Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:42

liddas

His "two finger" technique always creates unique voicings.

What an incredible artist!

C

That's what she said.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:45

Doxa
kleermaker

Who says Taylor was a shining star and not a team player (as well)?

I say so. Not enough? grinning smiley With that I only mean that wheras Taylor's forte was that of being a flashy lead guitarist (and having certain room-needing features belonging to that concept, which especially flowered in 1973), Wood's forte is to be a great team player. To use football analogies more, Taylor was a striker who is there to score, and having not much defense duties, and makes easily headlines, whereas Woody is more a middle-field player, more defense-oriented, less profilic, even though still able to score when needed. Some damn beautiful goals he have made, as this thread shows...

- Doxa

Even the most defensive defender scores a goal sometimes. But how about my reply to your post about the supposed Taylor-oriented Keith songwriting?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:48

Doxa
kleermaker

I say so. Not enough? grinning smiley With that I only mean that wheras Taylor's forte was that of being a flashy lead guitarist (and having certain room-needing features belonging to that concept, which especially flowered in 1973), Wood's forte is to be a great team player. To use football analogies more, Taylor was a striker who is there to score, and having not much defense duties, and makes easily headlines, whereas Woody is more a middle-field player, more defense-oriented, less profilic, even though still able to score when needed. Some damn beautiful goals he have made, as this thread shows...

- Doxa

HEY, I resent that on MT's behalf. He's out there every night, rain or shine playing defence on Satisfaction.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 22, 2014 19:02

Mathijs has baited us into yet another Wood/Taylor epic. It's quite ridiculous, yes you can search through the archives and find a moment where Wood connected two verses together, not quite 1 million monkey's with a million typewriters but not so far off. Hint if your in The Rolling Stones you should approach greatness every night, for instance Bobby Keys. Wood's tenure with the band is approaching 40 years, where in the actual catalog is there one solo that can stand next to Taylor's great solos, even on Black and Blue it's someone else. Yes he was put in the band for his image and Keith's wake up call. Yes Jagger played off Taylor, no doubt it's easier to enter a verse when the note leading in is a sweet one rather than a poorly bent one. Wood is a great rock star, a wonderful guy, why put him through this grinder of comparing him to one of a generations great soloists? If you watch Wood's CYHMK it says it all, 10 thousand dollar strat, greatest drummer for any guitar solo, Keith, Bobby, custom Fender amps, simply can't navigate through his instrument.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 19:14 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:01

Doxa

electricmud

Mathijs
If there ever was weaving it was from from 1975 to 1978, and during these years Keith was at his ever best.

..and I would include 1981/82...

In 1975 Ronnie was just a replacement for the TOA. He had to learn tons of songs in a short time. I ever had the feeling that Ronnie kept Mick Taylor`s style of playing long /harmonic solos. You can`t change everything when there is someone new in the band and you wanna go on tour. Perhaps that`s the reason why some people here liked Ronnie`s playing in 75/76 so much.

I think that they found their own style as a band with Ron Wood when they had time in the studio for Some Girls. That created a new fresh sound and style in a way they never could have with Mick Taylor.

I deeply love Mick Taylor for his playing till today. Never missed a solo gig in my town. But I truly love Ronnie`s skills, very risky , sometimes crap, sometimes fantastic, never boring and bringing in Lapsteel or pedal steel guitar.

And seeing them onstage together is just wonderful.

Tom

A pretty similar picture as I have. There surely were traits of what will come later already in 1975/76, a big ship like that doesn't turn so easily, but to me the 'real' weaving years were 1978-82, when they really mastered the art (I don't know why Mathijs exludes 1981/82, but I guess he has his own well-argued reasons for that).

