Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: To The Rolling Stones: We Want A 50 And Counting Box Set In 2014!
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 5, 2013 22:27

JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

I could live with the Stones calling it quits tomorrow, but what I can't live with is no 50 and Counting box set!

Why not making a own Box-set with Glastonbury and the Newark-PPV from this sources (or others like this or this)?

Would be easier than living in a World without the Stones ..... winking smiley

I want an official product that chronicles the entire 50th anniversary year. Something that is on the shelf for the world to see.

Chances are the only people that would buy a box set of this tour are the same people who already have the bootlegs. The "world" isn't going to buy a box set, just the established fan base. The $9.99 download from this tour didn't even set the world on fire, a box set would tank. Besides, they would make it so expensive that most of the world wouldn't be able to afford it.

Date: October 6, 2013 17:35

NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

I could live with the Stones calling it quits tomorrow, but what I can't live with is no 50 and Counting box set!

Why not making a own Box-set with Glastonbury and the Newark-PPV from this sources (or others like this or this)?

I want an official product that chronicles the entire 50th anniversary year. Something that is on the shelf for the world to see.

Chances are the only people that would buy a box set of this tour are the same people who already have the bootlegs. The "world" isn't going to buy a box set, just the established fan base. The $9.99 download from this tour didn't even set the world on fire, a box set would tank. Besides, they would make it so expensive that most of the world wouldn't be able to afford it.

A box set chronicling their historic 50th anniversary tour is a no-brainer. Shame on them and their management if it doesn't happen!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2013 17:41

JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

A box set chronicling their historic 50th anniversary tour is a no-brainer. Shame on them and their management if it doesn't happen!

I don't think you've addressed his points, which are that it wouldn't sell. If you're giving in to him on that, then the 'no brainer' is to not release a 50th and Counting box set.

What I'd like to know is what the 'break even' point is on releasing a box set like you've described. How many units do they have to move before it's profitable? 5000, 10000? Anyone hazard an educated guess?

Re: To The Rolling Stones: We Want A New Album And 50th Anniversary Box Set In 2014!
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 6, 2013 17:51

I only want new material if THEY are passionate about it, not if it's released for contractual obligation or an attempt to cash in. The whole legacy of 'the fantastic five, the greatest rock and roll band in the world' is pretty tarnished with not having released a truly great album in decades, crazy tour pricing and very uneven live performances. It really hit me at Sarsstock, feeling the energy get sucked out of the crowd during the Stones set, them getting blown off the stage by AC/DC (a band I was never a fan of), but also Rush and The (original) Guess Who.

Every release after Undercover has been weak. The only interesting live album in that span was Stripped.

If they have nothing new to say, and are not passionate enough to make powerful music, I'd rather they not bother ruining the legacy more.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 6, 2013 18:16

JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

It isnt a 'no-brainer'. It was a tour which consisted of about 26 concerts, most of them with near identical setlists, save for about 3 songs each night, featuring songs that have been played on every tour and released countless times before. A tour where most of the variety came in the form of duets with other artists, which ranged widely in quality from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Yet they're managing to release an expanded multi disc version of two concerts which even then will include barely two hours of music spread thinly over various formats.

Even if we assume its finished, the tour wasnt long enough (unlike Biggest Bang) or varied enough in it's concept (unlike Four Flicks) to warrant a multi disc release.

If they were going to release a boxed set of DVD/blu rays to commemorate a golden anniversary then it would make far more sense from every perspective for it to be one chronicling performances from throughout their entire career.

Date: October 6, 2013 18:24

Gazza
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

It isnt a 'no-brainer'. It was a tour which consisted of about 26 concerts, most of them with near identical setlists, save for about 3 songs each night, featuring songs that have been played on every tour and released countless times before. A tour where most of the variety came in the form of duets with other artists, which ranged widely in quality from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Yet they're managing to release an expanded multi disc version of two concerts which even then will include barely two hours of music spread thinly over various formats.

Even if we assume its finished, the tour wasnt long enough (unlike Biggest Bang) or varied enough in it's concept (unlike Four Flicks) to warrant a multi disc release.

If they were going to release a boxed set of DVD/blu rays to commemorate a golden anniversary then it would make far more sense from every perspective for it to be one chronicling performances from throughout their entire career.

That actually would be a 'no brainer'. For the self proclaimed greatest rock'n'roll band in the world and acknowledged great live act to come up with a 10 DVD retrospective on the 10 greatest performances...one each from 10 tours or 10 different periods of time. Great to have something from prior to 1969.

Date: October 7, 2013 04:07

Gazza
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

Achieving 50 years is a huge milestone in the bands career. And to play so magnificently at roughly 70 years of age makes the achievement even more special. They thought enough of their two previous tours to produce box sets for each. And those releases were within four or five years of each other. I think The Biggest Bang box set was out by the summer of 2007 so it will have been seven years by next summer since it was released.

