Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 67
Re: OT: McCartney in Tokyo April 2017
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 27, 2017 07:57

Actually, his voice was hoarse in first half of the show.
But his voice becomes stronger as time proceeds.
He commanded a stage without water and intermission. It's one of the seven wonders of rock & roll.
Looking forward to tonight's show.

Doobie Brothers in the front row of the stage at Budokan-Tuesday 25th April, 2017.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 01:38 by Toru A.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 27, 2017 10:58

Toru A
Actually, his voice was hoarse in first half of the show.
But his voice becomes stronger as time proceeds.

Maybe this explains why he does an hour soundcheck show before the gig? Seems to me it would have an opposite effect, but I'm no singer.

Date: April 27, 2017 12:02

RollingFreak
He seems to go back and forth. Usually, I think its spot on. In fact, I went to his show around the time he did those Citi Field ones solely because I saw him on Letterman and was like "he sounds excellent, I have to see this NOW before I can't anymore". And he sounded great. Then I saw him a few years later and he was still great. Then he was on SNL maybe Christmas of that year and he sounded terrible and I thought "wow, we got in JUST in time. I guess he's losing it." Then concert videos again, he's back to what is very very good. SNL 40th Anniversary, maybe my memory is off but I think he was a bit ragged there. Now back to normal strength.

Probably just comes with the territory of the career he's had and his age now. Seems he kinda clams up or has bad luck with TV appearances but live he's still pretty dynamite. Glad to see he's back to singing well and I stopped assuming he's gonna lose it any time soon awhile ago. When he's on, which I'd say is like 80% of the time, he's still so great.

These guys don't get less colds, throat infections or wear and tear on their voices than you and me. It can be a nightmare on a tour.

Macca (and Mick) are professionals, so they will never sound completely off, though.

OT: Happy 75th Birthday to Sir Paul McCartney
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 18, 2017 01:05

I would like to wish Sir Paul McCartney a very happy 75th Birthday with good health. smileys with beer

Re: OT: Happy 75th Birthday to Sir Paul McCartney
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 03:49

And me too. And like the Stones, still rocking. I've seen him 6 times snd love his shows. I'll always prefer the Stones to the Beatles/Macca but I'm so glad we've got them both to enjoy thumbs up

Happy 75th to Sir Macca, a British national treasure smileys with beer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 04:05

Happy Birthday!! So glad I've seen him twice now, in 2012 and last year, in Vancouver. Thought 2012 would be a once in a lifetime concert but then he came back again.
Seems he's touring more now than he ever did.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 18, 2017 04:06

Happy Birthday.
A misunderstood genius, that's for sure.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 18, 2017 05:58

Blueranger
Happy Birthday.
Misunderstood? He's like the most famous musician of all time.

Date: June 18, 2017 15:57

RollingFreak
Blueranger
Happy Birthday.
Misunderstood? He's like the most famous musician of all time.

It's not the same. I'm talking about his musical skills as a composer and songwriter. He has been named everything from 'poppy' to 'schmaltzy'.
And I don't that's true.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 18, 2017 16:18

Nice to see appreciation for Paul. Absolutely great he's still making music. Happy 75th to him.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 18, 2017 16:26

I would have to say, the Wings era generated three great songs- Jet, Silly Love Songs and Band on the Run. Keep in mind this is pop music and not R&R.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 16:30

Happy belated Birthday sir Paul.
Hope you had a wonderful day with your friends and family.

Who would have thought you, Dylan and The Rolling Stones would still be thrilling audience around the world after all these years.

God Bless you & yours.

Date: June 18, 2017 17:17

Chris Fountain
I would have to say, the Wings era generated three great songs- Jet, Silly Love Songs and Band on the Run. Keep in mind this is pop music and not R&R.

