Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 100 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 4, 2014 22:40

To me the stones are just as irrelevant live as any other band from the 60's. Rock'n roll is dead. Most of the people nowadays have no clue who MT is. I'll be happy for any valuts release from the Taylor era, and if it comes, I'll be shure to listen to it through headphones so I don't offend any other with extended guitar solos.Gimme Altamont, Hyde Park '69, L&G and Melbourne '73 and I'll be forever happy...oh, and London '73, MSG '69 with no overdubsB, Miami Pop Festival '69, Mobile '72, ST. Louis '72, Minneapolis '72, LA '73, Essen '70, Roundhouse '71...and...drinking smileysmoking smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 4, 2014 22:43

DandelionPowderman
For Taylor on LC listen to Vancouver 1972.

Also the 'drunk' version from the deluxe edition of Exile.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 4, 2014 22:46

S.T.P
To me the stones are just as irrelevant live as any other band from the 60's. Rock'n roll is dead. Most of the people nowadays have no clue who MT is. I'll be happy for any valuts release from the Taylor era, and if it comes, I'll be shure to listen to it through headphones so I don't offend any other with extended guitar solos.Gimme Altamont, Hyde Park '69, L&G and Melbourne '73 and I'll be forever happy...oh, and London '73, MSG '69 with no overdubsB, Miami Pop Festival '69, Mobile '72, ST. Louis '72, Minneapolis '72, LA '73, Essen '70, Roundhouse '71...and...drinking smileysmoking smiley>grinning smiley<

I dunno about Stones Touring Party.....should be S.I.T.P.......Stuck In The Past...........just kidding ..winking smiley...........says he in his "1973 Stones at Cardiff castle" t-shirt...the show that never was..........smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 4, 2014 22:49

To think, a year and a half ago, we had shows like LA2 and the scattered other performances of Sway and Knocking, and felt like the Stones were just figuring out how to utilize MT and work him into even more. Now looking back, that LA show, and the fanvotes of those two and Moonlight Mile, seem like something from the Twilight Zone. Aside from Silver Train on the Tokyo songvote, there hasn't even been a glimmer of a song that he would play on listed(as it is now).

Date: November 4, 2014 22:51

EddieByword
S.T.P

I dunno about Stones Touring Party.....should be S.I.T.P.......Stuck In The Past...........just kidding ..winking smiley...........says he in his "1973 Stones at Cardiff castle" t-shirt...the show that never was..........smileys with beer

I'd like that shirttongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 4, 2014 22:57

S.T.P
EddieByword
S.T.P

I'd like that shirttongue sticking out smiley

Mine is bit different to these..........but these are available...

[www.ebay.co.uk]

[www.ebay.co.uk] ........right dragon, wrong venue......

Date: November 4, 2014 23:02

Thanks! Always liked that poster, but did't know it existed as a t-shirt. Guess i've got to buy one nowsmileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 4, 2014 23:08

StonesCat
To think, a year and a half ago, we had shows like LA2 and the scattered other performances of Sway and Knocking, and felt like the Stones were just figuring out how to utilize MT and work him into even more. Now looking back, that LA show, and the fanvotes of those two and Moonlight Mile, seem like something from the Twilight Zone. Aside from Silver Train on the Tokyo songvote, there hasn't even been a glimmer of a song that he would play on listed(as it is now).

I think there were rumours circulating before the Hyde Park shows that something had happened involving Taylor which ended any possibility of his further involvement, but I'm not sure what that was meant to be (nor indeed whether there was any truth behind the rumours).

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 4, 2014 23:22

Yes, something must have happened. Seems such a waste for Mick Taylor to
Be restricted to Rambler and strumming along to Satisfaction EVERY night.

In the US he was sometimes doing four songs. Setlists were more interesting
As well.

Now they are down to 19 songs from 22-23 songs in the US.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 4, 2014 23:40

swimtothemoon
Yes, something must have happened. Seems such a waste for Mick Taylor to
Be restricted to Rambler and strumming along to Satisfaction EVERY night.

In the US he was sometimes doing four songs. Setlists were more interesting
As well.

Now they are down to 19 songs from 22-23 songs in the US.

Bit strange indeed.........must be the $$$

Date: November 4, 2014 23:57

S.T.P
Thanks! Always liked that poster, but did't know it existed as a t-shirt. Guess i've got to buy one nowsmileys with beer

No problem, hope it works out........

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 5, 2014 00:00

71Tele
LuxuryStones
LieB
What nags me is that apart from Midnight Rambler they're giving him an acoustic spot on Satisfaction, which is silly. Sure, they did Sway, CYHMK, Silver Train and a few oddities with him, but they were very few and far between. My wish is that they would give Taylor one more spot in which they rotate a number of songs where he is relevant, like All Down The Line, Shine A Light, Live With Me, Honky Tonk Women, Stray Cat Blues, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Sympathy, YCAGWYW, and so on. Why not let him play some leads on one war horse each night? Heck, he could even have a electric guitar part on the YCAGWYW encore every night. Much better than an acoustic on Satisfaction.

