Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 103 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 7, 2014 15:21

Father Ted
I think we can now safely assume that after two years of touring, Mick Taylor will not be playing on anymore songs.

Yep, and if he retires after the Stones tour we will never see him on stage again.
What a pity.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:41

LuxuryStones
Father Ted
I think we can now safely assume that after two years of touring, Mick Taylor will not be playing on anymore songs.

Yep, and if he retires after the Stones tour we will never see him on stage again.
What a pity.

Never say never! I am hoping he makes a tour playing Stones song he originally recorded, especially now that he has had major exposure. But then again he is up in age as well and has made a few dollars on this tour. I hope it will mot be the last of him playing live.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:43

DandelionPowderman

My guess is one show with Silver Train in Oz/NZ.

Let's hope it was not Hanging Rock..

- Doxa

Date: November 7, 2014 17:51

PhillyFAN

Never say never! I am hoping he makes a tour playing Stones song he originally recorded, especially now that he has had major exposure. But then again he is up in age as well and has made a few dollars on this tour. I hope it will mot be the last of him playing live.

Before this Stones tour I've seen him playing "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "You Gotta Move", "No Expectations", "Stop Breaking Down", and "Honky Tonk Women" (and usually damn well) along the years, so if he goes on playing after the Stones commitment - and why not? - I guess the audiences will hear some Stones songs in any case... (But probably not "Midnight Rambler" hahaha...)

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:01

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Let's hope it was not Hanging Rock..

- Doxa

Years ago a Sunday match of Milan was postponed to the next day because of the bad weather. A player who was supposed to play on Sunday, was left on the bench the next day. When asked why, our manager Liedholm (aka Liddas) told the press "I left him out because he was tired after yesterdays' game!"

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 18:01 by liddas.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:39

Ha-ha Liddas, that makes sense to me.smiling smiley I knew they planned to play Silver Train. Oh the cynic in me!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2014 19:13

DandelionPowderman
black n blue
DandelionPowderman
black n blue
TeddyB1018
black n blue
Good luck here, their more like the Beach boys now how sad. Delve into that back catalog guys. Fan since 65

Not really. They Beach Boys in whatever touring form have since the mid-'70's basically sang in front of a backing band. The Rolling Stones have support musicians but they comprise the majority of the sound, and each full member is performing their entire musical task. The point of seeing them now is to see and hear them play together. Nothing to do with the Beach Boys except for a classics-laden setlist.

The set list is geting stale. Kinda sad indeed to see the same stuff. If their going out you think they would play some other stuff.

Is there really a better way of "going out" than to play your best and most well-known songs - with a few surprises thrown in?
Surprises where

A few on this tour:

Lady Jane
Around And Around
Under The Boardwalk
I Wanna Be Your Man
Silver Train
Loving Cup
Can't Be Seen
Memory Motel
Factory Girl and Glastonbury Girl
2000 Light Years From Home
Beast Of Burden
Out Of Control
Emotional Rescue
As Tears Go By
Little Red Rooster
Dead Flowers
She's So Cold
The Last Time
It's All Over Now
Sway
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Slipping Away
Going Down
Bitch
Champagne And Reefer
Respectable

"This" tour is this year, quite a few of those songs are from 2012 and early '013.

Not so much this tour.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:18

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted

We said that before the Asia leg of the tour as well. He got to play on two more songs (Silver Train and Slipping Away), albeit not every night.

Streets Of Love in Europe.

Have they played Silver Train more than once during the last two years? I only recall one performance of it in Tokyo but maybe I missed something.

Date: November 8, 2014 09:38

mighty stork
DandelionPowderman
Father Ted

We said that before the Asia leg of the tour as well. He got to play on two more songs (Silver Train and Slipping Away), albeit not every night.

Streets Of Love in Europe.

Have they played Silver Train more than once during the last two years? I only recall one performance of it in Tokyo but maybe I missed something.

No.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: November 9, 2014 08:42

Yep but Dandelion himself has a guess... He might be in the know.
Let's consider the guess :
1-Mick Taylor will play on more songs.smileys with beer
2- On only one more song angry smiley
3- On Silver Train confused smiley

Honestly, I would prefer to hear a renewed version of Midnight Rambler, instead of an added "not that good" song like Silver Train.

For instance with some licks inspired by Get Yer Ya Ya's Out and Golden Age versions, or brand new material. Plus some brilliant sobriety.
That would be more thrilling smiling smiley
IMHO

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 08:53 by MarkSchneider.

Date: November 9, 2014 10:56

Only stating the logical thing, Mark. On all legs of the tour, Taylor has played (allbeit very rarely) on a different song.

My GUESS is that they'll have another go at ST, since they have been rehearsing it.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 9, 2014 14:31

Let's face it; The Stones have been touring since 2012 with a very limited contribution from ex-Stone Taylor. It's silly to expect much more from MT. It is what it is.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: November 9, 2014 14:35

Are they afraid of destroying his/their legacy should they decide to showcase him on more than the Midnight Rambler? It seems so selfish to restrain him to the same blues number. He could have developed meaningful parts for himself to play on other songs as the tour progressed. Maybe he doesn't mind, since he is free to improvise on MR, but the band are cheating us and themselves of something unique. Containing him for so long, and unleashing him for 7 minutes, every show, does he even have time to get warm? Or are the glimmers too cold to light a fire anymore? Damn he is a marionette now.

It's disrespectful. Sad. An eternally lost opportunity. A big FY to those responsible.

Date: November 9, 2014 15:22

skytrench
Containing him for so long, and unleashing him for 7 minutes, every show, does he even have time to get warm?

