Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:18

gotdablouse
Doxa
This is simply incredible. Not just to have such dark masterpieces as "Sway", "Knocking" and "Rambler" all in the set list, but having Mick Taylor on there.... I think thost three songs were in my dream list when we were dreaming about Taylor doing a three song set, but honestly, I couldn't believe that could turn real any day.

Seeing and hearing "Midnight Rambler" last fall was the biggest singular surprising (in quality) live experience from The Stones I had for years and years, and now dying to see the evidence if the euphoria continues....

A Christmas in May...

- Doxa

This, the question is will we want more Taylor or would we settle for this? Hehe...So far they've kept his spots, maybe only one this time though?

So no one from IORR went or they still busy "The Perfume" style after witnessing a modern day miracle ;-)

Honestly, I am satisfied with this "victory" but maybe asking more would might be a good tactical move - in order to keep the conquered field as it is now.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:19

Oh. My. God.

Sway, CYHMK AND Rambler WITH MICK TAYLOR.

Talk about a dream come true.

Please, PLEASE do this in Boston next month. I can die a happy man if I get to see this.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:19

Lots of fun hanging out with you all tonight, folks. It seems the Rolling Stones are still capable of surprising us.

Date: May 21, 2013 10:27

DandelionPowderman
Maybe they're thinking that Taylor gets more songs when they don't have other guests?

Could be... like a compensation or a firm substitute. At least "Sway" sounds like filling up the guest slot. But if that is the case I hope they have running out of (other) guests...

- Doxa

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:29

yeah man... what a night

Date: May 21, 2013 10:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Maybe they're thinking that Taylor gets more songs when they don't have other guests?

Could be... like a compensation or a firm substitute. At least "Sway" sounds like filling up the guest slot. But if that is the case I hope they have running out of (other) guests...

- Doxa

Sway was the song by request, I think.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:33

21st live version of Sway, and 1st with Taylor w/ RS

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:34

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Depending on which guests they get, and which songs are chosen, Taylor may be even be requested/suggested by another guest (assuming a polite opportunity would present itself).

Date: May 21, 2013 10:34

Comment from Slash on Facebook, re the show:

- Just saw a brilliant set by the Stones at Staples. Genuinely inspiring. They sounded amazing. & real. Love that!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:37

Well, some of us have to go to work. See you later.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:37

71Tele
Not the whole show, but the mini-set idea was the right one, I think, even though they spaced out his songs tonight. Wouldn't make much sense for Taylor to play on something like Miss You.

Honestly, if that's the case... I'm glad there are no videos! (Although we both know some will turn up on You Tube!)

So happy to see 4 MT songs... AWESOME. Hope Keith's hands are alright.

Date: May 21, 2013 10:38

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Sway was the song by request, I think.

But was it "Beast of Burden" also? I wouldn't take those too literally...

- Doxa

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:39

Giving it a little more thought now that I'm recovering from the "shock"...is this possibly the best Stones setlist EVER ?! Yeah the 72/73 setlists were good but some songs weren't around and they were short, and then after that Taylor was...gone. I guess Taylor on GS and ADTL would have sealed the deal for me!

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:41

Just returned from Staples. Thought I'd share some stream of consciousness impressions before I get some sleep...

I was seated in the Premier Section 18 with a side of stage view. Great seats and sound for the "flex rate" $150 price offered last week...was able to see entire band, including Charlie, in a different perspective from the other shows this tour. (No stage video board, but I can live without that after seeing three other shows this month, the last 2 from $85 nosebleeds in LV and Anaheim where one essentially spends most of the concert watching the video board.)

Really enjoyed beginning of the show, and hearing Faraway Eyes first time this tour, but little did I realize what was to come. Saw MT standing behind Charlie's drum kit and thought this was interesting to see him this early. Then he comes out and MJ says they are now going to do Sway with Mick Taylor. Say what?!? Best rendition I have heard (heard it a few times last tour)...MT crushed the solo. Then...during One More Shot, I look behind Charlie's kit and see MT standing there again, guitar in hand. Really had no idea what was coming up now. Comes on stage and we hear the first notes of CYHMK. Unbelievable...great version and a super reception by the crowd.

Didn't expect to have that followed up by Rambler, but it was great to hear that one yet again with MT, followed by the rest of the show. (Thought Rambler may have been more enjoyable at LV, but it's so difficult to compare...little nuances in each version make it worthwhile to hear night after night.)

In summary, simply incredible show...awesome set list...band was fantastic! I would say among the best of the twenty-odd shows I have seen since 1981...right up there with the 2006 Forum show during ABB tour...and certainly best of the 4 shows I've seen this month (both Staples shows, Las Vegas and Anaheim last Saturday night).

Looks like the Stones are hitting their stride as they leave CA. Hope those that get to see them in their remaining shows enjoy them as much as I have as they continue the tour.

Date: May 21, 2013 10:45

Thanks jmd for your description! I am sure there were lots of stunned fans... And that "superb reception" of CYHMK is music to my ears, living for future, and knowing Jagger...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 10:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:49

jmd
Just returned from Staples. Thought I'd share some stream of consciousness impressions before I get some sleep...

