Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Taken From The Japan Times...U.S. fan revolt threatens Stones tour
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:24

Why would the band have to take a paycut? So, if the buildings are half-full, the band does not care. The schmucks offered them an amount that is really hard to cover. AEG took this on as bragging rights and can probably be written off on their taxes as a loss.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:27

trainarollin
Why would the band have to take a paycut? So, if the buildings are half-full, the band does not care. The schmucks offered them an amount that is really hard to cover. AEG took this on as bragging rights and can probably be written off on their taxes as a loss.

i don't even know what a write-off is...but they do...and they're the ones writing it off...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:31

Damn, I thought this was going to be about our "Taylor should play more" revolt.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:36

trainarollin

I'd have to think the band WOULD care, especially Jagger. If this is indeed the last tour, no one wants the embarrassment of playing half filled shows. In the end, if the venues are full, they can still point to the fact they sold the place out, or at least nearly filled it as 70 something rockers. As it is, when this tour ends, right or wrong, there's going to be an awful lot said about how the Stones have overstayed their welcome and should have quit while they were ahead. This board frankly isn't a good measuring stick of whether the tour was successful or the band did good shows. Hard core fans predominantly occupy these spaces, and will shout down the detractors. At this early juncture, it's hard to see why the Stones would ever do another tour again. Maybe a few shows here and there, but their touring days have got to be numbered after this.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:49

GRNRBITW
trainarollin

i don't even know what a write-off is...but they do...and they're the ones writing it off...

grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:17

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
this is the first time i've been able to read japanese. not as hard as i imagined it to be...

Isn't that a line from Tony's book...ie, Marianne Faithfull to Tony Sanchez?

could be...but i don't read books

yes, but can you read my mind right now?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:31

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
this is the first time i've been able to read japanese. not as hard as i imagined it to be...

if i could, what a tale your thoughts could tell, right?

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:04

Common sens. IMO, the harm has been done. Just read the web otherwise and the newspapers...

Long John Stoner
trainarollin

I'd have to think the band WOULD care, especially Jagger. If this is indeed the last tour, no one wants the embarrassment of playing half filled shows. In the end, if the venues are full, they can still point to the fact they sold the place out, or at least nearly filled it as 70 something rockers. As it is, when this tour ends, right or wrong, there's going to be an awful lot said about how the Stones have overstayed their welcome and should have quit while they were ahead. This board frankly isn't a good measuring stick of whether the tour was successful or the band did good shows. Hard core fans predominantly occupy these spaces, and will shout down the detractors. At this early juncture, it's hard to see why the Stones would ever do another tour again. Maybe a few shows here and there, but their touring days have got to be numbered after this.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:16

Not sure than fans balking at high ticket prices equates to a revolt but then again the media tries to sensationalize everything.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:17

trainarollin

The Beatles kept turning down a one-concert offer for (I think) Kansas City. But the price went up and up until it was record breaking, when they took it. The businessman behind the deal knew he'd lose money, but wanted the glory as the man who brought the Beatles to his city.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:33

“Total disaster. Too expensive and no vibe on the shows . . . it’s a terrible way to go out,” a source said.

No doubt that the first part is true but what about the vibe of the shows? On this board you have read nothing bad in this respect.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:20

In other breaking news from Japan...

Re: "Love and War Inside the Rolling Stones" - Rolling Stone, May 23 2013
Date: May 9, 2013 23:01

What is this thread doing in here??? grinning smiley

Date: May 9, 2013 23:59

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW

if i could, what a tale your thoughts could tell, right?

duh...of course.

Re: Rolling Stone magazine - Stones on the cover + report inside
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:00

It is a great magazine cover and the article is superior work. The journalist is pushing the limits of Mick's patience vs his relationship with Keith and the book. Like Mick says "I don't really want to talk about the book". Just get the magazine. It is great reading, especially if you read between lines.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:26

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
dcba
Damn it... CHUCK!

Don't step on my line slim...

actually, get off my cloud man, is the proper retort.

Whatever the moments over. dcba ruined it. Now I gotta go find an irrelevant thread to drop my Dammit Chuck! in.

I think it's time you had your line trademarked. That way, if anyone else uses it, you'll be entitled to royalties:

Dammit ChuckTM!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 10, 2013 06:00

Long John Stoner
trainarollin

Sadly, I think your observations are correct. The high ticket prices on this tour really soured me and I suspect that their gouging the fans this way will actually detract from their legacy. Although my son really wants to see them in Toronto later this month, if we can't get decent price tickets even for nosebleed seats, we probably won't go.

Date: May 10, 2013 12:13

Charlie with blush.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:08

71Tele
Damn, I thought this was going to be about our "Taylor should play more" revolt.