Get over it, he seems to have fun, just like the audience, and that's what matters. But then:

1: Taylor is not a member anymore, he's a guest.

2: If he played like back in the days he might steal the Limelight for at least an hour, judging the songs you mentioned.. We cannot have that after 40+ years. Never change a winning team.

3: People are not visiting the Stones for extended guitar solos, the early 7-tees are over. If you want to enjoy Taylor with the Stones, I suggest you put on Brussels'73 or L&G. At least that's what I do.smiling smiley

Taylor's playing with the Stones is not, and never was, just about extended guitar solos. It is about style, taste, and accompaniment. Solos were not any more extended when Taylor was in the band than later.

Whom are you telling this? I agree on the things you say, but I'm sure that Taylor noodled (single note playing that is) a lot more than Ron. Get a stopwatch and you'll find out I'm right. Taylor overplayed they say, and I loved it. I wish Taylor gets the chance to do it once again during this short tour.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 5, 2014 00:16

LuxuryStones
71Tele
LuxuryStones
LieB
What nags me is that apart from Midnight Rambler they're giving him an acoustic spot on Satisfaction, which is silly. Sure, they did Sway, CYHMK, Silver Train and a few oddities with him, but they were very few and far between. My wish is that they would give Taylor one more spot in which they rotate a number of songs where he is relevant, like All Down The Line, Shine A Light, Live With Me, Honky Tonk Women, Stray Cat Blues, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Sympathy, YCAGWYW, and so on. Why not let him play some leads on one war horse each night? Heck, he could even have a electric guitar part on the YCAGWYW encore every night. Much better than an acoustic on Satisfaction.

Get over it, he seems to have fun, just like the audience, and that's what matters. But then:

2: If he played like back in the days he might steal the Limelight for at least an hour, judging the songs you mentioned.. We cannot have that after 40+ years. Never change a winning team.

3: People are not visiting the Stones for extended guitar solos, the early 7-tees are over. If you want to enjoy Taylor with the Stones, I suggest you put on Brussels'73 or L&G. At least that's what I do.smiling smiley

Taylor's playing with the Stones is not, and never was, just about extended guitar solos. It is about style, taste, and accompaniment. Solos were not any more extended when Taylor was in the band than later.

Whom are you telling this? I agree on the things you say, but I'm sure that Taylor noodled (single note playing that is) a lot more than Ron. Taylor overplayed they say, and I loved it. Get a stopwatch and you'll find out I'm right.

For example, the 1975 long version of YCAGWYW is basically the same arrangement as the 1973 version, but with Ronnie "noodling" (truly) instead of Taylor playing. The idea that there were more extended solos when Taylor was in the band is mostly a myth, so to say that Taylor is not playing on more songs because they are not emphasizing extended solos misses the point. It does not explain why he is not playing on Dice, All Down The Line, Dead Flowers, etc. Those songs are the same length as when he was in the band.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 5, 2014 00:21

71Tele
LuxuryStones
71Tele
LuxuryStones
LieB

Whom are you telling this? I agree on the things you say, but I'm sure that Taylor noodled (single note playing that is) a lot more than Ron. Taylor overplayed they say, and I loved it. Get a stopwatch and you'll find out I'm right.

For example, the 1975 long version of YCAGWYW is basically the same arrangement as the 1973 version, but with Ronnie "noodling" (truly) instead of Taylor playing. The idea that there were more extended solos when Taylor was in the band is mostly a myth, so to say that Taylor is not playing on more songs because they are not emphasizing extended solos misses the point. It does not explain why he is not playing on Dice, All Down The Line, Dead Flowers, etc. Those songs are the same length as when he was in the band.

Unfortunately I edited my post while you were typing.. grinning smiley I don't know either why he's not on the songs you mentioned. It's a shame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 00:25 by LuxuryStones.

Date: November 5, 2014 00:35

LuxuryStones
71Tele
LuxuryStones
71Tele
LuxuryStones
LieB

Unfortunately I edited my post while you were typing.. grinning smiley I don't know either why he's not on the songs you mentioned. It's a shame.

None of us know anything other than it is a damn shame.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 5, 2014 03:29

To All these Taylor fans - keep pushing

Hopefully Keith will intervine sometime soon on the setlist and who can play on what, didn't he say there was going to be alot of 3-guitar interplay?

