Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 24, 2013 04:04

JimNitro
please let Mick Taylor back in the band and RECORD a new CD with him

At the very least, the reasons he left no longer exist. In fact, one could argue that this new gig of his has put him back in reasonably good health! While I would be very excited about the new CD you wish for, I'm not holding my breath. But who the hell knows with them these days? I always knew that Keith would get his act together for some gigs, but I didn't see this Taylor thing playing out. So....roll on.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 24, 2013 05:36

DandelionPowderman, FANTASTIC PICTURES!!

Posted by: JimNitro ()
Date: May 24, 2013 06:46

carlorossi
JimNitro

At the very least, the reasons he left no longer exist. In fact, one could argue that this new gig of his has put him back in reasonably good health! While I would be very excited about the new CD you wish for, I'm not holding my breath. But who the hell knows with them these days? I always knew that Keith would get his act together for some gigs, but I didn't see this Taylor thing playing out. So....roll on.

Well, I thought Taylor would forever be Exiled on Main Street from the Stones...Who's idea was it to bring him back??? Bloody Brilliant!!

Right now in my opinion, he's the Show!!!

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 24, 2013 07:22

JimNitro
Well, I thought Taylor would forever be Exiled on Main Street from the Stones...Who's idea was it to bring him back??? Bloody Brilliant!!

+1. Mick Taylor onstage with the Rolling Stones = renewed interest by fans = more ticket sales. I'm guestimating MT is > 1000% return on investment where he'd no doubt be getting a salary. That's good news for continuity of the MJ/KR/RW/CW 'wealth and taste' lifestyle funded by fans. Fans such as myself get to hear most of the same crew responsible for their live heyday. It's been a long time coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 07:29 by muffie.

Date: May 24, 2013 08:28

muffie
JimNitro

+1. Mick Taylor onstage with the Rolling Stones = renewed interest by fans = more ticket sales. I'm guestimating MT is > 1000% return on investment where he'd no doubt be getting a salary. That's good news for continuity of the MJ/KR/RW/CW 'wealth and taste' lifestyle funded by fans. Fans such as myself get to hear most of the same crew responsible for their live heyday. It's been a long time coming.

MT playing these classic songs the way they should be is making us long time Stones Fans speak in toungues!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:13

JimNitro
carlorossi
JimNitro

I think Jagger's always missed him, he said so in so many words in the 1995 RS Wenner interview...then he must have been thrilled by what he added to "Plundered My Soul" (in a few minutes he livened up an average track when Mick and Keith struggled for months to come up with licks of interest for ABB ) and then, well, they "winged it", Glimmer Stones style!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 13:33 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 24, 2013 13:29

<in a few minutes he livened up an average track when Mick and Keith struggled for months to come up with licks of interest for AB>

Do you really think so today, when listening to what Taylor played on that track?

Just asking, because I fail to hear that myself...

Date: May 24, 2013 13:39

Well put it this way, remove Taylor's guitar on PMS and what's left? Not much of interest I'm afraid ;-) But I'll listen to it again today. I also stand by my point about ABB although it's OT here, there are some good songs but the guitar licks are sorely lacking...other than that 5 second solo on "Dangerous Beauty" and some nice rythm guitar on LIND and I suppose RFD (both Mick's probably) there really isn't much to remember is there?

Date: May 24, 2013 13:48

gotdablouse
Well put it this way, remove Taylor's guitar on PMS and what's left? Not much of interest I'm afraid ;-) But I'll listen to it again today. I also stand by my point about ABB although it's OT here, there are some good songs but the guitar licks are sorely lacking...other than that 5 second solo on "Dangerous Beauty" and some nice rythm guitar on LIND and I suppose RFD (both Mick's probably) there really isn't much to remember is there?

Sure, the solo guitar helped a somewhat mediocre song. However, what was played wasn't really fluid or impressive - coming from Taylor, imo.

My theory is that this was more of a romantic and sentimental moment, than that of a musical highlight. Just my opinion, of course.

It's been awhile since I put on ABB, but Ronnies solo on Look What The Cat Dragged In moved me way more than Taylor's on PMS. That is indeed a stand out solo!

Ronnie also had a solo on It Won't Take Long, as well as the slide solo on RJ as you mentioned. + some really cool funky licks on She Saw Me Coming.

