Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Glastonbury was great but...
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:14

fahthree
I think our definition of "spontaneous" differs. Before continuing I'm not complaining or whining -- a common assertion nowadays if someone dares to say anything even slightly negative -- I'm simply saying there was nothing spontaneous about it. Sure, Mick had issues to deal with but that's not spontaneity, it's professionalism. He didn't deviate from the setlist -- something that would be spontaneous.

Spontaneous is something developing or occurring without apparent external influence, force, cause, or treatment Glastonbury doesn't fit the definition. Great show, no doubt, but why we insist on making something bigger than it is is beyond me.

Amazing you have to qualify what you say by making a big point to say you are NOT COMPLAINING OR WHINING. God Forbid.

All you said is that you have a different defrinition of "spontaneous" -- your definition coincides with what is in the English dictionary. But because Glastonburywas such a great show, people have to apply every possible positive adjective they can think of.

There was nothing spontneopus about it. It was a band that is hot, in shape, feeding off a crowd that was primed for a great event. It was one of those shows, it seems, where everything coincided to make a great landmark show. The cute parody of their own song and a run through of 2000ly which I have heard them do a dozen times is not what made it great.

But, as you note, if you don't get all carried away and say everything about the event was the best whatever of all time, then you are a whiner.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:16

bv
flacnvinyl
fahthree
It's always possible to have a positive outlook when you were in the pit every night of the tour, find yourself in a rehearsal or at the Echoplex. It pays to know people and I would be sitting on cloud nine too.

Exactly.

Envy is man's biggest poison. So sad.

I can't speak for flacnvinyl but I feel no envy towards you whatsoever so feel free to step down off your pedestal that you deem to be worthy of evny.

Here's exactly what I think -- I think you do a great job on the site and will give you credit for that endeavor. However, I don't put any stock in your criticism of fans who are labelled "complainers" because your view is jaded due to your relationship with the band. If the roles were reversed I can't say that I wouldn't be the same but I would like to think that some element of objectivity would stay with me or perhaps I would just refrain from chiming in on some of these discussions. Frankly I find some of your posts disingenuous.

I remember finding this site when I was in college and really digging it. In many ways, I still do because what we get here is passion from fans. If they're "whining" it's because they care. Unfortunately, we also now get our fair share of propaganda. Like everything in life, you have to take the good with the bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 20:26 by fahthree.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:30

What the heck is wrong with people who come into another person's house and start talking garbage directly to them?

At some point this NO CHARGE (AND AD FREE) site could go away, get closed down, or maybe mkae posting comments no longer possible. That would certainly stop the BS talk directed at bv. I wonder if some (esp short timer) people here are trying to make that happen even sooner.

I would guess people might back off a bit and not directly insult the person who gives this site away for free, while spending many many of his personal hours "dealing" with the many many issues that come with running a web site.... not to mention operating web sites IS NOT FREE, it cost money. Why not show some appreciation for that by NOT posting direct insults at the man who does that?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 21:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: July 5, 2013 21:12

Glastonbury was quite the gig,no?

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: July 5, 2013 21:23

flacnvinyl
fahthree
It's always possible to have a positive outlook when you were in the pit every night of the tour, find yourself in a rehearsal or at the Echoplex. It pays to know people and I would be sitting on cloud nine too.

Exactly.
Can't say better than that! thumbs up

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 5, 2013 21:32

bv
flacnvinyl
fahthree

Exactly.

BV I am definitely envious of the shows you have gotten to see, but not in a negative way. Seeing the Stones in a club or front row DEFINITELY changes one's view of the show. I was 2nd row at the first Beacon gig and 10th for the second one. Both were fun gigs, and you wouldn't know it on here from the reviews of Shine A Light.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 5, 2013 22:31

flacnvinyl
bv
flacnvinyl
fahthree

Exactly.

BV I am definitely envious of the shows you have gotten to see, but not in a negative way. Seeing the Stones in a club or front row DEFINITELY changes one's view of the show. I was 2nd row at the first Beacon gig and 10th for the second one. Both were fun gigs, and you wouldn't know it on here from the reviews of Shine A Light.
This argument has evolved into class warfare...If a concert is not great for those in the rafters then the concert is simply not great. Greatness is about reaching the entire audience not just those in the front. The Stones are the ultimate stadium act, those that think they have a more valid opinion based on where they were sitting or how many shows they've experienced are wrong. In fact the closer you are situated the more invalid your opinion is as everyone is in awe up close. If you are not in awe you are too jaded to have any say and should be banished to the rear for a bit. Apparently The Stones blew away a virgin audience, most of them standing in the mud as far as a 1/4 mile away. Best show of the tour, period.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 22:36 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 6, 2013 00:05

Max'sKansasCity
What the heck is wrong with people who come into another person's house and start talking garbage directly to them?