Keith - Talk Jagger into letting Taylor (guest) on some "other" songs he played on, back-when... like what has been mentioned by others. This has been my biggest thrill for the past two years, seeing/hearing Taylor play again with the Stones.

Can't see where Ronnie or Keith would be bothered with Taylor getting one more go at something like" ADTL, Dead Flowers,etc. Could we hope for: Time Waits For No One????? - If that song isn't approcaite right about now!!!!
MLC

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:04

If in our wildest dreams Mick Taylor were unleashed on just the songs he originally recorded with the Stones, the entire show would be about his playing. Not that I believe he is a show off but you can't really stifle talent like his. It will always stand out whether he wants it to or not. I personally think there was not rehearsal time built in for him to participate much more than he is playing now. The Stones are old men now and very comfortable with the set list they are playing now. Repetition means perfection at their age, so any major changes or surprises may be difficult for the rest of the band. They probably decided to try touring one last time and wanted to bring Taylor along as a member of the family but not a band member, especially after 40 years. I don't believe Taylor is unhappy. Hopefully he will get a good band together and play some sets of Stones songs when this tour is finished. I would definitely go to hear that!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:07

What's the rationale for Jagger not wanting him playing more? I don't quite get that.

I'd originally thought he was there as a stop gap, just in case KR wasn't up to form, which he obviously is, but now that they've been doing this for awhile, why drag the poor guy around the world to play Midnight Rambler and then walk around with acoustic guitar around his neck while they're playing Satisfaction?

Just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:22

MCDDTLC

Hopefully Keith will intervine sometime soon on the setlist and who can play on what, didn't he say there was going to be alot of 3-guitar interplay?

Keith - Talk Jagger into letting Taylor (guest) on some "other" songs he played on, back-when... like what has been mentioned by others. This has been my biggest thrill for the past two years, seeing/hearing Taylor play again with the Stones.

Can't see where Ronnie or Keith would be bothered with Taylor getting one more go at something like" ADTL, Dead Flowers,etc. Could we hope for: Time Waits For No One????? - If that song isn't approcaite right about now!!!!
MLC

I am a community organizer. Most of the time an "organized community" can accomplish a great deal. I think IORR is a community of Stones fans. Thousands of tweets and Facebook messages on a daily basis may get more MT playing on a few more.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:24

"Keep pushing" - well, I honestly think that it's too late by now. There was hope during and even after the US leg of "50 & Counting", but after Hyde Park, Far East and Europe plus the first three Australian/NZ dates showing no development at all concerning more Taylor involvement the time is running out. Things won't change in the middle of a tour, a short tour at that. I'm not saying that there won't be any more surprises, maybe we'll get him on a Sway, Knocking or Silver Train on a selected show here or there, but I fear that's the best we can hope for.

This band is simply not ambitious anymore. They don't even have to add songs like All Down The Line, Dead Flowers and others with Taylor to their constant setlist - there are constantly played songs enough in their regular setlist that would benefit from a fluid lead guitar - Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for example.

But Taylor seems to have served his (sole?) purpose: Create some buzz amongst their fanbase, even some media buzz, help selling some tickets to otherwise a bit hesitant older fans who without Taylor probably would have skipped this tour altogether.

Was it ever planned this way? Or did indeed something happen that changed original plans for a bit more extensive Taylor participation? The band members won't talk. Even Taylor won't talk about it, at least not in the near future. I'm sure he's quite happy with his name being connected with the Stones again and the financial rewards that come with this renewed connection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 04:33 by alimente.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:28

As much as I love Mick Taylor and think Ronnie is mediocre at best, I understand the Stones decision to limit Micks songs on this tour.

1. He is not part of the band. Hasn't been since he quit.
2. Ronnie is a full fledged Rolling Stone and it wouldn't be fair to him as MTs replacement.
3. As mentioned above Taylor's musicianship is a cut above the other guitarists in the band and the shows would become more about Taylor's playing than would be comfortable for the rest of the Stones. He is already getting tons of attention and is playing 1 or 2 songs.

The only way we will hear more of the Stones with Taylor is if something happens to Ronnie, which I hope doesn't happen.

Just glad to see him being acknowledged as a guest and happy to listen to all the magic recordings he did as a Stone. peace

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:55

alimente
"Keep pushing" - well, I honestly think that it's too late by now. There was hope during and even after the US leg of "50 & Counting", but after Hyde Park, Far East and Europe plus the first three Australian/NZ dates showing no development at all concerning more Taylor involvement the time is running out. Things won't change in the middle of a tour, a short tour at that. I'm not saying that there won't be any more surprises, maybe we'll get him on a Sway, Knocking or Silver Train on a selected show here or there, but I fear that's the best we can hope for.

