Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2015?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2014 12:44

"Da Doo Ron Ron" was also included on "Hard Up Heroes" a Decca UK compilation released in 1974. [www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2014 13:07

DandelionPowderman

It's a compilation worth having thumbs up

Indeed, even though I never have had it (and now it's too late...). It would have been a gem back in the day when I tried to collect every Stones track officially released...

I just love the German preciseness:

"This box contains four albums with fifty different recordings from 1963 to 1970. On these four discs of this carefully edited box-set you'll find all those recordings of The Rolling Stones that did not appear on the twelve Decca albums which were originally issued in Germany; Singles (A and B-sides), rarity items, and some titles which appear here for the very first time on an album. You will also find recording information, dates and places, where and when the songs were issued for the first time." (Wolfgang Michels)

Makes me wonder about the absence of their early singe A-sides - "Not Fade Away", "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "It's All Over Now" were released in AROUND AND AROUND, which I suppose is one of those "twelve Decca albums originally issued in Germany". But what about "Come On"? It can't be from BIG HITS, since there are already many other tracks from that album in THE REST OF THE BEST.

- Doxa

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2014 13:21

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Indeed, even though I never have had it (and now it's too late...). It would have been a gem back in the day when I tried to collect every Stones track officially released...

I just love the German preciseness:

"This box contains four albums with fifty different recordings from 1963 to 1970. On these four discs of this carefully edited box-set you'll find all those recordings of The Rolling Stones that did not appear on the twelve Decca albums which were originally issued in Germany; Singles (A and B-sides), rarity items, and some titles which appear here for the very first time on an album. You will also find recording information, dates and places, where and when the songs were issued for the first time." (Wolfgang Michels)

Makes me wonder about the absence of their early singe A-sides - "Not Fade Away", "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "It's All Over Now" were released in AROUND AND AROUND, which I suppose is one of those "twelve Decca albums originally issued in Germany". But what about "Come On"? It can't be from BIG HITS, since there are already many other tracks from that album in THE REST OF THE BEST.

- Doxa

"The Rest Of The Best" was sub-titled "The Rolling Stones Story - Part 2".

Part 1 was a 12 LP box set released in 1980.

[www.discogs.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 13:35 by Deltics.

Date: December 19, 2014 13:42

Thanks, Deltics! And there actually is "Come On" in PART 2 - so that was my mistake. And for a while I was questioning German preciseness...grinning smiley

So the thing is that having STORY I & 2 in 1983 one had every officially released Rolling Stones track from Decca era (plus two/three unreleased ones and two Jagger solo songs). For me back then it was much much harder...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 13:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 19, 2014 13:46

DandelionPowderman

Since they didn't have access to the masters for the unreleased before tracks, I personnaly don't really see the interest of this compilation.

Date: December 19, 2014 14:00

Now to think of that, if I have had this REST OF THE BEST, and since I got AROUND AND AROUND and all the UK versions of Decca albums, I shouldn't have needed to purchase many albums just for the sake of a couple of songs. Those include, at least, FLOWERS, DECEMBER'S CHILDREN, both BIG HITS collections, NO STONE UNTURNED, COLLECTOR'S ONLY, STONE AGE, 12 x 5, NOW!.... Well, in that case, my vinyl collection would have been much poorer...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 19, 2014 14:06

Doxa
Now to think of that, if I have had this REST OF THE BEST, and since I got AROUND AND AROUND and all the UK versions of Decca albums, I shouldn't have needed to purchase many albums just for the sake of a couple of songs. Those include, at least, FLOWERS, DECEMBER'S CHILDREN, both BIG HITS collections, NO STONE UNTURNED, COLLECTOR'S ONLY, STONE AGE, 12 x 5, NOW!.... Well, in that case, my vinyl collection would have been much poorer...grinning smiley

- Doxa

You'll need GRRR Deluxe to get the Camden 1964 show as well grinning smiley

PS: The fact that I'm even considering buying it, says an awful lot about my judgement when it comes to these guys....

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 19, 2014 14:56

you mean the "SUPER DELUXE"
http://www.rollingstones.com/grrr/

Date: December 19, 2014 15:00

Yep, Super Deluxe smiling smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 19, 2014 16:06

This is very cool news, guys! Sticky Fingers (remastered?), Bonustracks-CD, Marquee-DVD and -CD ... GREAT!!!