Have you heard all of his 70's output?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2017 17:29

Yoko Ono?Verified account
@yokoono

Happy Birthday PaulMcCartney and congratulations! Lots of love, yoko

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 17:30 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 18, 2017 22:27

HAPPY Birthday/Fathers Day Paul, seeing you in a few weeks in Gwinnette Ga!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 18, 2017 23:02

Happy B-Day Paul! 75 and still rockin' around the world like he's, what, 35,45...long may it last although 2015 was probably the last time for me with a fabulous soundcheck+first row (had to earn that one!) package ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 18, 2017 23:10

Blueranger
Chris Fountain

Have you heard all of his 70's output?
If it's R&R he wants... [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 19, 2017 00:09

Yeah, I'm the first to crap on Paul's post Beatles output, but if you fancy a little rock and roll, he's got tons of songs that fit that:

Junior's Farm as mentioned
Soily
Helen Wheels
Too Many People
Smile Away
Venus And Mars/Rock Show
Hi Hi Hi
The Mess

He wrote some scorchers. And I know we all have our own opinions but Silly Love Songs is one of the worst songs ever written. Its like he tried to write a terrible pop song making fun of them and then it became a massive hit. Akin to KISS and I Was Made For Lovin' You.

Date: June 19, 2017 00:17

RollingFreak
Silly Love Songs is one of the worst songs ever written. Its like he tried to write a terrible pop song making fun of them and then it became a massive hit.
He wrote it in response to Lennon's criticism, saying that he thought some of Paul's songs were silly. It goes back to Lennon labeling some of Paul's Beatles songs as "granny music" like Ob-La-Di, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, etc. Actually, Paul is largely the reason the Beatles had such a wide appeal in the sixties, I mean with older generations.

Date: June 19, 2017 00:21

Another good rocking Macca tune that also has some catchy pop melody -- I guess
you could call this one "power pop": [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 19, 2017 01:04

McCartney is among the most diverse acts ever.
He has written and performed songs in so many styles during his carrer.
While there are some bad ones, it's a shame they get all the attention from the bashers, as the great material are superb in every way.

An example are his latest album 'NEW' from 2013. I would like to see who else is capeable of doing such a fresh and diverse album with strong compositions, at that age. David Bowie could. Bob Dylan can't. The Stones haven't done one yet. I hope they can.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 19, 2017 01:23

Happy birthday to my first crush. smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 19, 2017 11:18

Just announced: Paul is to become a 'Companion of Honour'.
It's one above Knighthood.
Very few people are given this status, I believe it is limited to 65 living people at any one time, drawn from the British Commonwealth.
Well done Macca.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 19, 2017 13:05

jlowe
Very few people are given this status, I believe it is limited to 65 living people at any one time, drawn from the British Commonwealth.
Well done Macca.

Indeed.

Totally surreal is that one of the others is actually one of my oldest friends, and we went together to see The Stones at Wembley in 1999! Odd how things turn out.....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 19, 2017 13:40

jlowe
Well done Macca.

Correct. Which means that someone who already has one has to die before they can hand out any new ones. Such are the quirks and intricacies of the UK Honours System.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 2, 2017 17:52

Macca's interview with NZ reporter. Nic ead.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

Date: July 2, 2017 23:49

He's so f+++ing awesome. Sometimes I just feel the need to say that. About him, about Mick. I have to watch paid programming at my work and they have one for a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame DVD collection. I watch it and it has the Stones induction, Mick singing Satisfaction there, Paul singing Let It Be at his in 99. And then I think these performances are from 20 or 30 years ago and these guys are still SO good. It just really knocks me out sometimes. Not like they need any more praise, but they are really the special ones and we're so lucky to still have them performing at such a high level.

Weird middle of the day rant but sometimes it really hits me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2017 00:26

RollingFreak
He's so f+++ing awesome. Sometimes I just feel the need to say that. About him, about Mick. I have to watch paid programming at my work and they have one for a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame DVD collection. I watch it and it has the Stones induction, Mick singing Satisfaction there, Paul singing Let It Be at his in 99. And then I think these performances are from 20 or 30 years ago and these guys are still SO good. It just really knocks me out sometimes. Not like they need any more praise, but they are really the special ones and we're so lucky to still have them performing at such a high level.

Weird middle of the day rant but sometimes it really hits me.

Yes it's good to be grateful...once in a while. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 00:31 by Hairball.

Date: July 3, 2017 02:56

dmay
Macca's interview with NZ reporter. Nic ead.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

Just read all of that. Many thanks for sharing. I agree - a nice read. For all his immense riches, I've always thought he comes across as a very grounded individual, probably because he has people around him to keep him that way. Love how his Liverpool accent remains firmly in place. I believe he still visits regularly - his brother lives nearby in the Wirral.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 3, 2017 17:54

Wonder why he does new albums and plays new songs when he thinks the Stones shouldn't bother.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home