Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Glastonbury was great but...
Date: July 4, 2013 11:40

Agree, Thrylan. Although in 1978, when they stopped and started it again, it worked fantastically.

But they need to play it well. On the BB-tour, it didn't always work that well. On SAL, for instance. As the opener on Glasto, it was perfect thumbs up

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 4, 2013 11:43

Wow, if you were in New Zealand you'd be grateful for the updates, and to see the songs live you may appreciate this time of your life more, instead of portraying yourself as moaners! I'm with BV, and i am so very grateful the band I have enjoyed since (68) are still playing!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2013 11:44

I disagree. They upped the ante at Glastonbury by bringing in 2 absolutely brilliant songs that captured the essence of the event - the psychedelic 2000 Light Years From Home and the humorous Glastonbury Girl re-write.

That for me showed that they cared more for this particular concert than others on the American leg of the tour. Let's hope they can repeat this feat at Hyde Park. It is afterall their home town.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 11:46

DandelionPowderman
Agree, Thrylan. Although in 1978, when they stopped and started it again, it worked fantastically.

But they need to play it well. On the BB-tour, it didn't always work that well. On SAL, for instance. As the opener on Glasto, it was perfect thumbs up

Nothing is a guarantee....smiling smiley It is a nuance thing, JJF is a constant punch in the face, doesn't lend itself to long solos. I feel it says as much in 4 minutes as 8. SFM however is similar, but do to its Webb and flow, simmers builds, simmers, CRESCENDOS!!! Is IMO a great encore song, and not a strong opener......but one hell of a lot stronger than GOMC! LOL

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2013 12:00

Mathijs

I have seen the 02, and not any US shows, so I can only compare the 02 with recordings of the US shows. What I hear is that the US shows are similar to the 02 shows, and I thought these shows are second class Stones shows.

Mathijs

I do not agree on this statement. I have talked to numerous fans and friends in America during the 2013 tour, many say they saw the best show since 1972. They are very good, in fact great on this tour, that is my point. Simply that. Nothing else.

Bjornulf

Date: July 4, 2013 12:21

I hope the other HALF of America can find out for themselves....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 4, 2013 12:52

I can't comment on the US shows as I didn't see them and I wouldn't judge on YouTube videos, but the Glasto set was something else in comparison to many of their other shows I've seen on previous tours. I was with a group of 28 people who were not particuarly big Stones fans but all were blown away by the performance. I do think they put something extra into the show purely because of the pressure of being at Glastonbury and having a huge mixed audience.

The inclusion of Glasto Girl was inspirational on Jagger's part and people were talking about the song afterwards and how it meant a lot that he did that just for the show. I don't think the Stones have ever adapted a song specifically for a show beofre and that says something about what it meant to them to be playing there.

I'd agree that the playing was the best I've heard from them since 1978 and I'm sure that has been the same at the US dates. I'm sure it will go down as one of the best Glastonbury performances ever and I was very proud to witness it.

It was a shame I didn't get to meet Silver Dagger, although we exchanged a few texts before the show and realised we were on opposite sides of the field...my phone died shortly after - sorry Mike!

It will be interesting to see what they pull out for Hyde park.

Date: July 4, 2013 13:51

crumbling_mice
I can't comment on the US shows as I didn't see them and I wouldn't judge on YouTube videos, but the Glasto set was something else in comparison to many of their other shows I've seen on previous tours. I was with a group of 28 people who were not particuarly big Stones fans but all were blown away by the performance. I do think they put something extra into the show purely because of the pressure of being at Glastonbury and having a huge mixed audience.

The inclusion of Glasto Girl was inspirational on Jagger's part and people were talking about the song afterwards and how it meant a lot that he did that just for the show. I don't think the Stones have ever adapted a song specifically for a show beofre and that says something about what it meant to them to be playing there.

I'd agree that the playing was the best I've heard from them since 1978 and I'm sure that has been the same at the US dates. I'm sure it will go down as one of the best Glastonbury performances ever and I was very proud to witness it.

It was a shame I didn't get to meet Silver Dagger, although we exchanged a few texts before the show and realised we were on opposite sides of the field...my phone died shortly after - sorry Mike!

It will be interesting to see what they pull out for Hyde park.

Yes, shame we didn't meet up but the crush, even 1 hour before they came on was becoming unbearable. So ,many people pushing and shoving. But it was a magical show that I rate in my top 5 Stones gigs of all time - and I've seen 34 shows and every UK tour since 73. The Stones are on fire and even though I loved them in 76 it is probably the best tour since 73 for me.

Date: July 4, 2013 14:27

It must have been awesome being there, Mike! Happy for you, mate thumbs up

Date: July 4, 2013 14:52

DandelionPowderman
It must have been awesome being there, Mike! Happy for you, mate thumbs up

Thanks Dandy. Hope to meet up at Hyde Park but still don't have a ticket. I'm optimistic that they will be on sale on outside and perhaps for cheaper than face price.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 4, 2013 15:03

bv
Mathijs

I have seen the 02, and not any US shows, so I can only compare the 02 with recordings of the US shows. What I hear is that the US shows are similar to the 02 shows, and I thought these shows are second class Stones shows.

