Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Johnny Rotten says some nice things about Mick
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 14, 2013 20:44

I enjoyed his appearance on Judge Judy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2013 23:05

Mr Rotten about the Stones: "I saw them five minutes in a hotel in Bristol, you know. I didn't like what I was seeing. They looked just silly. But good luck to them, they are not my enemy...".

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 15, 2013 02:14

Public Image Limited - Live At Glastonbury Festival 2013, Full Concert

Date: August 15, 2013 02:22

Johnny Rotten's Tour of London

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9OlQD7bCw0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-15 02:23 by seitan.

Date: August 15, 2013 03:30

Sometimes I get the notion that both Lydon and The Stones have overstayed their time. Their creative and relevant periods are in fact over. They really have nothing more to add. They are like the perpetual student at University who never leaves although he graduated decades ago (or should have...)...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 15, 2013 03:41

Does that mean that Tony Bennett should retire also? Or any other singer, artist, performer, or band that keeps performing even though they're no longer leading the weekly hit parade?

These people have their place in history, and any performer who still has the ability to perform has a right to do so for those who are willing to pay to see them.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: August 15, 2013 03:46

seitan

That was damn good. The guitar player is brilliant.

Date: August 15, 2013 03:51

Sure, I get your point, stonehearted. However I think there is a distinction between jazz and pop and rock. Jazz is more timeless than pop and rock in a way.
Most jazz musicians gets better with age - even crooners like Bennet (although his voice is awfully thin these days).

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 15, 2013 10:23

Mick must feel much better now with this latest endorsement. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 16, 2013 03:06

Love the posts here. Either praise or distain. Nothing in between. LOL. I'm sure that's how John would like it.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 16, 2013 05:32

I only watched a few tunes from that Glastonbury clip -- not super familiar with PIL but I enjoyed what I saw. I will say this -- Mr. Lydon, and his bandmates, are definitely not phoning it in.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: August 16, 2013 08:39

I can't find any posts for Rotten Radio as mentioned above...maybe someone else can post the link to it?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 16, 2013 08:52

stonehearted
Does that mean that Tony Bennett should retire also? Or any other singer, artist, performer, or band that keeps performing even though they're no longer leading the weekly hit parade?

These people have their place in history, and any performer who still has the ability to perform has a right to do so for those who are willing to pay to see them.

Right on... and so true, so very very true.

Date: August 16, 2013 09:10

TippyToe
seitan

I agree. Plus he looks like Arthur Brown from the Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

And that guitar he was playing--it looks like an elongated electrified mandolin. Was that a 3-stringed instrument?

That second song into their set was great. Was that one of their newer ones? Anyone know the title?

Thanks for posting that clip by the way.

Date: August 16, 2013 19:38

stonehearted
TippyToe
seitan

I agree. Plus he looks like Arthur Brown from the Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

And that guitar he was playing--it looks like an elongated electrified mandolin. Was that a 3-stringed instrument?

That second song into their set was great. Was that one of their newer ones? Anyone know the title?

Thanks for posting that clip by the way.

You're welcome. The guitarist is Lu Edmonds ( ex-The Damned, ex- The Mekons guitarist) and the second song into their set was "Reggie's Song (Shine)"
and here's the studio version for your enjoyment:

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 16, 2013 21:08

too much alcohol, too much money,

certainly not a punk anymore

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

Date: August 16, 2013 21:15

corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

From your post one can think that in order to play punk - you would have to be sober and poor. I dont agree - I have no probleam with late Johnny Thunders being punk or Iggy Pop having money. Funnily - Lydon has said several times that Public Image Limited is not a punk rock band.

Date: August 16, 2013 21:39

i am not talking about PIL.
i am talking about the sex pistols....
His whole attitude is wrong.
i have met him a few times. and i know,.

he is in it for the money. does not matter,Jagger is also...

but the real punks at the time were not

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 21:41 by corriecas.

Date: August 16, 2013 21:43

seitan
corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

From your post one can think that in order to play punk - you would have to be sober and poor. I dont agree - I have no probleam with late Johnny Thunders being punk or Iggy Pop having money. Funnily - Lydon has said several times that Public Image Limited is not a punk rock band.

Yhunders and POP were no Punks.
i am talking about British music legacy..

There were some good punk bands, Stiff little fingers, undertones, Clash.

