Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick, do what Springsteen does and change setlists up!
Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:30

Pease Mick and Keith,

Do what Bruce does and keep the same 9 ro ten songs each night but change the other 13 or so. you have so many sick tunes, your band can play them, the fans want to hear them, and the not big Stones fans will still get their top forty Stones tuens.
I just don't understand why veteran rocks band dont do this more often. Only Bruce and Dylan, really.. I guess PEarl Jam if ou count them.

Please Stone, Please change things up for all fans!!

I went to night 2 in Newark and it seems like I wills eem virtually the same show in Boston in June on each night. That would be a bummer, but still love the Stones no matter what they play. So I am not a complainer, just a wisher!!!!

See ya in Boston

Re: Mick, do what Springsteen does and change setlists up!
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:32

bruce? c'mon....everybody knows the grateful dead invented the changing setlist.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:44

Much like Bruce and Dylan (plus McCartney and a few others), they would have had to establish the precedent years ago...it's not something they can just do overnight. They chose a safe path and decided not to challenge their audiences ever since '89 and with all subsequent tours.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:20

Their mailing it in right now.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:21

black n blue

i don't think they are. i think they're working as hard or harder than ever. i just think they're just working on making the 90% of the audience who came to see the hits happy, rather than us.

Date: May 12, 2013 23:33

sonomastone
black n blue

i don't think they are. i think they're working as hard or harder than ever. i just think they're just working on making the 90% of the audience who came to see the hits happy, rather than us.

we suck and we deserve to be ignored. good for the stones.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:35

The Rolling Stones have no track record of changing set lists. The only time they did was the Licks tour. Bob Dylan only started doing it with the six date tour with the Dead in 1987. This year his Bobness has chosen to keep a pretty consistent set list probably as Duke Robillard finds his feet as the new guitar player but also to give the show a greater consistency after some pretty ramshackle performances in the fall. Hardcore fans love deep cuts but the general audience does not and this applies to a typical Bob Dylan audience as well as the Stones

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:29

Yes! A most refreshing idea. Bruce has it down and you never know what to expect at a Bruce show.

Posted by: TheGoons ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:49

Meanwhile at Backstreets (Bruce message board), they're bitching 'cause he just did 3 shows in Stockholm featuring 1 full album per night (Born to Run, Darkness, Born in the USA) and this is considered "stale" 'cause the creeps "know what songs are coming next" and they're not surprised. Really? Have we all become Jeff, the Comic Book Guy? Maybe you've seen or downloaded too many shows. Maybe you need a new hobby. The Stones, like Springsteen and many others, are, to use a way overused term, legendary.

If you don't like it, don't go. Collect stamps, do something...anything...but don't whine; it's unbecoming.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:05

love the stones no matter what. just wish they would play 9 or 10 top forty warhorses/popular tunes and then bout 9 or 10 rarer songs.

i would pay 400$ a night to see them play satisfaction 20 times, so I am not complaining.

yes, the Dead invented the ever changing setlist.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:12

fredlynn19
love the stones no matter what. just wish they would play 9 or 10 top forty warhorses/popular tunes and then bout 9 or 10 rarer songs.

i would pay 400$ a night to see them play satisfaction 20 times, so I am not complaining.

yes, the Dead invented the ever changing setlist.

I wouldn't pay that $$$ to hear the fuzz guitar

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:40

stewedandkeefed
The Rolling Stones have no track record of changing set lists. The only time they did was the Licks tour. Bob Dylan only started doing it with the six date tour with the Dead in 1987. This year his Bobness has chosen to keep a pretty consistent set list probably as Duke Robillard finds his feet as the new guitar player but also to give the show a greater consistency after some pretty ramshackle performances in the fall. Hardcore fans love deep cuts but the general audience does not and this applies to a typical Bob Dylan audience as well as the Stones

The current Dylan tour has very consistent set lists, but they are NOT greatest hits by any means : only 3 songs from the sixties, 4 songs from the latest album, and for the rest almost exclusively songs that were released in 1997 and later. The Stones would never in a million years have a set list like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 11:42 by HerMajestyBrenda.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:51

HerMajestyBrenda
stewedandkeefed

The current Dylan tour has very consistent set lists, but they are NOT greatest hits by any means : only 3 songs from the sixties, 4 songs from the latest album, and for the rest almost exclusively songs that were released in 1997 and later. The Stones would never in a million years have a set list like that.