I guess, just our japan friends (wardrecords) will get a super-duper-deluxe-set with some additional shirts, buttons and the complete Leeds-gig on CD!cool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2014 16:42

Restored would be more like it, to Bob Ludwig's remaster.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2015 19:09

It was just announced Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti deluxe is being released 2/27 which is just under 6 weeks. 2/27 is also the date of the original releases in 1975. Based on this hopefully we'll see a confirmed April 2015 SF deluxe statement toward the middle to end of February.

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in December?
Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: January 8, 2015 19:20

stonehearted
Insofar as "new" releases go, it appears that the way past is the way forward.

At least we know that Mick Taylor will still be working with them on the "new" album.

Who knows, there might be another Plundered My Soul in the works.

If they're going to do any new stuff or overdubs, they should record them at Mussel Shoals.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 8, 2015 21:44

I actually think they should not release a deluxe version with extra songs or do any new producing and mixing.

This trend needs limits. Like, do you want to see a new improved Mona Lisa on a wider canvas with more of the countryside in the background?

Just let Sticky Fingers' greatness stand on its own. Tell the bean counters to go to hell.

Date: January 8, 2015 22:32

I say gouge away!!

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in December?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2015 23:26

1969Fan
Mussel Shoals

What a great name for a new indie band! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 9, 2015 00:15

Maindefender
It was just announced Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti deluxe is being released 2/27 which is just under 6 weeks. 2/27 is also the date of the original releases in 1975. Based on this hopefully we'll see a confirmed April 2015 SF deluxe statement toward the middle to end of February.
F*ck them. What a shitty companion disc. Each one gets worse and worse. The fact that they really aren't putting out a 1976 show is criminal.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 9, 2015 01:47

MileHigh
Like, do you want to see a new improved Mona Lisa on a wider canvas with more of the countryside in the background?

Actually yes, but I would prefer to buy it separately, without having to buy the original Mona Lisa remastered with stronger colors again.

Date: January 9, 2015 02:05

LieB
MileHigh
Like, do you want to see a new improved Mona Lisa on a wider canvas with more of the countryside in the background?

Actually yes, but I would prefer to buy it separately, without having to buy the original Mona Lisa remastered with stronger colors again.

thumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 9, 2015 02:17

MileHigh
I actually think they should not release a deluxe version with extra songs or do any new producing and mixing.

This trend needs limits. Like, do you want to see a new improved Mona Lisa on a wider canvas with more of the countryside in the background?

Just let Sticky Fingers' greatness stand on its own. Tell the bean counters to go to hell.

That crooked grin on Mona always annoyed me. Would love to see her smile normally. smiling smiley

We only have an idea of what might or might not be released, should they decide to do this. So I'm not going to complain about the bean guys just yet. And I sure wouldn't mind cleaned up versions of some of the alternate, etc. stuff. And maybe a DVD. And a book. And vinyl. And a watch.

Date: January 9, 2015 02:20

RollingFreak
Maindefender
F*ck them. What a shitty companion disc. Each one gets worse and worse. The fact that they really aren't putting out a 1976 show is criminal.

I was just pointing out a possible timeline for the statement on the SF release....lol

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:49

I'd love the idea of an extra disc of songs from the SF era, but do we really need another reissue of the album itself? It's getting to the point that if they don't release on a true upgrade format like BluRay or DVD Audio, what's the point? I have the Virgin Sticky Fingers and its fine. The reissued, supposedly improved Exile was pointless (except for the bonus track). I actually prefer the Virgin edition.

And is the Marquee Show all that great? It seems rather lackluster. This could be an example of just cherry picking a few of the 'new' SF songs from I-Tunes.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:57

Yes, I agree 24FPS. I think they need to release the mono version with a blueray, or 24bit remaster. Along with a live show on DVD (not Marquee, but one from the Farewell tour) and unaltered alternate mixes and outtakes. This could be really good if they put some thought into it. Again I urge them to take a look at the Bowie Station to Station Super Deluxe box set. Amazing!

