Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 68
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 25, 2018 18:11

Yep I've been the biggest Macca fan since 1982 and like for the Stones have read everything I can lay my hands on but that "carpool show" was really special on so many levels and I welled up as early as Penny Lane...It's easy to take our heroes for granted and nitpick about everything but one day, well it's going to hurt. In the meantime let's make the most of it and show they're right to keep going!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 25, 2018 18:23

gotdablouse -I can't put my finger on it exactly but this TV show just blew it up. Don't know how much of it was scripted or even if it matters, it was just well done. Plus the 2 new songs are great. Okay maybe not epic but still damn good. The 76 year old Paul is killing it, wow!!!

Re: OT - Paul McCartney plays a 40 song setlist in NYC at MSG!
Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 26, 2018 07:44

The carpool karaoke was so much fun, and his new song, “Come On To Me” makes me happy. Good stuff from Paul. Two wonderful surprises.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 26, 2018 10:02

I used to live in the Penny Lane area when I was in college, and so many of the locations in that show brought back such happy memories, including the scenes in the Phil (the pub where he plays at the end, famed for its ornate men's bathroom, which I may or may not have seen). Add to this the fact that I grew up loving the Beatles and that they were responsible for my loving Liverpool before I ever went there, and this show was a classic for me. smiling smiley

smoking smileyRe: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 26, 2018 13:31

Carpool Karaoke with James Corden was a Blast

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:05

Aquamarine
I used to live in the Penny Lane area when I was in college, and so many of the locations in that show brought back such happy memories, including the scenes in the Phil (the pub where he plays at the end, famed for its ornate men's bathroom, which I may or may not have seen). Add to this the fact that I grew up loving the Beatles and that they were responsible for my loving Liverpool before I ever went there, and this show was a classic for me. smiling smiley

This was nice to read. Thanks, Aquamarine! smiling smiley

OT: Paul McCartney
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 2, 2018 19:44

Getty/Jim Dyson

Everyone loves Paul McCartney: The secrets of one Beatle’s eternal appeal

The enduring sentimentality of Sir Paul was on full display in “Carpool Karaoke.” But it’s about more than that

Annie Zaleski
July 1, 2018

It was inevitable that Paul McCartney's appearance on James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" would make a splash. The musician's not just famous: He's a Beatle, at a level of famous that's almost hard to comprehend, it's in such rarefied air. But the extended episode quickly became a viral hit: The video is at 91 million views (and counting) on Facebook, with another 21 million YouTube views piled on for good measure.

The clip is a music nerd's dream, as it's McCartney playing tour guide in Liverpool, ground zero for the Beatles. Still, the entire episode was sniffle-inducing — from Paul in his childhood home reminiscing about writing songs with John Lennon and playing a jaunty version of "When I'm 64" on the piano, to his rowdy gig in a cozy Liverpool pub.

It was a profound delight — but also extraordinarily (and even unexpectedly) moving. Writer Bryan Behar penned a Medium post, "Why I Can’t Stop Crying Thinking About that Paul McCartney Video," and he wasn't exaggerating: My eyes welled with tears multiple times watching the clip, completely involuntarily, and I saw multiple Facebook friends (and friends-of-friends) express similar sentiments. Even the affable Corden got choked up while driving around with Macca singing along to "Let It Be."

As the host wiped his eyes, he said, "I can remember my granddad, who's a musician, and my dad sitting me down and saying, 'We're going to play you the best song we've ever heard.' And I remember them playing me that. If my granddad was here right now, he'd get an absolute kick out of this.'"

McCartney immediately responded, "He is." It was a stunning and poignant moment, wisely buttressed with silence to let the emotional gravitas linger.

The simple act of driving around in a car hollering along to the Beatles certainly exudes catharsis, especially in the wake of an increasingly horrific news cycle. But the widespread, visceral responses to familiar songs and stories intrigued me: Why does Paul McCartney provoke such deep sentimentality?

