Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: "Love and War Inside the Rolling Stones" - Rolling Stone, May 23 2013
Date: May 9, 2013 06:40

Wuudy
slew
I'm glad you people are all in Mick and Keith's heads and know what they are thinking and feeling!!!

Thank you, Slew! I was thinking the exact same thing. People are just making assumptions but can't have a single clue what the Stones think, feel or want.

So, will you guys do a new album after this tour is over, Ronnie?

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 9, 2013 07:09

AlmostHearYouSigh
Over the years I have grown tired of Keith but my sense is fans look more favorable on him than Mick. Why is that? Keith is rock and roll, yeah I get that but his everyman act is oh so tired.

As much as he annoys me I feel a bit sorry for him becasue he is kind of pathetic at this stage. I don't think anyone would ever feel that about Mick. Why is there a feeling to protect Keith? I even think Mick does this.

I suppose if the myth is bigger than the truth print the myth. Anyone ever read the book about the making of Exile A season in Hell? In Keith's mind the whole album was made in his basement. In reality less than half was and it was Mick who completed the album in LA! Yet its a Keith album and the myth of Keith started to grow.....

By all reports, Mick and Keith finished the album in LA, but if it makes you feel better to think Mick did it alone, go on believing that. Those two guys are geniuses at PR and they are currently playing all of you like pianos and laughing behind your backs. Fake feuds are brilliant marketing schemes. Mick proofread "Life" and offered suggestions to stir controversy.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 07:52

whitem8
That reply is not from Bill Wyman the Rolling Stone. It is from Bill Wyman the rock writer.

Thank you from Somegirl66. I had no idea there was a writer with his name..I feel silly, but good to know & thanks for clearing up! (:

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:01

nonfilter
AlmostHearYouSigh
Over the years I have grown tired of Keith but my sense is fans look more favorable on him than Mick. Why is that? Keith is rock and roll, yeah I get that but his everyman act is oh so tired.

As much as he annoys me I feel a bit sorry for him becasue he is kind of pathetic at this stage. I don't think anyone would ever feel that about Mick. Why is there a feeling to protect Keith? I even think Mick does this.

I suppose if the myth is bigger than the truth print the myth. Anyone ever read the book about the making of Exile A season in Hell? In Keith's mind the whole album was made in his basement. In reality less than half was and it was Mick who completed the album in LA! Yet its a Keith album and the myth of Keith started to grow.....

By all reports, Mick and Keith finished the album in LA, but if it makes you feel better to think Mick did it alone, go on believing that. Those two guys are geniuses at PR and they are currently playing all of you like pianos and laughing behind your backs. Fake feuds are brilliant marketing schemes. Mick proofread "Life" and offered suggestions to stir controversy.

[www.non-filters.com]

Agreed. Look at the title and cover of Rolling Stone this week for example, and look at all the discussion. Would they have gotten near the attention if the story had been "we're getting along better than ever, everything is fine"?

They have been playing off the attention to their feud for years - go back and look at the video to One Hit to the Body, for example.

Date: May 9, 2013 08:17

nonfilter
AlmostHearYouSigh

[www.non-filters.com]

Well, I suggested exactly what you are saying here several years ago and was nearly crucified for thinking so. I don't feel that way today, but I hope I am wrong and that you have some insight into what is actually going on behind the scenes. That would be so cool if we found out in the end that it was Mick's master plan all along! I would like to think that these guys are talking on the phone laughing their butts off together!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:25

Don't you think it would have played better to report there was warmth in the group on their 50th? I think Mick is tired of the old 'at each other's throats' angle.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:53

nonfilter
AlmostHearYouSigh

[www.non-filters.com]

Yes, brilliant marketing scheme--which they're taking to an even higher level by refusing to write and record a new album together, just so that we sucker fans will be drawn to their concerts to witness the drama of their fake feud.

Just curious, but how do you know that Mick proofread Life and offered suggestions to stir controversy? Are you on the editorial board of the house that published the book?

In the article in Rolling Stone, Keith claims he showed the manuscript to Mick before publication, just to let him know what was in it, but Mick, a proofreader? I don't think so.

