Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 24, 2014 12:31

Deluxtone
Just all-round tighter and more forceful.
Keith at his all-time peak.

JJ Flash - dual rhythm.

Queenie.

Carol.

stray cat

Rambler

Sympathy - when not soloing

Whole approach is generally dual rhythm.

Tha Live With Me has never been bettered. Fierce Taylor rhythm to counterpoint Keith's lead riff motif.

Yeah, but in the Faces Ronnie did both Keith's and Taylor's duties.
wasn't he wonderful then?!

On Ya-Ya's there's not one rythm part of Taylor that is memorable. They even overdubbed Taylor's rhythm parts on Carol and Queenie.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 24, 2014 13:01

Mathijs

On Ya-Ya's there's not one rythm part of Taylor that is memorable. They even overdubbed Taylor's rhythm parts on Carol and Queenie.

Mathijs

Stray Cat, Rambler and Satisfaction all have some great rhythmic solutions by Taylor. If I have to point out one in particular, that would be the riff he plays on the pre-chorus A chord: nothing less than great.

C

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 24, 2014 14:51

LuxuryStones
Mathijs

I never understood the ‘Taylor’ vs. Wood debate. Of course Taylor is a much better lead guitarist –on his peak in 1972 and 1973 Taylor was incredible, with fantastic melodic solo’s executed mesmerizing precisely. I do not recall one solo by Wood that has the same kind of emotion, melodic sense en technical prowess that can match any Taylor solo.

Mathijs

Agreed.

Not to forget his great solos on the 1970 tour, his nice soloing during the 1971 goodbye England tour and his grand solos on Sympathy FTD, I'm Free, Satisfaction and Stray Cat Bl. during the 1969 tour. But Taylor isn't only about soloing. Those who don't hear that don't use their ears.

As for saying that copying Taylor is easy: well, let it hear us. It's just like copying Van Gogh or Rembrandt: not so easy but absolutely not impossible. We know the forger of Vermeer. It took quite some effort to unmask him. Conclusion and fact: to create a great guitar solo is like creating an great painting: only a true artist can do that. But many very lesser gods are able to copy them. They are not creative artists but forgers without any fantasy.

Date: April 24, 2014 15:00

Taylor plays nice guitar solos, but let's get real - NONE of the musicians in the Stones is nowhere near rocket science-level when it comes to music.

The secret behind this band is, and has always been, that the sum is bigger than its individual parts. The music they make TOGETHER is what counts for millions of people.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 24, 2014 15:16

DandelionPowderman
Taylor plays nice guitar solos, but let's get real - NONE of the musicians in the Stones is nowhere near rocket science-level when it comes to music.

The secret behind this band is, and has always been, that the sum is bigger than its individual parts. The music they make TOGETHER is what counts for millions of people.

Plural to singular, bracketed around a double negative Dandy? What are you trying to say? Its almost like a Ronnie Wood solo put into essay form. smiling smiley

Yes, that is the secret though... and one of the issues with the Vegas era as a couple of the pieces are missing...A good forger would be better than the plinkety plink we get now... and that's totally apart from even considering Taylor.

Date: April 24, 2014 15:36

When kleerie starts yapping about Rembrandt, Van Gogh or Mozart, it's my duty to take him back to Planet Earth, SweetThing grinning smiley

Plural, Scmural... winking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 24, 2014 15:44

DandelionPowderman

.... let's get real - NONE of the musicians in the Stones is nowhere near rocket science-level when it comes to music.

thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:02

Sweet Little Rock N' ROller - The Faces @ Detroit 1974
Out of Control Live from the original dvd.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:07

DandelionPowderman
When kleerie starts yapping about Rembrandt, Van Gogh or Mozart, it's my duty to take him back to Planet Earth, SweetThing grinning smiley

Plural, Scmural... winking smiley

haha.. yes.. but as you said, "together", with their sidemen included for years,as well (and Jimmy Miller for his tenure), and the longevity, they're just off the charts, I think we agree. I find it challenging to give them their due without either overstating or understating in some way. Reminds me of one of Keith's cliches about not trying to analyze it too much.. The Taylor thing is interesting..he doesn't have the importance/influence of Beck/Page/Clapton..but when it come to sort of driving British blues... for me he sort of stands alone. But then again, they're all special cases.. Keith, Jagger as a vocalist, Watts, Wyman.. The band (including Jones, Ronnie and Nicky Hopkins etc) is magic, its all I can say.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:12

