Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: MJ: being a rock star is intellectually undemanding
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2013 17:47

ryanpow
I guess Philosphically, he's still trying.

Shouldn't he have been doing all this time? Do. Or do not. There is no try. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 30, 2013 01:23

angee
Considering too, Mick started a college career at the London School of Economics.
i don't know of anyone who knows the lyrics to the songs noted above who would consider
him less than intelligent. He is curious enough to wonder how his life might have been
different.

I'm glad he followed the path he did. cool smiley

Angee, you know better than most that intelligent and intellectual are different smiling smiley

But his lyrics were at one time fairly intellectual, and so was he - before he seems to have turned his
sharp brain to more practical, material matters.

-swiss

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: June 30, 2013 01:40

Mick put all his gifts together and became the top of his chosen career field. You can't beat that. He can still teach people either in writing songs or books or poems! smiling smiley

And btw, L'Wren is doing awesomely...Both are at a pinnacle of success!

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: June 30, 2013 02:47

He also happens to be the CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 30, 2013 03:04

Mick as a teacher? It can be gratifying and he'd be retired by now, tending his lemon trees. Oh wait, that's Keith...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2013 03:08

... Mick and the gang have always been teachin' ....Blues...Reggae...Soul...Funk..R&B

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 30, 2013 05:14

latebloomer
Rockman
....hey it's always the same ....ya read an interview with some famous doctor...or...brain-surgeon guy and they always say they wished they coulda been a famous rockstar...Then ya read interviews with rockstar guys and they always wack-on about how they wish they coulda been a scientist or eye-surgeon ....

Hey maybe it's just a case of .... Everybody wants to be somebody else .......

Well, I did want to be Laurie Partridge when I was twelve, Susan Dey did have the best hair...but, wasn't it Keith who once said, why would you want to be anyone else if you're Mick Jagger?

But, I think you're right Rockeee, even to the most famous rock star on the planet, we always want what's on the other side.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."____Oscar Wilde

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:04

Those Oscar Wilde citations usually shuts everyone up!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:01

Stoneage
Those Oscar Wilde citations usually shuts everyone up!

But that hardly applies for actors.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:49

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.....Oscar Wilde

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:07

As I said it's up to Mick.

It can be as intellectually demanding as he wants to make it. No one is stopping him.

He wrote some real good lyrics back in the day.

Doom and Gloom is pretty good too.

It's up to Mick.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:56

peoplewitheyes
here is is, from the guardian here!

Writing new music and recording can be creatively and artistically very demanding, being a rock star just as a performer is not very demanding intellectually, I think it can be demanding physically and also mentally, the life style can be stressful, I think what Jagger says is right, intellectually much more demanding jobs are for example a scientist, a scholar, en economist, a ceo of a big company, a lawyer, a politician, also a novelist is intellectually quite demanding job.

The business side of things in being a rock star can be demanding intellectually, that's one reason Jagger has been so interested in the business, it's been an intellectual challenge to him, so I think that's why it has been important to him to be able to do things other than "just being a rock star" or just being the singer for the band.

Date: June 30, 2013 11:59

Green Lady
Somewhere deep inside Mick Jagger there is still the echo of that voice telling him to Get A Proper Job...

Mick Jagger's youngest boy is seriously planning to become a history teacher, I guess his daddy is very proud of him.

Date: June 30, 2013 12:06

CindyC
BowieStone
CindyC
No one who has ever listened to Back to Zero can disagree with him.

No stupid man wrote Sympathy for the devil or Rocks off.

I 100% agree. I think Mick is VERY smart. I am saying that some of his later songs he was phoning in, not challenging himself. I think that's because it's really not that important to him the way it once was. I suppose even being a rock star gets boring if that's what you've been doing for 70% of your life.

Mick is very smart but artistically his problem seems to be that he gets bored very easily, Keith is more persistent in trying to achieve great things artistically. Mick on the other hand always likes to try new things which is also artistically a good thing sometimes, Keith likes to stay to a more traditional approach to music. This is one thing why the combination of Jagger/Richards has been so successful.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:10

ryanpow
I guess Philosphically, he's still trying.