What you say of SOME GIRLS sessions being essential for that new sound to born - which I agree with - bring the question how much Jagger had a role in creating the new animal. He played a lot of guitar in those sessions, resulting with a thing sometimes called a 'three-guitar attack'. Also the punk-inspired down-to-earth-rockers he came up with offered a new template for Keith and Ronnie to do their thing, and many times him - Jagger - providing the basic rhythm guitar foundations. A witty Taylorite could say that was Jagger's tactical move to get some decent lead guitar from the guitar department - "I take care of the rhythm - try you guys together come up with something more interesting, there is two of you, one of you need to come up with something..." grinning smiley

- Doxa

I think it was not only Jagger creating the new animal. When someone like Taylor is leaving a band then there is space. Playing a Gibson guitar, fat sound, loud on stage like Taylor used to(and still do).. when this is gone you have to fill up the sound. That could be a problem or a new chance for others. Like Jagger adding more guitar. Ronnie could get away from his "Taylor-style" which he added as a touring member and locked in with Keith in a way which is more his own style.

Tom

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:39

Apart from the Mick Taylor period, the Stones were never really a "great soloos" band. I like some of their early solos, on "Down the Road Apiece" or "All over now" (I have no idea whether it's Keith or Brian doing these), and I am sure there are some great soloos with Ronnie, but the power of the Stones lies somewhere else.
In general, I am not very interested in solos. Never liked Clapton, nor Hendrix, nor B.B. King, nor all those silly heavy metal soloos. But, having said that, for some reason, I am often strangely moved by Mick Taylor's soloos. I don't know why, but there his soloos are so fluid, so "poetic", so "ethereal" (yeah, sorry about that, but how the hell can one describe solos anyway?), that I find them absolute magic. In "Moonlight Mile", in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", in "Sway", etc... I can only compare it with some Skatalites trumpet solos on top of that steaming rhythm that keeps on rolling on.
Illustrating of course is on "Get Yer Ya's..." during "Sympathy" with first Keith's "solo" and then Mick Taylor. I am not saying that to knock Keith, I just think the contrast is great. And it shows that it's useless to compare them, since it's like comparing whiskey with apple-pie or the colour blue with the smell of pancakes.
In the same way, I don't see the point in comparing Ronnie Wood with Mick Taylor (or either of them with Brian Jones).
The Stones were smart enough, after Taylor went, not to look for a "second-hand" Taylor (as Clapton or someone like that would have ended up), but - instead - something completely else, a different sound, which lead to Some Girls and Tattoo You. Unfortunately, soon after that, Mick Jagger and Keith started to get their problems, Keith started to deteriorate and the Stones lost a lot of their quality. For none of that Ronnie Wood is to blame, on the contrary, I am pretty sure without him they wouldn't have survived.
Ronnie Wood has provided a number of great licks, great guitar sounds, and has contributed a lot to a different Stones, the 76 - 82 era. But obviously, he never played a solo to make angels fall from the sky, as Taylor did, and neither did Brian nor Keith. The good thing about the Stones is that they went on anyway (without Taylor) and still found a way to make a number of damn good records and damn great live shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 23:55 by matxil.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:43

--------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 20:51 by 71Tele.

Date: April 22, 2014 20:50

There are a lot of great moments on guitar with Ron Wood, but great "solos"? Not so much. He started out in '75 imitating (badly) Taylor solos, which on some songs he still does. These attempts have always struck me as something like an art student copying a Picasso. Side 3 of Love You Live showed him in great "weaving" form, but it wasn't so much about solos. He also really gelled with the band on Some Girls with the twang and pedal steel. Live, unfortunately, he became kind of an appendage to Keith. It wasn't weaving anymore, it was Keith playing whatever he damn well pleased and Ronnie (when he was coherent) trying to find a space to do something in. Lately, his playing has sparkled, but it still really isn't in the solos. Having Taylor backstage while Ronnie tries to play All Down The Line is a travesty, in my opinion.

Date: April 22, 2014 21:03

Having Taylor backstage while Ronnie tries to play All Down The Line is a travesty thumbs up Wood's approach to Wild Horses is worst of all... Taylor would dance through it, and yeah I know who most people believe plays on the album..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 21:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:41

And here's Ron in his other band singing Honky Tonk Woman
No soloing but hilarious and clearly having terrific fun !