Keith solos on Let Me Down Slow as well. I like that one!

All these solos are pretty tasty, imo. No rocket science, but suitable for the songs they're on.

Date: May 24, 2013 14:46

Yeah I'd need to listen to ABB again, I guess I listened to it too much when it came out and now find it rather boring. Now that you mention them some of these guitar parts do come back to mind and I guess there's so much you can add to a somewhat lackluster song, but I still think that some tracks like ONNYA or BMistake could have used some more inspired playing to take them to another level...whether Taylor could have brought that is anyone's guess!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 24, 2013 19:06

A little late here,nothing new to add, but really cool to see the band having so much fun on CYHMK. The crowd got to witness something special.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:26

JimNitro
carlorossi
JimNitro

He is the Show stopper. Him and Jagger's harp and energy. The rest of the band is average at best.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:32

Jagger motioning to Mick to take a bow is so classic.

What did Jagger say to Richards and what did Richards really say in response?? I want to know!

Jagger's experssions are so funny. He acts like an eighth grader sometimes....very funny.

It think he was annoyed and doesn't enjoy disjointed solos and didn't think MT could tie it all together. That was all very spontaneous and it takes a virtuoso guitar player not to let that solo fall apart.

Only after he started to hit the final chords was MJ relieved and went towards the crowd and probably realized that MT truly hadn't lost much in the last 40 years.... genius.

Lastly, it seems like one of the two guitarists - Wood or Richards -takes the song off. I think a true 3 guitar attack is hard for them to enjoy or develop.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:56

I am leaving California, it's been so much fun doing the shows here. Thanks to everyone who came

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:59

bye bye johnny

I am leaving California, it's been so much fun doing the shows here. Thanks to everyone who came

[twitter.com]

Honestly, does it get any cooler than that?

Mick Jagger is King of his domain..... LONG LIVE THE KING!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 25, 2013 04:51

Dude's got a lot of kicks.

Date: May 25, 2013 08:22

duffydawg
JimNitro
carlorossi
JimNitro

He is the Show stopper. Him and Jagger's harp and energy. The rest of the band is average at best.

Well, I don't think the band is average...I think they're great, but in the music business and in the 'band' business how you all sound together is what is important...We all agree Mick Taylor is genius, but what did he do the last 35 years? Unfortunately not too much, because he didn't get in the right group. The Stones are perfect for him (he was good in John Mayall too), and he needs that backing to sound as good as he does....with Keith as the gritty open tuned rhythm guitarist and with Charlie's unique great drumming and Jagger's front man/vocal chops they're unbeatable...without each other they might just be above average players in mediocre bands, who knows? But Mick Taylor is the missing ingredient in the Stones and it's so nice to see him back...Ronnie is great too at times in the Stones, but why not try a 3 guitar band on all songs from now on? It worked for Skynyrd!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:34

duffydawg
JimNitro
carlorossi
JimNitro

FFS. Average compared to what?

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:35

Right, the Stones are nothing without M.T., compared to what he is without them..???

Date: May 25, 2013 10:12

People...they're back together now, let's enjoy it for what it's worth and it should mean a lot to fans! And yes I think he's back as they'll have in involved in some fashion whatever they do in the future!

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 13:01

thank you all for your positive comments. Some of you wrote me, that Charly is looking angry of one of my pics.

here ist a closup...
...(maybe mick taylor or bernard stepped on his feet on this moment ?) confused smiley

but seconds later he's looking happy again...smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2013 13:18

duffydawg
Jagger's experssions are so funny. He acts like an eighth grader sometimes....very funny.

It think he was annoyed and doesn't enjoy disjointed solos and didn't think MT could tie it all together. That was all very spontaneous and it takes a virtuoso guitar player not to let that solo fall apart.

Only after he started to hit the final chords was MJ relieved and went towards the crowd and probably realized that MT truly hadn't lost much in the last 40 years.... genius.

That's the kind of impression I also got. Jagger is no home with long, spontanous guitar solos, and I suppose the show director in him was worried what it would do for a show. But there is something spontaneus relief and joy in his behavior when he realizes that it all turned out to be alright, and actually did incredible kick for the show (hear the crowd response).

- Doxa

Date: May 25, 2013 14:28

But they have played this song numerous times with even longer solos before???

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home