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

.... let's get real - NONE of the musicians in the Stones is nowhere near rocket science-level when it comes to music.

thumbs up

Bravo! Nailed it! This has been my take on the Stones and what I appreciate about them. Remember the interview clip in SAL where Ron and Keith were asked who is the better guitar player. Keith said something like, "I think we're both pretty lousy. But put us together and we're better than ten other people." Classic Keith.smileys with beer

Date: April 24, 2014 16:12

thumbs up

Date: April 24, 2014 17:22

DandelionPowderman

Do you think Van Gogh was "near rocket science-level" when it comes to painting? No, he wasn't anwywhere near it, because he was a pretty technically limited painter. But what you forget is that art isn't about science, but about feel and emotion. Well, go back listening to Music for the millions. winking smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 17:32

He he, I'm with you, kleerie - without the obsession, though winking smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 17:52

DandelionPowderman
He he, I'm with you, kleerie - without the obsession, though winking smiley

Well, not the same obsession at least.

Date: April 24, 2014 18:11

It's not an obsession anymore. It was when I was 15, though smiling smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 24, 2014 18:37

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

Stray Cat, Rambler and Satisfaction all have some great rhythmic solutions by Taylor. If I have to point out one in particular, that would be the riff he plays on the pre-chorus A chord: nothing less than great.

C

thumbs up

That includes Carol and LQ, STDF, LWM and SFM.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:00

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
MadMax
I never understood the ‘Taylor’ vs. Wood debate. Of course Taylor is a much better lead guitarist –on his peak in 1972 and 1973 Taylor was incredible, with fantastic melodic solo’s executed mesmerizing precisely. I do not recall one solo by Wood that has the same kind of emotion, melodic sense en technical prowess that can match any Taylor solo.

That said: I guitar solo is just that, a guitar solo. It’s 12 bars or 20 seconds in a piece of music of 5 minutes. And a great solo doesn’t make a mediocre piece of music any better. And that’s why I prefer the 1975 to 1982 period over the 1969 to 1973 period: I find the BAND much better in those latter, Ron Wood years. Yes I love the energy and shear excitement of 1972, yes I like the raw approach of that tour, but I find Charlie to be a much better drummer in 1975 and 1978, and Bill was at his absolute best in 1981. Richards was quite a boring rhythm player in 1973, and a fantastic lead and riff player in 1975 and 1978, and at his peak in 1981.

I just like the twin guitar attack of Wood and Richard s much better than the individual approach of Taylor and Richards, Years ago when I was in a Stones band, we found out that copying the Taylor years was much more easy than copying the Wood years. With the Taylor years it was easy to split the guitar parts and copy it precisely. With the Wood years that is much harder, and laying a good When the Whip Comes Down or Imagination turned out much more difficult than laying a 1973 version of Tumbling Dice down.

You took the Words from my mouth! Spot on! Thank God you are around Mathijs, I agree 110%. The Stones is a band, Taylor is a Beautiful legato-style solo player but we are all so lucky we've had so much fun outta both Brian, Taylor and Ronnie.

Sigh. The only thing here that's true is that you don't understand the Taylor-Wood debate. The preference for Taylor is NOT just about solos. It is about musicality, as well as how his playing made Keith and the others play better (or differently), whereas with Wood it was more of a boys club, have a good time feel (which is fine, sometimes). To only focus on solos is missing the point, in my opinion.

Please, Tele, you know better than stating that Keith became a better player by sticking to strumming out open G-chords...

But I didn't state that, DP. You should know better than to put words in my mouth. smoking smiley

Hm... "made Keith and the others play better (or differently)..."

At least, you're dancing on a very thin line here winking smiley

I think you brought up an interesting point - Keith deciding to focus on open-G rhythm - but it wasn't the point I was making. But since you mentioned it: The Taylor-bashers often point to 1973 as an example of what they don't like: too much soloing and rhythm-lead split. This was, and always has been, Keith's band. If Keith decided to focus on opne-G, what exactly was Taylor supposed to do except play more lead? This was, in fact, driven by Keith, which is why so much of what he said later in regard to his preference for a one-guitar sound, "weaving", etc. is crap. It was Keith who brought the guitars into more separate roles, not Taylor. Just compare Ya Yas with Brussells.

