Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58
Re: Rumoured Rolling Stones shows 2013-2014
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 7, 2013 12:35

Grison

Björnulf, thank you very much for this message. I was surprised when Mick Jagger said at Hyde Park 2: This is the final concert of THIS tour. However I felt that they may have made a short note decision for whatever reason and to release the pressure for expecations of further concerts.

What else would he have said? It WAS the final concert of that tour. No other concerts were arranged, and even if they were, it would not be within the next few months, which still would make it the final concert of a tour.

There was no programme in that comment, nor a hidden agenda, nor were his words carefully planned. We should stop hearing things that are not said, for our own peace of mind.

smiling smiley

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 7, 2013 12:50

a lot of bla blas going on here, if they´ll tour this fall/winter, the´ll sure announce it before. that´s all, and we´ll see....

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:18

For me the most telling comment, certainly made at each of the 4 gigs I saw on this tour (so far) was Micks "thanks to you, all our fans, for supporting us over the last 50 years".

It was said with real feeling - you could see it in his face at the arena shows.

Whether that is like saying "thanks, and this is the last time here, in this city" or whether it wsa heart felt thanks who knows.

The video clip from backstage at HP, and the smiles and gestures on stage, certainly didn't suggest they aren't getting-on, or didn't enjoy the gigs/adulation. Quite the opposite.

They've worked together for 5-6 months over the last year - how many 70 year olds do that??? give the band a break (literally).

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:21

Limbostone
Grison

Björnulf, thank you very much for this message. I was surprised when Mick Jagger said at Hyde Park 2: This is the final concert of THIS tour. However I felt that they may have made a short note decision for whatever reason and to release the pressure for expecations of further concerts.

What else would he have said? It WAS the final concert of that tour. No other concerts were arranged, and even if they were, it would not be within the next few months, which still would make it the final concert of a tour.

There was no programme in that comment, nor a hidden agenda, nor were his words carefully planned. We should stop hearing things that are not said, for our own peace of mind. smiling smiley
I do NOT hear and I do not put notions into the words. I was just surprised when he said it. That is all.
He also said clearly in Washington DC: Thi is the last US concert of the Tour.

All these words are in contrary to the short announcement before the 2nd Hyde Park concert shot during the afternoon. That is all.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:26

Limbostone

There was no programme in that comment, nor a hidden agenda, nor were his words carefully planned. We should stop hearing things that are not said, for our own peace of mind.

smiling smiley

HalleluJAH thumbs up

And add to that seeing things that are not there.

P.S. Not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 13:27 by Beast.

Posted by: ruchin ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:26

Keith said on the XFM interview that the European tour had been"given the go ahead", why would that change?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:28

At Glasto , Mick thanked everybody who perhaps hadn't seen the band before and said he hoped they'd come again...and I don't think he just meant to HP.

You can read what you want into lots of throwaway comments ... but you don't say come again when you're having a closing down sale ;^)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:34

This starts to get worrying. Since the source is always optimistic BV, and his tone is rather negative regarding the shows later this year, there seemingly has happened some rapid change of plans. However how beautiful it sounds that they did it for to record a new album, I guess any realism will kick that scenario out. I mean, if they really have planned to continue to tour, even already booked some places, it is not very likely that they suddenly go and think "hey, let us not do those million bucks gigs, and instead let's go to to studio, since we love it so much for being there". In the middle of tour! Anyone being in those gigs so far, seeing the reaction and atmosphere there, and anyone waiting to see them in future, will not need a stimulus like a new record to go there. They really don't need a record or any other "excuses" any longer to attract audiences or sell out shows. They are past that phase. Just announce the gigs, and that will do.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 13:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 7, 2013 13:46

Doc
I had a feeling this might be the end.

I had the same feeling on 26 August 2007 at the O2.
I had the same feeling on 31 July 2006 at the Amsterdam ArenA.
I had the same feeling on 15 September 2003 at the Wembley Arena.
I had the same feeling on 20 June 1999 in Gologne.
I had the same feeling on 12 September 1998 in Mannheim.
I had the same feeling on 19 August 1995 at the Hockenheimring.
I had the same feeling on 16 August 1990 in Gelsenkirchen.

