Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Is This Latest Version Of Rolling Stones Best Live Version Ever?
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 25, 2013 12:26

DandelionPowderman
<his solo spots? They leave me cold.>

Then the songs in his solo spots must leave you cold as well - because the BTMMR versions on this tour have been fantastic. YGTS is also beautiful, imo.

Happy I can live without.

It was so great to hear him do BTMMR this tour. I agree that he nailed it.

Date: June 25, 2013 12:53

Speaking of trainwrecks, I like this version - but it sure takes a few minutes before Charlie finds the beat here smiling smiley

Date: June 25, 2013 18:48

Thrylan
Jesse
Thrylan said: "True......I'm not saying I want the Stones to quit, but the analogy is pretty good, arthritis for Alzheimer's. Ali would have likely lived a lot longer, had he not fought that one fight. Likewise, I want to see Keith(lesser extent, Ronnie), put in "winning position."

I'm Zach (the doctor)

For the record, Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's not Alzheimer's.

I write only to correct a medical fact.

Damn, my bad, you are correct. Not to get off topic again, but in hindsight, it is sad more people didn't tell him "no". That's why the "Fight Dr." Ferdie left his camp after beating Foreman, he maintains there was a noticeable difference between before and after that fight. Sad.

Back to Keith, I am only 41, but there are days I sit down with the guitar, and I never really get limber......I can only imagine what it will be like at 69.

Exactly, and that is why we should be applauding him (Keith) instead of ripping him to pieces. I love an old warrior that refuses to quit no matter how battered he is. Something noble about that.

Date: June 25, 2013 19:07

Max'sKansasCity
I read every show thread on this version and (with the exception of a 1-2 whiners who seemed predetermined to whine about the show) EVERYONE who attended these live Stones show reported being delighted about it. Every post from everybody reporting back from the live Stones shows was happy as hell about it. No one who went said they felt that they were let down... on the contrary all live show attendees posted how awesome it was.

I dont know why anyone has to proclaim anything "best Live Version Ever".... how about just leave it at "it seems like they did as good of job as ever entertaining the crowds at live shows", and that is after 50 years. That is pretty cool.

Nobody is proclaiming, just asking. I was just wondering what people thought of the latest edition with Mick Taylor in the line up with Ronnie Wood compared to past editions.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:34

It might not be the best, but it's pretty damn good. I've seen every tour since 78 and this current show is very good. Far exceeded any expectations I had at this late date.

Date: June 25, 2013 19:49

Shawn20
It might not be the best, but it's pretty damn good. I've seen every tour since 78 and this current show is very good. Far exceeded any expectations I had at this late date.

Sure seems like the crowds have been enthusiastic wherever they have played.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 25, 2013 20:51

JumpinJackOLantern, a question for you.. how do you compare say Sympathy for the Devil from this tour or any tour from 1989 to say the LA Friday version? IMO the LA Friday version is as rock and roll as it gets whereas the 'modern' version pales into significance. Sampled intro, poor guitar playing, those horrible backing singers.

Date: June 25, 2013 21:07

JumpinJackOLantern
Shawn20

Sure seems like the crowds have been enthusiastic wherever they have played.

I was enthusiastic that is for sure!
But seriously these are the stones. Having enthusiastic fans doesn't make it their best tour.
In all probability we will need the perspective of a few years to look back and evaluate this tour and decide how it really compares with the other tours.
They all had enthusiastic fans though :-)

Date: June 25, 2013 21:54

Paul Kersey
JumpinJackOLantern, a question for you.. how do you compare say Sympathy for the Devil from this tour or any tour from 1989 to say the LA Friday version? IMO the LA Friday version is as rock and roll as it gets whereas the 'modern' version pales into significance. Sampled intro, poor guitar playing, those horrible backing singers.

I don't really do comparisons. I leave that up to people more qualified, such as yourself. Like I have said repeatedly, I only recognize bad playing when it's blatantly bad - like the video someone posted the other day of Gimme Shelter from '72/'73. Or some of the footage I have seen of Hyde Park in '69. Most fans that attend concerts are not guitar pickers. They don't know when a bad note is played, or if they do, they don't give a rip.

I am just asking for opinions here. Maybe someone should ask Steven Van Zandt and other musicians why they think the Stones are technically better in recent years than in the distant past?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 25, 2013 22:02

I didn't see this tour, as it was too much of a shameless wallet-rape. From the videos I've seen though... abso-freaking-lutely NOT their best.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 25, 2013 22:05

But your original question was is this the best live version of the stones ever. I'm giving you am example of where this modern version is clearly not. Compare all the modern versions of songs to the 60s, 70s or early eighties version and you will see its not better. Its all down to opinion though. As musicians they are nowhere near as good as the old days and I don't think anyone can really argue against that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 25, 2013 22:14

Thrylan
True......I'm not saying I want the Stones to quit, but the analogy is pretty good, arthritis for Alzheimer's.

He's still alive, last I saw.

And, IMO, you never got to see Ali at his best. Not being able to fight for over three years when he was 25 and approaching his peak deprived us of that privilege.

