Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 101 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Date: November 5, 2014 14:42

Bliss
Rokyfan
71Tele
Naturalust
As much as I love Mick Taylor and think Ronnie is mediocre at best, I understand the Stones decision to limit Micks songs on this tour.

1. He is not part of the band. Hasn't been since he quit.
2. Ronnie is a full fledged Rolling Stone and it wouldn't be fair to him as MTs replacement.
3. As mentioned above Taylor's musicianship is a cut above the other guitarists in the band and the shows would become more about Taylor's playing than would be comfortable for the rest of the Stones. He is already getting tons of attention and is playing 1 or 2 songs.

The only way we will hear more of the Stones with Taylor is if something happens to Ronnie, which I hope doesn't happen.

Just glad to see him being acknowledged as a guest and happy to listen to all the magic recordings he did as a Stone. peace

#1 and #2 are ridiculous. By that logic he shouldn't be on ANY songs. Or is one song the established number for former band members set by the Geneva Conventions or something? As far as not being "fair" to Ronnie. It's not about fairness, it's about putting the best musical product on stage. There are plenty of songs which would benefit from a three-guitar arrangement without any issues of "fairness" to anyone.

I think Ronnie would be the first to welcome more and more Taylor participation. He is without pretense, it seems, he'd just welcome the chance to play with his mate, he wouldn't give a shit for one second about anything other than the music. Ronnie is not the problem, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ronnie who was the driving force behind MT's presence. They are good friends, they have performed together a mumber of times. There are backstage photos of them showing Ronnie with his arm around MT, not staged publicity photos.

+1

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 5, 2014 16:20

S.T.P
Most of the people nowadays have no clue who MT is. I'll be happy for any valuts release from the Taylor era, and if it comes, I'll be shure to listen to it through headphones so I don't offend any other with extended guitar solos.Gimme Altamont, Hyde Park '69, L&G and Melbourne '73 and I'll be forever happy...oh, and London '73, MSG '69 with no overdubsB, Miami Pop Festival '69, Mobile '72, ST. Louis '72, Minneapolis '72, LA '73, Essen '70, Roundhouse '71...and...drinking smileysmoking smiley>grinning smiley<

Wow, one of their best "lazy gigs" ever. A pity the sound quality is bad and mono.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 5, 2014 16:25

StonesCat
To think, a year and a half ago, we had shows like LA2 and the scattered other performances of Sway and Knocking, and felt like the Stones were just figuring out how to utilize MT and work him into even more. Now looking back, that LA show, and the fanvotes of those two and Moonlight Mile, seem like something from the Twilight Zone. Aside from Silver Train on the Tokyo songvote, there hasn't even been a glimmer of a song that he would play on listed(as it is now).

Looks to me like MT has regained some of his weight that he lost. Mick Jagger does not want bloated Stones on stage. I am a Taylorite and would love to see him playing more.

Mick Jagger looks very skinny these days so he practices what he preaches

Date: November 5, 2014 16:46

triceratops
StonesCat
To think, a year and a half ago, we had shows like LA2 and the scattered other performances of Sway and Knocking, and felt like the Stones were just figuring out how to utilize MT and work him into even more. Now looking back, that LA show, and the fanvotes of those two and Moonlight Mile, seem like something from the Twilight Zone. Aside from Silver Train on the Tokyo songvote, there hasn't even been a glimmer of a song that he would play on listed(as it is now).

Looks to me like MT has regained some of his weight that he lost. Mick Jagger does not want bloated Stones on stage. I am a Taylorite and would love to see him playing more.

Mick Jagger looks very skinny these days so he practices what he preaches

What do you mean?

Date: November 5, 2014 16:48

24FPS
treaclefingers

"I'd originally thought he was there as a stop gap, just in case KR wasn't up to form, which he obviously is...."

Keith got back up to form? When did that happen?

Watch the SFTD-clip from Perth (from the 2:18 mark, if you don't wanna listen to it all smiling smiley ).