And yes, I had the same feeling that saturday night in Hyde Park.
But since that feeling has been wrong since 1990 ... who knows smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 7, 2013 13:48

TeddyB1018
This is definitely a change from earlier plans. I'm guessing they're going to take a shot at a serious album while there's still physical product sold and people might still care. I think if they make something interesting they could attract lot of media and critical attention.

That's the most likely explanation for the change of plans, imo.

Date: August 7, 2013 13:55

Since speculation is fun, and no facts available, who knows that the scenario someone mentioned above that the band probably might be a bit exhausted now, and need some time recover and being motivated again. Especially the last three shows were rather exceptional deals also for them. In Glastonbury they seemed to give anything they ever can, and really wanted to prove themselves. Hyde Park shows were I suppose also special and rather "mentally" demanding shows for them. They are human beings, after all (and not any young lads either). Perhaps going back to "normal" arena shows, with the old routine, might not even look so attractive option now, and they need some time to recover and find a new spark. Besides, in the 2nd Hyde Park, Keith looked rather tired and somehow lost sometimes (I kept my eyes on him, and couldn't help feeling a bit uncomfortable). Since I haven't seen any other gigs in this tour, I can't compare that to the previous shows. Perhaps it was a rather normal gig for him.

Let's say that this is in my wish list the second best reason for changing the plans (the best being, of course, the sudden touch of muse forcing them to make an album). There are worser ones, I don't feel like trying even to think of.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 13:58 by Doxa.

Date: August 7, 2013 13:56

DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018
This is definitely a change from earlier plans. I'm guessing they're going to take a shot at a serious album while there's still physical product sold and people might still care. I think if they make something interesting they could attract lot of media and critical attention.

Do you really think so?

- Doxa

Date: August 7, 2013 14:05

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

Do you really think so?

- Doxa

I think so, but what do I know? grinning smiley

Date: August 7, 2013 14:17

Dandie, same here (of knowing...)grinning smiley

But I need to say TeddyB1028's point that it will be about the last time to make a "physical product", which might have still a commercial value, is a really good one. Things will be rather different in a few years time. But then again, how much Mick Jagger actually cares about that, since he seem to adapt the newest trends and everything without any nostalgic feelings. He's been through so many technological and even conceptual changes in this business. But who knows, maybe they - and him - just want to make one more record, before it is too late, and still get some nice compensation of it (even not so much as putting the same energy to gigging).

- Doxa

Date: August 7, 2013 14:32

This thread's quite funny really.

Prior to "50 and Counting" we spent the previous four years or so speculating [and broadly agreeing] that some open ended activity , with no longer term committment might be the way forward.

That's exactly what they've done... and we're all still here trying to second guess every next move winking smiley

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 7, 2013 14:44

Spud
This thread's quite funny really.

Prior to "50 and Counting" we spent the previous four years or so speculating [and broadly agreeing] that some open ended activity , with no longer term committment might be the way forward.

That's exactly what they've done... and we're all still here trying to second guess every next move winking smiley
thumbs up that sums it up smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 7, 2013 14:50

deleted

Date: August 7, 2013 14:50

True, Spud. But there were rather strong "rumours" that the tour will continue quite soon, as this thread shows, but seemingly something has happened lately, and they have changed their plans. Which, of course, makes people think what's going on.

My guess is that they just noticed that they need a bit longer vacation than they thought some time ago. But everything is still going on according to the idea of "open ended activity", and I would easily see that they might even do that under the label of "50 Years and Counting", with Grrregory, for some years now. It is more flexible tour concept than their previous ones, a bit like Dylan's "Never Ending Tour".

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 14:55 by Doxa.

Date: August 7, 2013 14:57

For the moment, I'm just satisfied that those of us who believed the band would come back stronger this time around were, on the whole, clearly vindicated by events.

