Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: MJ: being a rock star is intellectually undemanding
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:51

And I do think he has regressed intellectually through the years. At least a bit. In the sixties he declaimed Shelley, read Bulgakov and even had some political ambitions. Where did those aspirations go?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:53

Well " you make the best of it."

I cannot think of anyone who has ever made better of it Mr Jagger.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 29, 2013 02:22

Nobody has stopped him writing journalistic or narrative material in his spare time. He's had a lot of spare time in the years between Stones' tours. He's a slacker. That's his fault and has nothing to do with his career choice. He should just do it instead of talking about it for years on end.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2013 02:44

You are talking about the guy who wrote "Let's Work", Marianna! A slacker?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 29, 2013 02:50

"being a rock star is intellectually undemanding".......but keeping up with those slippy accountants, lawyers and tour promoters?.......man, that really takes it out of you............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 02:51 by EddieByword.

Date: June 29, 2013 03:00

Must be the reason he seems like he is just going through the motions these last two tours. Maybe it's age, but he looks bored at times. Seems like his heart just isn't into it to the degree it once was, or say ten years ago. He has definitely lost some spark despite the fact that he still puts on a great show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 29, 2013 03:07

....hey it's always the same ....ya read an interview with some famous doctor...or...brain-surgeon guy and they always say they wished they coulda been a famous rockstar...Then ya read interviews with rockstar guys and they always wack-on about how they wish they coulda been a scientist or eye-surgeon ....

Hey maybe it's just a case of .... Everybody wants to be somebody else .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 29, 2013 03:16

Rockman
....hey it's always the same ....ya read an interview with some famous doctor...or...brain-surgeon guy and they always say they wished they coulda been a famous rockstar...Then ya read interviews with rockstar guys and they always wack-on about how they wish they coulda been a scientist or eye-surgeon ....

Well, I did want to be Laurie Partridge when I was twelve, Susan Dey did have the best hair...but, wasn't it Keith who once said, why would you want to be anyone else if you're Mick Jagger?

But, I think you're right Rockeee, even to the most famous rock star on the planet, we always want what's on the other side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 03:21 by latebloomer.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 29, 2013 03:30

Rockman

The most famous case in pont in the UK at least, Tony Blair always wanted to be Jagger..........

Date: June 29, 2013 03:35

Well, I did want to be Laurie Partridge when I was twelve

and you ended up a sex-therapist bloomer ..... so yeah we are definitely on to something here

ROCKMAN

Date: June 29, 2013 03:40

Rockman
Well, I did want to be Laurie Partridge when I was twelve

and you ended up a sex-therapist bloomer ..... so yeah we are definitely on to something here

Me, a therapist? I don't think so, you're much better at prescriptions, I'm sure.

I'll stick with what I know...

Date: June 29, 2013 03:45

so, you're much better at prescriptions, I'm sure.

YEAH ....I can cure all your ills ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 29, 2013 03:53

Rockman

YEAH ....I can cure all your ills ...

OK Dr. Rockman, I'll keep that in mind.

Date: June 29, 2013 03:56

marianna
Nobody has stopped him writing journalistic or narrative material in his spare time. He's had a lot of spare time in the years between Stones' tours. He's a slacker. That's his fault and has nothing to do with his career choice. He should just do it instead of talking about it for years on end.

He sure is a slacker .. and a particularly obese one at that....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 29, 2013 04:04

I think that as Mick got older, say past 45, it started to embarrass him being a rock star because he is very intellectual, has a ton of interests. He does recognize all that the lifestyle has afforded him so he may feel funny complaining. Someone like Axy Rose seems too dumb to even think that he might have wanted to do something else for a career... of course, what ELSE would Axy have done with his life?? Maybe a roofer...
I'm betting Mick may be downright bored at times. ( with the touring)

Date: June 29, 2013 04:07

mickschix
I think that as Mick got older, say past 45, it started to embarrass him being a rock star because he is very intellectual, has a ton of interests. He does recognize all that the lifestyle has afforded him so he may feel funny complaining. Someone like Axy Rose seems too dumb to even think that he might have wanted to do something else for a career... of course, what ELSE would Axy have done with his life?? Maybe a roofer...
I'm betting Mick may be downright bored at times. ( with the touring)

Definitely bored and maybe even a little depressed. At least that is my read.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 29, 2013 04:35

He could have done things in the field of education that don't involve teaching, such as working with young people on a volunteer basis or founding an educational charity that other people could help run and fund. He's not even ever delivered a commencement address, that I'm aware of, anyways. He could have become more involved in political matters other than claiming a few private, undisclosed audiences with Margaret Thatcher. As a celebrity, I'm sure plenty of publications would welcome whatever he would have to write, whether or not it's particularly good. I don't get the wistful reflections/complaining, other than it's a way to make him seem more in touch with the common guy.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 29, 2013 04:39

marianna
He could have done things in the field of education that don't involve teaching, such as working with young people on a volunteer basis or founding an educational charity that other people could help run and fund. He's not even ever delivered a commencement address, that I'm aware of, anyways. He could have become more involved in political matters other than claiming a few private, undisclosed audiences with Margaret Thatcher. As a celebrity, I'm sure plenty of publications would welcome whatever he would have to write, whether or not it's particularly good. I don't get the wistful reflections/complaining, other than it's a way to make him seem more in touch with the common guy.

agreed.
sonny bono became a congressman in the USA for example, and he is no mick jagger.
townsend wrote books and edited at a publishing house
bono....
etc.