At least he was back in 1997-form. Not too bad smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 16:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 5, 2014 17:47

My god. Please give KR a break. He is old and closer to 80 then he is to 60. They all are. It is remarkable they are even touring at this age. I think they all are playing very well. They are not the band of the their youth. We will never ever see that again except thru recordings, dvd's etc. We should mot be expecting them to play as if this we even 20 years ago. Remember this is a band with nothing to prove. Sure, I would love to see and hear more MT, bit I have resigned myself to the fact Rambler and Satisfaction are probably all I will hear from him. But what a sweet joy to see him back on stage with them.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 5, 2014 18:39

Good luck here, their more like the Beach boys now how sad. Delve into that back catalog guys. Fan since 65

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2014 18:50

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
treaclefingers

"I'd originally thought he was there as a stop gap, just in case KR wasn't up to form, which he obviously is...."

Watch the SFTD-clip from Perth (from the 2:18 mark, if you don't wanna listen to it all smiling smiley ).

How odd that we celebrate that Keith might be a fraction of what he used to be. And it took two years of overpriced tickets to get shake the deep rust off. Again, if you've never seen them, I'm sure this is a treat.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 5, 2014 18:57

More Taylor!!!!

At least, worse case as much as last American Tour (Sway, CYHMK, MR, Slippin Away), 4 songs on electric please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 5, 2014 19:30

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
treaclefingers

How odd that we celebrate that Keith might be a fraction of what he used to be. And it took two years of overpriced tickets to get shake the deep rust off. Again, if you've never seen them, I'm sure this is a treat.

This is single-string soloing, something he has problems with, because of his arthritis of course - but his Berry-ish licks have been good all the way since November 25, 2012.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: November 5, 2014 20:32

Bliss
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ronnie who was the driving force behind MT's presence. They are good friends, they have performed together a mumber of times. There are backstage photos of them showing Ronnie with his arm around MT, not staged publicity photos.

Ronnie thinks more about his image than you might realise. He (his team) are very active on social media.

If he was aware of the camera when the picture was taken, plus it's made public then it's a publicity photo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 5, 2014 21:55

Rokyfan
71Tele
Naturalust
As much as I love Mick Taylor and think Ronnie is mediocre at best, I understand the Stones decision to limit Micks songs on this tour.

2. Ronnie is a full fledged Rolling Stone and it wouldn't be fair to him as MTs replacement.
3. As mentioned above Taylor's musicianship is a cut above the other guitarists in the band and the shows would become more about Taylor's playing than would be comfortable for the rest of the Stones. He is already getting tons of attention and is playing 1 or 2 songs.

The only way we will hear more of the Stones with Taylor is if something happens to Ronnie, which I hope doesn't happen.

Just glad to see him being acknowledged as a guest and happy to listen to all the magic recordings he did as a Stone. peace

#1 and #2 are ridiculous. By that logic he shouldn't be on ANY songs. Or is one song the established number for former band members set by the Geneva Conventions or something? As far as not being "fair" to Ronnie. It's not about fairness, it's about putting the best musical product on stage. There are plenty of songs which would benefit from a three-guitar arrangement without any issues of "fairness" to anyone.

I think Ronnie would be the first to welcome more and more Taylor participation. He is without pretense, it seems, he'd just welcome the chance to play with his mate, he wouldn't give a shit for one second about anything other than the music. Ronnie is not the problem, in my opinion.

Maybe you guys are right about Ronnie but if so, it would be the first band I have ever heard of that a member is so generous about sharing the limelight for extended periods. This tour is a celebration of The Rolling Stones and I think some small consideration might be given to letting the core members really
shine in these legacy performances.

And Tele, if it's all about putting the best musical product onstage, where is Bill for some extended sets? Where is Jeff Beck for a few tunes? (I know, his musical style doesn't really fit the Stones, but I'll bet he could fake it better than anyone alive today). I could go on, even mentioning Chuck's participation, I know you don't think his sound has helped, and you could probably recommend someone else who would help deliver a better musical product.

