Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 24, 2018 05:19

On a related note..
Can anyone confirm what I'm thinking I hear Jagger singing at around the 2:40 mark?

[youtu.be]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 25, 2018 15:07

MisterDDDD
On a related note..
Can anyone confirm what I'm thinking I hear Jagger singing at around the 2:40 mark?

[youtu.be]

He wants to do some things to my mother.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 25, 2018 16:21

Who wouldn't? I think very highly of Mrs. Freak myself. A fine mother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-25 16:22 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 25, 2018 17:20

Rocky Dijon
Who wouldn't? I think very highly of Mrs. Freak myself. A fine mother.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 26, 2018 12:50

Wow - Paul is playing The Cavern at lunchtime today in a free concert to publicise his latest album.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 26, 2018 12:55

Silver Dagger
Wow - Paul is playing The Cavern at lunchtime today in a free concert to publicise his latest album.

Tickets went on sale at the Liverpool Echo Arena box office this morning at 1 hour's notice (anounced 9, Sales from 10) with ID required. That's one way to ensure a local audience grinning smiley.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 26, 2018 15:20

Glad he is doing a free gig at The Cavern for fans, as well as the celebrity gig at Abbey Road for the rich and famous .

Good luck to all fans who got the free tix.

Will be an afternoon to remember I'm sure. thumbs up

Macca at The Cavern.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: July 26, 2018 15:39

Hope someone from IORR gets in to see that show...Would be very cool..Got a GA for Paul in Krakow....

Date: July 26, 2018 16:02

mikey C
Hope someone from IORR gets in to see that show...Would be very cool..Got a GA for Paul in Krakow....

Hi Mikey, I'm going to that show. Got GA Early Entry smiling smiley Unlike the other 5 shows anounced so far, tickets are easily available for that show and I'm told the Sound is excellent there.

OT: Paul McCartney - Cavern Club, July 26
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 26, 2018 18:17

Date: July 26, 2018 18:54

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - Cavern Club, July 26
Date: July 26, 2018 19:18

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - Cavern Club, July 26
Date: July 26, 2018 19:40

bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

Very decent setlist imho. Would be happy with that when I see him. Nice to see Queenie Eye kept from his last album. It always got a good response from the crowd.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 26, 2018 19:48

Wow incredible that would be a dream gig to be at - nice setlist.thumbs up

In the beginning - In Spite of all the Danger

grzegorz67

Very decent setlist imho. Would be happy with that when I see him. Nice to see Queenie Eye kept from his last album. It always got a good response from the crowd.

thumbs up

And 28 songs!
Which is actually short in comparison to the regular show setlists which sometimes hit the 40 song mark!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-26 19:52 by Hairball.

Date: July 26, 2018 20:30

Hairball
Wow incredible that would be a dream gig to be at - nice setlist.thumbs up

In the beginning - In Spite of all the Danger

grzegorz67

thumbs up

And 28 songs!
Which is actually short in comparison to the regular show setlists which sometimes hit the 40 song mark!

He did 41 at a couple of shows I went to. He usually clocks in at around 2 hours 45 minutes for a show in my experience. I believe he keeps himself in good shape with a healthy diet and going to the gymn but we don’t see that on stage like we do with Mick.

Date: July 26, 2018 21:30

Paul McCartney review – secret tour down memory lane in Liverpool

Classic Beatles songs come along like buses during this jolly surprise gig at the club synonymous with Beatlemania

Photograph: Sonny McCartney / MPL

Dave Simpson
Thu 26 Jul 2018

Although Paul McCartney became, in 1964, the last Beatle to move away from his home town, lately he doesn’t seem to be able to keep away from the place. Last month he played an impromptu gig at the Philharmonic Dining Rooms pub on Hope Street, where he entertained disbelieving drinkers with Fab Four and Wings classics. Then – for a special edition of the Late Late Show With James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke – he nipped to his teenage home on 20 Forthlin Road, where he wrote songs with John Lennon – and bashed out When I’m Sixty-Four. Now, here is he again, with a secret gig at the Cavern.

This isn’t – quite – the building that triggered the start of Beatlemania, and thus effectively the birthplace of the most famous rock’n’roll quartet in history. The original Cavern was flattened to make a car park before being rebuilt in the 1980s. But nobody here is splitting hairs. Beatle Paul is back on Mathew Street and the 300 people crammed into this sweltering little club are almost close enough to touch a living Beatle.

“Liverpool! Cavern! Two words that go together,” he begins, although some things have changed. He’s halfway through Eddie Cochran’s Twenty Flight Rock (the song with which he auditioned for John Lennon in 1957) when he stops it to admonish people filming on mobile phones. “It’s purrin’ me off,” he says, sounding more Cilla than Macca, but moments later, a storming version of Magical Mystery Tour – with the crowd on impromptu backing vocals – offers the first taste of what they came for.

