Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 65
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 3, 2017 18:15

Ticket to ride:

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 3, 2017 18:21

GasLightStreet
Wonder why he does new albums and plays new songs when he thinks the Stones shouldn't bother.

Because he feels he still has something to say and doesn't have to quarrel with other crotchety old men to put it out.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:13

By "crotchety old men" are we referring to The Strolling Bones?

OT - Paul McCartney plays a 40 song setlist in NYC at MSG!
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 20, 2017 02:39

Unbelievable! Bruce Springsteen joins him onstage for "I Saw Her Standing There" after which McCartney was having such a good time he played it for a second time with Bruce. From the September 15, 2017 show:

Setlist:

01. A Hard Day's Night
(The Beatles song)
02. Junior's Farm
(Wings song)
03. Can't Buy Me Love
(The Beatles song)
04. Jet
(Wings song)
05. All My Loving
(The Beatles song) (tour debut)
06. Let Me Roll It
(Wings song) (Paul on electric guitar) (followed by 'Foxy Lady' jam and Jimi Hendrix story)
07. I've Got a Feeling
(The Beatles song) (Paul on electric guitar)
08. My Valentine
(Paul on piano)
09. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
(Wings song) (Paul on piano)
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
(Paul on piano)
11. I've Just Seen a Face
(The Beatles song) (Paul on acoustic guitar)
12. In Spite of All the Danger
(The Quarrymen song) (Paul on acoustic guitar)
13. You Won't See Me
14. Love Me Do
15. And I Love Her
(The Beatles song) (Paul on acoustic guitar) (with all band members playing acoustic instruments)
16.Blackbird
17. Here Today
(Paul on acoustic guitar) (dedicated to John Lennon)
18. Queenie Eye
(Paul on keyboard)
19. New
(Paul on keyboard)
20. Lady Madonna
(The Beatles song) (Paul on keyboard)
21. FourFiveSeconds
(Rihanna and Kanye West and Paul McCartney cover) (Paul on acoustic guitar)
22. Eleanor Rigby
23. I Wanna Be Your Man
(The Beatles song)
24. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
(The Beatles song)
25. Something
(The Beatles song) (Paul on ukulele and acoustic guitar) (dedicated to George Harrison)
26. A Day in the Life
(The Beatles song) (with 'Give Peace a Chance') (Plastic Ono Band) chorus singalong)
27. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
(The Beatles song)
28. Band on the Run
(Wings song)
29. Back in the U.S.S.R.
(The Beatles song)
30. Let It Be
(The Beatles song) (Paul on piano)
31. Live and Let Die
(Wings song) (Paul on piano) (with fireworks display)
32. Hey Jude

Encore:

33. Yesterday
34. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
(The Beatles song)
35. Helter Skelter
(The Beatles song)
36. I Saw Her Standing There
(The Beatles song) (with Bruce Springsteen) (also with Steven Van Zandt)
37. I Saw Her Standing There
(The Beatles song) (with Bruce Springsteen) (full song was played again)
38. Golden Slumbers
39. Carry That Weight
40. The End
(The Beatles song)

Re: OT - Paul McCartney plays a 40 song setlist in NYC at MSG!
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 20, 2017 02:46

I know he's been doing "Something" cover as a George tribute for awhile, but I'd like to hear him cover George's solo song "Blow Away" because it seems like a perfect fit for Paul.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 02:51

The Sicilian
Unbelievable! Bruce Springsteen joins him onstage for "I Saw Her Standing There" after which McCartney was having such a good time he played it for a second time with Bruce. From the September 15, 2017 show:

Setlist:

