Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:11

treaclefingers
andrewt
sabata
Sway

Jagger needs to belt this one out more I feel. The song also just kinda....ends without ever really taking off. Not as mind blowing as CYHMK but it's Sway with Mick Taylor so bonus points right there. (Woody's solo ain't half bad either)

Respectfully disagree...both Mick's were excellent on this one.

Mick Taylor sounded great; I would have loved to have been there. Jagger comes in off key after Taylor's solo, which kind of deflates the ending, but he corrects himself at the end. No one's perfect.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:11

treaclefingers
The idea of buying yet another Live CD/DVD of latter day stones was really questionable up until this show.

I'll be in line now.

Don't discount all the illegal downloading possibilities such a release could bring into play...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:12

svt22

I'm not nuts.

No, he doesn't shine musical wise.. He's a shade of his former self. I'm too much of a Taylor fan, I'm too familiar with his playing to deny it. But to see him shining and having fun as a guitarist on stage, that's great, but something completely different.

Gotta say that I kind of agree with you, to a certain extent.

What goes far beyond the technical aspect is the attitude of these old rockers. They are old, out of date, but, as band, they still rock hard as hell. Its like the last charge of Italian cavalry in Russia during wwii: swords against machine guns, but ahead they go!

C

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:15

Pfff. Breathtakingy good! Speechless... Wat a set! And great versions too. Wat a blistering performance of CYHMK and Sway was very good too (and will be even better next time!) This got to be the best performance of well a long long time. They still got it! What a great band!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:16

treaclefingers
andrewt
sabata
Sway

Jagger needs to belt this one out more I feel. The song also just kinda....ends without ever really taking off. Not as mind blowing as CYHMK but it's Sway with Mick Taylor so bonus points right there. (Woody's solo ain't half bad either)

Fair enough. I guess I'm with Thrylan that Mick T was just getting warmed up and then it ended. He was great but it was frustratingly short. Jagger of course is pro but my view is the delivery needs some more drama, a little more gutbucket soul, than what I saw, he kinda traipsed through it like it was She's So Cold. That last verse needs to explode with emotion to be Sway-worthy.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:17

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

Taylor didn't lose anything, he blended in improvised parts, instead of playing the album solo. A good thing, imo.

How can you say this as a musician that I respect a lot ?

He lost it, the fluidity, his timing, his sound? And he never ever played the same solo twice anyway ?

Well, I really liked it. And my expectations weren't that high, to be honest. That may have helped.

About the sound, lots of the treble comes from the PA they're using. Keith's guitars, for instance, doesn't sound like they used to either.

This is a song that Taylor has been playing like this for years. Now, he added some of his parts from his solo shows to the Stones track and the original solo.

I liked it, and you should cut him some slack - he's in his 60s, and he won't be playing flawlessly every night. I thought many parts of this solos were great, maybe with the exception of the part where he was lifting some Santana-licks (listen to "Guajira" on Santana III).

All in all I thought this was a great moment in Stones history. Sway wasn't that good in comparison, though, although I liked Mick's singing and the guitar solos.

When he gets his different parts sorted out, and gets used to the groove - when the Stones play this track, he'll get even better, imo.

Thanks for your advice, that's probably the best way to deal with it, in my case. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:17

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
The idea of buying yet another Live CD/DVD of latter day stones was really questionable up until this show.

I'll be in line now.

Don't discount all the illegal downloading possibilities such a release could bring into play...

I know there is a reason, and maybe it's even a good reason, but I'd like to know why the integration of MT has been so gradual?

MT wouldn't have gone on tour with the band to guest just on one song, so there had to be a conversation that had him becoming a larger part at some point...Keith said as much.

Why I wonder, wait...it's vexing.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:20

>>>What goes far beyond the technical aspect is the attitude of these old rockers. They are old, out of date, but, as band, they still rock hard as hell. Its like the last charge of Italian cavalry in Russia during wwii: swords against machine guns, but ahead they go!

thumbs up

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:20

Maybe MT is rusty, he has been doing small venues.

anyway, love to Green Lady and all for the setlists.

Date: May 21, 2013 17:22

@ DP: And I hereby apologize for the insults I pointed at you. Whether you accept them or not is up to you.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:28

All I can say, I was eighty miles away and broke, so I missed it.

Man, I wish I'd been there.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Date: May 21, 2013 17:29

svt22
@ DP: And I hereby apologize for the insults I pointed at you. Whether you accept them or not is up to you.

Considered the hatched as buried! thumbs up

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:32

71Tele
This just in: Taylorites rampaging through the streets of Los Angeles, demanding he be fully reinstated.

hot smiley Post of the decade !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:34

svt22
Mel Belli

You're freaking nuts, dude.
And the moments where the tunes are a bit "spongy," it's not because of Taylor. He shines on both.

I'm not nuts.

No, he doesn't shine musical wise.. He's a shade of his former self. I'm too much of a Taylor fan, I'm too familiar with his playing to deny it. But to see him shining and having fun as a guitarist on stage, that's great, but something completely different.