If I was assembling a box set for the 50th anniversary year I would put Glastonbury on disc #1, followed by the PPV concert on disc #2. Disc #3 would be highlights of the rest of the tour (including some highlights from Hyde Park and the club show). Disc #4 would be a documentary featuring interviews with the band about how it all came together for their 50th anniversary. This would include interviews with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and footage from rehearsals leading up to the tour. I would also want to include their red carpet appearance in London for their 50th birthday.

As far as their chronicling performances from their entire career we have enough of those on previous releases. What they really should do (when they are finally done) is do an anthology like the Beatles did. Now, that would be cool.

I believe this box set is going to become a reality by next summer. I am honestly going to be shocked if it doesn't happen. And, of course, extremely disappointed. We shall see.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2013 06:18

JumpinJackOLantern
Achieving 50 years is a huge milestone in the bands career.

Yes. The space accounted for when they didn't do anything, either album wise or tour wise, is astoundingly difficult to fathom for people like you.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2013 10:35

JumpinJackOLantern

I believe this box set is going to become a reality by next summer.

If the rumors are right, we get next summer a new tour with a new name. Who is then still interested in the 50&Counting thing?

They should release this Box-set now.

A 4-Disc-set with the O2-shows, Best-of North America, Glastonbury and Hyde Park. At a later point they could bring 'Crossfire Hurricane Pt.2' separately.

As already mentioned here, we get instead 10 different packages (iTunes-Download, DVD, Blu-ray, DVD+2CD, Blu-ray+2CD, DVD+3LP, DVD+T-Shirt, 4-Disc-Audio-CD, Deluxe-Edition and Digital Video) from only 2 concerts .....

JumpinJackOLantern

What they really should do (when they are finally done) is do an anthology like the Beatles did.

That will come. And what will come for sure is that the descendants of the Stones will release any and all from the vaults, so that we get - like from the Beatles - every Christmas a new release for the next 50 years .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-07 11:00 by Irix.

Re: To The Rolling Stones: We Want A New Album And 50th Anniversary Box Set In 2014!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2013 10:52

A super deluxe box set on the 50th anniversary of The Rolling Stones debut album would be nice next year ...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 7, 2013 21:05

Irix
JumpinJackOLantern

I believe this box set is going to become a reality by next summer.

If the rumors are right, we get next summer a new tour with a new name. Who is then still interested in the 50&Counting thing?

They should release this Box-set now.

A 4-Disc-set with the O2-shows, Best-of North America, Glastonbury and Hyde Park. At a later point they could bring 'Crossfire Hurricane Pt.2' separately.

As already mentioned here, we get instead 10 different packages (iTunes-Download, DVD, Blu-ray, DVD+2CD, Blu-ray+2CD, DVD+3LP, DVD+T-Shirt, 4-Disc-Audio-CD, Deluxe-Edition and Digital Video) from only 2 concerts .....

JumpinJackOLantern

What they really should do (when they are finally done) is do an anthology like the Beatles did.

That will come. And what will come for sure is that the descendants of the Stones will release any and all from the vaults, so that we get - like from the Beatles - every Christmas a new release for the next 50 years .....

The sooner we get the box set the better.

Date: October 8, 2013 07:58

I am guessing that they will put at least six months between the Hyde Park release on November 11 and the release of the '50 and Counting box set. So probably May at the earliest.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2013 09:32

I really can't grasp the need for any "50 Years and Counting" DVD box. We will have Hyde Park show soon, there was the PPV show last year, Glastonbury is easily available... how many releases we need of some twenty odd shows? What there is really worth seeing still? A docu of how the stage was build up? The band playing basically the same set they have played for years, and documented already damn many times. I don't think there is actually much to remember about in this tour that hasn't actually or soon to be released. Like Gazza I think that if they really want to celebrate those 50 and counting years, give us something that covers the whole career, not just the 'celebration' show vol. 137&149&347.

- Doxa

Date: October 8, 2013 09:35

Doxa
I really can't grasp the need for any "50 Years and Counting" DVD box. We will have Hyde Park show soon, there was the PPV show last year, Glastonbury is easily available... how many releases we need of some twenty odd shows? What there is really worth seeing still? A docu of how the stage was build up? The band playing basically the same set they have played for years, and documented already damn many times. I don't think there is actually much to remember about in this tour that hasn't actually or soon to be released. Like Gazza I think that if they really want to celebrate those 50 and counting years, give us something that covers the whole career, not just the 'celebration' show vol. 137&149&347.

- Doxa

It would have to be for getting ALL the "obscure" songs they played on this tour in a box set. Or else I can't see the reason why we should need it...

Date: October 8, 2013 09:48

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

It would have to be for getting ALL the "obscure" songs they played on this tour in a box set. Or else I can't see the reason why we should need it...