01. A Hard Day's Night
(The Beatles song)
02. Junior's Farm
(Wings song)
03. Can't Buy Me Love
(The Beatles song)
04. Jet
(Wings song)
05. All My Loving
(The Beatles song) (tour debut)
06. Let Me Roll It
(Wings song) (Paul on electric guitar) (followed by 'Foxy Lady' jam and Jimi Hendrix story)
07. I've Got a Feeling
08. My Valentine
(Paul on piano)
(Wings song) (Paul on piano)
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
(Paul on piano)
12. In Spite of All the Danger
(The Quarrymen song) (Paul on acoustic guitar)
13. You Won't See Me
14. Love Me Do
15. And I Love Her
(The Beatles song) (Paul on acoustic guitar) (with all band members playing acoustic instruments)
16.Blackbird
17. Here Today
(Paul on acoustic guitar) (dedicated to John Lennon)
18. Queenie Eye
(Paul on keyboard)
19. New
(Paul on keyboard)
20. Lady Madonna
21. FourFiveSeconds
(Rihanna and Kanye West and Paul McCartney cover) (Paul on acoustic guitar)
22. Eleanor Rigby
23. I Wanna Be Your Man
(The Beatles song)
(The Beatles song)
25. Something
(The Beatles song) (Paul on ukulele and acoustic guitar) (dedicated to George Harrison)
26. A Day in the Life
(The Beatles song) (with 'Give Peace a Chance') (Plastic Ono Band) chorus singalong)
27. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
(The Beatles song)
28. Band on the Run
(Wings song)
29. Back in the U.S.S.R.
(The Beatles song)
30. Let It Be
31. Live and Let Die
(Wings song) (Paul on piano) (with fireworks display)
32. Hey Jude

Encore:

33. Yesterday
(The Beatles song)
35. Helter Skelter
(The Beatles song)
36. I Saw Her Standing There
(The Beatles song) (with Bruce Springsteen) (full song was played again)
38. Golden Slumbers
39. Carry That Weight
40. The End
(The Beatles song)

What, no "Silly Love Songs"? That's some bullshit right there.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 20, 2017 03:00

He tells the same stories all the time

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2017 04:02

Marathon setlist, but having seen him a few times in the last five years (Desert Trip being the most recent) I could only last for about a third of it. Love Paul (especially with the Beatles), but there's only so much one can take!

But let's see...40 songs vs. 20 from another great and currently touring band...the man knows how to put on a show and keep his fans happy!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 20, 2017 05:54

Sorry, its just easier for me to read it this way.

Setlist:

01. A Hard Day's Night
02. Junior's Farm
03. Can't Buy Me Love
04. Jet
05. All My Loving (tour debut)
06. Let Me Roll It (followed by 'Foxy Lady' jam and Jimi Hendrix story)
07. I've Got a Feeling
08. My Valentine
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
12. In Spite of All the Danger(The Quarrymen song)
13. You Won't See Me
14. Love Me Do
15. And I Love Her
16.Blackbird
17. Here Today (dedicated to John Lennon)
18. Queenie Eye
19. New
20. Lady Madonna
21. FourFiveSeconds
22. Eleanor Rigby
23. I Wanna Be Your Man
25. Something (dedicated to George Harrison)
26. A Day in the Life (with 'Give Peace a Chance')
27. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
28. Band on the Run
29. Back in the U.S.S.R.
30. Let It Be
31. Live and Let Die
32. Hey Jude

Encore:

33. Yesterday
35. Helter Skelter
36. I Saw Her Standing There (with Bruce Springsteen) (also with Steven Van Zandt)
37. I Saw Her Standing There (with Bruce Springsteen) (full song was played again)
38. Golden Slumbers
39. Carry That Weight
40. The End

But yeah, the dude's a @#$%& beast. I don't know what else you can say. Its not a comparison to the Stones, just that this guy is still out there giving it his complete all and the marathon length makes it even more impressive. Like seriously, we won't see the likes of him again. If you've never seen him you need to go NOW. Its one of the greatest shows ever and the only chance to get close to a Beatles experience. With a kick ass band. Seriously, its an awesome setlist even if it is the exact same every night. He does switch it a bit tour to tour.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:00

I wonder what a 40 song Stones setlist would look like, I just can't imagine it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:16

Hairball
Marathon setlist, but having seen him a few times in the last five years (Desert Trip being the most recent) I could only last for about a third of it. Love Paul (especially with the Beatles), but there's only so much one can take!