Depending on when you discovered the Beatles (or Paul), this answer will certainly differ. Original Beatles fans from the '60s have one view of what he represents; younger folks who came around to the band (or Wings and solo McCartney) in the last few decades have another take. Where these perspectives overlap is simple: The act of loving the music of the Beatles — and, by extension, McCartney's songwriting — transcends the passage of time.

Bands come and go, but the Beatles are one of the few acts to consistently resonate with younger listeners. Their albums are global musical folklore, totems passed from generation to generation that accumulate more layers of mystique with each passing year. In a fractured world — pop culture and otherwise — the Beatles offer rare common ground. Today's kids generally can't rebel against their parents and listen to the Beatles; chances are, mom and dad are the ones that introduced their children to the band.

I often like to say there's a Beatles album for every occasion or age. But in retrospect, it's fascinating to track how the band's career ran in parallel with such profound global changes — civil and women's rights, war protests, economic shifts. Through it all, the Beatles evolved too, while still tapping into our collective, primal optimism. Today, the band's music provides a reminder of who we were, what we became, and what we've both lost and gained. As Behar put it in his piece, "This video wasn’t just about this video: It was about parents that are no longer with us. It was about our own kids, now grown and moved on from our nurturing nests."

For many music fans, the last few years have taught us that our heroes are fallible and that loss is inevitable. Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty — these seemingly untouchable figures died suddenly and prematurely, well before their artistic lives felt complete. This phenomenon only magnifies the fragility of the Beatles, a band whose legacy was shaped by jarring, painful tragedies (John Lennon's 1980 murder, George Harrison's passing from cancer in 2001). In between, McCartney also suffered another incalculable blow, the death of his beloved collaborator and wife Linda from breast cancer in 1998.

These losses made McCartney eminently human, especially since he did some of his grieving publicly. There's the 1982 solo song "Here Today," which takes the form of McCartney talking to Lennon; it remains a staple of his live show. A 1984 Playboy interview was even more revealing as he ping-ponged between despair, regret and bewilderment over Lennon's death and offered up one "consoling factor," that things ended on an up note.

"I do feel it was sad that we never actually sat down and straightened our differences out," he said. "But fortunately for me, the last phone conversation I ever had with him was really great, and we didn't have any kind of blowup."

The Beatles' friendships resonated so profoundly because musical icons often feel like family — or are at least larger-than-life representations of our own familial relationships. Bob Dylan's our gruff, distant relative who prefers staying off the grid in the woods whenever possible. Neil Young's the hippie uncle smoking weed outside during holiday visits. Madonna is your cool aunt who taught you how to swear, take no shit from men and find thrift store bargains.

But Paul McCartney is a benevolent grandpa — the one who always keeps ice cream in the freezer for dessert, who's always ready with a riveting personal story or historical anecdote and has lived an impossibly cool, full life. This is the McCartney seen in "Carpool Karaoke": He was sharp as a tack and in good humor, yet also exuded vulnerability. There were white streaks in his sandy hair, and his voice was slightly more weathered than it used to be, like a photograph faded from the sun.

But McCartney's "Carpool Karaoke" appearance wasn't just a nostalgic jaunt: The clip also served as a way to promote two new songs, "I Don’t Know" and "Come On To Me," from a forthcoming solo album, "Egypt Station." Despite plenty of reissues and "new" songs, The Fab Four never had a chance to reunite; their original run remains preserved in amber, an endlessly fascinating example of youthful bravado greased by musical genius.

McCartney, however, has always been restless, driven to create and innovate and challenge himself to keep bringing art and music into existence. As "Carpool Karaoke" demonstrated, his relentless ambition and quest for beauty is admirable — and his continued presence in the world feels like a gift.

[www.salon.com]

Re: OT: Paul McCartney
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 3, 2018 02:00

bye bye johnny

Getty/Jim Dyson

The enduring sentimentality of Sir Paul was on full display in “Carpool Karaoke.” But it’s about more than that

Annie Zaleski
July 1, 2018

[Snips]

McCartney, however, has always been restless, driven to create and innovate and challenge himself to keep bringing art and music into existence. As "Carpool Karaoke" demonstrated, his relentless ambition and quest for beauty is admirable — and his continued presence in the world feels like a gift.