Yeah, a modern DVD version of FOR COLLECTORS ONLY. With an extra DVD of all versions of "Midnight Rambler" for Taylor diehards... A box each of us would look once out of curiosity and that's it...

I mean, I don't know if the 'world' needs another Rolling Stones new studio album (I think it actually does), but just another high-price DVD box of same war horses set, oh god...

- Doxa

Date: October 8, 2013 09:52

But that said, it is odd if they don't do something out of those guest appearances with different songs. There might be some novelty factor still not yet utilized.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 09:54 by Doxa.

Date: October 8, 2013 10:12

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, a modern DVD version of FOR COLLECTORS ONLY. With an extra DVD of all versions of "Midnight Rambler" for Taylor diehards... A box each of us would look once out of curiosity and that's it...

I mean, I don't know if the 'world' needs another Rolling Stones new studio album (I think it actually does), but just another high-price DVD box of same war horses set, oh god...

- Doxa

The world doesn't need it, but it would be similar to what we got when No Security came out.

That one is seemingly permanently out of print now - just saying... winking smiley

Date: October 8, 2013 10:24

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

The world doesn't need it, but it would be similar to what we got when No Security came out.

That one is seemingly permanently out of print now - just saying... winking smiley

NO SECURITY was their last 'serious' live album. And it flopped.

- Doxa

Date: October 8, 2013 10:53

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

So did the other live albums at the time.

Date: October 8, 2013 11:14

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Got Live If You Want It flopped? Still Life flopped?

Yeah, I guess they sorta did

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 8, 2013 11:15

Yes, a new album (blues-focused with MT) and more archive releases. I would prefer this to an extended box set consisting of many rather mediocre renditions of the all time greats of the last tour (with exception of the brilliant MT-contributions). I'm not as enthusiastic in the last tour as many of us.

Date: October 8, 2013 11:28

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, an end of an era. DVD format took the old place of live albums, and The Stones followed - or leading - the genre with FOUR LICKS.

- Doxa

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: October 8, 2013 11:35

Doxa

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that here in the UK 'Shine A Light' was the Stones most successful live album since 'Ya Ya's. I think it even hit the top of the album chart briefly- though I'm going from memory- so please don't shoot me :-)). (I mean the CD btw)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 11:38 by MrsHop.

Date: October 8, 2013 11:37

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

No, did they not. All the Stones live albums prior NO SECURITY were nice sellers, top ten material. I guess Jagger quite quickly read the signs of the times and knew that the times of good selling live albums were gone, and no point wasting creative thinking or time into that direction.

Anyway, looking the history of their live albums, I guess The Stones did pretty well, and kind of milked out that market. An album based on 'obscurities' (NO SECURITY) sounded like the last trick they had left at the time.

- Doxa

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 8, 2013 11:51

RobertJohnson
Yes, a new album (blues-focused with MT) and more archive releases. I would prefer this to an extended box set consisting of many rather mediocre renditions of the all time greats of the last tour (with exception of the brilliant MT-contributions). I'm not as enthusiastic in the last tour as many of us.

I wish for a new album, an album that is current like the best parts of Bridges to Babylon. Pure blues like Back of my hand hasn't been their strength since Down in the hole. I would love some contribution from MT, but wouldn't be keen on a blues-focussed new album. I would like more deluxe-editions (SF, GHS) - and Brussels (including the book, which ought to be publicly available since no books cover that tour) in a more affordable edition. I don't need more documtation from the 50 and counting tour - Glastenbury and the forthcoming Sweet summer sun will do it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 16:30 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 8, 2013 13:01

GetYerAngie
RobertJohnson

I wish for a new album, an album that is current like the best parts of Bridges to Babylon. Pure blues like Back of my hand hasn't been their strength since Back in the hole. I would love some contribution from MT, but wouldn't be keen on a blues-focussed new album. I would like more deluxe-editions (SF, GHS) - and Brussels (including the book, which ought to be publicly available since no books cover that tour) in a more affordable edition. I don't need more documtation from the 50 and counting tour - Glastenbury and the forthcoming Sweet summer sun will do it for me.

"Back of my Hand" is one of the best songs of AAB in my opinion and the only one worth to be recorded live on the BB tour. Unfortunately they dropped it on the later legs of the tour.

Date: October 8, 2013 13:44

Back In The Hole?? grinning smiley

Date: October 8, 2013 14:56

JumpinJackOLantern
They thought enough of their two previous tours to produce box sets for each. And those releases were within four or five years of each other. I think The Biggest Bang box set was out by the summer of 2007 so it will have been seven years by next summer since it was released.

