Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Is This Latest Version Of Rolling Stones Best Live Version Ever?
Date: June 24, 2013 19:38

Rollin' Stoner

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 24, 2013 19:42

JumpinJackOLantern

So what is it specifically that they are not doing that they once did?
Playing with stunning fluidity (in Taylor's case) and rhythmic brilliance (in Keith's).

Does it change the overall sound of the song?

Yes.

Does it make the songs any less powerful?

Yes.

Or is it something only a trained ear can pick up?

No.

Date: June 24, 2013 19:50

24FPS
JumpinJackOLantern
24FPS
You're kidding, right?

They certainly sounded great on Ladies and Gentlemen, but did you see the video posted earlier today of them performing live during the '72, 73 tour? Awful. I am just asking a question. I haven't seen every tour throughout the years. Steven Van Zandt seems to think they are performing better than ever. Is it possible that we are confusing higher levels of energy with better playing? Certainly they had more energy in those days thanks to youth and the drugs they were taking. Today they are doing it straight. And of course they are pushing 70. But what about the actual playing today with the addition of Mick Taylor?

They most likely had some off nights on every tour over the past 50 years. And in my own personal observations, they played their instruments much better then. There was an abundance of energy, despite the booze and pills and powders, not to mention the cooze and lack of sleep. In their 20s they could push past all that. Now they have three days off between appearances.

Steven Van Zandt has a vested interest in thinking they're playing better. He's old too and probably likes to think he's still as good as he was. It's nothing personal against the Stones. They are now the older, slower bluesmen they told us they were going to be. Personally I wish they'd do some more blues, and knock this Tumbling Dice/Sympathy For The Devil off the table. I'd really like to see this whole thing grow up. They can be the group they are now without trying to recreate 1969.

I like this slower version of the Stones. Never liked those hyper-versions of songs when they were "coked up" and had too much energy for their own good.

I am curious as to how they played their instruments better back then as opposed to today? I think what most non musicians come away with is it that they are just a little less intense these days. Midnight Rambler sounds as good as ever to my ears.

Date: June 24, 2013 19:56

drewmaster
JumpinJackOLantern

So what is it specifically that they are not doing that they once did?
Playing with stunning fluidity (in Taylor's case) and rhythmic brilliance (in Keith's).

Does it change the overall sound of the song?

Yes.

Does it make the songs any less powerful?

Yes.

Or is it something only a trained ear can pick up?

No.

Do you think that the drugs they took in those days enhanced their playing?

Date: June 24, 2013 20:09

GravityBoy
Doesn't get better than this.

It's definitely killer, but Mick's singing is actually better today.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:13

SO BRAIN DEAD THREAD LIKE THIS, FROM THE SAME OLD NAME-CHANGING-IMBECIL-POSTER JUMPIN JACK IS OK BUT STONESTOD IS BEING BANNED?
OK; BUT QUITE FRANKLY; I'M FEELING CHEATED. NO WONDER PEOPLE LIKE GAZZA IS STAYING LOW. SO WILL I.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:14

Tours in the USA the Stones were at their best from 1969 and went
down hill a little every tour after..Just like us!!

The Stones are still the best...

Date: June 24, 2013 20:17

JumpinJackOLantern

ARE YOU MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER?
OR ARE YOU A PRAYING VIRGIN? IT'S INCREDIBLE THAT YOU AND BV ARE IN CHARGE OF THIS BOARD. JUST DON'T RUN TOO MANY RED LIGHTS IN HIS HIS OWNER. I GUESS "HE" IS JAGGER IN BV'S CASE

Date: June 24, 2013 20:29

Erik_Snow
JumpinJackOLantern

ARE YOU MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER?
OR ARE YOU A PRAYING VIRGIN? IT'S INCREDIBLE THAT YOU AND BV ARE IN CHARGE OF THIS BOARD. JUST DON'T RUN TOO MANY RED LIGHTS IN HIS HIS OWNER. I GUESS "HE" IS JAGGER IN BV'S CASE

What is Barry Bonds doing these days?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:30

Erik_Snow
SO BRAIN DEAD THREAD LIKE THIS, FROM THE SAME OLD NAME-CHANGING-IMBECIL-POSTER JUMPIN JACK IS OK BUT STONESTOD IS BEING BANNED?
OK; BUT QUITE FRANKLY; I'M FEELING CHEATED. NO WONDER PEOPLE LIKE GAZZA IS STAYING LOW. SO WILL I.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

It's spelled 'imbecile'. Other than that I agree.

Date: June 24, 2013 20:36

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

So what do you think of Ronnie and Steven Van Zandt?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:38

Honor. "Red lights in his honor"! Eric, take a deep breathe and erase everything you wrote in uppercase letters. You know better than this. Surely...