But let's see...40 songs vs. 20 from another great and currently touring band...the man knows how to put on a show and keep his fans happy!
What about it wore you out?

I almost saw him in 2014, but I had to travel for work and had to eat the cost of my ticket. SO pissed.

Obviously it's stupid to put off seeing him given that he's 75...maybe next year, as he'll almost certainly come round the States once again.

Hmm, he's playing Brooklyn Thursday night and Long Island twice next week...very tempting but I can't take much more time off work than I already have.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:26

Now there's someone I could go see and listen to them play their greatest hits. Mostly because I've never seen McCartney, or any Beatle live. Face it, some of us liked the Stones so much we saw them every chance we had. Now the Stones are playing Greatest Hits and a lot of us have lost interest, knowing we at least heard those same hits from a much better version of the band.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:46

Maybe he gets his stamina from those early Hamburg club days with the Beatles, like the 48 nights they played (in a row!) over a contracted 2-month residency in 1960:

"They were expected to perform for four and a half hours each weekday night, from 8-9.30pm, 10-11pm, 11.30pm-12.30am and 1-2am.

"They also had to play for six hours on Saturdays, from 7-8.30pm, 9-10pm, 10.30-11.30pm, 12-1am, and 1.30-3am. Sunday hours were 5-6pm, 6.30-7.30pm, 8-9pm, 9.30-10.30pm, 11-12 midnight and 12.30-1.30am."

Full details: [www.beatlesbible.com]

The Beatles in 1960, Indra Club, Hamburg.

Date: September 20, 2017 06:48

Weren't those Hamburg gigs fueled by insane amounts of amphetamines?

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:08

I love Paul’s music and I’m really happy he’s still touring, he continually puts on incredible shows (even if his voice has become more hit-and-miss since about ‘13).

But it’s not a completely fair comparison with the Stones. His 38 song sets routinely run 2:45, which is still a LONG gig, but if they were Stones songs, it would have to be 4 hours. Similarly, Paul is *one* 60s rocker touring with 4 full time dependable, clean, focused session musicians. If the Stones show didn’t have to keep 4 70+ yr olds upright for the duration, it might be longer/take more chances too.

I love what Paul’s doing, and while the Stones rallied well in ‘12-‘14, this year hasn’t been good so far. But it’s particularly down to ability - the circumstances these days make it FAR more likely he’ll put on a great gig than the Stones will.

Date: September 20, 2017 07:46

keefriff99
Hairball

What about it wore you out?

I almost saw him in 2014, but I had to travel for work and had to eat the cost of my ticket. SO pissed.

Obviously it's stupid to put off seeing him given that he's 75...maybe next year, as he'll almost certainly come round the States once again.

Hmm, he's playing Brooklyn Thursday night and Long Island twice next week...very tempting but I can't take much more time off work than I already have.

Long story short (or maybe short story long winking smiley ).

My wife and I saw him for the first time at the MGM in Vegas about 10 years ago. While it was great be in the presence of a Beatle , the entire show was a bit sterile - similar to when I saw the Eagles around the same time.

Fast forward to about five years ago - went to see him at Dodger stadium and it was 100 times better. Might have been the outdoor setting with the massive crowd, but there was something about the show that was much more exciting.

Fast forward to last year at Desert Trip I. Marathon setlist, Neil Young joined him for a tune, and it was all pretty great - except for the fact that it was nearly identical to Dodger stadium - setlist and all (Neil Young guesting being the main difference).

Leap ahead a week to Desert Trip II. Having just seen some of the best Neil Young shows I've ever attended at Pomona Theater twice between weekends and then his amazing show that night at Desert Trip (not to mention a great Stones and Dylan show the night before and the entire Desert Trip weekend 1), I didn't have much enthusiasm left to endure another marathon McCartney show. After several tunes, I left early knowing it was going to be the exact same show. As I'm not a diehard McCartney fan (though I love the Beatles), really didn't miss much except for Neil joining him again. I still had the final day of The Who and Roger Waters to tend with, and after getting a good nights rest, I was as fresh as a daisy for the grand finale of the two weekends.