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 10, 2015 16:59

I have a japanase SHM-CD of "Sticky Fingers", which to my ears sounds just perfect and great, absolutely great. Whereas the "Exile"-Reissue (from 2009)/Remaster sounded so bad I threw it away (literally) after a few days.

So there's no need to remaster SF at all...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2015 17:07

bleedingman
MileHigh

That crooked grin on Mona always annoyed me. Would love to see her smile normally. smiling smiley

We only have an idea of what might or might not be released, should they decide to do this. So I'm not going to complain about the bean guys just yet. And I sure wouldn't mind cleaned up versions of some of the alternate, etc. stuff. And maybe a DVD. And a book. And vinyl. And a watch.

...and who wouldn't like to have some 'alternative mixes' of the Mona Lisa? Alternate, maybe even 'toothy' smiles, more revealing clothing, alternate backgrounds?

Sounds like a great box set!

Date: January 10, 2015 17:14

A good remaster of SF is Ludwig's Virgin Records remaster. It's either that or the original vinyl release. What Stephen Marcussen did ruined their albums. I only got SOME GIRLS because of the stupidness of making one buy the album to get the second disc. I listened to SOME GIRLS. I had to remove it - it sounded absolutely horrible - and put the Virgin back on.

The EXILE bonus disc, although mastered way too loud, is at least only that. No way in hell was I buying a Marcussen remastered EXILE.

If they don't include THE original tongue with this one, if it happens, then an injustice will have happened.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 10, 2015 18:53

treaclefingers
bleedingman
MileHigh

...and who wouldn't like to have some 'alternative mixes' of the Mona Lisa? Alternate, maybe even 'toothy' smiles, more revealing clothing, alternate backgrounds?

Sounds like a great box set!

I like this version:

Date: January 10, 2015 20:00

What do they do when they "remaster" an album? I realize that there is something like a 16-track analog original master tape for the source material. Then in the old days I assume that they set mixer gains and possibly added equalization and compression/expansion and effects to the the 16 tracks to create the final release of the two-track stereo master.

So do they start remixing by playing with the original 16 tracks and doing the same thing all over but in the digital domain? Doing slight tweaks on gain or even processing the original tracks?

In my opinion the only thing that counts is the released stereo master tape that was used to make the original vinyl record. If you want to sample that at 192 kHz / 24-bit stereo and release that in high-def audio format then fine. That would be the only valid 'reissue' in my mind.

And when you do the 192 kHz resampling of the final stereo mixdown, you do it as a 100% flat zero-processing digitization of the tape. Just a perfectly linear absolutely transparent digitization of the original source material.

Date: January 10, 2015 20:02

That's the Mona Keefa.

Date: January 10, 2015 20:15

MileHigh
What do they do when they "remaster" an album? I realize that there is something like a 16-track analog original master tape for the source material. Then in the old days I assume that they set mixer gains and possibly added equalization and compression/expansion and effects to the the 16 tracks to create the final release of the two-track stereo master.

So do they start remixing by playing with the original 16 tracks and doing the same thing all over but in the digital domain? Doing slight tweaks on gain or even processing the original tracks?

In my opinion the only thing that counts is the released stereo master tape that was used to make the original vinyl record. If you want to sample that at 192 kHz / 24-bit stereo and release that in high-def audio format then fine. That would be the only valid 'reissue' in my mind.

And when you do the 192 kHz resampling of the final stereo mixdown, you do it as a 100% flat zero-processing digitization of the tape. Just a perfectly linear absolutely transparent digitization of the original source material.

Mulit-track masters are not used for remastering, which somehow often gets called remixing. Multi-track masters are only used to make a master, which is when the album is mixed. The mix master tape is what is used to master - and remaster - the album. None of that involves remixing. Remastering is just a lesser take on mastering, which involves compression, some EQ tweaking, limiting and removal or adding of high and low end and, most importantly in the end, the "volume" that the album is at. And maybe a few other things.

There is good remastering (Bob Ludwig) and bad remastering (Stephen Marcussen). There is good mastering (Bob Ludwig did the original master of TATTOO YOU) and bad mastering (Stephen Marcussen again!).

Recently remastered albums that were remixed - the master multi-track tapes were used to make new mixes - were Pearl Jam's TEN and Nirvana's IN UTERO.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home