Doxa
This starts to get worrying. Since the source is always optimistic BV, and his tone is rather negative regarding the shows later this year, there seemingly has happened some rapid change of plans. However how beautiful it sounds that they did it for to record a new album, I guess any realism will kick that scenario out. I mean, if they really have planned to continue to tour, even already booked some places, it is not very likely that they suddenly go and think "hey, let us not do those million bucks gigs, and instead let's go to to studio, since we love it so much for being there". In the middle of tour! Anyone being in those gigs so far, seeing the reaction and atmosphere there, and anyone waiting to see them in future, will not need a stimulus like a new record to go there. They really don't need a record or any other "excuses" any longer to attract audiences or sell out shows. They are past that phase. Just announce the gigs, and that will do.

- Doxa

We don't know Jagger's thoughts about the band's efforts, how he really felt about working with them, on and off stage, despite the fact that the audience was very enthusiastic. In the past Jagger has proven to go his own way, he is not the most nostalgic member of the group. The most important decision - doing more Stones gigs, is in his hands though.

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 14:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: August 7, 2013 15:09

svt22
Doxa

- Doxa

We don't know Jagger's thoughts about the band's efforts, how he really felt about working with them, on and off stage, despite the fact that the audience was very enthusiastic. In the past Jagger has proven to go his own way, he is not the most nostalgic member of the group. The most important decision - doing more Stones gigs, is in his hands though.

Speculation: since the 80s the Stones launched tour after tour of breaking revenue/attendance records. Enthusiastic stadium concerts - ones that as we can learn from the "Worst stones concert you have ever..." thread, were sometimes so enthusiastic and positively flammable that most of the crown didnt even notice the more that occasional times KR, RW or both didnt function.

The last tour (with the exception of the "exotic" Glastonbury and the 2 "Like in the old times" HP gigs) looked more like a typical "rock legend arena-upscale city/crowd oriented REUNION tour". It didn't feel like the previous tours. In previous tours the Copacabana/Buenos Aires pieces seemed to be common, while the "extended club show for older rich folks" type were rare. This tour, and I know I take some amount of exaggeration here, was the opposite.

The Arena tours (surely the 2 O2 ones which I've watched more carefully) have been musically great, but the general atmosphere seemed to be a bit less of what the Stones tours sounded since the late 70s. I didnt watch the 2012 concerts lately but recall one scene from either JJF or Satisfaction where MJ was doing his Shpil, waving to the crowd etc., but the front rows were clearly seen packed with middle age well dressed folks, 1 out of 4 was waving back in a way I might think as more of what we would see in YES reunion concert.

Now this might look/be great for the real fans - finally able to HEAR the music, not just the bass/drum section, but it looked as if it does not belong to the usual genuine Stones gigs. I might assume MJ noticed that. Would guess it might led him to think "well: lets get over with the spring-summer shows we already are in negotiations about and then take time to think and see". It might be that what "we" saw as the Stones at their best for many years (and not just for a night here, night there) was taking a heavy toll from them - casing all to think they must take a longer than expected R&R and then decide whats next.

Again: speculations, but what else can we do now? the Taylor&paycheck&management pool is dry too.

Date: August 7, 2013 15:32

Wroclaw
svt22
Doxa

- Doxa

Speculation: since the 80s the Stones launched tour after tour of breaking revenue/attendance records. Enthusiastic stadium concerts - ones that as we can learn from the "Worst stones concert you have ever..." thread, were sometimes so enthusiastic and positively flammable that most of the crown didnt even notice the more that occasional times KR, RW or both didnt function.

The last tour (with the exception of the "exotic" Glastonbury and the 2 "Like in the old times" HP gigs) looked more like a typical "rock legend arena-upscale city/crowd oriented REUNION tour". It didn't feel like the previous tours. In previous tours the Copacabana/Buenos Aires pieces seemed to be common, while the "extended club show for older rich folks" type were rare. This tour, and I know I take some amount of exaggeration here, was the opposite.