Mathijs

I do not agree on this statement. I have talked to numerous fans and friends in America during the 2013 tour, many say they saw the best show since 1972. They are very good, in fact great on this tour, that is my point. Simply that. Nothing else.

BV I'm in the camp that the Stones are playing as well as '78. This whole 50th starting last Fall has been incredible for them and for us as fans. Everyone is on top of their game!!

I'm as big a Stones fan as any one on this board, but I can't touch your reverence. How you did what you just did in America was amazing. I saw them in Boston June 12 and I knew what I was getting and it was great. But I LOVE the element of surprise to go along with an incredible performance. The only disappointment were the closing songs in that it was etched in stone. Still beautifully played. Maybe it's the Deadhead in me from to many shows haha. Going forward I personally would like a variation not only for the first half of a Stones show but also the second. History dictates that may never happen.

You can't compare Glastonbury with the 2013 America tour from a setlist standpoint IMO. Just that little tweak is all I need to get me smiling even broader. JJF opener, come on that's different and changes the whole warhorse dynamic. Variety is the spice as they say

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 4, 2013 15:33

One thing that really stood out for me at Glastonbury was Ronnie's playing. I've read many reviews of the US shows on IORR and people were saying how well he was playing, but I didn't expect it to be this good. He was certainly on top form and played some beautiful licks throughout the show. Even Keith's SFTD solos sounded good. Really wish I was going to Hyde Park now!

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 15:46

bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wow, to me that's the best compliment the Stones ever can get!! smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:44

bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

I also find it very difficult to understand your statement Mathijs. From the recordings to seeing them live in DC, these were quite amazing shows. I would agree, probably the best shows since 1978. In DC they were fantastic. With the loudest and strongest guitars I personally have seen at a Stones show.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:50

whitem8
bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

I also find it very difficult to understand your statement Mathijs. From the recordings to seeing them live in DC, these were quite amazing shows. I would agree, probably the best shows since 1978. In DC they were fantastic. With the loudest and strongest guitars I personally have seen at a Stones show.

I agree whitem8, I think my ears are still ringing from the DC show! As good as it was, I think Philly 2 was better. Maybe partly because I'm not fond of the acoustics at the Verizon Center, I thought the sound in the building was better at the Wells Fargo Center.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 4, 2013 18:10

Best show since 1972 ? Does it mean some of them were disappointed by, I don't know, 1981, 1998, 2003 or 2006 shows ? That they see "again" and at least very good Stones in 2013 to compare with the 1972 highlights ? smoking smiley

bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

Date: July 4, 2013 18:18

BV, with all my respect, and I am certainly here a little out of subject, but it's just a reaction after your message, have you ever been disappointed by a Stones show ?

For me, Glasto was really great, IMO more spontaneous than many US 2013 shows.

bv
Mathijs
Bollocks BV. Glastonbury might just as well be their best gig since their 1989 return, except maybe for Paradiso 95.

Mathijs

And this is based on a objective technical view the world can agree on? As seen from the TV broadcast or by actually being there?

I never said Glasto was not good. it was great. My question is why suddenly the set list is so great, when it is still the core set list, same as in America give or take some 3 songs.

To those who start talking about me as a person: Please do not drag this discussion into some sort of personal attack on me as a person. I have the right to say my opintion without people question my personal life, economy, choices or opinion. Please stick to the subject if you want to be taken seriously.

I do have three children. When the third was born I might of course have dropped the two older ones as favorites and started to outline the youngest as the most perfect one. Because of some rules of success. But how about those others. When they give me equally happiness, then it would be my right to appreciate them all, with all the charactetistics they do have, right?

Did everyone in America see a 2nd class Stones show? I don't think so. Sure Glastonbury was great, even greater than Philly 2, but I have seen many shows, also this year, I think it is unfair to say that one show is qualifying, while the others are crap, like some have said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 18:21 by Powerage.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 4, 2013 18:19

whitem8
bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

They were better than 89 this time around except for the quality of solos. I can see guitar solo focused fans being less happy with this year; for me I found it better overall than 89. I was disappointed by the crowd however whereas the Glasto crowd seems to have been amazing.

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: July 4, 2013 21:59

bv
Mathijs

Mathijs

I think you're right about your friends, because before this tour the last shows they saw were in 1972, nothing between these 2 dates. Seriously, you don't agree when it is not your opinion or from your friends. Sometimes things are good or bad but for some people, everything about the stones is INEVITABLY GOOD. It is beceause we love the stones and their music than sometimes we have negative opinions. In french we say, QUI AIME BIEN, CHATIE BIEN!

Date: July 4, 2013 22:52

Powerage
BV, with all my respect, and I am certainly here a little out of subject, but it's just a reaction after your message, have you ever been disappointed by a Stones show ?

If I do not have special emotions after a show then I don't write about it. Just count the number of reviews I have written over the past few years, very few as compared to the total number of shows. I did write about Glasto, and a couple of so more, but they have done performances by now. I just do not buy the fact that only one out of 28 are any good.