If they were truly interested in the best musical product and unconcerned about band members I believe giving MT a role while Ronnie sits out would be the way to go. Hell, I'd be happy for a single tune with MT and Keith as the only guitars. That's just my opinion and I'm not expecting that to ever happen.grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 5, 2014 22:41

Naturalust
Rokyfan
71Tele
Naturalust

Maybe you guys are right about Ronnie but if so, it would be the first band I have ever heard of that a member is so generous about sharing the limelight for extended periods. This tour is a celebration of The Rolling Stones and I think some small consideration might be given to letting the core members really
shine in these legacy performances.

And Tele, if it's all about putting the best musical product onstage, where is Bill for some extended sets? Where is Jeff Beck for a few tunes? (I know, his musical style doesn't really fit the Stones, but I'll bet he could fake it better than anyone alive today). I could go on, even mentioning Chuck's participation, I know you don't think his sound has helped, and you could probably recommend someone else who would help deliver a better musical product.

If they were truly interested in the best musical product and unconcerned about band members I believe giving MT a role while Ronnie sits out would be the way to go. Hell, I'd be happy for a single tune with MT and Keith as the only guitars. That's just my opinion and I'm not expecting that to ever happen.grinning smiley

peace

Joe Walsh and the Eagles seemed to survive letting Bernie Leadon play for extended periods on their tour this/last year. If a super ego band like that can do it, the Stones surely could. I don't think anybody is asking RW to lay out anyway, just move aside a couple steps.

Date: November 5, 2014 22:45

I don't think anybody is asking RW to lay out anyway,

I am. Yeah its a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to ask. peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:06

Naturalust

They made Wyman an offer much like the one Taylor got, but, unlike Taylor, he declined. Presumably he didn't need the money, whereas MT did.

Date: November 5, 2014 23:33

Stoneburst
Naturalust

They made Wyman an offer much like the one Taylor got, but, unlike Taylor, he declined. Presumably he didn't need the money, whereas MT did.

I don't think it was about the money. I heard an interview with Bill and he said it was too much effort for one or two songs a night.

Unlike standard guitars, most bands couldn't really benefit with a two bass guitar set-up, so the situation with Taylor is obviously a bit different. In fact I don't think I've ever hear of a band with two bass guitars. peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:43

Stoneburst
Naturalust

I think Bill felt slighted that he was only offered one or two songs...can't say as I blame him as he obviously doesn't need the money.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 5, 2014 23:58

Naturalust
Stoneburst
Naturalust

I don't think it was about the money. I heard an interview with Bill and he said it was too much effort for one or two songs a night.

Unlike standard guitars, most bands couldn't really benefit with a two bass guitar set-up, so the situation with Taylor is obviously a bit different. In fact I don't think I've ever hear of a band with two bass guitars. peace

Check out Ivan Neville's Dumpstphunk

First thing I heard by them is still one of my favorite tracks. MUCH GOOD STUFF ON YOU TUBE!

Just found this live version:

I'm a bass player myself who doesn't normally like bass solos but these guys are SCARRY! Hope you enjoy!

Also I think I caught Victor Wooten using an additional three bass players at a show of his I caught a few years back. Not sure that Victor counts though.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HIJACK THIS THREAD!

Date: November 6, 2014 00:34

Wow, thanks Mr. DJA! That was a real treat. And I'm listening today on 2" computer speakers with no sub. I will return to check this out on a playback system with better bottom end.

Maybe the Stones could benefit from a coupla bass guitars.