Exactly. It all depends what you want to put into what you're doing. Luckily, and I use that word because there's a need for both kinds in rock land, he and the Stones have done both the very intellectual AND the border-line stupid. They've been around the block so to speak. The Beatles did the same. You've got both your Strawberry Fields and your Obla-Di-Obla-Da. Same with the Stones. There you have a song like Sympathy For The Devil and something like Back To Zero. The big difference between those bands is that, to me, the Stones are very much music from the heart and guts, while The Beatles is more heartfelt and warm. That, and also the fact that The Fabs were pushing limits, and the Stones were more traditional. Nothing wrong with either. I'm just pointing out that I think both bands came from the same mould, and both bands knew that a wide spectrum of artistry is more important than sticking to one kind of music. Some say the Stones are a blues band, but come on: They've gone far beyond that.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 30, 2013 20:39

Rockman
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.....Oscar Wilde

Yeah Rockman, Wilde covered all the bases.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:27

mickschix
I think that as Mick got older, say past 45, it started to embarrass him being a rock star because he is very intellectual, has a ton of interests. He does recognize all that the lifestyle has afforded him so he may feel funny complaining. Someone like Axy Rose seems too dumb to even think that he might have wanted to do something else for a career... of course, what ELSE would Axy have done with his life?? Maybe a roofer...
I'm betting Mick may be downright bored at times. ( with the touring)

Reminds me of a quote about Ozzy Osbourne - "In any other universe, he'd just be an alcoholic bricklayer".

Date: June 30, 2013 23:33

mickschix
I think that as Mick got older, say past 45, it started to embarrass him being a rock star because he is very intellectual, has a ton of interests. He does recognize all that the lifestyle has afforded him so he may feel funny complaining. Someone like Axy Rose seems too dumb to even think that he might have wanted to do something else for a career... of course, what ELSE would Axy have done with his life?? Maybe a roofer...
I'm betting Mick may be downright bored at times. ( with the touring)

I agree, and the thought isn't lost on me that YGMR and it's frequent set list
appearance is some kind of punishment Mick decided we deserve.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 06:34

"Dreamed of reaching greater heights,
I raved about it every night."

Date: July 1, 2013 06:59

Title5Take1
"Dreamed of reaching greater heights,
I raved about it every night."
thumbs up
thumbs up

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 1, 2013 19:27

Like I said on another thread, if Mick becomes a teacher, I guess I'll be signing up for some classes!!!

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:26

If he had been a college instructor, he would have been one of those types that sleeps with all his students.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:26

I recall an interview where Mick said it was always on the cards for him to become some kind of performer; an actor or a dancer if not a musician. He has also compared himself to a stripper. In another interview, he was talking about the limitations of being a rock musician, specifically time limits, but he seems to have transcended that.

There are certainly numerous possibilities for someone with his wealth and contacts if he craves some kind of outlet for his intellectual curiosity. He could write books, commission studies or investigations, set up various projects.

Or he could use his abilities and half century of experience to write powerful, meaningful lyrics and music that could possibly influence people's thinking and be a force for positive change in these troubled times.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:29

Bliss
I recall an interview where Mick said it was always on the cards for him to become some kind of performer; an actor or a dancer if not a musician. He has also compared himself to a stripper. In another interview, he was talking about the limitations of being a rock musician, specifically time limits, but he seems to have transcended that.

There are certainly numerous possibilities for someone with his wealth and contacts if he craves some kind of outlet for his intellectual curiosity. He could write books, commission studies or investigations, set up various projects.

Or he could use his abilities and half century of experience to write powerful, meaningful lyrics and music that could possibly influence people's thinking and be a force for positive change in these troubled times.

Or he could sing start me up for the 10 millionth time..... Oops

Date: July 2, 2013 10:54

Bliss
He has also compared himself to a stripper.

David Geffen said after a Stones concert that Mick "seemed like a tired old stripper." This I think was regarding the 1972 tour when Mick and Billy Preston were doing dancing that was sort of stripteasey.

(I've only seen photos of this stuff: what song is this and what the f*ck are they doing?)

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 2, 2013 10:56

Title5Take1
Bliss

David Geffen said after a Stones concert that Mick "seemed like a tired old stripper." This I think was regarding the 1972 tour when Mick and Billy Preston were doing dancing that was sort of stripteasey.

(I've only seen photos of this stuff: what song is this and what the f*ck are they doing?)

drugs.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:56

Hiring AEG to run their tour was intellectually undemanding!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 2, 2013 14:23

Green Lady
Somewhere deep inside Mick Jagger there is still the echo of that voice telling him to Get A Proper Job...

Exactly so .

It's that middle class English upbringing and it's ingrained need for respectibility.

You can take a kid out of the suburbs...

Not a criticism...just a reflection of his roots.

Date: July 2, 2013 18:42

Spud
Green Lady

Exactly so .

It's that middle class English upbringing and it's ingrained need for respectibility.

You can take a kid out of the suburbs...

Not a criticism...just a reflection of his roots.

Bruce Springsteen said he'd be filling stadiums and riding the charts, and his mother would tell him, "I think you should finish college." "But Ma..."

Which reminds me of Charles Barkley's line, "I don't have a college degree. But a lot of people who work for me do."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:20

Title5Take1
Bliss

That's the Tour Of The Americas or the 1976 tour.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home