Before Klaus Kinski published his autobiography, he confided to Werner Herzog that he was sensationalizing many of his accounts, and when Herzog asked why he was doing this, Kinski replied, "But Werner, I have to, otherwise the scum won't want to read it!"

Surely you would think Mick and Keith have a higher view of their public than Klaus Kinski did of his--and, of course, it was well known that Kinski was certifiably mad.

Date: May 9, 2013 15:12

I think people would be surprised by knowing how little of this drama between Mick and Keith that is accurate or true. This is, once again, the PR-masters at work. Very well timed article. And the fans buy everything they read, and will take it further grinning smiley

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:07

DandelionPowderman
I think people would be surprised by knowing how little of this drama between Mick and Keith that is accurate or true. This is, once again, the PR-masters at work. Very well timed article. And the fans buy everything they read, and will take it further grinning smiley

1+
Especially here on this particular board.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:16

leatherjacket
DandelionPowderman

1+
Especially here on this particular board.

wait- ..so Keith and Mick are still friends? can we have some evidence of that?

besides working together? smiling smiley ( asking rhetorically)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:20

PR of course

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:56

I have never thought of Mikal Gilmore, an knowledgable and talented writer, as a PR guy.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:04

Mick has turned the small thingy thing around. He is now a super immortal athlete. Giving us the impression that all parts are in good working order. It was stupid for Keith to bust him like that and ruin the folklore.

Date: May 9, 2013 18:38

stonesrule
I have never thought of Mikal Gilmore, an knowledgable and talented writer, as a PR guy.

No one said HE was...

However, he likes to have background stuff to work out his stories from, like all journalists do.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:56

GOOD journalists, and Gilmore is one of them, may look over background material but their talent and experience take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:45

Gilmore did great job with this piece. Thoughtful article on the topics of concern to fans like us who are deeply in the subject.
What's interesting - this article confirms what I've seen in various other sources recently but not so explicitly. Mick emerged from this whole KR' book story with such dignity that it has raised his reputation immensely . The whole article is about him - an attempt to understand him, to approach closer to this man of mystery, to see the human dimension behind the legend. On the other hand Richards once again appears in so unfavorable light it's amazing
I think Prince Rupert' statement that Richards won their argument on a personal level will soon be irrelevant - Mick seems to win on this field too. And this is just the beginning.

Date: May 9, 2013 21:17

stonesrule
GOOD journalists, and Gilmore is one of them, may look over background material but their talent and experience take it with a grain of salt.

Once you have chosen the angle it doesn't matter how good you are. The PR machine have already gotten what they wanted to come across.

Taken From The Japan Times...U.S. fan revolt threatens Stones tour
Posted by: SebastianHass ()
Date: May 9, 2013 11:47