I appreciate the post. peace

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 6, 2014 00:37

Naturalust

Where is Jeff Beck for a few tunes?

thumbs up

Some variety is very welcome.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 00:54

black n blue
Good luck here, their more like the Beach boys now how sad. Delve into that back catalog guys. Fan since 65

Not really. They Beach Boys in whatever touring form have since the mid-'70's basically sang in front of a backing band. The Rolling Stones have support musicians but they comprise the majority of the sound, and each full member is performing their entire musical task. The point of seeing them now is to see and hear them play together. Nothing to do with the Beach Boys except for a classics-laden setlist.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 6, 2014 00:59

Captainchaos
More Taylor!!!!

At least, worse case as much as last American Tour (Sway, CYHMK, MR, Slippin Away), 4 songs on electric please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You basically ask for a "MT special" which ain't gonna happen ever. The stars of the show are the 4 current band members and Jagger doesn't want to change that.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 6, 2014 03:11

TeddyB1018
black n blue

Not really. They Beach Boys in whatever touring form have since the mid-'70's basically sang in front of a backing band. The Rolling Stones have support musicians but they comprise the majority of the sound, and each full member is performing their entire musical task. The point of seeing them now is to see and hear them play together. Nothing to do with the Beach Boys except for a classics-laden setlist.

This is inaccurate. For much of this era you had Beach Boys on tour playing instruments and singing plus some backing musicians

Yes, today the Beach Boys on tour has degenerated to Mike Love and Bruce Johnston plus a bunch of backing musicians who are also singing. That Beach Boys sound needs a lot of rounding out

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 6, 2014 04:14

You're welcome Naturalust.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 6, 2014 06:11

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
Rokyfan
71Tele
Naturalust

+1

+2

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 06:57

If some here are going to have a go, mild or otherwise, at Keith and Ronnie's playing nowadays, ....as much as I loved Taylor in the day, and as much as I like his playing on Midnight Rambler from the 50th anniversary shows through to now...in truth, even HE is NOT the player he once was.

Some - SOME - of his extended soloing in Rambler is a) repetitious and b) clumsy.

His genuine fluidity is not there LIKE the old days....

So I am happy he only plays in truth on the one song.

For me, the sum of the parts of Mick/Keith/Charlie/Ronnie and Darryl IS The Stones. ALL the rest are sidemen, GOOD players, Good sidemen, but sidemen that add to the show, but AREN'T THE show.

Taylor, if given more to do upfront, would be overkill for me.

Having said that, discussion on his weight, for god sake, is completely irrelevant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-06 07:20 by bitusa2012.

In response to the beach boys comparison
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 6, 2014 07:08

This is purely my own opinion. The energy and excellence of a stones concert is
No comparison to a beach boys show. Beach boys, in particular Mike love, are depressing to witness live.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 6, 2014 07:35

I may be wrong but sometimes I feel Mick Jagger holds back the creativeness of
Ronnie and Mick T. This is only an educated guess but I wonder if Jagger is such
A control freak that he wants NO surprises during the 20 song set. Any deviation might be met with disapproval from Jagger. Let's face it Jagger is the stones for 90% of the Audience (we know better) and I suspect the other members are aware of
This audience perception.

Bottom line is: we need to figure out a way to bring Mick Taylor into more
Than one tune. I'm not counting Satisfaction for obvious reasons as anyone
Of us hardcore fans who have seen the current show will understand.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: November 6, 2014 08:15

swimtothemoon
Bottom line is: we need to figure out a way to bring Mick Taylor into more
Than one tune. I'm not counting Satisfaction for obvious reasons as anyone
Of us hardcore fans who have seen the current show will understand.

The Stones, being rock n roll survivors themselves will know about 'the last man standing'. Hence, anybody want to get Ronnie severely drunk or stoned. Rumored kidnap, while severe, may get the message though.

Disclaimer: suggesting spread a rumor rather than partake in any deprivation of liberty. Simply bark.. no bite.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 08:17

swimtothemoon
...This is only an educated guess but I wonder if Jagger is such
A control freak that he wants NO surprises during the 20 song set. Any deviation might be met with disapproval from Jagger.

A 20 song set WOULD be a surprise to Jagger!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 101 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home