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 22:07 by EJM.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:46

Funny, I don't recall clicking on a "Why we hate Ron Wood circle jerk" topic.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:39

Doxa
kleermaker

- Doxa

I think Ron was a linesman, and a damn good one.

Date: April 22, 2014 23:11

DoomandGloom
Mathijs has baited us into yet another Wood/Taylor epic. It's quite ridiculous, yes you can search through the archives and find a moment where Wood connected two verses together, not quite 1 million monkey's with a million typewriters but not so far off. Hint if your in The Rolling Stones you should approach greatness every night, for instance Bobby Keys. Wood's tenure with the band is approaching 40 years, where in the actual catalog is there one solo that can stand next to Taylor's great solos, even on Black and Blue it's someone else. Yes he was put in the band for his image and Keith's wake up call. Yes Jagger played off Taylor, no doubt it's easier to enter a verse when the note leading in is a sweet one rather than a poorly bent one. Wood is a great rock star, a wonderful guy, why put him through this grinder of comparing him to one of a generations great soloists? If you watch Wood's CYHMK it says it all, 10 thousand dollar strat, greatest drummer for any guitar solo, Keith, Bobby, custom Fender amps, simply can't navigate through his instrument.

GS on LA Friday for starters.

It's not about standing next to anyone. Two different musicians. You should know and appriciate that. You did play with him once?

Date: April 22, 2014 23:13

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

It's not about standing next to anyone. Two different musicians. You should know and appriciate that. You did play with him once?
yeah I get carried away as a Taylor-holic..

Date: April 22, 2014 23:18

kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

One more element, about the weaving, is that standard tuning became the tuning of choice for Keith in this period - when writing and developing songs.

From the late 70s till the early 80s, there were very few open G-songs.

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

I think that's all, although a few TY-tracks were played in open G in the mid 70s.

ER must be the only album in this era completely without Keith's open G-guitar? Only one track on SG (Mick played open G on the title track, though).

I recall Keith saying in LIFE that Taylor affected to him as a song-maker, and he started to write songs Taylor in mind. Probably that meant sticking more to riffs and his OpenG routines, which gave a distinguished room for Taylor to add his thing - reflecting the traditional rhythm/lead guitar split. I take a song like "All Down The Line" being a paradigm example of that.

- Doxa

Keith wrote songs with Taylor in mind and you name All Down The Line. Sorry, but I don't buy that Keith nonsense. He didn't write ADTL with Taylor in mind, if you know the history of that song. What other songs did he write 'for Taylor'? None. Or do you mean songs like Moonlight Mile, the second part of Knocking, Winter, 100 Years Ago, Sway and TWFNO, really signature Richards songs? grinning smiley

You seem to mistake not being present while recording with not having anything to do with the song.

FYI, Keith plays on TWFNO (two guitars), and he wrote the verses. It is indeed a trademark Keith-song - until Taylor starts soloing on those two chords..

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:28

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

One more element, about the weaving, is that standard tuning became the tuning of choice for Keith in this period - when writing and developing songs.

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

I think that's all, although a few TY-tracks were played in open G in the mid 70s.

ER must be the only album in this era completely without Keith's open G-guitar? Only one track on SG (Mick played open G on the title track, though).

I recall Keith saying in LIFE that Taylor affected to him as a song-maker, and he started to write songs Taylor in mind. Probably that meant sticking more to riffs and his OpenG routines, which gave a distinguished room for Taylor to add his thing - reflecting the traditional rhythm/lead guitar split. I take a song like "All Down The Line" being a paradigm example of that.

- Doxa

Keith wrote songs with Taylor in mind and you name All Down The Line. Sorry, but I don't buy that Keith nonsense. He didn't write ADTL with Taylor in mind, if you know the history of that song. What other songs did he write 'for Taylor'? None. Or do you mean songs like Moonlight Mile, the second part of Knocking, Winter, 100 Years Ago, Sway and TWFNO, really signature Richards songs? grinning smiley

You seem to mistake not being present while recording with not having anything to do with the song.

FYI, Keith plays on TWFNO (two guitars), and he wrote the verses. It is indeed a trademark Keith-song - until Taylor starts soloing on those two chords..