My guess is that MT already knows what tunes he's going to play in the future because they rehearsed them. Obviously that's 2 bloody songs only.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 9, 2014 19:26

DandelionPowderman
Only stating the logical thing, Mark. On all legs of the tour, Taylor has played (allbeit very rarely) on a different song.

My GUESS is that they'll have another go at ST, since they have been rehearsing it.

I suspect they've probably been rehearsing Silver Train for the lulz, much in the same way they usually do Sway. They don't want to take risks with the actual setlist, so the rehearsals and soundchecks are their means of having fun together and letting Taylor loose now and again. FWIW, I don't think the Tokyo performance of Silver Train came off that well. They were trying to share out the slide parts evenly between Ronnie and MT, which didn't work because a) Ronnie doesn't play slide in that style, which b) forced MT to play in a more subdued way.

The problem with Silver Train is much like that with, say, Clapton's Tell The Truth: it's no more than a decent song at best and becomes pretty pointless unless used as a vehicle for lyrical slide accompaniment, like on the album version, or turned into an extended jam, as with Carla Olsen's treatment. The Stones passed up the chance to do the former in Tokyo, and are never going to go for the latter.

Date: November 10, 2014 09:48

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I suspect they've probably been rehearsing Silver Train for the lulz, much in the same way they usually do Sway. They don't want to take risks with the actual setlist, so the rehearsals and soundchecks are their means of having fun together and letting Taylor loose now and again. FWIW, I don't think the Tokyo performance of Silver Train came off that well. They were trying to share out the slide parts evenly between Ronnie and MT, which didn't work because a) Ronnie doesn't play slide in that style, which b) forced MT to play in a more subdued way.

The problem with Silver Train is much like that with, say, Clapton's Tell The Truth: it's no more than a decent song at best and becomes pretty pointless unless used as a vehicle for lyrical slide accompaniment, like on the album version, or turned into an extended jam, as with Carla Olsen's treatment. The Stones passed up the chance to do the former in Tokyo, and are never going to go for the latter.

I think too that this was the key to why it didn't work so well, but I don't think it was Ronnie's fault. He was merely playing Mick's harp parts. Taylor was the one that didn't remember his lines/chose to try something different (both on the verses and in his solo).

However, the one that didn't quite cut this one was Mick, imo. He tried to give something extra, but failed on the easy parts of the song.

They should have a go at Dance Little Sister while they're at it. That song is made for Taylor to shine, and he's more than welcome to noodle throughout, like on the studio version smiling smiley

Silver Train - then and now:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-10 16:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 10, 2014 12:05

That was more than noodling only, it was solid rhythm playing combined with fills and a splendid guitar solo. Very nice use of the whammy bar. It worked perfectly together with Keith and the rest of the rhythm section.

Date: November 10, 2014 12:17

LuxuryStones
That was more than noodling only, it was solid rhythm playing combined with fills and a splendid guitar solo. Very nice use of the whammy bar. It worked perfectly together with Keith and the rest of the rhythm section.

There is no rhythm playing, but everything he played was nice indeed.

I wouldn't use the word "solid", as Taylor is sounding less "controlled" than he used to on DLS, imo. But that's exactly what I like about his playing on this one thumbs up

Date: November 10, 2014 12:21

Different people different opinions. Call it freestyle then. I need fresh air. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-10 12:24 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: November 10, 2014 14:01

I SAID THAT SINCE O2 ARENA LONDON 2012

ONE MORE SONG WITH MT ( THE GREATEST GUITARIST )

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: November 10, 2014 14:21

For the final show,Mick J,will allow him to play tambourine in one more song...confused smiley..What a waste of such great talent

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: November 11, 2014 01:55

Maybe coincidence, but unless I'm mistaken MT hasn't featured on anything other than Rambler and Satisfaction since he screwed up the beginning of Slipping Away in Abu Dhabi.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 11, 2014 03:48

the train left the station ...

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:26

chriseganstar
Maybe coincidence, but unless I'm mistaken MT hasn't featured on anything other than Rambler and Satisfaction since he screwed up the beginning of Slipping Away in Abu Dhabi.

Are you trying to win the prize for least informed comment of the year ?
That was a pretty good shot.
You managed to fit multiple errors into one sentence.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:44

103 pages of we want more Taylor? Gee whiz...figured it would be 1 post "we want more" and everyone else would say "um...yeah...no kidding"...

Date: November 11, 2014 09:13

chriseganstar

Streets Of Love in Rome...

Date: November 11, 2014 09:32

DandelionPowderman
chriseganstar

Both traditional, strong Taylor numbers..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 11, 2014 09:42

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
chriseganstar

- Doxa

The irony is that MR and S aren't Taylor numbers either grinning smiley

Date: November 11, 2014 10:10

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
chriseganstar

- Doxa

Well, "Rambler" practically is, if we forget the original that has been a curiosity in this number's heroic history. Even during modern times, when they started to listen the original studio versions and reconstruct them, they left "Rambler" out to live according to its 'road version' that was blueprinted in GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!

- Doxa

Date: November 11, 2014 10:15

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
chriseganstar

- Doxa

Well, "Rambler" practically is, if we forget the original that has been a curiosity in this number's heroic history. Even during modern times, when they started to listen the original studio versions and reconstruct them, they left "Rambler" out to live according to its 'road version' that was blueprinted in GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!

- Doxa

Both MR and S are on the Ya Yas Deluxe, but we can't forget the original studio recordings? If we do, we'll have to say that MR is a classic Woody number, since he's played brilliantly on it for 39 years smiling smiley

The Ya Yas version is more akin to the original than today's version, imo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 103 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home