Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17
Re: To The Rolling Stones: We Want A New Album In 2014!
Date: May 27, 2013 06:59

No Expectations
JumpinJackOLantern
No Expectations
JumpinJackOLantern
No Expectations
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
The End

that'll be the day...

The hardcore fan base has spoken, and there seems to be very little interest in a new Stones album. So it's over. At least as far as their hardcore fan base is concerned. If the Stones decide that they want to do a new album it will be because they want to, and that's the way it should be anyway.

Why would anyone want a new album. Bigger Bang came out in 2005. How many times have you played it since the tour ended in 2007? For me the answer is ZERO!

To be perfectly honest I have listened to all the songs on this album numerous times more than I listen to HTW and Brown Sugar since 2007. Never did like those two songs. In ten years ABB will be understood.

I'm afraid you are in the minority on this one. I'd say in ten years it would be completely forgotten except it already is.

The thing I have always liked about music is that it can take you back to a specific time. ABB takes me back to the mid to late 2000's. Satanic back to 1967. ABB has actually grown on me some in recent times. It reflects where the band was during that time period. It's a bit somber, but Charlie was going through his cancer treatment at the time when Mick and Keith began work on it. So maybe that had a certain influence on it. I think you will be surprised that in about ten years it will have grown in stature. Could very well be the last album that Mick and Keith actually worked on together. That alone, makes it historically significant.

Not saying I hate it. It has its merits. But Ronnie barely plays on half of it. Overall I just find it near the bottom as Stones albums go.

It's definitely not a "feel good" album like (say, for example) the Some Girls bonus tracks are. And it has way too many songs on it. If they had trimmed it down to about ten or eleven songs I think it would have been received much better by the hardcore fan base. My favorite song is She Saw Me Coming. It's about the only "feel good" song on the album. Laugh, I Nearly Died is a classic in my opinion.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 27, 2013 07:14

Back in the day of vinyl bands only needed 8-10 great songs. Average album was probably 40-45 minutes long. Now with the advent of CD's it takes more songs to fill the media.

Date: May 27, 2013 07:31

No Expectations
Back in the day of vinyl bands only needed 8-10 great songs. Average album was probably 40-45 minutes long. Now with the advent of CD's it takes more songs to fill the media.

Bob Dylan's latest has ten songs on it. That would be the perfect number for the Stones final album.

Date: May 28, 2013 02:49

JumpinJackOLantern
No Expectations

Bob Dylan's latest has ten songs on it. That would be the perfect number for the Stones final album.

No, I haven't thrown in the towel just yet. The fans obviously couldn't care less, at least the vast majority of them anyway. So what's a poor boy to do? How can I can convince Mick how important it is to finish up with a classic Stones album?

Date: May 28, 2013 02:54

Sorry, in hindsight, I should have said: I And 50 Others Want A New Album In 2014!

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: May 28, 2013 05:15

How stupid,to pay 16 Euro for 10 songs instead of 16 or 18 songs ?

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: May 28, 2013 05:16

in 2013!!!!

Date: May 28, 2013 06:34

rusty

It's not about quantity, it's about quality. The Stones' best albums were almost ALWAYS around 40-47 minutes long (Exile being the exception). I prefer a 40-45 minute long album to a 60-70 minute long album any day of the week! Why pay for all that filler? 16 Euro is fine for 10 songs if they're the RIGHT 10 songs. Paying 16 Euro for 16-18 songs and having to skip at least 6 piles of crap or mediocrities just seems silly to me. winking smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 28, 2013 11:34

JumpinJackOLantern
No Expectations

It is true; but it is also true that there are songs of 6, 7 and 13 minutes long

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2013 11:46

JumpinJackOLantern
No Expectations

Dylan is a funny guy in that sense that he never turned himself to a CD mood, and not started taking thee advantages of that format, which usually means the quantity goes over quality. No, he just pick up those 10 to 12 songs as usual, and that's it.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2013 11:53

Dylan is a funny guy in that sense that he never turned himself to a CD mood

Time Out Of Mind ran over the 70 minute mark ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2013 13:18

Rockman
Dylan is a funny guy in that sense that he never turned himself to a CD mood

Time Out Of Mind ran over the 70 minute mark ....

Oh, is that so long? I never thought about it, since it is so damn strong album.

- Doxa

Date: May 28, 2013 23:14

dedospegajosos
in 2013!!!!

The sooner the better.

Date: May 28, 2013 23:18

CanYouHearTheMusic
rusty

It's not about quantity, it's about quality. The Stones' best albums were almost ALWAYS around 40-47 minutes long (Exile being the exception). I prefer a 40-45 minute long album to a 60-70 minute long album any day of the week! Why pay for all that filler? 16 Euro is fine for 10 songs if they're the RIGHT 10 songs. Paying 16 Euro for 16-18 songs and having to skip at least 6 piles of crap or mediocrities just seems silly to me. winking smiley

I agree. Do ten six or seven minute songs. As long as they are all good to great.