In truth, the setlist is a bit magic, a bit mystery as it careers from post-Beatles combo Wings’ big hits (Jet and Band on the Run), well-chosen album tracks (Wings’ Let Me Roll It), Beatle reggae (Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da), unexpected gems (pre-Beatle band the Quarrymen’s In Spite of All the Danger), lesser-loved solo songs (Hi, Hi, Hi) and a chunk from his forthcoming album, Egypt Station, which this filmed shebang is promoting. Who Cares is more pedestrian than its subject – bullying. But the keyboard-driven Valentine (an unashamed, unconditional love song for McCartney’s third wife, Nancy) is really lovely. At 76, he’s suddenly singing about sex as playfully as a young Beatle. Come on to Me is cheeky. The piano stomping on Fuh You is rather naughty. “A woman at the American label said it would be too much for the religious bodies,” he quips. “I said, ‘Fuh her.’”

The songs are interspersed with crowd banter (“Chuck ’im out”), dollops of emotion (“It’s amazing for me, being back”) and dips into a very deep well of anecdotes. There’s one about the time the fledgling Beatles clubbed together £5 to make one copy of their own single and each kept it for a week. There is another from their first show at the Cavern, then a blues club, when the furious owner handed them a note reading: “We don’t play rock’n’roll in here.”

Beatles songs come along like buses – an All My Loving here or Lady Madonna there. Things We Said Today is beautifully, magically reflective. Get Back sees him being told, “Get back to where you once belonged” by 10 rows of vocal scousers. Love Me Do and I Saw Her Standing There offer an authentic Cavern-in-the-60s experience, before – around the two-hour mark – a raucous Helter Skelter threatens to do for what’s left of the sweat-soaked singer’s now hoarse voice. Perhaps one or two more Beatles big guns wouldn’t have gone amiss, but the busker standing outside the venue helpfully obliges.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 26, 2018 22:27

Date: July 26, 2018 22:55

Sir Paul McCartney rolls back the years in Cavern comeback (but no phones please)

Sonny McCartney/MPL

By Ian Youngs

More than six decades have passed since Sir Paul McCartney first performed at the Cavern Club, but the Beatles legend returned to roll back the years at a "secret" gig there on Thursday.

Around 250 people crammed into a sweaty Cavern to hear the 28-song set.

The set list ranged from classics he performed when the Beatles started out at the Liverpool venue in the early 1960s to songs from his new solo album.

"Coming back here is pretty amazing for me," the 76-year-old told the crowd.

He skirted over the fact that the original Cavern was filled with rubble in 1973 and the venue for Thursday's show was a more modern live room attached to a replica Cavern that was built nearby.

"Imagine this for me - all these years ago when we played the Cavern we didn't know if we'd have any future," he said. "But we did OK."

The crowd included 175 lucky fans who had to race to collect the free tickets from the Echo Arena box office when the show was announced on Thursday morning.

Tom Gilchrist, 28, from Liverpool, started waiting outside the Cavern first thing after hearing rumours of the gig. But they jumped in a taxi when they heard they had to get to the arena.

They joined others running to the box office, and saw one woman faint in the process. "It was like Beatlemania all over again," he said.

Friend Chris Clements described the concert as "probably the best thing that's ever happened to me in my life".

He said: "We were so close he could have been in my lounge at home."

His girlfriend Dana Fischetti, 22, happened to be visiting from Connecticut, USA. "I'm so lucky," she said. "The chances of this happening are so long. It doesn't feel real that this is really happening. I love The Beatles."

Phones 'putting me off'

Sir Paul greeted the crowd by adapting the lyrics from the song Michelle: "Liverpool! Cavern! These are words that go together well."

After an introductory jam, he launched into "the song that got me in The Beatles" - Eddie Cochrane's Twenty Flight Rock, which Sir Paul played as his audition for John Lennon in 1957.

However he stopped the song halfway through and showed a rare bad mood when he berated the crowd for filming and taking pictures on their phones.

"I think you've all been told not to take photos," he said. "And you're taking them, and you're taking them, and I don't want to get put off, and you're putting me off."

One fan was ejected for filming during the opening jam, even before Sir Paul had made his plea.

Smartphones weren't an issue when The Beatles played at the original Cavern almost 300 times between 1961-63.

Since then, Sir Paul has only played at the current Cavern once, in 1999.

On Thursday, he said returning to the venue had given him "flashbacks to the early days".

He paid tribute to late bandmates John Lennon and George Harrison, and his set included In Spite of All the Danger, written and recorded when the group were still The Quarrymen.

There were also Beatles and Wings hits like Magical Mystery Tour and Band on the Run, as well as several tracks from his forthcoming solo album Egypt Station.

If this gig and those songs are anything to go by, he's keen to show he's still full of vim, vigour and virility.

Come On To Me, with its chorus "If you come on to me, well I'll come on to you", sounds like an attempt to suggest he'd still be casually courting, if he wasn't happily married.

'He's still got it'

He told the crowd the lyrics of another new one, titled Fuh You, are "open to interpretation" - when in fact they convey even more buccaneering machismo.

"He's still got it," said one concertgoer, James Jardine, from Liverpool.