Date: June 29, 2013 04:49

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:59

stupidguy2
Mick was always interested in so many other kinds of things: he seemed to genuinely love study, history

hm...what makes you think Mick loves history? Not an impression I've ever gotten.
- swiss

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:24

What Mick says in the article is that second-guessing your direction in life--when you are already well
along into it--is different than when you're casting abot trying to figure yourself out as a teen.

He says doing so is "completely pointless but I don't feel frustrated for a lack of control at all and I'm
very pleased with what I've done.

"Everyone wants to have done more things in their lives. It is a slightly intellectually undemanding
thing to do, being a rock singer, but, you know, you make the best of it."

And the 2nd part of what he's saying is listing toward the ironic and tongue-in-cheek. We'll hear it when
it's broadcast, but I bet there's a laugh in his voice when he says it. He's just saying that he doesn't
over-estimate his impact in the world---in that he didn't cure cancer or solve world hunger, but being a
rock singer ain't a bad living.

To me, he doesn't seem depressed or bored in the least. And I don't buy the high/low aesthetic. I
overthink the Rolling Stones with the best of them, but this is taking academic intellectualism too far.
I don't want to get too into it, because I don't have time, and it would be better discussed in person,
but Mick did not invent or give ultimate shape (or counter cultural legitimacy) to the intentionally self
consciously "low" aesthetic associated with rock; the Rolling Stones didn't even; nor even Andrew Loog Oldham,
tho he may have been among the first, in a post-modern sense.

Anyway -- Mick is intellectually lazy in the way that many great business people are. He's not saying he didn't
use him brain in this life -- but it wasn't particularly intellectual. But the thing is: he doesn't care! smiling smiley

- swiss

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:45

Listening to Today, talking about the UK Papers reaction to that quote - "The person who wrote Get Off Of My Cloud and I Can't Get No Satisfaction wouldn't be a very good English teacher, and Jumpin' Jack Flash is a gas gas gas doesn't work in chemistry lessons - the children of Britain may have had a lucky escape." Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:10

A few years ago NME had all its old John Lennon interviews collected in one issue, including a dual interview with John and Ringo.

Q. "Do you feel too old to play rock and roll?"

RINGO: "At 25, I do sometimes feel too old to play rock and roll." [Lennon stayed silent].

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:16

Title5Take1
A few years ago NME had all its old John Lennon interviews collected in one issue, including a dual interview with John and Ringo.

Q. "Do you feel too old to play rock and roll?"

RINGO: "At 25, I do sometimes feel too old to play rock and roll." [Lennon stayed silent].

Hardly surprising, since rock n roll had only been around 10 years at the time, and being 15 when Lennon and Ringo first heard it they'd hardly had time yet to make very many adult--let alone middle-aged--associations with the music.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:36

Full interview on air NOW BBC Radio 4

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 29, 2013 13:54

Mick is just denying his boredom and apathy with that remark. Being a rock composer and lyricist can be exceptionally challenging, and a very powerful medium. Your message can potentially reach so many more millions of people than a literary poet's or a composer of classical music. The best rock lyricists' poetry will live on and on - Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Leonard Cohen, etc etc. As will Mick's earlier rock lyrics, eg MR, SFTD, Jigsaw Puzzle, Time Waits for No One, etc etc etc. I cannot say the same for Streets of Love however.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: June 29, 2013 14:17

marianna

Mick always said that he does not want to be a rock star who tells other people what to think. I don´t think he is complaining to be bored by his life, I am sure he looks for intellectual challenges in many fields, like educating himself. His friends say he is a very well-read and educated man, his daughter called him a history nerd (that´s something like a freak, right?). He does not have to be public about it.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 29, 2013 14:21

Mick stopped being an intellectual rock star about 1975.

He had a pretty good stab at it before then, it's down to him.

If you don't want to challenge yourself intellectually Mick that's up to you.

But you did write some intellectually engaging songs once.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 17:00

Charlie says in ACCORDING that Mick longs for #1 hits, but when they've happened Mick was the first to put them down. Mick has a contrary streak. Rock `n' roll.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 29, 2013 17:14

Considering too, Mick started a college career at the London School of Economics.
i don't know of anyone who knows the lyrics to the songs noted above who would consider
him less than intelligent. He is curious enough to wonder how his life might have been
different.

I'm glad he followed the path he did. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home