song!), "Only Mama Knows"...I think I like "Get out of my way" better, which isn't saying much ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 7, 2013 20:40

It must be an interesting "New" album if tracks are being "leaked" ahead of release....

Five tracks from Paul McCartney's unreleased 'New' album reported leaked

Paul McCartney fans on various music message boards and on Facebook reported Oct. 5 that five tracks from his “New” album, which won't be released until next week, had been leaked. Some fans said the songs came from a sampler disc, but a record company spokesman said no disc had been sent out.

According to various reports, the tracks included the upcoming single “Queenie Eye,” which will be released this week, “I Can Bet,” “Early Days” and the studio versions of “Save Us” and “Everybody Out There,” two songs that McCartney and his band played live for the first time at the iHeartRadio Music Festival and on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”

A sixth track, “New,” has already been released as a single and was the first track from the album to be made public. The “New” single sits at #20 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, up from #21 the previous week. On the Japan Hot 100, the song is #40, down from #29 last week and a peak of #9 with five weeks on the chart. It has not, as of when this was written, yet debuted on the British music charts. Those charts will be updated later today. The album will be released Oct. 14 in the UK and Oct. 15 in the U.S. The deluxe version of the album can be ordered on iTunes and Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk and Walmart.

Full details at: [www.examiner.com]

Date: October 10, 2013 06:09

Paul McCartney Surprises Queens High School With Auditorium Rock Show

The star debuts songs from his 'New' album, revisits Beatles classics and takes questions from students

Paul McCartney performs at the Frank Sinatra School for the Arts in Astoria, Queens.

By Simon Vozick-Levinson
October 9, 2013 5:30 PM ET

"This beats going to class," Paul McCartney said with a big smile after taking the stage for a surprise performance at a performing arts high school in Astoria, Queens this afternoon. The 400 students packing the Frank Sinatra School for the Arts' auditorium seemed very much to agree.

McCartney and his band played a full set of 13 songs, including three selections from his upcoming album New (due out next week) and plenty of Beatles and Wings classics – performing each one with all the boundless enthusiasm he brought to arenas and stadiums on his Out There world tour this year. Astoria native Tony Bennett, who founded the school in 2001, was in attendance, as was McCartney's wife, Nancy Shevell, celebrating their second anniversary. (It was a day of many milestones: Today would also have been John Lennon's 73rd birthday.) The show was filmed by iHeartRadio, and will be streamed on ClearChannel radio stations and online on Yahoo! on Monday, October 14th.

McCartney took the stage shortly after 2:00 P.M., launching directly into "Eight Days A Week" to rapturous applause – never mind that most of the crowd was born 30 years or more after the song's release. He went on for 90 spirited minutes, with short breaks for questions from his student audience and longtime New York radio DJ Jim Kerr. As always, McCartney seemed genuinely thrilled to be onstage, buoyed by the crowd's cheers. "I could be home watching the TV now," he said at one point. "I'd rather be here."

He clearly enjoyed bantering back and forth with his new friends during the Q&A sections. "How are you?" asked one high school senior. "Groovy!" McCartney replied. The kids, aspiring artists themselves, seemed most interested in hearing about McCartney's younger days as a musician. "When we first started out, I was terrified of doing anything wrong on stage," he said after one girl asked for the greatest lesson he learned early on. "But then I learned that people don't mind. They actually kind of like it!"

Later, Kerr asked McCartney, in his sonorous radio voice, "How can one mind create so many memorable melodies?" McCartney paused. "Uh . . ." he began. "I don't know. Thank you for the compliment, but I don't really think about what I do." On reflection, he realized the answer was simple: "I just love what I do."

This much was obvious from watching him onstage. McCartney hopped from his Hofner bass to two acoustic guitars to his psychedelically-painted piano, singing his heart out all the while. After closing with a heartfelt "Hey Jude" and taking a bow with his band, he seemed almost reluctant to leave the stage. McCartney flashed a quick peace sign at the crowd on his way out, and the giddy students filing out of the auditorium raised an endless chorus of "na-na-na-na"s, echoing through the school's corridors.

Set List:
"Eight Days a Week"
"Save Us"
"Jet"
(Q&A)
"New"
"Lady Madonna"
(Q&A)
"We Can Work It Out"
"Everybody Out There"
"Blackbird"
(Q&A)
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
(Q&A)
"Band on the Run"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Hey Jude"

Story from: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 17, 2013 13:23

So anybody out there has listened to the record? Any impressions? Personally I think it's a bit of a letdown. Quite surprisingly, "New" seems to be one of the strongest numbers of the record. I also enjoyed "Alligator", "Queenie Eye", "Appreciate" and "Hosanna", but the other songs didn't really impress me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2013 14:37

I'm in agreement with you Wild Slivovitz. Though I was cautious early in the year I let those darn critics hype me up. However, I thought it had to be a big stretch when one of them claimed it's better than some of his Beatles' work. My favorite tune is Queenie Eye, followed by Save Us. And like you I feel "New" is one of the stronger tunes. When I first heard it I thought it wasn't very good. Overall I'm not impressed with the album, expected a lot more from "the greatest songwiter alive" as some claim and I'm a huge Beatles fan by the way. In other news I love the way he's treating his fans with surprise gigs and even an autograph signing this Friday.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 17, 2013 20:50

According to The Hot Hits site "McCartney is likely to debut at #2 in the USA"

Date: October 18, 2013 15:37

Currently streaming live from Covent Garden : [www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

--------------

OT: Macca to play free BBC In Concert show in October
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2013 12:15

If anyone's interested in trying to get free McCartney tickets for his forthcoming BBC In Concert show in Maida Vale, London, you can apply here.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

More information from today's Daily Telegraph.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 12:20 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Macca to play free BBC In Concert show in October
Date: October 1, 2013 12:41

In other BBC news, fans who sent McCartney a message got a reply from the former Beatle--50 years later....