At some point this NO CHARGE (AND AD FREE) site could go away, get closed down, or maybe mkae posting comments no longer possible. That would certainly stop the BS talk directed at bv. I wonder if some (esp short timer) people here are trying to make that happen even sooner.

I would guess people might back off a bit and not directly insult the person who gives this site away for free, while spending many many of his personal hours "dealing" with the many many issues that come with running a web site.... not to mention operating web sites IS NOT FREE, it cost money. Why not show some appreciation for that by NOT posting direct insults at the man who does that?

Kind of like rug pissers.......man, that comment did tie the thread together.

Date: July 6, 2013 00:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 00:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 6, 2013 00:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 00:48 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: July 6, 2013 01:36

I love The Rolling Stones live, and have mostly seen them in North America.
I was lucky enough to see 2 shows this tour, Philadelphia and Washington DC.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, they were awesome! Youtube never catches the sound and energy as it is/was.

There is ALWAYS a Rolling Stones perfect moment in every concert. I did catch the stream of Glastonbury...they were awesome again! Satisfaction got really extra effort when every band member was into it....but I must agree with BV, The Stones have been especially good on this tour.

I am sure the emotion of Glastonbury with The Stones being English, playing to
their countrymen must have been especially exciting.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 6, 2013 02:12

Wow using the word envy and using it towards themself...There was a great baseball player Ricky Hendersen who used to always refer to himself in the 3rd person and use the word envy all the time when it came to how other baseball players felt towards him. Great player but rubbed many people the wrong way..

Envy is a resentment which "occurs when someone lacks another's quality, achievement or possession and wishes that the other lacked it." Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder are often believe others are envious of them.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 6, 2013 02:21

Understanding that IORR site is a Stone fan zone, it was well clear for me from the beginning that the large number of posts will show the excellences of the band.
Which was not well understood, and still is, why every single post with the smallest discrepancy with a general opinion, inmediately is treated as an attack and as a lose of loyalty with other members.
Being one of the people that complain about the setlists, I kindly ask to BV to open a new thread concerning the worst Stone show, we have ever attend, or the worst sogn or the worst...not always the last show is the best!!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 6, 2013 03:27

Too bad there are so many attacks on other human beings here.

Re BV's point about "envy" there's a lot of that here, too. I feel sad that BV should even have to mention that ugly word. But it's the truth, and if he is ultimately just another obsessed fan, at least he's not lazy! Nor spending his life watching video after video after video.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 6, 2013 03:42

Personally I think Stones fans that would fancy a bit more re-vamping of the setlists are the most positive.....basically those fans are saying "we know you (the Stones) can belt out T.Dice. IORR, Start me up, Miss you and Sympathy ...(well maybe not that one) to perfection but we BELIEVE and wish you could do the same with Silver Train, Winter, Slave, Let it loose, Time waits for no-one, Child of the moon, 100 years ago, Have you seen your mother baby? & Going Home"........for example..................setlist complainers believe in the Stones.................but it looks like maybe it's Love in vain.
Looks like the 'contents' will have it..............oh well, it's only rock'n'roll..............smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 04:19 by EddieByword.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 6, 2013 05:28

Some fans only choose to say positive things about the stones, and BV is one of them, I respect that, although I have a much more critical eye towards the band and in particular the Glimmer Twins.

I've never seen BV quash any criticism of the Stones in the short time that I've been on here.

For example, I started a "worst train wrecks on stage" topic about a month ago, it was a lot of fun and there was no criticsm from anyone for having a thread dedicated to the Stones screw-ups on stage.

With regard to envy:

Life is too short to get hung up on how many shows some other guy saw and from what seat, just as it's too short to spend time getting in other people's face about how great your seats are and what you paid for them. (In Oakland some guy I was sitting near was going around asking everyone how much they paid for their seat - totally uninteresting and inappropriate IMO.) Very few people do that on here, and BV is not one of them. in fact, he goes out of his way to share the experience with others.

It's a shame that the ticket pricing for this tour was so messed up, it seems to be bringing out emotions. If I had one request for BV to give feedback up the chain to whoever in the Stones organization he knows, it would not be about setlists or more Mick Taylor, it would be that the ticket pricing and screwups (Hyde Park, 85 dollar ticket communication and logistics) did significant damage to the Stones relationship with their biggest fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 05:30 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 6, 2013 16:01

BV can you just set the record straight and inform all your members your true relationship with The Stones.
An explanation would stop the innuendo about the favours u get.
Just tell us please...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 6, 2013 18:30

Eleanor Rigby
BV can you just set the record straight and inform all your members your true relationship with The Stones.
Just tell us please...

BV is a hardcore fan. Whether he has inside connections or not shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of him or anyone else. If someone on here is friends with Don Was and knows about gigs before they are announced, more power to them. BV has to work like crazy to get to the secret gigs, etc.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 6, 2013 18:39

flacnvinyl
Eleanor Rigby
Just tell us please...