U.S. fan revolt threatens Stones tour

Band may cut appearance fees to counter threat of playing to half-full arenas

NEW YORK – Could it be the tour too far for the Rolling Stones? Insiders are predicting that the band will have to renegotiate the huge guaranteed fees for their American tour, which opened on May 3, as ticket prices are radically reduced in light of poor sales.A perfect storm of management hubris, fan indifference and technological change is threatening to turn the tour into a disaster.
The band said last week it was dropping the price of thousands of premium seats — “flexing” in industry parlance — rather than play to half-empty arenas.
“Total disaster. Too expensive and no vibe on the shows . . . it’s a terrible way to go out,” a source said.
He added that the band could hardly refuse if their reputed $20 million fees for the tour were revised.
“What’s the band gonna do?” the source said. “Say we’re not going to play if you touch our gross?”
In the U.K., by contrast, tickets for the groups’s two London Hyde Park shows, priced from £95 to £300 ($150 to $465), quickly sold out, although hotel package tickets worth £750 ($1,160) or higher remain, and they are also headlining the Glastonbury festival.
Although there was widespread grumbling about ticket prices after the Rolling Stones played in London and New York last year, it is since this tour reached the U.S. West Coast and heartlands such as Chicago that outright hostility has emerged toward the band and its promoter, the giant AEG Entertainment.
“I have to give them respect for what they have done, but now they seem like an embarrassment,” fan Cameron Bowman told the San Francisco Chronicle recently.
“Seriously, how much more money do they need?” Bowman said. “I feel like they are in Donald Trump/Gordon Gekko territory — just money for money’s sake.”
By setting prices at $170 for a cheap seat, $635 for a top seat or up to $2,000 for a VIP ticket, the band alienated blue-collar fans who have kept their tours profitable through the decades.
The band’s 2005 tour grossed £350 million ($540 million).
This year is a different story. The Rolling Stones are playing in arenas holding from 10,000 to 15,000 people, not stadiums. In theory that should be more profitable — if fans will pay more for a closer view.
But the plan has backfired. The band has no new material to tour behind and its new management has allowed ticket prices, not the show, to become the story.
By contrast, bands such as Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty are selling out, but their tickets are a fraction of the price.
Playing in only a few cities — Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia — means it is less expensive to tour.
But that plan relies on hardcore fans willing to travel — and they may not want to sit in an upper tier that’s within their budget but is farther from the stage. So they are sitting out the tour.
“They did everything backwards,” said one tour veteran.
“It was a last-minute decision to celebrate their 50th anniversary,” the veteran said. “A bit more thought should have gone into it because now they are up against all this summer competition.”
The Rolling Stones have a history of pushing the boundaries of ticket prices; they were one of the first bands to adopt multi-tiered pricing.
But now legitimate secondary ticket sellers such asStubHub.com let artists see exactly what people are willing to pay to see their show.
The escalation in prices is partly testing the top of the market and partly an effort to squeeze touts out of the business.
But touts may be a necessary evil. They took the risk in buying tickets for resale and priced that into their business.
Now the Rolling Stones are taking on that risk, they also take the chance of getting burned at the end of the day.
“Price does matter,” said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the concert industry publication Pollstar. “Now the market is speaking.”
Article taken from: The Japan Times

Re: Taken From The Japan Times...U.S. fan revolt threatens Stones tour
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2013 12:27

Damn it... CHUCK!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:00

I'd be cool with paying the money if they then burned in a big bonfire on stage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:12

Isn't this just a reprint of an article almost a week old?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:13

dcba
Damn it... CHUCK!

Don't step on my line slim...

Date: May 9, 2013 17:14

Munichhilton
dcba
Damn it... CHUCK!

actually, get off my cloud man, is the proper retort.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:18

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
dcba
Damn it... CHUCK!

actually, get off my cloud man, is the proper retort.

Whatever the moments over. dcba ruined it. Now I gotta go find an irrelevant thread to drop my Dammit Chuck! in.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:19

this is the first time i've been able to read japanese. not as hard as i imagined it to be...

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:29

treaclefingers
Isn't this just a reprint of an article almost a week old?

Yes, I recall reading this before.

plexi

Date: May 9, 2013 17:39

GRNRBITW
this is the first time i've been able to read japanese. not as hard as i imagined it to be...

Isn't that a line from Tony's book...ie, Marianne Faithfull to Tony Sanchez?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:40

"Isn't this just a reprint of an article almost a week old?"

Exactly, treaclefingers. Peprint of an article published on "Guardian", that, if i remember correctly, was partly reprint of another article, etc, etc...

I don't defend the current Stones prices stragedy, of course. But what happens with the Press is just ludicrous! What comes after? Let's suppose... Northamerican tour's leg will be finished, the Stones will have played in full houses, the grosses will be high (because, fortunately or unfortunately, this annoying tix stragedy makes the gigs more profitable - just think about it) but even then some newspapers will do "copy paste" articles about upcoming "financial desaster" and about the Stones standing in the danger of "half - emprty arenas"...

"Japan Times" reprinding the "Guardian" after an week... What a "quality" of journalism!!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:46

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW

Isn't that a line from Tony's book...ie, Marianne Faithfull to Tony Sanchez?

could be...but i don't read books

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:12

I read in a Stones book that European fans rioted and caused some damage against too-high ticket prices during the Tattoo You tour.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home