Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Had it with you (Dirty Work)
Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: August 3, 2013 00:09

Ok, I go first. I think this is a good song. I know that Dirty Work hasn't very good fame. It's a bad album, in fact. But I like this one. Not a masterpiece, but, like the Rolling Stones once said, "It's only rock 'n roll". It has rythmn and harmonica, feeling and joy. Dirty - as the name of the album said - rock and roll.

Re: Had it with you (Dirty Work)
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 3, 2013 00:20

Great one

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 3, 2013 00:48

Yeah. One of the great ones.
Worth getting the album for.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 3, 2013 00:58

I always liked that track.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 3, 2013 01:10

I´m surprised to read some positive reactions. As far as I remember most people on this board don`t like it.
To me it`s a little gem. A perfect raw Stones Blues/Boogie , a smack in the face.
I remember interviews that they tried it with and without a bassplayer and decided to do without cause the sound would have been to "full". And that`s an unusual but right decision. It works great without a bass.
I know that Dirty Work didn`t stand the test of time. But at the time of it`s release it got good reviews and was mentioned of it`s raw live production compared to all the other clean drumcomputer studio-productions of the mid 80s.

You think the Stones are a clean pop band? Play Had It With You . This is raw meat. Everything else is Pop.

Tom

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 3, 2013 01:13

Agreed - very cool tune. I like the title track too.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 3, 2013 02:56

I had it with that song after hearing it once. Repeated listenings have not changed my opinion.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 3, 2013 05:53

Jagger's screaming can grind your ears after a while, but this song is still absolutely fantastic. Love the sound mix and always thought this would be a fantastic b-stage song!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2013 10:26

Love it - always have, always will, and I've always said
there's really only 1.5 er misunderstandings on that album
(well and the nearly unrelieved screaming) so ... sold!

I do have a recurring nightmare where they open and close a show with this one:
Stripped down, just the four Stones, smash in the face and good night to the critics section

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 3, 2013 14:34

I think it's great too but the missing bass was a mistake IMO. Bill would have really added something to this or even Ronnie. Mix is ok.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: August 3, 2013 15:55

To me this is the only song on the album that stood out. A stripped down little three chord rocker, which they do better than anybody.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 3, 2013 16:13

I recently re-discovered this song too. If it was on Tattoo You or Some Girls it would have become a minor classic among hardcore fans. But in 1986, not so much.

BY THE WAY, GO BACK AND LISTEN TO THE SONG DIRTY WORK AGAIN. I THINK IT HAS AGED VERY WELL.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 3, 2013 16:59

Always thought One Hit would be a great opener.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 3, 2013 17:15

It has some potential, but it sounds boring without Bill on bass.
Jagger's voice is poor.
And I always turn it off when that stupid break comes in at ca. 1.40.

Date: August 3, 2013 17:39

It's just hip to diss DW. The album has several good songs.

HIWY is one of them.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 3, 2013 18:01

I believe this is an early version:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-03 18:06 by bleedingman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 3, 2013 19:53

Yeah "Mustard" is a masterpiece! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: August 3, 2013 20:30

Berry88
Ok, I go first. I think this is a good song. I know that Dirty Work hasn't very good fame. It's a bad album, in fact. But I like this one. Not a masterpiece, but, like the Rolling Stones once said, "It's only rock 'n roll". It has rythmn and harmonica, feeling and joy. Dirty - as the name of the album said - rock and roll.

Nice one Berry88 - one of the many hidden gems throughout their albums drinking smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 3, 2013 21:59

crappy album but much better than Undercover. - Undercover is the worst rock album in history of popular music, - dirty work album was just ..mediocre.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 3, 2013 23:08

Lilywhite's production blows

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 3, 2013 23:12

Imo DW and UC are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. From the demos/outtakes available to us thru bootlegs we can say UT started in a very sh!tty way : song ideas were scarce and poor the working versions are 100% boring (try listen to PBUp I) but the band managed to turn manure into a final product (=the album) that's listenable.

For DW it was the opposite : lots of songs ideas, demos that are enjoyable (the UT demos are horrible) but (imo again) the more they worked on the album the less interesting the music got. It's as if the musical instinct Mick & Keef always had got killed and replaced by a musical vendetta between the Twins.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: August 3, 2013 23:57

I like several songs on DW. This one is among them, as well as the title track, Too rude, One hit and Fight. Oh, and Sleep tonight, of course.

Date: August 4, 2013 00:01

Why is Chainsaw Rocker horrible???

Posted by: Miranda ()
Date: August 4, 2013 11:30

I love the whole album!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 4, 2013 18:57

Definitely the only Stones album that I don't like much -- and I always thought Had It With You was a pretty lame bluesy attempt. I'll take One Hit, Too Rude and Harlem Shuffle ... and trash the rest.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: August 4, 2013 19:29

smileys with beer
dcba
Imo DW and UC are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. From the demos/outtakes available to us thru bootlegs we can say UT started in a very sh!tty way : song ideas were scarce and poor the working versions are 100% boring (try listen to PBUp I) but the band managed to turn manure into a final product (=the album) that's listenable.

For DW it was the opposite : lots of songs ideas, demos that are enjoyable (the UT demos are horrible) but (imo again) the more they worked on the album the less interesting the music got. It's as if the musical instinct Mick & Keef always had got killed and replaced by a musical vendetta between the Twins.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 4, 2013 20:18

Best song on the album.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 4, 2013 21:13

dirtywork is a crap album and had it with you is a crap song.

undercover is underrated and is a decent album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2013 04:16

The only reason this is remotely interesting is because it sits next to a bunch of other much worse turd.

This is not a good song...it's just not the worst song on the album.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: August 5, 2013 05:39

I love Sleep Tonight (cool drums from Ronnie) and Harlem Shuffle which is the best cover they have done. Pity they have not put it in they´re set list since 1990.
I have to disagree that Undercover is bad album i think it is indeed a very good album and to me it sounds like an fresh beginning of the 80´s and different from the 78-81 threesome, not that those three are bad but there is something risky and groovie dark mood on it i like. I love the title song and is a unique song in my opinion nothing like it before or after. One thing is special with Undercover, that is no ballad or slow song on it.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home