Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:00

Munichhilton
duke richardson

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...

confused smiley

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:01

Well, I've just watched CYHMK for the third time. A little rough around the edges, but still a great performance. Not bad for a bunch of old guys. It give the rest of us hope.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:12

His Majesty
Munichhilton
duke richardson

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...

confused smiley

I know!

Date: May 21, 2013 21:14

barbabang
ablett
Frig me. Spine tingling?

Really, who would have thought three years ago that the Stones would be this great?

Indeed. What a comeback.

Amazing! They just have to take this one step further and record that one last great album! With Mick Taylor!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:16

Thanks. Great and objective review.

bigtyke66
A View From The Cheap Seats

Outstanding show last night. I’ve seen the Stones (only) three times now: Knebworth 1976, Hollywood Bowl 2005, and last night. So I don’t have the perspective of many others. But this one has to be the one for me. Got a couple of $85 tickets and was hoping for the best, but got the worst. No line and easy to get in. Good news for us was that there were at least a hundred people who actually had worse seats than us, but that was about it. I complained to guest services about the restricted view hoping for an upgrade, but was told it was totally sold out. It looked jammed from our panoramic viewpoint, and I couldn’t seen more than a handful of empty seat when the lights went down. So we had to just eat it. The sound was crap, but the vibe was great.

What a show! Pretty solid start, but then Jagger announces they’re going to do Sway with Mick Taylor! Wow! There was a bit of a wonky start, but then it got going. Outstanding. And then he comes back for CYHMK with Bobby Keys! Again a bit rough in places, but there you go; I’m not complaining. Midnight Rambler was just amazing; it really rocked! But the show and band (Chuck, Darryl, choir etc) as a whole was really strong, with a setlist I thoroughly enjoyed.

The highlights for me: obviously the extended Taylor involvement. He added a whole different dimension to the band, and he was just plain happy to be there. There was really good vibe between him and the rest of the band when he was on stage, and it was nice to see Jagger giving him a big pat on the back after Rambler (or was it CYHMK?) I also really enjoyed how well Ronnie played and sounded throughout the whole show (even from our high altitude seats). I’ve never really been a big fan of his, but he pushes things along really well. Jagger, well what can you say? Charlie, just amazing, how does he do this--the driving force. No guests: after a show like this, they should just drop the idea, or least be very choosy about who they bring in.

Not so great moments: You Got The Silver, another really fine song, but it just sounded a little bit of a wreck to me, but maybe that was the sound where we were. Sympathy just didn’t cut it. One of my all time favorites, but now there’s no menace (maybe hasn’t been for a long tome), and Keith is well … let’s just say that Taylor would have add a whole new dimension to the song if he had played. In fact the comparison between Rambler and SFTD is telling. With Taylor, it’s not just a bit of nostalgia for the old folks, there’s real power there. But I actually don’t think I would have like to have Taylor on the whole show-—many of the songs were great as they were. But a couple more with him would be perfect. Just my opinion.

Overall, a really, really great show that I’m glad we had chance to see. It probably won’t come around like this again.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:18

Tonyz
GumbootCloggeroo
Hey it's Jesse from Breaking Bad.

Yeah! Stones, bitch!

Ha haaaaa - good one, Tonyz!!

I never got into Mad Men - but Breaking Bad - woooooo....

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:20

Munichhilton
duke richardson

They are in a delightful panic, for once the music is in control. It's been a while for them but they will embrace it as it's a beautiful buzz...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:20

PhillyFAN
24FPS
DoomandGloom
Chuck was terrific on both as was Darrell.

Can someone explain to me what 'terrific' thing Darryl does? He never seems to get his shoulder into the music. I would say he spends his time trying to not intrude or impose. For the life of me I can't figure out what he's doing up there with this great cast of musicians. He kind of lays down some bass, but it's not particularly memorable. There's a space among the guitars where Bill would fill it with just the right note, or he would envelop the shambles, or propel the music.

