Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:10

His Majesty
Jagger doesn't sound so good on CYHMK and Sway.

They weren't his idea...we can only thank him for playing along which is what you are hearing...he stopped BOTH songs...or God did...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:14

Munichhilton
duke richardson

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...

Yeah Jagger clearly wants Taylor to go to the final bit of the solo. Amusing to watch! At 7.15 he signals to Taylor with his finger "slitting his throat" to end it. All in good fun clearly!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:32

ops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 03:54 by sabata.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:45

I think MT answered every reasonable critic. Can he solo? Can he play well with the band? Is the band better with him? Do they respect him? Do they know this meek guy is a ficking national treasure?

I have to give MJ, RW and KR props. In that video they gave him legitimate respect. I now look forward to the Chicago shows...

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:09

Wuudy
Munichhilton
duke richardson

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...

Yeah Jagger clearly wants Taylor to go to the final bit of the solo. Amusing to watch! At 7.15 he signals to Taylor with his finger "slitting his throat" to end it. All in good fun clearly!

After a dozen viewings, I'm 99% sure I know what he's saying too..."C'mon. Already!"..LOL...They're having a great time....beautiful to see...

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:10

I want to thank the person who posted that CYHMK clip.......It put a tear in my eye. The most amazing moment I have seen in decades. You know I am broke but after that I'm going to find a way to see them again.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:11

duffydawg
I think MT answered every reasonable critic. Can he solo? Can he play well with the band? Is the band better with him? Do they respect him? Do they know this meek guy is a ficking national treasure?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, maybe.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:25

palerider22
Wuudy
Munichhilton
duke richardson

After a dozen viewings, I'm 99% sure I know what he's saying too..."C'mon. Already!"..LOL...They're having a great time....beautiful to see...

Yeah, fun to watch them. So much better then when it is all orchestrated.

Midnight Rambler is by far my favorite version of this tour. Taylors solo really fitted the song, Jagger was on fire and Wood played a tremendous solo. Much better when it is a bit longer like this.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:45

It's worth noting how much more integrated MT is into the band and overall groove than back on the PPV ... much more relaxed

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:55

slew
I am getting goose bumps watching and listening to MT on CYHMK awesome!!! Keith did pretty well on this himself. They are inspired on this one!! Vegas act what a load of crock that is!!!!

Yes, I noticed some years falling off Keith there as well. If Keith Ronnie and Taylor continue to get locked in with each other, we ain't in Vegas no more!

Date: May 22, 2013 05:01

SweetThing
slew
I am getting goose bumps watching and listening to MT on CYHMK awesome!!! Keith did pretty well on this himself. They are inspired on this one!! Vegas act what a load of crock that is!!!!

Yes, I noticed some years falling off Keith there as well. If Keith Ronnie and Taylor continue to get locked in with each other, we ain't in Vegas no more!

What you are saying is that there is some real guitar playing going on within the Stones these days!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 22, 2013 05:42

man, MT does some great playing before 7:07, but just check out that rapport happening between MJ, KR and MT...the facial expressions, and think back to the incredible sounds these 3 made together in '69, '72, '73, it's such a historic grouping, that really shows its colors in a moment like this. So cool that it's come full circle.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 22, 2013 05:52

Munichhilton
His Majesty

They weren't his idea...we can only thank him for playing along which is what you are hearing...he stopped BOTH songs...or God did...

Used to be spray painted all over London,"Jagger is god"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 22, 2013 06:53

Thought that was Eric Clapton

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 07:02

True Masters. Demonstrating 50 years of rock & roll domination in one show.

Date: May 22, 2013 07:52

slew
Thought that was Eric Clapton

Ask Mick. winking smiley

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:27

What I am impressed with is how much fun Taylor looks like he is having , especially when he does his bit of prancing around the stage. He has never done this at any show of his own I have seen and stood still for years with the Stones. And OMG during CYHMK we actually saw the Rolling Stones as a guitar driven group again. LOL and it looked a little tough on Mick to even put his ego into the back seat for that Short of a time

Date: May 22, 2013 09:43

duffydawg

I have to give MJ, RW and KR props. In that video they gave him legitimate respect. I now look forward to the Chicago shows...

The band is better on CYHMK with him, not on every song. The songs that need an extended solo are made for Mick Taylor, if he keeps up like this.