That's right, although without Taylor's solos and repetitive scales the song would feel unfinished to me; he again merged perfectly with the Jagger/Richards ideas.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:57

IMO, CYHMK live version is purely the perfect illustration of what separates Ron and Mick Taylor...

Date: April 23, 2014 00:05

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

- Doxa

That's right, although without Taylor's solos and repetitive scales the song would feel unfinished to me; he again merged perfectly with the Jagger/Richards ideas.

His guitar themes are very important to that song, no doubt about that. But Keith's intro riff is perfect for the build-up as well. The acoustic is a nice touch, too.

Date: April 23, 2014 00:07

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

yeah I get carried away as a Taylor-holic..

grinning smiley

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:21

Jeeze am I the only one that enjoys RW's solo on CYHMK, he navigates just fine thank you so much. I am reminded that historically the group did not play this song live with Taylor, because after an attempt they could not get it to work. I also know that through the years set lists get trimmed as the group decided what works and what does not , and Mick has become an infamous nit picker on details. Yet through the Licks tour, CYHMK remained a staple of the shows, so obviously the Stones were happy with what they heard. So while an individual always has the right to say " I did not like that," to say RW can't play or navigate his instrument is a strong statement that several hundred thousand fans, the group, and obviously a production company that choose this video out of countless renditions as an OFFICIAL release just do not agree with.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 23, 2014 01:19

kahoosier
Jeeze am I the only one that enjoys RW's solo on CYHMK, he navigates just fine thank you so much. I am reminded that historically the group did not play this song live with Taylor, because after an attempt they could not get it to work. I also know that through the years set lists get trimmed as the group decided what works and what does not , and Mick has become an infamous nit picker on details. Yet through the Licks tour, CYHMK remained a staple of the shows, so obviously the Stones were happy with what they heard. So while an individual always has the right to say " I did not like that," to say RW can't play or navigate his instrument is a strong statement that several hundred thousand fans, the group, and obviously a production company that choose this video out of countless renditions as an OFFICIAL release just do not agree with.

I'm so glad somebody finally said something positive about Woody. I love his style and think he's played lots of great solos, both live and on the albums. He's no technical virtuoso like Taylor but he's got a down to earth rock and roll style, mistakes and all that rocks. And I also really dig his solo on CYHMK as done on 4 Flicks or Live Licks. He takes a lot of Taylors original lines and somehow makes them rock in his own nasty, dirty style. I love the guy's style.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 23, 2014 01:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
kahoosier

I'm so glad somebody finally said something positive about Woody. I love his style and think he's played lots of great solos, both live and on the albums. He's no technical virtuoso like Taylor but he's got a down to earth rock and roll style, mistakes and all that rocks. And I also really dig his solo on CYHMK as done on 4 Flicks or Live Licks. He takes a lot of Taylors original lines and somehow makes them rock in his own nasty, dirty style. I love the guy's style.

thumbs up

Date: April 23, 2014 01:39

kahoosier
Sorry, I love the Stones, Ronnie too, just lost perspective, I listened to TWFNO the other day and was caught in a Taylor trance. They are great with either, sometimes I think if I were to shout loudly enough we'd get all 3 together for the remainder of their many years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 01:43 by DoomandGloom.

Date: April 23, 2014 04:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
kahoosier

I don't think it's a matter of being "positive" or not. Wood is a great guitarist, and has had his moments of glory with the Stones (some of which I mentioned in this and many other threads). The problems begin when he steps anywhere near a Taylor-era song. Where Taylor sailed, Wood hacks and stabs. If anyone is to blame for unflattering comparisons to Taylor's playing, it's Wood himself. How many times have I seen the band play Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, or YCAGWYW and NOT thought wistfully of Taylor? Exactly zero. That said, I loved the Some Girls era with two (or often three) guitars colliding and mashing (I won't say the "w" word). Whip, Miss You, Beast, Dance, Before They Make Me Run. These are fine examples of when Wood's style was used to perfection, and I don't think Taylor would have improved any of those. Unfortunately for Wood, so much of the Stones classic canon was defined in the Taylor era, and as long as it's Wood there instead of Taylor you will have many people (including me) thinking they are getting something less than the premium product.