Beatles fans get reply from Paul McCartney 50 years on

The teenagers sent the reel-to-reel tape to The Beatles on their tour in December 1963.

Two women from Essex have received a reply from Sir Paul McCartney, half a century after trying to contact him.

Barbara Bezant and Lyn Phillips recorded a message to the then Beatle in 1963 and sent a tape to the London theatre where the band was playing.

Decades later it turned up at a car boot sale and the women were reunited with the recording by The One Show.

Sir Paul wrote to them to thank them for their "lovely tape" and said "better late than never".

At the time of the recording, Barbara Bezant and Lyn Phillips were 17 and 19 respectively and both lived in Eltham, south London.

They saw The Beatles at the Lewisham Odeon in December 1963 and recorded their message on a reel-to-reel tape recorder before posting it to the Finsbury Park Astoria, where the band were due to play.

Barbara Bezant and Lyn Phillips were reunited in Liverpool to listen to the tape.

'Live in hope'

Among other things, the message said: "This dream is just to come round the back and see you, but I don't suppose that'll ever happen.

"But we can always live in hope, can't we?"

The tape was bought at a car boot sale in Great Yarmouth by local historian David McDermott who listened to it.

He said: "It was like sitting in a bubble and being there when these two girls were making this tape.

"The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and it made me wonder if these two were still with us."

The One Show reunited the pair at The Beatles Story exhibition in Liverpool and presented them with the letter from Sir Paul.

Paul McCartney in 1963

'Amazed'

It read: "Hi Linda and Barbara, thanks very much for you lovely tape. It finally got through, better late than never.

"Great to hear that you found each other after all these years.

"Keep enjoying the music, love Paul."

The women had not seen each other for 40 years, although both were living in Essex - Barbara in Dovercourt and Lyn in Leigh on Sea.

They said they were "amazed" to be reunited and to finally get a reply from a Beatle.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 1, 2013 12:42

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting- I really hope the slim crossover of IORRian-Macca fans get lucky for this one-off...would love to be there!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 1, 2013 13:35

I love Paul for doing this. Not only a new album but he knows how take care his fans unlike my other favorite band. Sorry, but I feel compelled to say it.

Date: October 1, 2013 13:49

Yep. I can't imagine the Stones playing a free BBC In Concert. But then again I guess Macca does have a new album to support and this is a great way of guaranteeing him lots of free PR as the show will be both on TV and the radio.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:24

Can US citizens apply?

Date: October 1, 2013 14:28

MingSubu
Can US citizens apply?

I can't see why not? Give it a go.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:33

The application doesn't accept my postal code. Didn't ask for a country either. Wondering if there is another application.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:51

Silver Dagger
If anyone's interested in trying to get free McCartney tickets for his forthcoming BBC In Concert show in Maida Vale, London, you can apply here.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

More information from today's Daily Telegraph.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

thanks for the tip off silver dagger. got my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 1, 2013 16:24

Well I've entered but I'm not holding my breath!

It's great that Paul does these things.

When he released Memory Almost Full in 2007 he did a secret gig at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, London. Something was posted online the morning of the show so I made my way to the venue at around 10:30am. At around midday they handed out wristbands (for free) and told us to come back at around 7pm when the doors would open.

It was an awesome show, I was about four metres away from him, he did about 90mins, playing about five new songs and a bunch off classics like 'Drive My Car'.

Good luck to everyone getting tickets!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

OT: Paul McCartney answers fan message that had been lost for 50 years.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:18

Better late than never. Paul McCartney recently had a chance to respond to a taped message from a pair of impassioned Beatles fans — 50 years after it was originally recorded.

The BBC reports that the tape, mailed to a London theater where the Beatles were playing in 1963, contained a greeting from then-teenaged fans Barbara Bezant and Lyn Phillips, who told the band, “This dream is just to come round the back and see you, but I don’t suppose that’ll ever happen. But we can always live in hope, can’t we?”

Unsurprisingly, the Beatles didn’t respond at the time, but the tape’s trip through the U.K. postal service was just the beginning of a long and apparently fairly bizarre journey, which ended when it somehow turned up at a flea market. The buyer, described as a local historian named David McDermott, told the BBC that he was stunned by what he heard. “It was like sitting in a bubble and being there when these two girls were making this tape,” he recalled. “The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and it made me wonder if these two were still with us.”

From there, it ended up in the hands of a segment producer at the BBC’s ‘The One Show,’ at which point the ladies were tracked down — and McCartney finally had a chance to reply. “Hi Linda and Barbara, thanks very much for you lovely tape. It finally got through, better late than never,” he wrote in a note presented to Bezant and Phillips on the show. “Great to hear that you found each other after all these years. Keep enjoying the music. Love, Paul.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 18:20 by steffiestones.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney answers fan message that had been lost for 50 years.
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:48

Like when Ringo gets fan mail from Marge Simpson years after she sent it off:

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:52

Title5Take1
Like when Ringo gets fan mail from Marge Simpson years after she sent it off:

Well, the Springfield post office is notoriously incompetent. They normally just rifle through people's mail for money.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2013 19:08

That old &%$§# should have invited those
2 backstage to one of his shows.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: October 1, 2013 20:04

TooTough
That old &%$§# should have invited those
2 backstage to one of his shows.

If he invited everybody who sent him something during the last fifty years backstage would be really crowded

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 1, 2013 20:40

I wonder if Mick would do the same?....

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home