Dylan can have any setlist...he sings the same song on each and every song...same goes for Cohen....Springsteen is still superb....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:57

Come On
HerMajestyBrenda
stewedandkeefed

Dylan can have any setlist...he sings the same song on each and every song...same goes for Cohen....Springsteen is still superb....

Wrong, of course. But to each their own.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:57

I don't think they would be able to. Then we would end up having concerts sounding like rehearsals probably. Who wants that?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 13, 2013 14:25

-Seen it once, -seen it all.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 13, 2013 14:34

Stoneage
I don't think they would be able to. Then we would end up having concerts sounding like rehearsals probably. Who wants that?

I would gladly pay to hear a rough version of Silver Train, for example, over a polished version of a warhorse. I know what Start Me Up sounds like live but there are scores of songs I would love to hear how they would bring to the stage.

Date: May 13, 2013 14:42

They did on the Licks Tour, and although it was great, we got a lot of train wrecks as well smiling smiley

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:48

FYI: Springsteen on his current tour (which started in march 2012) has so far done over 200 different songs in 100+ shows.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: May 13, 2013 16:52

I Think that Rolling Stones doesn't change the setlist that often is because of Keith. I remeber the last tour where almost didn't play at many songs because he didn't know the chords and instead of playing chords he played licks all the time. On this tour the play it safe, which is good in a way but boring.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 16:59 by IsakSun.

Date: May 13, 2013 17:10

IsakSun
I Think that Rolling Stones doesn't change the setlist that often is because of Keith. I remeber the last tour where almost didn't play at many songs because he didn't know the chords and instead of playing chords he played licks all the time. On this tour the play it safe, which is good in a way but boring.

there's nothing complicated about 99% of stones songs. 3 chords. all one must do is know the changes. how hard can that be??? high school bands can play these songs. bad high school bands even.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 13, 2013 17:17

IsakSun

Well, if you've followed the Stones over the years, you know that, with the limited exception of the Licks tour, they have always worked from a fixed setlist. This tour, with three wild card songs and guest artists at every stop, is on the generous side.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: May 13, 2013 17:18

GRNRBITW
IsakSun

there's nothing complicated about 99% of stones songs. 3 chords. all one must do is know the changes. how hard can that be??? high school bands can play these songs. bad high school bands even.

I'm aware of that, I've played guitars for many years. But I still Think that Keith has trouble to remember all things in the songs, it looks that way.

Date: May 13, 2013 17:54

IsakSun
GRNRBITW
IsakSun

I'm aware of that, I've played guitars for many years. But I still Think that Keith has trouble to remember all things in the songs, it looks that way.

i'm in agreement with you, actually. maybe keith could use some teleprompter help with the changes.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 17:59

IsakSun

I wish people would stop picking on Keith! He is not the reason for the boring setlist. Like Keith always says, Mick has to sing them so I let him decide the setlist. Jagger is the reason we get the same auto pilot mailing it in set night after night after night after night....

Date: May 13, 2013 18:02

rambler44
IsakSun

I wish people would stop picking on Keith! He is not the reason for the boring setlist. Like Keith always says, Mick has to sing them so I let him decide the setlist. Jagger is the reason we get the same auto pilot mailing it in set night after night after night after night....

i agree with you, too. when someone blames any of the stones for anything, i'm incline to agree - as long as nobody blames chuck, who is beyond criticism.

Date: May 13, 2013 18:20

GRNRBITW
rambler44
IsakSun

Please don't get me started on chuck! If the Stones do get in the studio to make a new Album, there are two names I do not want to see involved with it: Chuck Leavell and Don Was!!

i agree with you, too. when someone blames any of the stones for anything, i'm incline to agree - as long as nobody blames chuck, who is beyond criticism.

Date: May 13, 2013 18:21

GRNRBITW
rambler44
IsakSun

Please don't get me started on chuck! If the Stones do get in the studio to make a new Album, there are two names I do not want to see involved with it: Chuck Leavell and Don Was!!

Date: May 13, 2013 18:22

hmmph. i think if we just left the rest of them out of it, chuck and don could make a fine stones album together.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 13, 2013 18:22

rambler44
GRNRBITW
rambler44
IsakSun

Darryl feels you

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home