Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT BIG COUNTRY-BBC SESSIONS CD
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 22, 2013 17:03

Hullo...

Just got a 2cd set from Big Country at the library.

a great Scottish band from the eighties. They once performed for the stones at nijmegen, in 1995. if i remember correctly.

Good band, guitar sound and orientated. their frontman died in 2001.
I remember when they were a support band for the Stones, i was near the stage and cheered them along.
The singer was happy there was at least one fan !!!

This cd brings back great and emotional times.

Thanks for the music.

Jeroen

Re: OT BIG COUNTRY-BBC SESSIONS CD
Posted by: WoodsterHolland ()
Date: August 22, 2013 18:21

Hi Jeroen

In Nijmegen 1995 Robert Cray opened for The Stones, Big Country was in Den Haag, Malieveld 1998.

Rgds, Kees

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 22, 2013 18:38

Big Country was (or still is) a great band. As I'm daft aboot Scotland I've always loved their bagpipe sounded guitars.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 19:00

I liked a few of their things in the 80s. They seemed to come out of nowhere with a different guitar sound, and some passion. But the songs, as a whole, just never took off for me. But great guitar, Mark Brzecki (sp?) on drums and Tony Butler on bass were talented.

They are touring now, without their late lead singer, Stuart Adamson, without Tony Butler (who left a few months ago after some management disagreements), with the lead guitarist's son along as a second guitar....and with Mike Peters (of The Alarm) filling in on vocals. The tour is not an oldies thing, they are actually supporting a new record and playing much of it.

I can handle a few songs, but just can't get inspired to get thru an hour of their music. But hey, they represent Scotland, and that alone gets the kudos from me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 22, 2013 19:07

Hullo!

I thought for a while that Big Country created the guitarsound that U2 use, but I don't know....I like their debutalbum a lot...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 22, 2013 20:38

WoodsterHolland
Hi Jeroen

In Nijmegen 1995 Robert Cray opened for The Stones, Big Country was in Den Haag, Malieveld 1998.

Rgds, Kees

Sorry, must have been the Rain at Mailieveld,
Doeg
jeroen

Date: August 22, 2013 20:40

Come On
Hullo!

I thought for a while that Big Country created the guitarsound that U2 use, but I don't know....I like their debutalbum a lot...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hi,
No No, they are friends with U2., or were.
but U2, is a band some years, 1980 ahead of them.

Jeroen.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2013 20:46

Pete Townshend used the rhythm section of Mark Brzezicki and Tony Butler on his 1982 solo album All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 22, 2013 21:12

Mark Brzezicki and Tony Butler also played on "Empty Glass", "White City" and Roger Daltrey's 'Under A Raging Moon".

New Big Country album is called "The Journey". As mentioned above, band is now fronted by Mike Peters, with Derek Forbes (Simple Minds) on bass, Bruce Watson and son Jamie on quitars, and Brzezicki on drums.

[www.bigcountry.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home