[www.salon.com]

Paul has spent his entire adult life entertaining people, AND taking care of the PR. It's in his bones. It's what he's been doing for 56+ years. After that length of time, it comes naturally.

I've told the tale several times here of how I had a long chat with him - not least because he spotted that I was waiting to have the chat and he defied his minders to come over and talk. Plus the way that his office then called where I then worked to track down two then colleagues who had been prevented from meeting him in order to be able to send them each a personal signed photo. Or the way he sent me a copy of a pre-show video of elephants being killed, by return of post, when I asked him for advice about letting my then 9 year old see it.

It's what he does. I strongly suspect that he enjoyed the moment the curtains parted in the pub just as much as the folk sitting there did!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

OT: Paul McCartney - Freshen Up Tour
Date: July 4, 2018 00:44

THE 'FRESHEN UP' TOUR 2018
FIRST 2018 DATES ANNOUNCED OF NEW TOUR

September 17: Quebec City, QC - the Videotron Centre
September 20: Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
September 28: Winnipeg, MB - Bell MTS Place
September 30: Edmonton, AB - Rogers Place

NEW ALBUM EGYPT STATION OUT SEPTEMBER 7th ON
CAPITOL RECORDS

“We’ve always had such a fantastic time playing shows in Canada. We can’t wait to return in September for what should be another special run of shows. We are looking forward to freshening up our show and playing some of our songs from the new album alongside those songs we know you like to hear. Get ready to rock Canada!” - Paul

[www.paulmccartney.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 5, 2018 18:28

CaptainCorella
bye bye johnny

Getty/Jim Dyson

Annie Zaleski
July 1, 2018

[Snips]

[www.salon.com]

Paul has spent his entire adult life entertaining people, AND taking care of the PR. It's in his bones. It's what he's been doing for 56+ years. After that length of time, it comes naturally.

I've told the tale several times here of how I had a long chat with him - not least because he spotted that I was waiting to have the chat and he defied his minders to come over and talk. Plus the way that his office then called where I then worked to track down two then colleagues who had been prevented from meeting him in order to be able to send them each a personal signed photo. Or the way he sent me a copy of a pre-show video of elephants being killed, by return of post, when I asked him for advice about letting my then 9 year old see it.

It's what he does. I strongly suspect that he enjoyed the moment the curtains parted in the pub just as much as the folk sitting there did!

*Fantastic. I watched Late Late show w/ James C. my 1st time
specifically for Paul Mcartney/ these reviews/ I am a fan of Paul.
1.) I am glad it went to the pub no offense but James C singing over Sir Paul
one more song, I was going to get pissed.
2.) My ‘favorite part’
When camera is on just Paul in the car, and Paul says while he muses:
‘Isn’t it funny how music can do that to you?’

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 5, 2018 18:41

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 5, 2018 19:34

UK dates too -

Wednesday December 12 – Echo Arena, Liverpool
Friday December 14 – SSE Hydro, Glasgow
Sunday December 16 – The O2, London

Echo Arena smallest of the three venues, will be a hot ticket.

£72.50 - £135 for Liverpool

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 5, 2018 19:35

3 new dates announced for December in the UK !

Also in the news an interesting interview of Greg Kurstin the producer of the new album : [www.rollingstone.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 5, 2018 21:11

Gut reaction - I’m not thrilled that he did the album with Greg and Ryan, but I would have said the same about Paul Eppworth on the last record, and one of his tracks (Queenie Eye) turned out to be my favorite song on New.