Not the imitation clowns like thunders and pop.
Jeroen

Date: August 16, 2013 21:55

corriecas
seitan
corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

Jeroen

imitation clowns like thunders and pop - hahah - now I get it, youre funny, funny jokes indeed, right. Yeah, kidding - that's what I thought you were doing. Otherwise you'd be an idiot, hahah - British music legacy..hahah, what legacy, British never had a musical legacy. All the british ever did was to copy the Americans !!! - You guys been copying black people all your life, take Led Zeppelin - hahah - the greatest cover band ever - at best, if they were lucky. All their songs were stolen from other artists. Or the The Clash for that matter, hah - they were never a punk band ever - they were pop band rockin the cashbah, boyband invented by Bernie Rhoades. Hahah - Pistols were a poor mans Stooges. Stiff little Fingers were stiff indeed, they sucked. The best thing you ever had was The Slits - and even that was a german woman imitating Jamaican rastas.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 22:44 by seitan.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 16, 2013 22:42

seitan
corriecas
seitan
corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

Jeroen

imitation clowns like thunders and pop - hahah - now I get it, youre funny, funny jokes indeed, right. Yeah, kidding - that's what I thought you were doing. Otherwise you'd be an idiot. British music legacy..hahah, what legacy, you never ha d a legacy. All the british ever id was to copy the Americans !!! Like Led Zeppelin - greatest cover band ever, all their songs are stolen from black artists. The Clash were not a punk band - they were pop band.

I won't go into listing British bands who had a quintessential sound and theme, but seitan you need to remember that those old 'American' blues guys were in fact descended from Africa and it was the African rhythms which were the roots of the American blues (not overlooking the ingrediant of suffering through being slaves in America) or that it was the British that set up the slave trade in the begining!

Date: August 16, 2013 22:47

crumbling_mice
seitan
corriecas
seitan
corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

Jeroen

imitation clowns like thunders and pop - hahah - now I get it, youre funny, funny jokes indeed, right. Yeah, kidding - that's what I thought you were doing. Otherwise you'd be an idiot. British music legacy..hahah, what legacy, you never ha d a legacy. All the british ever id was to copy the Americans !!! Like Led Zeppelin - greatest cover band ever, all their songs are stolen from black artists. The Clash were not a punk band - they were pop band.

I won't go into listing British bands who had a quintessential sound and theme, but seitan you need to remember that those old 'American' blues guys were in fact descended from Africa and it was the African rhythms which were the roots of the American blues (not overlooking the ingrediant of suffering through being slaves in America) or that it was the British that set up the slave trade in the begining!

Youre right - 100 % - we should all feel shamed.
All this rock n roll nonesense - what is it ? - nothing but African tribes music.

Date: August 16, 2013 22:48

my god, how did we all get it so wrong.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 16, 2013 23:04

seitan
my god, how did we all get it so wrong.

It's not about holding guilt, that's a personal thing, it's about not forgetting that everything is inspired by something ealrier then a little of that time added in. Hence whilst Led Zeppelin did indeed cover riffs from the old bluesmen, they also added an element of old English folk, that is what made their sound unique.

Same applies to both UK and USA rock music it all went into cauldron from out which popped the likes of the Beatles, the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, ELvis etc etc

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 16, 2013 23:28

corriecas
i am not talking about PIL.
i am talking about the sex pistols....
His whole attitude is wrong.
i have met him a few times. and i know,.

he is in it for the money. does not matter,Jagger is also...

but the real punks at the time were not

Jeroen
don't kid yourself...they all want money

Date: August 17, 2013 00:46

corriecas

@#$%& hypocrite

jeroen

More of that "straight edge" nonsense.

You probably think he should be a vegan too.

Date: August 17, 2013 00:58

There are no punks anymore. Besides the music punk was just a fashion style in the late 70s. Lydon has kept some punk attitude though which always makes him interesting to interview.
And he has kept his working class roots. He will never be a social climber like Sir Michael.

Date: August 17, 2013 00:59

Check this out !!!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 17, 2013 01:21

Stoneage
Sure, I get your point, stonehearted. However I think there is a distinction between jazz and pop and rock. Jazz is more timeless than pop and rock in a way.
Most jazz musicians gets better with age - even crooners like Bennet (although his voice is awfully thin these days).
Why is jazz more timeless?

Date: August 17, 2013 01:45

jazzbass
Stoneage
Why is jazz more timeless?

Maybe because it's an art form not so dependant on fashion, looks and trends anymore. Your skill and style is what makes you stand out from others. Not whether you have the right look or appeal to the right market.
Music is number one, the rest is pretty much irrelevant. Great jazz players tend to keep their style but still constantly evolve till they no longer are able to play.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home