If you want a Stones analogy, imagine the band being forcibly prevented from making music around the time Brian Jones died and then regrouping to make Goats Head Soup.

Date: June 25, 2013 22:17

jamesfdouglas
I didn't see this tour, as it was too much of a shameless wallet-rape. From the videos I've seen though... abso-freaking-lutely NOT their best.

OK, but how does this tour compare to say ABB or the Licks tour in your opinion?

Date: June 25, 2013 22:17

Gazza
Thrylan
True......I'm not saying I want the Stones to quit, but the analogy is pretty good, arthritis for Alzheimer's.

And, IMO, you never got to see Ali at his best. Not being able to fight for over three years when he was 25 and approaching his peak deprived us of that privilege.

If you want a Stones analogy, imagine the band being forcibly prevented from making music around the time Brian Jones died and then regrouping to make Goats Head Soup.

Bingo.
We will never know how great Ali could have been, even though as he was he was the greatest :-)
Far far far off topic but was I the only one who got goosebumps when he appeared in the Olympic stadium to light the torch? (Was that Atlanta?)

Date: June 25, 2013 22:32

Paul Kersey
But your original question was is this the best live version of the stones ever. I'm giving you am example of where this modern version is clearly not. Compare all the modern versions of songs to the 60s, 70s or early eighties version and you will see its not better. Its all down to opinion though. As musicians they are nowhere near as good as the old days and I don't think anyone can really argue against that.

You make some good points. You clearly believe that this latest edition of the Rolling Stones isn't anywhere near the best. Maybe we can get Steven Van Zandt and other prominent musicians to weigh in here? I raised it because it's the first time in their history where you have Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood touring with the band together. To my ears they sound great, but so does Keith.

Date: June 25, 2013 22:42

sonomastone
Gazza
Thrylan

Bingo.
We will never know how great Ali could have been, even though as he was he was the greatest :-)
Far far far off topic but was I the only one who got goosebumps when he appeared in the Olympic stadium to light the torch? (Was that Atlanta?)

When I was young and full of testosterone the sport of boxing seemed legitimate to me. As an old man I think it should be banned. Ali sure was entertaining though, he made a brutal sport fun to watch until you grow up and realize the terrible toll it takes on the human body. It is hard for me to even look at Ali these days.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 26, 2013 00:08

I'm glad to say that the '72 Tour was my first Stones tour...and it seems that many of you agree it was their finest hour BUT it is not realistic to compare the Stones of then to the Stones in 2013....GOOD GRIEF! I don't think I could STAND on stage for 2 1/2 hours let alone PLAY a concert...and play it as well as the Stones do in their late 60's and early 70's.
It IS like comparing Ali at 22 to Ali at 36...whoever said that was exactly right but it is not the fault of the Stones ( or Ali) that they grew older. It i s our LUCK that they did grow older and not die young like Brian did.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 26, 2013 00:35

The original line-up IS, WAS and ALWAYS WILL BE the best line-up

Date: June 26, 2013 00:58

You've got a strong case for sure. I need to listen to more from '67!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:24

JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
SO BRAIN DEAD THREAD LIKE THIS, FROM THE SAME OLD NAME-CHANGING-IMBECIL-POSTER JUMPIN JACK IS OK BUT STONESTOD IS BEING BANNED?
OK; BUT QUITE FRANKLY; I'M FEELING CHEATED. NO WONDER PEOPLE LIKE GAZZA IS STAYING LOW. SO WILL I.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

It's spelled 'imbecile'. Other than that I agree.

So what do you think of Ronnie and Steven Van Zandt?

In terms of them stating the Stones are playing better than ever, or similar? Well, I strongly suspect they don't believe that literally. IF questioned, I am certain there would be some sort of qualification/clarification to their statements.

As you have gotten older have you never had anyone say to you, (a relative, co-worker, neighbor, friend, loved one, whoever) "Oh, you look GREAT" "You're looking better than ever" This may be because you were just discharged from the hospital without a trip to the morgue. Or, it may be due to putting on new or formal clothes, or you got a haircut, or lost or put on a few pounds, or someone is happy to see you after a long time...etc etc.. well, you get the idea...

Don't be a nut. You don't believe what Ron Wood or Steven Van Zandt allegedly said any more than the rest of us do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 01:34 by SweetThing.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:32

JumpinJackOLantern
Paul Kersey

You make some good points. You clearly believe that this latest edition of the Rolling Stones isn't anywhere near the best. Maybe we can get Steven Van Zandt and other prominent musicians to weigh in here? I raised it because it's the first time in their history where you have Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood touring with the band together. To my ears they sound great, but so does Keith.

Yes, they had a CHANCE, with Mick Taylor AND Ron Wood in the band together, to do something DIFFERENT, with a THREE GUITAR Attack (or, if they preferred, to simply recreate their records with even greater accuracy. They could have done something NEW, and in that, at least, their performance wouldn't be so directly susceptible to comparisons of what has come before. But they chose not to do so, for whatever their reasons, good, bad or indifferent.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:54

JumpinJackOLantern
Of course I am speaking of the time that Mick Taylor is on stage. And please don't tell me he is a guest. He is listed as one, but in my heart, once a Rolling Stone, always a Rolling Stone!