The Arena tours (surely the 2 O2 ones which I've watched more carefully) have been musically great, but the general atmosphere seemed to be a bit less of what the Stones tours sounded since the late 70s. I didnt watch the 2012 concerts lately but recall one scene from either JJF or Satisfaction where MJ was doing his Shpil, waving to the crowd etc., but the front rows were clearly seen packed with middle age well dressed folks, 1 out of 4 was waving back in a way I might think as more of what we would see in YES reunion concert.

Now this might look/be great for the real fans - finally able to HEAR the music, not just the bass/drum section, but it looked as if it does not belong to the usual genuine Stones gigs. I might assume MJ noticed that. Would guess it might led him to think "well: lets get over with the spring-summer shows we already are in negotiations about and then take time to think and see". It might be that what "we" saw as the Stones at their best for many years (and not just for a night here, night there) was taking a heavy toll from them - casing all to think they must take a longer than expected R&R and then decide whats next.

Again: speculations, but what else can we do now? the Taylor&paycheck&management pool is dry too.

Sure it's speculation, although certainly not impossible in my opininon. I can be anything though, maybe someone got ill / family issues.

Postpone because they need more rest or want to go in the studio seems the most unlikely scenario to me.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:33

Some people look at The Rolling Stones as some kind of commodity, like milk and bread. Fact is they are live persons, in fact four individuals. They are free to decide and change plans at any time, just like you and me, we talk to our partners and we agree on stuff, we disagree on stuff, then we move on. I might plan to climb a mountain next month them my wife says she want us to do something else then we change plans.

That is the whole point of small slots of 18 or so shows. They (the Stones) are old enough to be able to do it their own way. No need to demand or request. We should be happy if they choose to make a new album or a new slot of shows, and we should even be happy for them if they decide to spend more time with their family rather than with a bunch of fans in some arena or stadium...

Bjornulf

Date: August 7, 2013 17:37

bv
Some people look at The Rolling Stones as some kind of commodity, like milk and bread. Fact is they are live persons, in fact four individuals. They are free to decide and change plans at any time, just like you and me, we talk to our partners and we agree on stuff, we disagree on stuff, then we move on. I might plan to climb a mountain next month them my wife says she want us to do something else then we change plans.

That is the whole point of small slots of 18 or so shows. They (the Stones) are old enough to be able to do it their own way. No need to demand or request. We should be happy if they choose to make a new album or a new slot of shows, and we should even be happy for them if they decide to spend more time with their family rather than with a bunch of fans in some arena or stadium...

Don't worry BV, I've got a wife like that too. winking smiley

We have a discussion ...and then I do as I'm told !

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:46

[www.youtube.com]

"Hope to see you very soon" - says Mick

Date: August 7, 2013 17:59

So maybe it is Shirley Watts who said, "Oh no Charlie, no more, that's enough..."winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 7, 2013 18:01

bv
Continue means more shows. Like always. They never said how soon. Plans for a fall tour has been there but may be other plans first. That's all. We all have plans. We all do change them at times. But we never quit. I have said again and again... If you want to see the Stones then do it NOW. Don't wait until the "next" show - it might not happen...

But, at this time of their lives, they don't wait 5 more years untill next time. Charlie being 72, Mick 70 etc. - you never know when you're not able going onstage in decent form Again like they did this time. Being in good shape musically right now, you don't wait untill next fall to find out if you can reach the same level again.

Only reason for not touring in the fall is then a question about healt, lack of interest from promoters to pay the right price or a conflict between the "two of them". That we will only find out later on. Making a CD promoting a European part of the tour in 2014 sounds pretty odd. Taking a breake until 2014 sounds very suspicous as well.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2013 18:12

bv

Happy for them bv, but not for us. sad smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 7, 2013 19:17

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

Do you really think so?

- Doxa
Or,they could be asking too much in guarantee money and don't have promoters willing to pay it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home