He added: "To get so close to someone who's so famous and iconic is unbelievable. You feel you could reach out and touch him."

Hundreds more weren't so lucky and had to make do with listening to a busker playing The Beatles' hits as they waited outside for a glimpse of the rock legend.

The Cavern Club concert comes weeks after he played a surprise show for about 50 fans at the city's Philharmonic pub for James Corden's TV show.

On Monday, he also performed at Abbey Road Studios - where The Beatles famously recorded - watched by stars including Kylie Minogue, Johnny Depp and Stormzy.

[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 27, 2018 01:20

Must have been a great day in Liverpool. thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Date: July 27, 2018 02:24

Nice to see John Lennon's sister as a guest, and as the young lad in line said:

"The Beatles; it's synonymous with music all around the world"

What a thrill for Liverpool. thumbs up

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 27, 2018 12:26

You can bet the mortgage that he'll be doing the European stadium / field circuit next summer...

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: July 27, 2018 14:37

By Ian Youngs from bbc :

More than six decades have passed since Sir Paul McCartney first performed at the Cavern Club, but the Beatles legend returned to roll back the years at a "secret" gig there on Thursday.

Around 250 people crammed into a sweaty Cavern to hear the 28-song set.

"Coming back here is pretty amazing for me," the 76-year-old told the crowd.

He skirted over the fact that the original Cavern was filled with rubble in 1973 and the venue for Thursday's show was a more modern live room attached to a replica Cavern that was built nearby.

Yes, the Cavern was rebuilt, but it is still on Mathew Street in Liverpool, like the origilal Club. It consist of two concert rooms, the Cavern Club Frontstage, a replica of the original Cavern where the Beatles played early on, and the Cavern Live Lounge, a second room for concerts, with better accoustics, a nice bar, a little stage.

So it is not the original stage or place, but it is fueled and filled with history; I know, I played there with my band, And stepping on this stage (where Paul played already in 1999, I think, and where many other greats have played) sends shivers down the spine...even if its the new Cavern Live Lounge...

resotele

Date: August 7, 2018 17:21

"Immensely proud to have directed a very special concert for Paul McCartney back at the historic Cavern Club in Liverpool.

So lucky and blessed to have an incredible team. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Directed by Dugdale"

[dugdaleblog.com]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 7, 2018 20:01

How close is the new Cavern to where the original was or is it built at the same spot?

Date: August 7, 2018 20:17

DrPete
How close is the new Cavern to where the original was or is it built at the same spot?
Couple doors away... original entrance still there.

Date: August 8, 2018 01:10

CBS is turning that Paul McCartney "Carpool Karaoke" episode into a Primetime Special
[www.thewrap.com]

Date: August 8, 2018 03:47

Cristiano Radtke
CBS is turning that Paul McCartney "Carpool Karaoke" episode into a Primetime Special
[www.thewrap.com]

Excellent, thanks Cristiano looking forward to it! thumbs up

Date: August 9, 2018 15:30

Paul McCartney Attends Capitol Records Event in Hollywood

The Beatle was interviewed by Marc Maron for his "WTF" podcast and talked about fame, the Stones and Charles Manson.

By Shirley Halperin

CREDIT: COURTESY OF CAPITOL MUSIC GROUP

Capitol Music Group hosted its fifth annual Capitol Congress today at Hollywood’s Arclight Theater. The day-long confab brings together employees from across Universal Music Group as well as some of the company’s top executives, chief among them: UMG chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge, who delivered introductory remarks this morning. The event has traditionally featured several top stars from the CMG roster, and this year was no different, only the bar was set even higher with an appearance by Paul McCartney.

The Beatles co-founder was presented with a special Capitol Icon Award by CMG chief Steve Barnett, who programmed the day’s sessions, performances and Q&As. McCartney was later interviewed by podcast host and “Glow” star Marc Maron, a talk that will make up an episode of his “WTF” show.

Among the topics brought up by Maron: fame, meeting fans, recording with John Lennon and the long life of the Beach Boys vs. Beatles oneupmanship as well as the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones rivalry. Of the latter, said McCartney: “We were at that Oldchella thing together. They’re great. We go back a long way and there was never really a rivalry.”

Asked about “Helter Skelter,” McCartney recalled being “suddenly singled out for being the soundtrack to a murderer. … For years I wouldn’t do that song. I felt like if I did it, it would be a victory for him. Then I thought, ‘Wait a minute, I wrote it!'”

Others in attendance throughout the day included the members of Migos, Lil Yachty, NF, MC Hammer and Troye Sivan.

In 2016, McCartney signed a worldwide recording deal with UMG that encompasses his entire catalog of master recordings, starting with the 1970 “McCartney” album. It also returned him to Capitol, the label where he started his solo career.

McCartney has a new album, “Egypt Station,” due out in the fall.

[variety.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 9, 2018 15:34

Wow, Maron must have been fanboying out of his mind...maybe not as much as when he interviewed Keith a few years ago though.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 9, 2018 15:39

We need leaks of the new tracks played at these shows !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home