Date: April 23, 2014 06:03

I blame everything I wrote on Mathijs... Next he's going to post asking for favorite Italian war heroes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:02

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 10:03 by Doxa.

Date: April 23, 2014 10:17

DoomandGloom
I blame everything I wrote on Mathijs... Next he's going to post asking for favorite Italian war heroes.

But this time Mathijs was just stating the obvious: That Ronnie made Keith loosen up, and that BOTH guitarists were utilised in a more equal way.

It's only fair if anyone likes the dual attack more than the "one guitar god"-approach - just as vice versa, right?

Hardly controversial smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:26

kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, I do know something, but not much, of the evolution of "All Down The Line", from the base of its early versions, but it is just the final version that I had in my mind, pretty strongly dominated and lead by one of Keith's strongest rhythm guitar works, and Taylor playing his slide against it. It is one of the clearest examples of the clear split of rhythm vs. lead guitar in studio (similar to many of their 1972/73 live performances). I don't know how much Jagger had a hand in writing the music of the song, but I assume it is mostly from Keith's pen, based on the powerful run of the chords. Arrangewise they to my ears sound like asking a Taylor-like contribution to fill the sound, as a kind of counter-voice. So Keith in my mind would go on like "hmm... I just stick on the rhythm and take care of that, and I know Taylor will handle the rest". That kind of thinking I take Keith meaning by saying "writing songs Taylor in mind". By that time Keith had getting used to writing songs just based on riffs and guitar experiments, so I assume that knowing there is a gun like Taylor to be used there, could very easily have an affect on his creative processes. (My picture as well, like I tried to say above, is that Keith more and more sticking to the riff/Open G department also in studio as the years go by, might have caused by a lead guitar expert Taylor being around.)

Actually I don't see a particular reason why Keith would speak such a "nonsense". What would he gain of that?confused smiley

Do I make any sense?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 10:43 by Doxa.

Date: April 23, 2014 10:41

I think you're spot on here, Doxa.

I also think that kleerie is confusing his own personal favourites (which have minimal of Keith-participation) with being all the great Taylor-songs.

Taylor did shine on All Down The Line, If You Can't Rock Me, Dance Little Sister, Ventilator Blues and other typical Keith-songs as well - where there was plenty of room given for him to express himself smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:42

I never understood the ‘Taylor’ vs. Wood debate. Of course Taylor is a much better lead guitarist –on his peak in 1972 and 1973 Taylor was incredible, with fantastic melodic solo’s executed mesmerizing precisely. I do not recall one solo by Wood that has the same kind of emotion, melodic sense en technical prowess that can match any Taylor solo.

That said: a guitar solo is just that, a guitar solo. It’s 12 bars or 20 seconds in a piece of music of 5 minutes. And a great solo doesn’t make a mediocre piece of music any better. And that’s why I prefer the 1975 to 1982 period over the 1969 to 1973 period: I find the BAND much better in those later Ron Wood years. Yes I love the energy and shear excitement of 1972, yes I like the raw approach of that tour, but I find Charlie to be a much better drummer in 1975 and 1978, and Bill was at his absolute best in 1981. Richards was quite a boring rhythm player in 1973, and a fantastic lead and riff player in 1975 and 1978, and at his peak in 1981.

I just like the twin guitar attack of Wood and Richard s much better than the individual approach of Taylor and Richards. Years ago when I was in a Stones band, we found out that copying the Taylor years was much more easy than copying the Wood years. With the Taylor years it was easy to split the guitar parts and copy it precisely. With the Wood years that is much harder, and laying a good When the Whip Comes Down or Imagination turned out much more difficult than laying a 1973 version of Tumbling Dice down.

Even the Stones noticed this these days: they are quite o.k. in playing songs with a distinct rhythm and lead guitar, but that dual guitar attack of 1978 or 1981 is long gone, even for the Stones, with tragedies like Whip and Respectable.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 14:19 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home