I was seated in the Premier Section 18 with a side of stage view. Great seats and sound for the "flex rate" $150 price offered last week...was able to see entire band, including Charlie, in a different perspective from the other shows this tour. (No stage video board, but I can live without that after seeing three other shows this month, the last 2 from $85 nosebleeds in LV and Anaheim where one essentially spends most of the concert watching the video board.)

Really enjoyed beginning of the show, and hearing Faraway Eyes first time this tour, but little did I realize what was to come. Saw MT standing behind Charlie's drum kit and thought this was interesting to see him this early. Then he comes out and MJ says they are now going to do Sway with Mick Taylor. Say what?!? Best rendition I have heard (heard it a few times last tour)...MT crushed the solo. Then...during One More Shot, I look behind Charlie's kit and see MT standing there again, guitar in hand. Really had no idea what was coming up now. Comes on stage and we hear the first notes of CYHMK. Unbelievable...great version and a super reception by the crowd.

Didn't expect to have that followed up by Rambler, but it was great to hear that one yet again with MT, followed by the rest of the show. (Thought Rambler may have been more enjoyable at LV, but it's so difficult to compare...little nuances in each version make it worthwhile to hear night after night.)

In summary, simply incredible show...awesome set list...band was fantastic! I would say among the best of the twenty-odd shows I have seen since 1981...right up there with the 2006 Forum show during ABB tour...and certainly best of the 4 shows I've seen this month (both Staples shows, Las Vegas and Anaheim last Saturday night).

Looks like the Stones are hitting their stride as they leave CA. Hope those that get to see them in their remaining shows enjoy them as much as I have as they continue the tour.

Very nice, thank you for this report! This is history and we are part oft that thumbs up!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:51

Thank you jmd

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:53

What a night, how many surprises!
Great review, jmd, thanks a lot.

I wonder where all those people who claimed that Jagger had planned the whole tour specifically as punishment for Richards?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:57

Thanks for the report, "seeing MT behind Charlie" -> priceless!

Date: May 21, 2013 10:58

proudmary

I wonder where all those people who claimed that Jagger had planned the whole tour specifically as punishment for Richards?

Sorry proudmary, but I lost your logic here.

By the way, what is your take on this Taylor thing? I recall not hearing it. Not a bad thing from a Jaggerian point of view, huh?

- Doxa

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:59

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Ummm very difficult choice Sway or Lady Gaga (or any other guest)...Not. What a setlist last night WOW.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:00

All I can say is, Wow! Am I glad I was there to witness this!smileys with beer

Thanks for the review, jmd! thumbs up

The fact that the Stones still can pull off stuff like this (such big changes in the setlist) is nothing but impressive smileys with beer

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()

On twitter

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 21, 2013 11:02

gotdablouse
Thanks for the report, "seeing MT behind Charlie" -> priceless!

Yeah, such a contrast to those vibes I got when 71Tele was describing Taylor standing behind Charlie just watching The Stones to play "his" number...

- Doxa

Posted by: benroyblenkle ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:07

Rolling Hansie
On twitter

OMG this was one of the best RS shows I've ever seen

I dont like Staples Center for concerts but it @#$%& sounded great and looked great and WAS GREAT!!!!!!

Magic night magic night magic night

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:14

Doxa
proudmary

By the way, what is your take on this Taylor thing? I recall not hearing it. Not a bad thing from a Jaggerian point of view, huh?

- Doxa

I honestly do not understand how can there be a controversy over Taylor participation - this is pure joy and delight. More - better! Sway is one of my all time favorite songs, I hope they did it justice.
concerning what I say about "punishment" - there was a long discussion how Mick brings guests only to punish and humiliate Richards - and if you do not believe you can check Anaheim-2 May 18 thread

Posted by: Cassius11 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:17

My head would have exploded If I was there tonight.
SWAY and CYHMK
Not to get too sappy, but I have been dreaming this, putting this idea out into the universe for a long time, when it was just a pipe dream. I know tens of thousands of other folks across the globe have all been vibing for the same thing
Congrats to all that were there, and those who were there in spirit. The folks who made noise on this board and elsewhere to bring it home and make this a reality, lastly gratitude to Jagger/ Richards for sharing this and making our biggest Stones dream a reality.
C

Too much to ask for a repeat Chicago night 1? and to see to it That every living blues legend in Chitown gets a debilitating cold, preventing the inevitable blues guest/cover song(s)

Date: May 21, 2013 11:19

proudmary
Doxa
proudmary

- Doxa

I honestly do not understand how can there be a controversy over Taylor participation - this is pure joy and delight. More - better! Sway is one of my all time favorite songs, I hope they did it justice.
concerning what I say about "punishment" - there was a long discussion how Mick brings guests only to punish and humiliate Richards - and if you do not believe you can check Anaheim-2 May 18 thread
thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 11:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:31

Just got the news about last night's set list here in the UK where it's 9.30am. Incredible list of songs. If it came off then I'd say this was probably the best set list featured in a concert since 72/73.

Just look what we got Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Sway, Can't You Hear me Knocking and Satisfaction with Mick Taylor, and also Far Away Eyes, All Down The Line, You Got The Silver....I mean those songs alone would feature in many people's dream wish lists. Can't wait for the videos to come through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 11:42 by Silver Dagger.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home