Bottom line, if you are a Beatles or McCartney fan in any way, you have to see him at least once, and maybe once will be enough!!! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 07:51 by Hairball.

Date: September 20, 2017 08:09

tommycharles
I love Paul’s music and I’m really happy he’s still touring, he continually puts on incredible shows (even if his voice has become more hit-and-miss since about ‘13).

But it’s not a completely fair comparison with the Stones. His 38 song sets routinely run 2:45, which is still a LONG gig, but if they were Stones songs, it would have to be 4 hours. Similarly, Paul is *one* 60s rocker touring with 4 full time dependable, clean, focused session musicians. If the Stones show didn’t have to keep 4 70+ yr olds upright for the duration, it might be longer/take more chances too.

I love what Paul’s doing, and while the Stones rallied well in ‘12-‘14, this year hasn’t been good so far. But it’s particularly down to ability - the circumstances these days make it FAR more likely he’ll put on a great gig than the Stones will.

Valid points.

Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs. That's pretty much a McCartney show - many people enjoy it (and it is a bit enjoyable), but it's all a bit sterile due to his backing band/studio musicians. Highly skilled indeed, but maybe too much so...you'll never hear a mistake or any form of improvization.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 20, 2017 08:39

Hairball
Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs.

Although they are certainly younger than he is, McCartney's band members are hardly "young whippersnappers" - guitarist/bassist Brian Ray is 62...guitarist Rusty Anderson is 58...and keyboardist Paul "Wix" Wickens is 61. Only drummer Abe Laboriel could be considered "whippersnapper-ish" at 46. No doubt their relative youth makes a difference (compared to the Stones), but a lot of folks tend to think Paul has a bunch of twenty- or thirty-somethings playing with him.

I've seen Paul four times over the years (1989, twice in 2002 and 2005)...each show was different and fantastic. I've missed him the past few times around due to venue preference (I don't attend stadium shows anymore), but I would certainly see him every time if he played indoors. For me, as a big Beatles guy, it's never sterile and never gets old.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2017 08:56

black n blue
He tells the same stories all the time

what?! he does 40 songs AND tells stories too?!

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 20, 2017 08:56

Jah Paul
Hairball
Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs.

Although they are certainly younger than he is, McCartney's band members are hardly "young whippersnappers" - guitarist/bassist Brian Ray is 62...guitarist Rusty Anderson is 58...and keyboardist Paul "Wix" Wickens is 61. Only drummer Abe Laboriel could be considered "whippersnapper-ish" at 46. No doubt their relative youth makes a difference (compared to the Stones), but a lot of folks tend to think Paul has a bunch of twenty- or thirty-somethings playing with him.

Well said, and I certainly wasn’t trying to imply Paul’s band were all in their 30s. What they are though, fundamentally, is employees. It’s much easier for Paul to look good when that’s the raison d’etre of the other 4 people on stage smiling smiley That said, they make a fantastic noise together, and I’m grateful for the times I’ve been able to see it.

Date: September 20, 2017 08:58

Jah Paul
Hairball

I've seen Paul four times over the years (1989, twice in 2002 and 2005)...each show was different and fantastic. I've missed him the past few times around due to venue preference (I don't attend stadium shows anymore), but I would certainly see him every time if he played indoors. For me, as a big Beatles guy, it's never sterile and never gets old.

Dang those two guitar players look pretty good for their age!!!
I thought they were in their late 40's/early 50's at most!!!

If you haven't seen him live since 2005, not sure how you can fully form an opinion on his shows of today, but your opinion is respected nevertheless.

Not directed at you Jah Paul, but I've noticed alot of Paul McCartney fans can be just as rabid and overly fanatical as some of the overzealous diehard Stones fans. They're highly protective of him, and will defend him to the end from any criticism directed his way - no matter how big or small the criticism. Hardcore Springstein fans can be the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 09:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 20, 2017 10:06

That's pretty cool about Springsteen. I've seen McCartney maybe 20-30 times since 1990. He puts on a great show. Unfortunately, his voice is very weak, much like Keith's guitar, but still worth attending if you can. Paul's show has more of a "nostalgic" feel to it than the Stones' show, and the audience tends to be older, with fewer young couples and groups of younger fans, in the audience. There are more families and more groups of older women, giving the shows a warm atmosphere.