Date: May 28, 2013 23:50

They need to use some of their greatest songs as models for a new album. That doesn't mean to copy them, but sequels to Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Jumpin Jack Flash, When The Whip Comes Down, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Moonlight Mile, Lady Jane, Street Fighting Man and other classics would be a winning strategy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 19:47 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2013 05:49

JumpinJackOLantern
The thing I have always liked about music is that it can take you back to a specific time. ABB takes me back to the mid to late 2000's. Satanic back to 1967. ABB has actually grown on me some in recent times.

INSANE. How bizarre that those two LPs would remind you of... when they came out.

Date: May 29, 2013 06:33

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
The thing I have always liked about music is that it can take you back to a specific time. ABB takes me back to the mid to late 2000's. Satanic back to 1967. ABB has actually grown on me some in recent times.

INSANE. How bizarre that those two LPs would remind you of... when they came out.

You really struggle with the simplest of things.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: May 29, 2013 13:25

JumpinJackOLantern
They need to use some of their greatest songs as models for a new album. That doesn't mean to copy them, but sequels to Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Jumpin Jack Flash, When The Whip Comes Down, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Moonlight Mile, Lady Jane, Street Fighting Man and other classics would be a winning strategy.

Example Names For Songs

#1. The Riverboat Gambler
#2. A Storm Is Threatnin
#3. Captain Jack Splash
#4. When The Bottom Drops Out
#5. Out Of Sight Out Of Mind
#6. Saint Lucifer
#7. By The Light Of The Full Moon
#8. Miss Dolly Blue Shoes
#9. Blood In The Gutters
#10.Savage City Blues

Immediately before the American Recording Sessions I'd imagine a dialogue between Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin, something like this:

- Do you think we should record a new album?
- Man, I don't know. I'm an old man, you know. I'm over sixty by now.
- Well, we could produce sequels to your old hits. Like "I Walk The Curve", "Square Of Fire", "Awesome Prison Blues", "A Boy Named Jack", "Man In White". That would be a winning strategy.
- Hm. And if I just sing songs I like?
- But where is the strategy? Look at Wanda Jackson: "Let's Have a Party", "There's a Party Goin' on", "Man we had a party", "The Party Ain't Over".
- Yeah, sounds like a strategy.

Date: May 29, 2013 19:46

kuenzer
JumpinJackOLantern

Example Names For Songs

#1. The Riverboat Gambler
#2. A Storm Is Threatnin
#3. Captain Jack Splash
#4. When The Bottom Drops Out
#5. Out Of Sight Out Of Mind
#6. Saint Lucifer
#7. By The Light Of The Full Moon
#8. Miss Dolly Blue Shoes
#9. Blood In The Gutters
#10.Savage City Blues

Immediately before the American Recording Sessions I'd imagine a dialogue between Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin, something like this:

- Do you think we should record a new album?
- Man, I don't know. I'm an old man, you know. I'm over sixty by now.
- Well, we could produce sequels to your old hits. Like "I Walk The Curve", "Square Of Fire", "Awesome Prison Blues", "A Boy Named Jack", "Man In White". That would be a winning strategy.
- Hm. And if I just sing songs I like?
- But where is the strategy? Look at Wanda Jackson: "Let's Have a Party", "There's a Party Goin' on", "Man we had a party", "The Party Ain't Over".
- Yeah, sounds like a strategy.

So sequels are better left to the motion picture business?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:52

I want a new record with a strong producer who will deliver a "mature" bluesy (not a straight blues as that would be boring)album rather than the lyrics on ABB where Mick is singing about his 65 year old "cock"

Date: May 29, 2013 19:57

James Kirk
I want a new record with a strong producer who will deliver a "mature" bluesy (not a straight blues as that would be boring)album rather than the lyrics on ABB where Mick is singing about his 65 year old "cock"

I like the Some Girls bonus tracks as a model for what the last great Stones album should be. If they can do songs like those they will have a winner. And it doesn't have to be a commercial success to be a winner.

Date: May 31, 2013 02:12

I sure hope there is no additional fall leg to this 50 and Counting tour. October would be the perfect month to get started recording that new album.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 02:42

JumpinJackOLantern
I sure hope there is no additional fall leg to this 50 and Counting tour. October would be the perfect month to get started recording that new album.

maybe they would name it after you, as the leader of the effort?

Date: May 31, 2013 03:31

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern

I seek no fame or fortune.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 31, 2013 21:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 09:20 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 1, 2013 02:06

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

You really struggle with the simplest of things.

I'm not the one that feels like he's back in 1967 when I listen to anything from TSMR.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:26

JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern

I seek no fame or fortune.

...These things come to those who deserve them, not seek. smoking smiley

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 1, 2013 12:03

would it be OK to shut down this thread now? there are about 30 votes for an album in 2014, and maybe half of them would actually pay money for the new album. i don't think they're going to record and album because 15 IORRs would buy it.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 12:39

...If there isn't more show in 2014 after the last show in Hyde Park, no new album, the hoping is that they will tour also next year so there will be a new studio album!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 1, 2013 17:14

mailexile67
...If there isn't more show in 2014 after the last show in Hyde Park, no new album, the hoping is that they will tour also next year so there will be a new studio album!

our crack expert analysts are studying this post now and will have a report out by EOD

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home