Date: June 24, 2013 20:41

JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

So what do you think of Ronnie and Steven Van Zandt?

Best YESTERDAY's NEWS EVER!

Date: June 24, 2013 20:47

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 18:16 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 24, 2013 21:18

JumpinJackOLantern

Now you're being silly!

Date: June 24, 2013 22:04

Paul Kersey
JumpinJackOLantern

Now you're being silly!

Mick himself would tell you he sings better today. No comparison. Not saying he didn't incorporate a tremendous amount of energy into his vocals back then. My wife actually likes Keith's voice better than Mick's, although I am not sure she has heard him recently.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:11

His voice is too 'thin' now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:11

Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

thumbs up

the lunatic really has taken over the asylum.

Date: June 24, 2013 22:19

Paul Kersey

He is a much better singer today though. I think his voice was at it's best probably in the early to mid sixties.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:40

JumpinJackOLantern
Paul Kersey

He is a much better singer today though. I think his voice was at it's best probably in the early to mid sixties.

I don't know how you can say that, JumpinJack. Jagger's voice has lost its raw vitality. Paul is correct - Jagger's voice is too thin now, and irritating. Back in the day his voice was very much the essence of rock 'n' roll.

Why Is There No Full Album To Document The Voodoo Lounge Tour?
Posted by: rocknroller ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:43

We need a full Paradidsio

Date: June 24, 2013 22:57

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Not in norwegian grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2013 23:36

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Any country that misspells its largest city Oslo instead of Also is certainly questionable!

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: June 25, 2013 00:33

Just ask a 19 year old what they think. Time is relevant more in their eyes and ears then ours. All of them i have asked say its the best concert they ha e ever been to.....

The only question you need to ask is would you tell your friends to go see a show. For most of us that answer is yes, even today.......,,,.

Look they are just great at anytime you see them... If not well then your just not going anymore.

Who is still going most of us are!!! That includes DC Tonight

E

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 25, 2013 00:44

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Any country that misspells its largest city Oslo instead of Also is certainly questionable!

That's funny.

Date: June 25, 2013 00:46

sonomastone
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

Thanks....I don't think it landed as well as it might have.

There's a better joke there, I just couldn't find it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 25, 2013 01:07

JumpinJackOLantern

What do you think? Is it crazy to suggest that this is the best version of the Rolling Stones ever?

I think so, yes. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 01:12 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 25, 2013 03:14

JumpinJackOLantern
black n blue
24FPS
You're kidding, right? I just watched Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones last night from the'72 tour. Keith fighting off Taylor's virtuosity so he can get in a tasty lead or two of his own. Bill bringing the bottom, and some danger, with throbbing bass lines. Jagger and Richards head to head doing vocals on Happy. Taylor's Love In Vain and All Down The Line masterpieces. Charlie kicking up the energy level to a frenzy for the Street Fighting Man finale.

By comparison the current version is the Rolling Stones in name only. A pleasant little rock and roll get together, not too strenuous, gloriously familiar, with an occasional authentic note pulled from somewhere far back. This is cabaret compared to the Jack Daniels and fat coke chunks on a knife blade Stones. This is The Rolling Stones on Broadway, not the Stones in a sweaty Long Beach Arena blowing the doors off. There is menace in the 1972 Mick Jagger slamming his Midnight Rambler belt to the stage floor. 2013 is Good Times Rock and Roll, and Remember When? Delivered professionally, cleanly, with more than a few spoons of nostalgia. But, the best Live Version of the Stones, ever? You're kidding, right?

Agree 100% Like Comparing Ali at 22 to Ali at 36. Please

What about Ali at 32 or 33? I think the Ali that defeated Foreman then Frazier in Manilla would have beaten the 22 year old Cassius Clay. Experience would have prevailed.
disagree. Cassius had hand speed lateral movement. Ali stood still. Best foreman because george was worn out.

Date: June 25, 2013 05:16

Big Ed
Just ask a 19 year old what they think. Time is relevant more in their eyes and ears then ours. All of them i have asked say its the best concert they ha e ever been to.....

The only question you need to ask is would you tell your friends to go see a show. For most of us that answer is yes, even today.......,,,.

Look they are just great at anytime you see them... If not well then your just not going anymore.

Who is still going most of us are!!! That includes DC Tonight

E

Very profound. thumbs upthumbs up

Date: June 25, 2013 05:22

Edward Twining
JumpinJackOLantern
Paul Kersey

I don't know how you can say that, JumpinJack. Jagger's voice has lost its raw vitality. Paul is correct - Jagger's voice is too thin now, and irritating. Back in the day his voice was very much the essence of rock 'n' roll.

His voice has definitely changed with age, but his singing is better than ever. Two different things we are talking about here.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home