I'm taking the wife to Auckland to see McCartney in December. On the other hand, if I had a younger, hotter girlfriend, I'd take her to see the Stones (or Guns n' Roses, who now play 3 hour 20 minute sets)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 10:08 by drbryant.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 20, 2017 10:59

Hairball
Valid points.

Imagine if Mick were to hire a bunch of young whippersnapper studio musicians and tour the world playing his solo material and a bunch of Stones songs. That's pretty much a McCartney show - many people enjoy it (and it is a bit enjoyable), but it's all a bit sterile due to his backing band/studio musicians. Highly skilled indeed, but maybe too much so...you'll never hear a mistake or any form of improvization.

We got a glimpse of that on SNL [youtu.be] and it was amazing !

As for Macca, he's a legend yes and puts on an amazing show even if his voice can be weak at times (you won't notice when you're in the thick of it, it's like the setlist whining here) if you've never seen you GOTTA GO !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 10:59 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 20, 2017 11:05

The Sicilian
I wonder what a 40 song Stones setlist would look like, I just can't imagine it.

Nobody wants that!

Date: September 20, 2017 11:17

gotdablouse
Hairball
Valid points.

We got a glimpse of that on SNL [youtu.be] and it was amazing !

As for Macca, he's a legend yes and puts on an amazing show even if his voice can be weak at times (you won't notice when you're in the thick of it, it's like the setlist whining here) if you've never seen you GOTTA GO !

Paul's voice is weak these days, but some shows are better than others. He started off OK at Desert Trip I, but by the half way point there were some obvious strains and weakening which was very noticeable as his voice started cracking. I specifically remember Maybe I'm Amazed at both the Dodger stadium show and at Desert Trip, and it was a real strain for him to sing. Not an easy song to sing , but when you have a weak voice to begin with, must be difficult on him.

As for that Jagger/Foo Fighters clip from SNL...meh...that version of IORR sounds really bad imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 11:18 by Hairball.

Date: September 20, 2017 14:18

<36. I Saw Her Standing There
(The Beatles song) (with Bruce Springsteen) (full song was played again)>

He played the song twice - both times with guests? I didn't get that..

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 20, 2017 14:49

TooTough
The Sicilian

Nobody wants that!

Well, maybe over 2 nights!

Date: September 20, 2017 15:31

Hairball
Jah Paul
Hairball

If you haven't seen him live since 2005, not sure how you can fully form an opinion on his shows of today, but your opinion is respected nevertheless.

Not directed at you Jah Paul, but I've noticed alot of Paul McCartney fans can be just as rabid and overly fanatical as some of the overzealous diehard Stones fans. They're highly protective of him, and will defend him to the end from any criticism directed his way - no matter how big or small the criticism. Hardcore Springstein fans can be the same.
SpringSTEIN?? Didn't know Bruce was Jewish winking smiley

I wonder if Paul's band are all vegetarians as well...he seems very militant when it comes to that aspect of his life. Wouldn't surprise me if he surrounds himself with people who have similar lifestyles.

Date: September 20, 2017 15:35

keefriff99
Hairball
Jah Paul
Hairball

SpringSTEIN?? Didn't know Bruce was Jewish winking smiley

I wonder if Paul's band are all vegetarians as well...he seems very militant when it comes to that aspect of his life. Wouldn't surprise me if he surrounds himself with people who have similar lifestyles.

When I played in the US for he first time, in NYC, we played the very same club where Bruce made his NYC-debut. The poster was still on the wall: Bruce Springstein smiling smiley

I think it's still there. Kenny's Castaways on Bleecker Street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 15:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 20, 2017 15:41

I think a lot of people have made that mistake over the years, especially considering Bruce is from New Jersey, and the tri-state area has a large Jewish population.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 6295 on November 30, 2021 14:09

Previous page Next page First page IORR home