Date: April 24, 2014 19:05

Mathijs
71Tele

The preference for Taylor is NOT just about solos. It is about musicality, as well as how his playing made Keith and the others play better (or differently), whereas with Wood it was more of a boys club, have a good time feel (which is fine, sometimes). To only focus on solos is missing the point, in my opinion.

To me, Taylor is just about soloing, as I find him mediocre at best at rythm playing. I think he did fantastic solo's, great slide, but that's it. He's just not very much a rhythm player. And to me, the secret of a great band is a great drummer, a fantastic bassist, and two interlocking guitarists, trading rythm, riffs and leads.

Mathijs

Well, you have stated this before, and I simply strongly disagree. The combination of the two guitars was much more interesting with Taylor, and they sounded different during different years - it wasn't simply solos. Wood played very weakly for many years and Keith simply played over him. His guitar was also about twice as loud in the mix during those years. There's the myth of "weaving" and the reality. Taylor is a better musician, his parts (not just solos) were more thought-out and melodic. Now some simply prefer Wood stylistically and that's fine. But to continue to base your preference on Taylor's alleged lack of ability is simply not convincing.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:35

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

Agreed.

Not to forget his great solos on the 1970 tour, his nice soloing during the 1971 goodbye England tour and his grand solos on Sympathy FTD, I'm Free, Satisfaction and Stray Cat Bl. during the 1969 tour. But Taylor isn't only about soloing. Those who don't hear that don't use their ears.

As for saying that copying Taylor is easy: well, let it hear us. It's just like copying Van Gogh or Rembrandt: not so easy but absolutely not impossible. We know the forger of Vermeer. It took quite some effort to unmask him. Conclusion and fact: to create a great guitar solo is like creating an great painting: only a true artist can do that. But many very lesser gods are able to copy them. They are not creative artists but forgers without any fantasy.
let's not forget that it is easy to play the same notes of mick taylor's solos , but the hard part is to get taylor's VIBRATO and tone .that is not easily duplicated .that is the difference between a ROLLING STONE and us mortals !!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:41

the stones with mick taylor especially in 1973 (brussels) is at the peak of mick taylor's era with the glimmers.nothing can touch this ,go back and listen to brussels ,and watch ladies and gentelman .taylor is on fire right up there with eric clapton .if that does not move you nothing will .i do love ronnie also and i think the world of him .

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:48

TheGreek
the stones with mick taylor especially in 1973 (brussels) is at the peak of mick taylor's era with the glimmers.nothing can touch this ,go back and listen to brussels ,and watch ladies and gentleman .taylor is on fire right up there with eric clapton .if that does not move you nothing will .i do love ronnie also and i think the world of him .

Exactly. thumbs up

Date: April 24, 2014 20:21

TheGreek
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

Agreed.

let's not forget that it is easy to play the same notes of mick taylor's solos , but the hard part is to get taylor's VIBRATO and tone .that is not easily duplicated .that is the difference between a ROLLING STONE and us mortals !!!!!!!!

A skilled technical musician can copy Taylor's parts, but it took Taylor to create them - that's the difference. Same with Keith's style for that matter. Might be technically easy to play, but just try to create memorable riffs, let alone great songs.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 24, 2014 20:35

71Tele
TheGreek
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

Agreed.

A skilled technical musician can copy Taylor's parts, but it took Taylor to create them - that's the difference. Same with Keith's style for that matter. Might be technically easy to play, but just try to create memorable riffs, let alone great songs.
Mathijs starts this off as Woods best solos, then he states that solos aren't important and continues to expound the bs that Taylor isn't a great rhythm player with the only proof being Keith erased him off of a Ya Ya's track. Taylor is a complete player the proof is on every album he appeared on. "Winter" is a fine example of his doing a great Keith imitation. "Moonlight Mile" as well... In fact if the worst happened and Keith were sidelined Taylor would do a better job than Wood doing Keith's parts while Wood can continue trying to play Taylor's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 20:36 by DoomandGloom.

