Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
44 years gone...
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:40

It is amazing to me that in the run up to what is the 44th anniversary of Brian's death that the music he helped create continues to engage, enchant and inspire those that come across it and no doubt will continue to do so forever more... I think it is for certain that this is something that would have really made him happy.

Trying to understand Brian the person is near impossible, the boy was a mess! Trying to understand Brian the musician involves pulling together the scattered parts of a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces. However, thanks to various fairly recent bootlegs, live CD's and DVD's we have come a long way towards putting those pieces together and understanding what they are showing us, but as of yet, the puzzle remains incomplete.

Brian Jones the musician is revealing himself to be quite the creative soul, with a simplistic, but imaginative use of melody, rhythm and space, a musician that was thirsty for new sounds and new approaches, ever onwards even in the more regressive musical settings.

Thank you for the inspiration Mr Jones, I look forward to finding more pieces of your musical jigsaw puzzle.

Re: 44 years gone...
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:44

Still remember how shocked I've been.Was a big fan of him.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 2, 2013 16:49

still believe he was one of the finest slide guitar players in Britain at his prime.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 2, 2013 17:40

The 1st real Stone..
With out him we really wouldn't have the Rolling Stones.
Very sad..

Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:06

He was a great musician

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:48

Largely forgotten, a mythic, cult like figure overestimated and underestimated. Added a unique edge to the Stones that he soon took away and only rarely displayed again. Extremely self destructive, wrecking other people's lives and then his own. A vexing mystery.

Date: July 2, 2013 18:58

24FPS
Largely forgotten, a mythic, cult like figure overestimated and underestimated. Added a unique edge to the Stones that he soon took away and only rarely displayed again. Extremely self destructive, wrecking other people's lives and then his own. A vexing mystery.

Indeed! grinning smiley

Date: July 2, 2013 19:01

In other words, a true legend! thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:03

- the Ally Pally All-Night Rave, June 26th 1964 by John Hopkins

Love and light to Brian, and thanks and praises

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:13

Certainly a man whose charakter combined talent and disgusting behaviour. He would have deserved to live longer, but life is everything but fair.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:16

Nothing about this sad anniversary on the official Stones website.

Date: July 2, 2013 19:19

Powerage

Things took a turn for the worse towards the end of the 2nd July, but he wasn't officially pronounced dead until the early hours of the 3rd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 19:27 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:33

I was in London on holiday with my parents back in 1969 when I heard these news. brian died! coulnt believe it. I was 16 and a rolling stone fan. saw their concert on 5th of july 2 days later. Never forget these days!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 2, 2013 21:53

The true leader of the early years without a doubt.

He got that aura and presence that no other one in the band had at the time.

and last but not least , he had the look !

HMN

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: July 2, 2013 22:32

Never forgotten.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: July 2, 2013 23:47

smileys with beer

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 3, 2013 01:18

His Majesty
Powerage

Things took a turn for the worse towards the end of the 2nd July, but he wasn't officially pronounced dead until the early hours of the 3rd.

Plus you gotta admit, 44 is nowhere near the milestone that a nice round 45 will be...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: July 3, 2013 01:38

brian will always be remembered cause the music never dies listen to any stones single or cds from 1964 to 1969 brian is there,only the good die young, brian you are still with us and missed too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 3, 2013 02:01

Thanks, Brian. It'd be nice if you got a mention from the stage on Saturday.

Date: July 3, 2013 02:20

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2013 03:34

The Vox Phantom Mark III ["Teardrop"] played by Brian Jones, where it now resides on display in the Hard Rock London Vault, located on the bottom floor of the merchandise shop in London, which is across the street from the cafe. Hard Rock International purchased the guitar from Sothebys in 1984, and was on display in New York's Hard Rock Cafe before being moved to London.

Below, resident Hard Rock historian Jeff Nolan and luthier Kip Elder talk about Brian's Vox Teardrop guitar, which is shown in the clip.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 3, 2013 03:37

Amazingly creative musician. RIP

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 3, 2013 04:25

stonehearted

The Vox Phantom Mark III ["Teardrop"] played by Brian Jones, where it now resides on display in the Hard Rock London Vault, located on the bottom floor of the merchandise shop in London, which is across the street from the cafe. Hard Rock International purchased the guitar from Sothebys in 1984, and was on display in New York's Hard Rock Cafe before being moved to London.