I can't honestly say that Darryl's playing adds anything. Maybe other musicians dig what he's playing, but it doesn't translate to what matters, the fan's ears. And yeah, I know all about how he played with Miles Davis. If he's so well regarded, how come nobody clamors for him to play on their records, or on stage?
Where's his great jazz solo album? If he was replaced overnight, would it make any difference at all?

Darryl is not a member of the Stones neither are Chuck, Lisa, Bernard or Bobby. He was hired to play bass. The Stones apparently love his playing and he has been with the band since Bill left and records with them sometimes as well. They want him. That's his job to lay down the foundation along with Charley. I have read that Charley loves playing with him. He is not a "personality" as the Stones are.

Well, was Bill a 'personality'? I think it speaks more to the bands disdain, or ignorance of good bass playing. Yes, Darryl may lay down the basics, but that's not good enough in a band like the Stones. You expect all players to be excellent. At least Bill had personality in his playing. We expect Stones guitarists to be gunslingers. I guess great bass players are more rare than hot shot guitarists.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:27

kleermaker
something

I bothered to answer you seriously, and even dig up this links, yet....no answer was the reply. Don't ask me questions in the future then, if you're just a muppet.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:28

duke richardson
Neighbours
Can't You Hear Me Knocking:

Yeah that little piece of business is great. Even back it up about 20 seconds before that. Mick tries to get Ronnie to maybe cue MT to wrap up, but Ronnie keeps missing Mick's looks by a second. Eventually he's goes over to Keith, who seems to joke "Hey, I trying not to f*ck up my bit". Eventually Mick gets MT's attention and with a quick throat-slit gesture they are back on track. It's quite entertaining to watch them make it up, I mean really make it up on stage.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:31

Munichhilton
duke richardson

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...[/[/b]quote]

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like, I completely agree. Marvellous stuff ......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 21, 2013 21:32

Green Lady
Final setlist:

1 - Get Off Of my Cloud
2 - IORR
3 - Paint it Black
4 - Gimme Shelter
5 - All Down the Line
6 - Far Away Eyes
7 - Sway with Mick Taylor
8 - Doom and Gloom
9 - One More Shot
10 - Can´t You Hear me Knocking with Mick Taylor
11 - Honky Tonk Women
12 - You Got the Silver - Keith
13 - Before They Make me Run - Keith
14 - Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor
15 - Miss You
16 - Start me Up
17 - Tumbling Dice
18 - Brown Sugar
19 - Sympathy for the Devil
Encore
20 - You Can´t Always Get What You Want
21 - Jumping Jack Flash
22 - Satisfaction with Mick Taylor

Hey - where did ADTL come from? Maybe we'd better wait until that lazy monkey gets round to tweeting the post-show pic of the setlist.

Had no online access all day and am just reading through these pages and feeling VERY ENVIOUS of those people in LA last night. I hope they know how lucky they were. Now onto the remaining pages and some reviews, I hope.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:33

andrewt
duke richardson
Neighbours

Yeah that little piece of business is great. Even back it up about 20 seconds before that. Mick tries to get Ronnie to maybe cue MT to wrap up, but Ronnie keeps missing Mick's looks by a second. Eventually he's goes over to Keith, who seems to joke "Hey, I trying not to f*ck up my bit". Eventually Mick gets MT's attention and with a quick throat-slit gesture they are back on track. It's quite entertaining to watch them make it up, I mean really make it up on stage.

It's just wonderful to watch, totally mesmerizing ............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:33

Reagan
Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo.

I even thought CYHMK needed another minute, but that was mainly because it took Taylor so long to get into the good part of the groove. That will surely improve over time.

Only judging from the vids Sway was a total mess from all of them. And what does this mean that Taylor needed another minute and a half to get it going?

This ain't rehearsales or an extended jam session. This is real life. He has to be spot on.

Anyway, CYHMK sounded good, but still not that super dooper extra good.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:35

Roadster32
Reagan
Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo.

I even thought CYHMK needed another minute, but that was mainly because it took Taylor so long to get into the good part of the groove. That will surely improve over time.

Only judging from the vids Sway was a total mess from all of them. And what does this mean that Taylor needed another minute and a half to get it going?