Date: April 24, 2014 21:16

DoomandGloom
Mathijs starts this off as Woods best solos, then he states that solos aren't important and continues to expound the bs that Taylor isn't a great rhythm player with the only proof being Keith erased him off of a Ya Ya's track. Taylor is a complete player the proof is on every album he appeared on. "Winter" is a fine example of his doing a great Keith imitation. "Moonlight Mile" as well... In fact if the worst happened and Keith were sidelined Taylor would do a better job than Wood doing Keith's parts while Wood can continue trying to play Taylor's.[/quote]

Mathijs has been peddling this rather bizarre hypothesis for years now: Taylor can't play rhythm, Taylor "hardly played" on Exile, any guitarist could have done what Taylor did in the Stones, etc. It's not just that he prefers Wood, it's that he has some sort of anti-Taylor agenda, trying to minimize accomplishments that are obvious to anyone with the LPs and a set of ears.

Fortunately we all have Ya Yas, Brussells, Exile, GHS, and all the other evidence that easily refutes these contentions. Mathijs should just come clean and tell us all what his real problem with Taylor is. Did Taylor refuse an autograph at some point, or what? It's really strange.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 21:20 by 71Tele.

Date: April 24, 2014 21:25

Here's an example of Taylor's supposedly terrible rhythm playing. Ah, but maybe Mathijs has some evidence that Keith broke into the studio, erased Taylor's part, and overdubbed it himself. smoking smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 21:27

Here's one we all know. Taylor on rhythm. But again, maybe it's really Keith on an overdub and only Mathijs knew.

Date: April 24, 2014 22:32

DandelionPowderman

Are you gonna state that you don't have a Keith obsession?? No one will believe that. smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:36

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Are you gonna state that you don't have a Keith obsession?? No one will believe that. smiling smiley
We all got that! When all is said and done, he's got few peers.. This debate has gone on since I first saw them in 1978... It's amazing, even in The Allmans people accepted Dan Tolar and loved Warren Haynes who followed Duane. But we have this.. I had some doubts as to how far of the ledge MT would go but then he took some real risks in the last few shows. Taylor never is a butt kisser and sees himself as the guy who can challenge musicians..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 23:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 24, 2014 23:09

Sorry folks, but i feel a bit tired of Taylor- mania i see on this board... I've expressed and explained my opinion about Taylor and about Ronnie on another thread. Now, i just would like to express my gratification, seeing Dandelion's posts. Cheers.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 24, 2014 23:25

Well after all my years on this board I would never have dreamed that one day I would agree with or come to the defense of Mathijs, but I will. I don't think he is anti-Taylor at all. He is just trying to de-mythologize him. In the late 60s and early 70s when many of the BIG BRIT stars wanted to turn the blues into their own rapid fire volume drenched solo driven music , Taylor was the man the Stones needed. But that scene imploded, as the Stones nearly did, and Ronnie has been the man needed ever since. In that era at one point it was declared Clapton was GOD, and since then he has had enough sense for his career ( and suffer the barbs of those who can't let go of 5 minute long screaming solos) to pull the plug and concentrate on crafting songs over pushing solos. Who plays the better guitar depends on the ear of the listener, Ron certainly seems willing to play a larger variety of instruments. While no platinum seller, Ron does have more solo success, indeed more success with other groups in history then Mick Taylor. Does that mean he is better? I can't tell you that but he is obviously more commercial. Anyhow, neither this thread, nor Mathijs in it, started out as another of the endless , as well as redundant and pointless Wood VS Taylor battles. All it was was an appreciation of Ronnie, a positive affirmation of what people enjoy about him. Why couldn't people just leave it there? If you don't like what you hear with Ron, don't post or go post to the zillion other threads you could be negative and continue this ridiculous " I'm right, no...I'm right" prattle. Christ there are people on this board who have still not accepted Taylor over Brian Jones, at least they have not jumped on board. I don't have a problem with people that want to proselytize their musical taste and tell the rest of us we are wrong , after all I live next door to people that listen only to classical music and bitch about my Stones all the time, but it does get tiring to listen to all the time. How about this, THIS THREAD IS TO TALK ABOUT THE SOLOS OF RONNIE WOOD THAT WE APPRECIATE, IF THERE ARE NONE THAT YOU APPRECIATE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY! smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 23:31 by kahoosier.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home