Comparing Taylor's playing now to what he did when he was 25 is ... nuts.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:37

GrandToad
All I can say, I was eighty miles away and broke, so I missed it.

Man, I wish I'd been there.

Well, I may not be broke, but I'm 5000 miles away, so we're in the same boat - I also wish I'd been there.

Even on those cell phone videos, the guitar on CYHMK is unmistakably Mick Taylor - after all these years, I find it a bit surreal.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:41

I thought Taylor was simply great on both tunes. Would love to see them keep playing these songs, each time it would get a bit better. And they might let his Sway finishing solo actually end properly.

Going to be very interesting what they do with Taylor from now. I wouldn't be surprised if these were one-offs, or they might only reappear a few more times through the rest of the shows, but that's still cool.

Date: May 21, 2013 17:48

DandelionPowderman

Considered the hatched as buried! thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:50

andrewt
muenke
I give a shit about those who still complain ... I´m lucky not to be a musician, just an old fan with bad ears, not able to hear those guys f&$§ing up on stage! Keep on rolling!smileys with beer

I've been reading this thread and I really can't see anything that I'd call complaining. At all. It's a Straw Man. Getting (or gepping) everyone's different take on this is the interesting part and noone should feel they need to censor themselves if they are sharing their honest feelings and observations.

OK, I think you are right with that one ... actually I can´t stand any criticism concerning these songs, I´m just so excited! You know, the thing with the dream come true ....

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:54

Sway ver.2

sorry this is same one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 03:29 by sabata.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:58

Mel Belli
Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo. Really hope they continue to play Sway.

Oh, yeah; he was just rolling up his sleeves. Still marvelous, I thought.

Yeah, marvelous indeed. What a thrill to have been there and see it happen. Just the fact that they mixed up their setlist bodes well for the rest of the tour. 4 songs with MT is a great start.

Posted by: sonomastone ()

Mel Belli
svt22
Mel Belli

And the moments where the tunes are a bit "spongy," it's not because of Taylor. He shines on both.

I'm not nuts.

I'm pretty new here but my impression was the main purposes of this board is to compare and contrast stones of recent eras to the 69 and 72-73 eras?

In all seriousness though great to see everyone come together and enjoy a great stones moment. Now if only you all would cut KR some slack.

Mel Belli
svt22
Mel Belli

I'm not nuts.

That might be true winking smiley, but it doesn't disprove my initial statement.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:59

andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
sabata
Sway

Fair enough. I guess I'm with Thrylan that Mick T was just getting warmed up and then it ended. He was great but it was frustratingly short. Jagger of course is pro but my view is the delivery needs some more drama, a little more gutbucket soul, than what I saw, he kinda traipsed through it like it was She's So Cold. That last verse needs to explode with emotion to be Sway-worthy.
Jagger should have let Taylor play 1-2 more minutes - the highpoint of the song was just about to start.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:14

bye bye johnny

Mick Taylor just popped in for a chat ~ not long to go before the gig #Staples We're talking about Jimi Hendrix ~

[twitter.com]

My new screensaver!

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:16

Sympathy for the Devil
[www.youtube.com]

Jumpin Jack Flash
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:16

Sway: A ragged beginning, a ragged finish, a slightly clipped solo and glorious! Reminds me of T&F in '72, it hits a stride. The flaws are proof of its authenticity. Kudos to all guitarists. It had punch. A big sigh of relief for this tour. Don't blame Taylor for ever over playing. Blame Jagger. Notice how Jagger called the shots here. He always has with respect to Taylor. He cuts Taylor short here, but if he wants Taylor to play, he'll play. That was wonderful!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:17

on sway - MT needs to play the extended outro solo or the song will not work live especially if RW plays the first slide solo.

They gave him the time on CYHMK and look what he did - i loved when they got into the outro riff at the end of the song and MT had his back to the audience as he looked at the band in front of him. It was like he was taking the band on his shoulders and saying - Yeah Can You Hear Me Playing after all these years.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:19

Fuman2
Mel Belli
Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo. Really hope they continue to play Sway.

Oh, yeah; he was just rolling up his sleeves. Still marvelous, I thought.

Yeah, marvelous indeed. What a thrill to have been there and see it happen. Just the fact that they mixed up their setlist bodes well for the rest of the tour. 4 songs with MT is a great start.

I miss rapping with you, Fuman!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:29

OK, just got home and listened to Sway
Luckily, Jagger has stopped singing "one day I woke up tooooooooo find" , he must have read StonesTod comments on IORR in 2005

I think Taylor's solo is way too short, they need to make it longer if they are gonna continue having this in the setlist. Then again....Taylor needs more attempts before he gets it right; just like he needed on Rambler. But despite all of this, it's great to hear this; and considering it's the premiere of Sway on this tour, and the premiere with Taylor, it's very good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 18:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: May 21, 2013 18:30

Let that boy play guitar!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home