Bjornulf

Date: July 5, 2013 12:50

Thans BV, I understand. Wondering in fact if you have ever written a "bad" review (= you were disppointed by a show).

Have a good Hyde Park show. thumbs up

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 5, 2013 13:18

Powerage

You have to explain this statement. How was it more spontaneous? A parody of their own song and the inclusion of 2000 Light Years From Home made it spontaneous? There's nothing spontaneous about a Rolling Stones show anymore.

Date: July 5, 2013 13:32

fahthree
Powerage

You have to explain this statement. How was it more spontaneous? A parody of their own song and the inclusion of 2000 Light Years From Home made it spontaneous? There's nothing spontaneous about a Rolling Stones show anymore.

They HAD to be more spontaneous at Glasto. The crowd, mainly consisting of non-Stones fans + lots of technical problems that shook Jagger, and took him out of his usual routines.

Even the warhorses sounded different - new stuff kept popping up all the time.

I'm not saying those things couldn't have happened on the US-tour, because I wasn't there, but judging from the YouTube-clips, the tour was great, albeit a bit more professional-sounding.

The Glasto-gig was indeed different than the show I catched in London (which was great, btw). Mainly because they had to work harder.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 5, 2013 14:32

I think our definition of "spontaneous" differs. Before continuing I'm not complaining or whining -- a common assertion nowadays if someone dares to say anything even slightly negative -- I'm simply saying there was nothing spontaneous about it. Sure, Mick had issues to deal with but that's not spontaneity, it's professionalism. He didn't deviate from the setlist -- something that would be spontaneous.

Spontaneous is something developing or occurring without apparent external influence, force, cause, or treatment Glastonbury doesn't fit the definition. Great show, no doubt, but why we insist on making something bigger than it is is beyond me.

Date: July 5, 2013 15:30

Powerage
Thans BV, I understand. Wondering in fact if you have ever written a "bad" review (= you were disppointed by a show).

Have a good Hyde Park show. thumbs up

No. If I feel a show is bad - for me - then it does not make any ense for me to write about it. Because I am sure it felt great for others. Like one show in Toronto, the crowd simply did not give Mick any feedback, I could feel the show was going down, but the show got plenty of great reviews from others. It is all in your mind. If you start analyzing shows from some sort of a formula then you can twist anything into good or bad. Then Toronto has been great on all other tours, so I don't know why that particular show went bad as seen from my point of view. May be it was me...

As I have said many times, Glasto was great, one of the best, but not the only one!

Bjornulf

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 5, 2013 16:04

fahthree
It's always possible to have a positive outlook when you were in the pit every night of the tour, find yourself in a rehearsal or at the Echoplex. It pays to know people and I would be sitting on cloud nine too.

Exactly.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 5, 2013 16:05

Maybe the best post/advice ever.

I never have understood why some posters here need to go on and on about things they seem so unhappy about, after others have posted that that they loved it and are delighted. Why would anyone feel compelled to tell the people happy with a show, album or something "No, you are wrong, it sucked!". Do these negative nancys imagine they will change something will all their negative posts?

And now for the predicted reply
"If everyone only said good things, it would be boring",
maybe, for you, but not as boring those who ONLY say negative things.

and of course I am referring to bv's post, not the jealousy based one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 16:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 5, 2013 19:28

DandelionPowderman
It is NOT an extension of the 2005-2007. Too many things are different - for instance the sound, the set list, better playing, the vibe around the arena tour etc.

I agree with you on everything aside from the setlist. The playing is what has made this leg of their twilight tour a success. Keith focusing on playing instead of showboating. Ronnie is still too low in the mix but is playing great. Charlie is doing great and Mick is focusing on SINGING!! Seriously, Jagger is singing more on stuff like Get Off My Cloud than I ever heard on ABB.

Just think about what Shine A Light would have been like if it were filmed on this tour, and without the models down front. Ha!

The complainers, which I probably fit to a T, are simply upset at the HORRENDOUSLY OFFENSIVE TICKET PRICES, and the setlist. The song selection is what it is. I am happy to have heard things on this tour that I have never heard before (Six Days On The Road, CYHMK/MR with Taylor, Emotional Rescue..) but as a fan who has heard the hotrocks a billion times across a billion bootlegs, I am extremely biased.

It is important to be self aware!!!

My wife, a casual fan, enjoyed the entire show each time (Chicago 28 & 31). TONS of fans enjoyed both shows. I didn't hear a single gripe from anyone about song selection. Plenty about ticket prices, but not about song selection. Thats it!

Date: July 5, 2013 19:40

So......Glasto was great because the energy, and because of the abundance of NON-Stones fans, they had to shake things up. Hmmmm. I agree in part, but I thought the less of a fan you were, the more you wanted to hear warhorses. This show seems to prove quite the opposite of the Jagger maxim.

Date: July 5, 2013 19:49

flacnvinyl
fahthree
It's always possible to have a positive outlook when you were in the pit every night of the tour, find yourself in a rehearsal or at the Echoplex. It pays to know people and I would be sitting on cloud nine too.

Exactly.

Envy is man's biggest poison. So sad.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home