BV is a hardcore fan. Whether he has inside connections or not shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of him or anyone else. If someone on here is friends with Don Was and knows about gigs before they are announced, more power to them. BV has to work like crazy to get to the secret gigs, etc.

Let Bjornulf speak for himself if he wishes to answer anyway.

Btw: what about your recordings of the Chicago shows? You promised to upload them if I remember well. Just curious if that promise still stands.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 6, 2013 18:45

Well I must say, having listened to and watched every show on the tour, Glastonbury was a step up. Each member of the band brought their best to the table and it was simply the Stones at their best. A legendary show. Can't wait to see Hyde Park.

Glastonbury was one of the Stones' all time best shows. One that will be remembered for a long time.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 6, 2013 18:46

best show ever

Date: July 7, 2013 12:49

flacnvinyl
Eleanor Rigby
Just tell us please...

As kleermaker says, we will wait for bv to answer.
His silence is deafenning on this subject..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:41

sanQ
Well I must say, having listened to and watched every show on the tour, Glastonbury was a step up. Each member of the band brought their best to the table and it was simply the Stones at their best. A legendary show. Can't wait to see Hyde Park.

Glastonbury was one of the Stones' all time best shows. One that will be remembered for a long time.

Exactly. After seeing yesterday's show I know how special Glastonbury was. They did take it to a different level there.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:52

Eleanor Rigby
flacnvinyl
Eleanor Rigby
Just tell us please...

I imagine you to be a nosy neighbour.
Wanting to know what everyone is doing.
Sad. sad smiley

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:14

BV deserves being at a rehearsel, and being in the pit, after so many hard works for the site and fanmagazines. I am one of the first members of IORR, but hardly post a message. But I can't stand it , when someone who dedicates his whole life for the Stones, and gives you free information and beautiful pics, even if that's his own choice,is being treated as a blinded-by-love fan.

Maybe he isn't, and only makes a review when he has a special emotion after a concert, as he says. What's wrong with that ?

Date: July 7, 2013 15:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 15:27 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: July 7, 2013 15:24

crawdaddy
Eleanor Rigby
flacnvinyl
Eleanor Rigby
Just tell us please...

I imagine you to be a nosy neighbour.
Wanting to know what everyone is doing.
Sad. sad smiley

To be honest, I dont give a shit..my point is for bv to let everyone know his perks so that the innuendo would stop.
Maybe you should read my posts...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 7, 2013 15:46

The issue of what, how and why BV gets to shows shouldn't even be discussed. What he does with his life is his business. He runs IORR for free for us and shares information when he can. Good luck to him. Of course we would all love to be at as many shows as possible and near the front etc etc, but envy is a negative way of looking at it. Just be glad that we know someone who can do these things and can report back to us. Give the guy a break!

Date: July 7, 2013 16:27

crumbling_mice
The issue of what, how and why BV gets to shows shouldn't even be discussed. What he does with his life is his business. He runs IORR for free for us and shares information when he can. Good luck to him. Of course we would all love to be at as many shows as possible and near the front etc etc, but envy is a negative way of looking at it. Just be glad that we know someone who can do these things and can report back to us. Give the guy a break!

You can sure say that again.

A little more appreciation and thanks (instead of stupid questions, accusations and jealousy) is more in line with what bv deserves. I wish people would stop pissing on the camp fire and making simple things (rock and roll) not so fun.

It is work to run this place, Try saying thanks sometime as opposed to bitching, whining and asking dumb questions and being jealous of things everyone can do if they wanted to and put in the effort.

If/when people want things revealed, then they will be revealed.

bv, I know you know that many many many MORE people appreciate your efforts than the 5-6 big mouths who nag at/about you. Please dont let these 5-6 people ruin the party for all of us... all of us accross the Earth. You know how many people come here, and many dont post at all. Your work and efforts and stories and pictures and updates are appreciated by people far and wide. Thank you, and thank you again (a thousand times) from people who dont say it.

And to people who get too worried about what/how/when...
ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL! Maybe try to stop thinking about it so hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 16:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:05

As a vocal critic of BV I don't think he should answer that question. It's not our business.

My point has always been this -- when you are in the pit every night, regardless of how you get there, your perception of a show will always be different. They could play Dirty Work in its entirety and if you're 10 feet from them it will be amazing. You won't complain about the setlist. But, you shouldn't take shots at people who are labeled whiners or complainers. Your view is jaded. Frankly, those fans are just passionate.

Then when he inserts envy into the conversation he ends up looking like a jackass. Who the f is he to think he is worthy of envy? That's an exaggerated sense of self-worth. The Stones are cool, we get that, and while going to all the shows is awesome it's not worthy of envy. What's sad is someone would actually think it is...

Finally, an audience doesn't need to know every song to enjoy a concert -- a popular assertion.

By the way, I do appreciate what BV does as far as the site goes. I've said that countless times but I don't feel the need to bow down and join the personality cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 17:24 by fahthree.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home