I suppose an argument could be made for this latest version (when Mick Taylor is on stage) as the best live version of the band ever? I mean, you have Ronnie, Mick T, and Keith all on the stage at the same time. Then you have Mick singing as good or better than ever, and Charlie, well, Charlie, is still Charlie - hasn't missed a beat!

What do you think? Is it crazy to suggest that this is the best version of the Rolling Stones ever? Rolling Stone magazine is listing this tour as one of their great tours, for whatever that's worth.

No, it is not. Yes, it is crazy to suggest it. Though I'm pretty sure this current live version of the band is the best in the past five years or so, hands-down.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:01

In retrospect, I have had very mixed feelings about this tour, more so than other tours I've been witness to. Yes, I was happy to catch them in Toronto in May with my 12 year old who really enjoyed the show (thank God for those ear plugs!). I know this is probably an unfair comparison, but when I have been checking in on what Springsteen has been doing on the European tour (quality of shows played, length of shows, varied setlists, etc), I find myself getting slightly pissed off. As far as this fan is concerned, there were missed opportunities on this tour that could have potentially made it great! Not all of the reviews I read regarding this tour were stellar by any means. Yes, generally the Stones received solid, good reviews-especially citing how great Mick Jagger as a physical specimen was, etc, etc. but the stench of those outrageous ticket prices for a two hour plus show with "occasional" deep cuts just didn't do it for me. As we have re-hashed this over and over, Mick Taylor was under utilized (and maybe for reasons that you and I may never know), but the boys went out for the most part playing a safe, conservative show that most likely appealed to Mr. Jagger's astute business sense....

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:01

Gazza
Thrylan

Sadly, you are correct.

From what I read, I think we are of the same opinion. This tour is good, great considering age and whatnot, but kill all the greatest and best ever talk, that is silly wishful thinking.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:02

Well, alright I'll take a dip in this pool as well:

Best Rolling Stones post-Wyman. Ever.

Date: June 26, 2013 02:04

stonehearted

i think so too. and i enjoyed it more than '89 actually.

Date: June 26, 2013 02:05

stonehearted

NO NO NO!!!!! Stop it, I'm not listening any more.... LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:16

Thrylan
stonehearted

Good to see the ghost of StonesTod now has a Dopplegänger, because I was worried it might be getting a bit dull around here. But we made that official in another thread just yesterday, didn't we?

Date: June 26, 2013 02:20

stonehearted
Thrylan
stonehearted

Good to see the ghost of StonesTod now has a Dopplegänger, because I was worried it might be getting a bit dull around here. But we made that official in another thread just yesterday, didn't we?

I can't do it. I find myself backsliding and making serious posts between jokes.

Seriously though, I miss the lightheartedness, amongst the beating of the many dead horses.......or warhorses.

Date: June 26, 2013 02:22

SweetThing
JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
SO BRAIN DEAD THREAD LIKE THIS, FROM THE SAME OLD NAME-CHANGING-IMBECIL-POSTER JUMPIN JACK IS OK BUT STONESTOD IS BEING BANNED?
OK; BUT QUITE FRANKLY; I'M FEELING CHEATED. NO WONDER PEOPLE LIKE GAZZA IS STAYING LOW. SO WILL I.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

It's spelled 'imbecile'. Other than that I agree.

So what do you think of Ronnie and Steven Van Zandt?

In terms of them stating the Stones are playing better than ever, or similar? Well, I strongly suspect they don't believe that literally. IF questioned, I am certain there would be some sort of qualification/clarification to their statements.

As you have gotten older have you never had anyone say to you, (a relative, co-worker, neighbor, friend, loved one, whoever) "Oh, you look GREAT" "You're looking better than ever" This may be because you were just discharged from the hospital without a trip to the morgue. Or, it may be due to putting on new or formal clothes, or you got a haircut, or lost or put on a few pounds, or someone is happy to see you after a long time...etc etc.. well, you get the idea...

Don't be a nut. You don't believe what Ron Wood or Steven Van Zandt allegedly said any more than the rest of us do.

I am not sure what I believe at this point (on this subject) anymore - heard so damn many different opinions from so many different voices. I thought stonesstein summed it up the best. I am certainly not qualified to determine the technical abilities of the guitar players of the Rolling Stones. They sound great to me, always have, with the exception being the rare videos that show up here where they are obviously having an off performance.

Steven Van Zandt put his comments in writing in Rolling Stone magazines 100 Greatest Artists that was updated in 2011. Maybe he has a different opinion about this tour, but since the general consensus around here is that this tour is at least as good as Licks and better than ABB, I would think his opinion would still be pretty much the same. Maybe he can come forward and expand on what he had written in the magazine?

Personally I don't care if this is the worst edition of the Rolling Stones ever. I still enjoy watching and listening to them. The videos that have been posted here have sounded fantastic (to my untrained ears) and you know that when the DVD comes out it is going to sound even better.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home