This ain't rehearsales or an extended jam session. This is real life. He has to be spot on.

blah blah blah,people keep complaining.
Once the Stones have stopped, you are all crying your hearts out.
Be happy with these songs.
Jeroen

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:35

paulywaul
Munichhilton
duke richardson

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...[/[/b]quote]

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like, I completely agree. Marvellous stuff ......

optimist that i am, i thought it looked like Jagger was enjoying the hell out of it, and was gesturing to Keith as to say ..' ain't this some great shit!'

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:40

Theres no doubt Jagger knew the weight of the moment, but he'll want to get control of it before they play it again. He's a control freak...I quite like his harmonica playing on previous versions too so that was a shame...he needs to chill out and let Taylor play it out and even tag a harmonica solo on it...does he have a bus to catch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 21:41 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: bauk77 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:41

just from watching these Clips, this is fu**ing awesome!!!!!!!!!

they have to come to vienna :-)

Date: May 21, 2013 21:44

proudmary
Max'sKansasCity
Doxa
Max, with respect, I think you should respect a bit more other people's opinions. Or at least try to listen them (you clearly not seeing the point in recent Taylor reneissance - it has nothing to do with Ronnie.) You are turning to be the most negative poster in this site with your personal "anti-Taylorite" campaign, and you are not like that by constitution. I hope you could carry on more your positivist and cheerfull side, in which you are great.

- Doxa

And it is you who is not reading. I an NOT anti Taylor, there is no campaign. Ican live with all. Try to grasp that.

I partially agree with you, Max. And there is a group of posters who constantly bashing Jagger and they post 100 times every day. It makes a visit to this board not the most pleasant pastime. But really all this has nothing to do with the fact that Taylor who plays with the Stones is a great pleasure for all music lovers

And let's not forget the Keith bashers while we're at it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:53

The guitar bit on CYHMK is absolutely what I was hoping for.
MT is just enjoying it, and so are the Stones, and so am I.

Date: May 21, 2013 21:56

wicked67
wow great Taylor! Mick is telling Ronnie look and learn to play ...

Go home already.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:56

Munichhilton
Theres no doubt Jagger knew the weight of the moment, but he'll want to get control of it before they play it again. He's a control freak...I quite like his harmonica playing on previous versions too so that was a shame...he needs to chill out and let Taylor play it out and even tag a harmonica solo on it...does he have a bus to catch?

thumbs up excellent

and turn Bernard loose on them congas!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:57

bauk77
just from watching these Clips, this is fu**ing awesome!!!!!!!!!

they have to come to vienna :-)

and Amsterdam!!
Jeroen

Date: May 21, 2013 21:58

gotdablouse
One of the best Stones' moment ever and the bitching and over-analyzing kicks in almost immediately, sad, sad, sad...

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:00

Roadster32
Reagan
Fuman2

He didn't need another minute to get going. He *was* going. And could've kept going.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:07

Check out the fag/cig on MT's Gibson, just like the old days....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:07

Erik_Snow
kleermaker
something

I bothered to answer you seriously, and even dig up this links, yet....no answer was the reply. Don't ask me questions in the future then, if you're just a muppet.

I did answer.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:11

paulywaul
andrewt
duke richardson
Neighbours

Watch the look on Keith's face at 1.43 He looks not happy! (with Taylor showing him where the break is I guess) But it's no big deal Keith! There is a new dynamic on stage, and I think Taylor meant no harm, and Keith must lighten up. But maybe I'm seeing things which are not there. Anyway great dynamic on stage between all of them. Not too choreographed.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:17

barbabang
paulywaul
andrewt
duke richardson
Neighbours

Watch the look on Keith's face at 1.43 He looks not happy! (with Taylor showing him where the break is I guess) But it's no big deal Keith! There is a new dynamic on stage, and I think Taylor meant no harm, and Keith must lighten up. But maybe I'm seeing things which are not there. Anyway great dynamic on stage between all of them. Not too choreographed.

He was just caught by surprise ... smiled right afterward.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:21

Munichhilton

No doubt! He should cram a harp solo in at every change so we don't forget about him, and then he can control everything. He's like Dylan, he's great, but I don't think I want to meet him.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home