...Personally, I think he should SING more.
About time somebody gives Jagger a run for his money.

I won't be satisfied, nor will I shut up about it, until Taylor actualy has been given what he deserves - the lead vocals to ALL the songs he wrote for the Stones and/or has contributed to, in any sort of way, past ànd present.

It is unbeleivable, ànd unacceptable, that the band has refused to do so, up untill now. Such talent; such a waste...
Let's face it: what kind of 50th celebration are we getting??? Us, the loyal fans?? For this kind of bucks we're supposed to pay, I might add?!? It's a travesty.

We know they don't care for their legacy; but this is getting gross.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:46

Long John Stoner
trainarollin

Which is a shame because as Hyde Park proves, their shows will sell out if the tickets are priced "reasonably". I suspect that had the prices in the US been at 50% (still high!) the shows would probably have been sold out in minutes without resorting to the $85 (some fans would have missed out on the pit experience!) and "flex pricing". They still have a huge drawing power, just not at these ridiculous prices, and I suspect no one has.

Whether they'd take a reduced fee (even $50 million instead of $80 million) for a subsequent tour is unlikely, cause the only way is UP, so yes, shows here and there from time to time like Macca does not to have to start from scratch (think 1+ month rehearsals in Bondy to get going again) is a possible scenario. Ideally they'd try to record something in the fall after getting off the road too ("fresh off the road" - how many times have we read Keith making that kind of claim). If they don't do it at that time, they'll probably never do it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 17:04 by gotdablouse.

Re: Rolling Stone Cover Story: The Rolling Stones 2013
Date: May 10, 2013 14:45

bye bye johnny

...When was/will be this issue available?
The current edition, as seen on rolingstone.com & in stores (worldwide) everywhere, has Bruno Mars on the cover. !??

Date: May 10, 2013 15:56

RoughJusticeOnYa
bye bye johnny

The current edition, as seen on rolingstone.com & in stores (worldwide) everywhere, has Bruno Mars on the cover. !??

I believe Bruno Mars is the old cover. New one should be out shortly.

Date: May 10, 2013 16:22

treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
bye bye johnny

...Cheerz!

Re: "Love and War Inside the Rolling Stones" - Rolling Stone, May 23 2013
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 10, 2013 19:26

treaclefingers
I find it astonishing that given that all has transpired in the past couple of years, Keith doesn't have even the remotest sense of self preservation. Forget about feeling bad about or sorry for how he has hurt his friend. Just self preservation from the point of keeping his band together.

I guess though that is consistent with past behaviour. Just goes to show that the instant the band winds it down we're likely getting a second volume of LIFE with all the really 'bad bits'. AFTER LIFE perhaps?

Mick requested an apology? "He did," says Richards, "and I said that I regret if I caused you any, you know, inconvenience or pain, or something. It was . . ." Richards laughs. "I'd say anything to get the band together, you know? I'd lie to my mother."
and

Looking back now, is there anything he wishes he hadn't said in print?

"No, no, no, no." Richards laughs again. "I say what I say and that's it. I wouldn't retract a thing, man."

I didn't think my opinion of him could be lower, but it certainly is. He's pissed that it's public that he's apologized so he basically retracts it.

What a moron.

Well said, could not agree more.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 10, 2013 20:02

stonehearted
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
dcba
Damn it... CHUCK!

Don't step on my line slim...

actually, get off my cloud man, is the proper retort.

Whatever the moments over. dcba ruined it. Now I gotta go find an irrelevant thread to drop my Dammit Chuck! in.

I think it's time you had your line trademarked. That way, if anyone else uses it, you'll be entitled to royalties:

Dammit ChuckTM!

Can you represent me? The trade mark courts have more twists and turns then a bagful of snakes!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 22:06

RoughJusticeOnYa
treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
bye bye johnny

...Cheerz!

I just pulled it from my mail box. They're smiling. How un-rock `n' roll!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 10, 2013 22:09

Rolling Stone May 23 issue is out. Terry Richardson photo accompanies Mikal Gilmore's article.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 10, 2013 22:50

A really good article and obviously an astute and talented journalist who probably got more out of Jagger than most would. He avoided the usual sicophantic droolings which your local hack has as a default setting when interviewing musicians.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2013 23:39

Actually I find it a bit disappointing, doesnt really go anywhere and it's pretty much a (longer) rehash of the October RS article ("He apologized to my face"..."I would have apologized to God" ) except there was no discussion of a new album like in October (Mick : "I'd like to do one"). He should have asked instead of dwelling endlessly on the "Love and War"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-11 00:58 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 11, 2013 00:29

How about those Mets!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home