Date: May 22, 2013 09:50

Everyone raves about the solo, but to me, CYHMK is all about that wicked Keith riff, that he is a bit suspect on at times. To me, MT's biggest new contrbution is Sway......loved the parts where he nailed the original solo.......and of all people, it seems like Mick can't handle that one.........or he doesn't want to.

Date: May 22, 2013 09:50

His Majesty

Jagger is excellent on Sway, imo. He found the right phrasing. On CYHMK he's just saving breath and a little early all the time to avoid long notes etc.

Date: May 22, 2013 10:00

I can be patient, if they can be aggressive

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 22, 2013 10:14

Green Lady
Final setlist:

1 - Get Off Of my Cloud
2 - IORR
3 - Paint it Black
4 - Gimme Shelter
5 - All Down the Line
6 - Far Away Eyes
7 - Sway with Mick Taylor
8 - Doom and Gloom
9 - One More Shot
10 - Can´t You Hear me Knocking with Mick Taylor
11 - Honky Tonk Women
12 - You Got the Silver - Keith
13 - Before They Make me Run - Keith
14 - Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor
15 - Miss You
16 - Start me Up
17 - Tumbling Dice
18 - Brown Sugar
19 - Sympathy for the Devil
Encore
20 - You Can´t Always Get What You Want
21 - Jumping Jack Flash
22 - Satisfaction with Mick Taylor

Hey - where did ADTL come from? Maybe we'd better wait until that lazy monkey gets round to tweeting the post-show pic of the setlist.

In haste at work:

I have not read much of this thread, I must admit.

What a setlist. And to have Mick Taylor taking a greater part and in those songs (7 and 10, in addition to 14 and 22). To receive no. 6 and 14, and to keep the new songs 8 and 9.

Simply, thank you. Wondering even more what will happen at Hyde Park on July the 13th.

Hoping that the "the surprise songs" of these concerts will be released in a live album later on (or a live part of an album).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2013 10:35

What's coming at Hyde Park ? "Time Waits For No One" as the second to last encore and then a good shot of "Start Me Up"!

paulm
What's even cooler about this is that MT is bringing what some would call his "jazz fusion" to the table (2:26-36 being one example); something he has developed all the years away from the Stones. It is an entirely new dimension for the band, and it's basically shoving a hot poker up all their respective @sses. I so hope this continues.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of "jazz fusion" but that section of the solo in Sway is really appealing (for lack of a better word), there aren't many other guitar players who mix things up like this, Beck of course did in the 70s, and Birelli Lagrene to some extent but he lacks the rock edge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 10:36 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:09

Sway is great and Mick Taylor was great and Mick sang it pretty good.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:17

Jagger doesn't feel 'Sway' at all, and that's the real problem here. He sings it like a pop song. Mick Taylor should have been given a few minutes of extended guitar soloing at the end. Carla Olsen understood the song's mood so much more than Jagger, and her's remains the definitive live version for me. Mick Taylor is sounding so much more integrated with the rest of the group here, although what i love about him is his freshness and improvisation. Jagger aside, these performances no longer sounds like the-stones-by-numbers.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:28

Edward Twining
Jagger doesn't feel 'Sway' at all, and that's the real problem here. He sings it like a pop song. Mick Taylor should have been given a few minutes of extended guitar soloing at the end.

Agree completely. Of course some posters here will be outraged for you mentioning that

Though Jagger's singing is the worst thing about Sway.....at least he sings it better than he did in 2005-2007

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:33

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:48

"Sway" does sound a lot better than it did in 2006. Thank you MT!

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:06

Just heard the solo on "Sway" grinning smileygrinning smiley absolutely incredible..I'll admit that as a bass obsesse who much prefers listening to rhythm guitar rather than lead, I wasn't that bothered about how much Taylor played....I have changed my mind.

On a personal level though, "Sway" to me will always be that thumping Wyman and Watts undercurrent!

Date: May 22, 2013 12:10

hbwriter
Tonyz
Any updates or is this just the shortest show ever?

hahaha
yeah, the bloom is off the rose when it comes to show coverage - no stones tweets - nothing much here - what happened??

I like that expression but had never heard it: "the bloom is off the rose". I need to use it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home