OK, this is interesting. I saw the Vox at the NYC Hard Rock in '98 (it was above the door - on my way out, I jumped up on a table to I could reach up and touch it. Mission accomplished, I might add...) and it definitely looked pretty beat up, with lots of chips and dings, the mirrored pick guard was scratched, and the white paint was more of a whitish-beige. It basically looked as you'd expect it to look after a couple of years on the road in the height of the hysterical '60s.

Two weeks ago I went to the HOF in Cleveland to see the big 50th exhibit. And what was there behind glass? The Vox - in much better shape than I remembered seeing 15 years ago. It practically looked new. So they either seriously cleaned up and refurbished Brian's original, or he had a couple of them, or the one in Cleveland was being passed off as the original when it really isn't.

Anybody have any insight?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 3, 2013 04:59

JuanTCB
stonehearted

OK, this is interesting. I saw the Vox at the NYC Hard Rock in '98 (it was above the door - on my way out, I jumped up on a table to I could reach up and touch it. Mission accomplished, I might add...) and it definitely looked pretty beat up, with lots of chips and dings, the mirrored pick guard was scratched, and the white paint was more of a whitish-beige. It basically looked as you'd expect it to look after a couple of years on the road in the height of the hysterical '60s.

Two weeks ago I went to the HOF in Cleveland to see the big 50th exhibit. And what was there behind glass? The Vox - in much better shape than I remembered seeing 15 years ago. It practically looked new. So they either seriously cleaned up and refurbished Brian's original, or he had a couple of them, or the one in Cleveland was being passed off as the original when it really isn't.

Anybody have any insight?

It is my bet that the guitars you see (and can actually touch) at the hard rock cafe restaurants are not vintage, collectible items.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 3, 2013 05:14

His Majesty

It is amazing to me that in the run up to what is the 44th anniversary of Brian's death that the music he helped create continues to engage, enchant and inspire those that come across it and no doubt will continue to do so forever more... I think it is for certain that this is something that would have really made him happy.

Trying to understand Brian the person is near impossible, the boy was a mess! Trying to understand Brian the musician involves pulling together the scattered parts of a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces. However, thanks to various fairly recent bootlegs, live CD's and DVD's we have come a long way towards putting those pieces together and understanding what they are showing us, but as of yet, the puzzle remains incomplete.

Brian Jones the musician is revealing himself to be quite the creative soul, with a simplistic, but imaginative use of melody, rhythm and space, a musician that was thirsty for new sounds and new approaches, ever onwards even in the more regressive musical settings.

Thank you for the inspiration Mr Jones, I look forward to finding more pieces of your musical jigsaw puzzle.

Then it is all the more suiting that this ought to be a site, where at least some passionate Stones fans, not blind for his faults, should remember and now and again will make him the honour (as you do especially). I don't know myself, but was it not said that his wonderful excursion into other instruments so sadly and paradoxially was to have as its cause one at times growing lack of confidence in his own playing of the guitar?

[I was on holiday with my parents at the time when I heard it reported on the radio in the night that he had died.]

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 3, 2013 07:34

RIP Brian, without whom the Stones never would have existed. Wouldn't hold my breath on accolades from the current band....

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 3, 2013 09:11

His Majesty

nice piece of work, majesty, always marveled at the volumes of Brian-era songs which are still heavy-hitters today. they live on and on! smileys with beer

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:47

A pity that so much is written and programmes made about the mystery of his death, and so comparatively little about Brian the musician and founder of the Stones.

Thanks, Brian.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:58

Thank you for the music, Brian!

I´ll be listening to some favourites today:

I Wanna Be Your Man
Mona
I Can´t Be Satisfied
Look What You´ve Done
Little Red Rooster
The Last Time
Under My Thumb
Paint It Black
Ruby Tuesday
We Love You
2000 Light Years From Home
No Expectations

smileys with beer

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: July 3, 2013 14:10

Gazza
Thanks, Brian. It'd be nice if you got a mention from the stage on Saturday.

I hope Mick Jagger has the wisdom and courage to say in public that Brian should be remembered by everyone in attendance at the Park.
If he does that it would restore some of the faith I thought I had lost.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home