So presumably they thought nothing of the previous tours as they werent documented so comprehensively. Licks had 117 shows and three types of concerts with varying setlists. It warranted a box set. Bigger Bang had 147 shows, with pretty much no variety in concept between arena and stadium shows and theatre shows were pretty much non existent (and those they did were documented in SAL). If anything, that tour was over-documented because it was effectively Licks Stadium Shows Redux. Like I said, the recent tour only had about 26 shows. Much the same length as the Some Girls tour - the essential difference being that in 1978 they were performing mostly songs theyd never played before. A tour of that duration and with such little new ground being struck doesnt warrant a multiple disc release.

JumpinJackOLantern

If I was assembling a box set for the 50th anniversary year I would put Glastonbury on disc #1, followed by the PPV concert on disc #2. Disc #3 would be highlights of the rest of the tour (including some highlights from Hyde Park and the club show). Disc #4 would be a documentary featuring interviews with the band about how it all came together for their 50th anniversary. This would include interviews with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and footage from rehearsals leading up to the tour. I would also want to include their red carpet appearance in London for their 50th birthday.

So basically you'd assemble three discs from shows a few weeks (and in some cases days) apart which would have 90% identical setlists consisting of songs that have been released dozens of times before and as a 'bonus' a few bland interviews and the band walking up and down a carpet. Sounds like a f**king marketing and artistic masterstroke.

JumpinJackOLantern

As far as their chronicling performances from their entire career we have enough of those on previous releases.

Thats not what I meant. Documentaries tend to feature clips of songs, which make their inclusion musically worthless. Not full performances. The band's archives are crammed with hundreds of hours of footage that has never been released officially. THAT is the sort of stuff that should be cobbled together for a career retrospective. Ideally before the tapes they're stored on fall apart due to age (which is actually an issue)

JumpinJackOLantern
What they really should do (when they are finally done) is do an anthology like the Beatles did. Now, that would be cool.

Yes - but I thought we were commemorating some kind of 'remarkable' anniversary. In which case, there's not much point concentrating exclusively on 2012-13 as if the band had failed to exist before that time.

JumpinJackOLantern

I believe this box set is going to become a reality by next summer. I am honestly going to be shocked if it doesn't happen. And, of course, extremely disappointed. We shall see

You will be disappointed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2013 15:16

Gazza
JumpinJackOLantern
Disc #4 would be a documentary featuring interviews with the band about how it all came together for their 50th anniversary. This would include interviews with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and footage from rehearsals leading up to the tour. I would also want to include their red carpet appearance in London for their 50th birthday.

So basically you'd assemble three discs from shows a few weeks (and in some cases days) apart which would have 90% identical setlists consisting of songs that have been released dozens of times before and as a 'bonus' a few bland interviews and the band walking up and down a carpet. Sounds like a f**king marketing and artistic masterstroke.

HA! Nowhere near marketing and artistic masterstroke! It's pure genius! Evidence? How about the fact that one can get THE BIGGEST BANG for as low as $5 (US) yet FOUR FLICKS I've never seen reduced. THE BIGGEST BANG is absolutely horrible - and beyond boring. So the graphics are more up to snuff - big whup. Not only did they simply copy what they did so well with for FLICKS in terms of the extras - which are beyond boring and even the band seems beyond bored with it - but the performances themselves are pedestrian at best. How fortunate there wasn't a commercial live album from the tour - the Google Play release is clearly accurate in terms of that "demand".

The 50 And Counting thing was possibly their most tepid title ever for something. Nothing original or creative about it - it's equal to their original 2005 tour name regarding creativity. Yet it was marketing gimmicktry galore. Celebrating "50 years" strictly in the sense of being a name. TGRRRRRRRNRBITW...

With a stupid gorilla on the cover of the worst album titles ever for anthother pointless hits compilation to boot.

Date: October 8, 2013 15:29

I think a better idea for a bonus disc would be one they could call the 'What if' disc.

It would be subitled '20 (*) Songs That Should Have Featured Mick Taylor...But Didn't'

(* 23 songs for Japan, of course).

They could also release the box set in special editions according to what you paid for your ticket. The most expensive Deluxe version would have special features which would include a voucher for a takeaway meal and glass of wine and a 'Pitcam' bonus feature where you'd be able to recreate that great close up view.

This version would cost five times as much as the regular edition despite containing no extra material. You can however send away (with your receipt) for a 'Certificate of Authenticity' to make you feel better, which will be returned to you with verification (with the option of autopenned authentic signatures by the band for an extra $1000) of how much you paid for your box set, and which will be suitable for framing. (the frame is not included)

There would also be a 'Pauper's Edition' which would cost a small amount with the catch that the concert footage contained therein would be shot with a 'Rafters Cam' and would come with a unique new audio feature called 'Bouncearound Sound'.

Its certainly a more appropriate release for the wide variety of Stones consumers, I'm sure you'll agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 15:35 by Gazza.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home