But this interview has me feeling much better about it. The worry I had is that it would be more like the record Liam Gallagher did with Greg Kurstin, or the recent stuff U2 did with Ryan Tedder, where the producer largely wrote the songs (irrespective of what the credits say). This doesn’t sound like that, which is encouraging.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:05

gotdablouse

Also in the news an interesting interview of Greg Kurstin the producer of the new album : [www.rollingstone.com]

This is SOOOOO exciting

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:10

gotdablouse

That was a nice reading, thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:52

His new song I heard in James C.’s car,
‘if you’re coming on to me, I’m coming on to you’
LOL, that was the whole song, and it worked, clever I thought ;-)

Ticket in Liverpool with all his baby boomer foloower$
hard to get
but the trip thru his house he hadn’t been back to (!)
remembering writing all those songs— that’s some stuff.
Thanks Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-05 23:53 by 35love.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 6, 2018 04:16

Hope he plays some different tunes as well, something the stones should do

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 6, 2018 11:54

I'm sorry, I cannot stand Paul McCartney now. His voice is so flat and uninteresting now, and as a song writer he NEEDED Lennon to inspire him. He's been a monotone bore to me since The Beatles with every few exceptions. Like ... Mull of Kintyre, at least it was interesting and different, and the truly exceptional Maybe I'm Amazed.

But, having given us the wonderous Long and Winding Road, Back in the USSR and Let it Be, he gives us Silly Love Songs, Give Ireland Back to the Irish, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Ballroom Dancing, With a Little Luck and the truly awful Ebony and Ivory?

I've tried, I truly have. I bought every solo/Wings record up to the Off the Ground record in the early 90's. I almost enjoyed Band on the Run, but never thought it the classic others had, but I had to give up on him....until I bought New four or five years ago. Tried again. Nup.

Applaud his longevity and output, at least he creates. But not to my taste for decades.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 15:33 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: July 6, 2018 13:54

bitusa2012

But, having given us the wondrous Long and Winding Road, Back in the USSR and Let it Be,

Those 3 songs alone are a career for most artists...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 13:57 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 6, 2018 14:13

gotdablouse

I've put my name down for the London presale.

Date: July 13, 2018 18:08

December 3 Krakow and December 5 Vienna dates announced.

[www.paulmccartney.com]

Date: July 18, 2018 21:27

Why do you think you should attend a secret event in London with Paul next week? Post a short video using the hashtag #UnderTheStaircase

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 18, 2018 22:07

Oh my, that is very nice of Paul to give back to the fans this way!
But wondering what on earth this "secret event" could be?

A small gig at a small club?
A guided walking tour led by Paul through the streets of London?
Maybe a few pints with Paul followed by an all you can eat fish'n'chips dinner?

smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 18, 2018 23:39

Something like this would be nice, but it could be something completely different .

[youtu.be]

Gotta be an event of some sort but will be interesting when we all find out.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 18, 2018 23:51

That's a pretty good way to make sure serious fans get in to something like a club show. I like it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:06

CaptainCorella
bye bye johnny

Annie Zaleski
July 1, 2018

[Snips]

[www.salon.com]

[snips]

Oh dear.

I have a friend in London who has worked at the fringes of the film industry for many years. (He features prominently in one scene in a Harry Potter movie).

He has a friend in the industry. And the friend has a son. A few weeks ago the son worked as a runner on the Carpool Karaoke shoot.

His firm assertion is that all of the people drinking in the pub when the curtains went back were paid actors.

Oh dear.

Yes, we're in FOAF territory here, but I believe my friend.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 19, 2018 01:17

Guess they encouraged 'em to use their phones so they'd appear less suspect... ; )

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:34

Reminds me of the sappy REO Speedwagon song:

"Heard it from a friend, who...heard it from a friend, who...heard it from another Paul's been messin' around..." winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 19, 2018 01:38

CaptainCorella
I have a friend in London who has worked at the fringes of the film industry for many years. (He features prominently in one scene in a Harry Potter movie).

He has a friend in the industry. And the friend has a son. A few weeks ago the son worked as a runner on the Carpool Karaoke shoot.

His firm assertion is that all of the people drinking in the pub when the curtains went back were paid actors.

Oh dear.

Yes, we're in FOAF territory here, but I believe my friend.

But does it matter?

It's Paul McCartney performing in a pub, in Liverpool.

The Stones hired payed models to fill the front rows of the Beacon Theater in the Shine A Light movie.

But so what?

It's the Stones performing in a theater, in New York.

Synonyms for "assertion": contention, claim, opinion, etc.

I for one couldn't care less what your friend contends, claims, believes, etc.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home