This band is simply not ambitious anymore. They don't even have to add songs like All Down The Line, Dead Flowers and others with Taylor to their constant setlist - there are constantly played songs enough in their regular setlist that would benefit from a fluid lead guitar - Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for example.

But Taylor seems to have served his (sole?) purpose: Create some buzz amongst their fanbase, even some media buzz, help selling some tickets to otherwise a bit hesitant older fans who without Taylor probably would have skipped this tour altogether.

Was it ever planned this way? Or did indeed something happen that changed original plans for a bit more extensive Taylor participation? The band members won't talk. Even Taylor won't talk about it, at least not in the near future. I'm sure he's quite happy with his name being connected with the Stones again and the financial rewards that come with this renewed connection.

When this tour was first advertised and I heard the Stones were going to bring Mick Taylor back, I was so excited as I imagined such great possibilities. Sure, I was happy to see Mick Taylor at the show I caught in Toronto but I walked out somewhat disappointed as well. In retrospect, I would tend to agree with your point that his purpose may well have been to create media buzz and help sell some tickets (especially expensive ones) to long time older fans who otherwise may have skipped this tour. I count myself in that category. Although I took my young son for a special father-son (expensive) getaway weekend to see a Stones concert in Canada, in reality, if Mick Taylor was not on the bill, I would have passed up this tour entirely and just bought the obligatory concert DVD (in this case the Hyde Park show) to hold me over....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2014 07:03

treaclefingers

"I'd originally thought he was there as a stop gap, just in case KR wasn't up to form, which he obviously is...."

Keith got back up to form? When did that happen?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 5, 2014 09:28

PhillyFAN
MCDDTLC

MLC

I am a community organizer. Most of the time an "organized community" can accomplish a great deal. I think IORR is a community of Stones fans. Thousands of tweets and Facebook messages on a daily basis may get more MT playing on a few more.

Keith does not intervene. It (the tour) is what it is.

I am a huge Philly fan also, particularly as it relates to music, Stones shows (I've seen my best there). This thread motivated me to put on some Stones with Taylor and I'm listening to Love in Vain from Philly 72 (would it have killed them to play that one on this tour?) and I am a also a fan of community organizers, but please do not confuse tweets, facebook posts, etc. with reality or a fan board with a community if you really want to have success as a community organizer.

One thing remains true about the Stones, from the old days through now. They do what the @#$%& they want. A million @#$%& tweets a day notwithstanding. It is kind of endearing.

Date: November 5, 2014 09:30

Naturalust
As much as I love Mick Taylor and think Ronnie is mediocre at best, I understand the Stones decision to limit Micks songs on this tour.

2. Ronnie is a full fledged Rolling Stone and it wouldn't be fair to him as MTs replacement.
3. As mentioned above Taylor's musicianship is a cut above the other guitarists in the band and the shows would become more about Taylor's playing than would be comfortable for the rest of the Stones. He is already getting tons of attention and is playing 1 or 2 songs.

The only way we will hear more of the Stones with Taylor is if something happens to Ronnie, which I hope doesn't happen.

Just glad to see him being acknowledged as a guest and happy to listen to all the magic recordings he did as a Stone. peace

#1 and #2 are ridiculous. By that logic he shouldn't be on ANY songs. Or is one song the established number for former band members set by the Geneva Conventions or something? As far as not being "fair" to Ronnie. It's not about fairness, it's about putting the best musical product on stage. There are plenty of songs which would benefit from a three-guitar arrangement without any issues of "fairness" to anyone.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 5, 2014 10:05

Stoneburst
StonesCat

I think there were rumours circulating before the Hyde Park shows that something had happened involving Taylor which ended any possibility of his further involvement, but I'm not sure what that was meant to be (nor indeed whether there was any truth behind the rumours).

Actually that stuff about HP came out afterwards because interestingly enough everything looked "normal" on stage at both HP1 and HP2, stiff upper lip, eh ? As usual the background behind the problems at the time appeared to be "unresolved business issues" with attempts to get lawyers getting involved to get them sorted at long last and the Stones camp going haywire as a result. The fact that he's participating in the 50th probably weakens his position in these "business issues" (i.e. you're working with them and getting paid so why are you suing them) but on the other hand it's such a long shot that he's better off taking the money he can, traveling in style, playing to huge audiences and raising his profile for solo shows in the future.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 11:40 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 5, 2014 10:47

71Tele
Naturalust

#1 and #2 are ridiculous. By that logic he shouldn't be on ANY songs. Or is one song the established number for former band members set by the Geneva Conventions or something? As far as not being "fair" to Ronnie. It's not about fairness, it's about putting the best musical product on stage. There are plenty of songs which would benefit from a three-guitar arrangement without any issues of "fairness" to anyone.

I think Ronnie would be the first to welcome more and more Taylor participation. He is without pretense, it seems, he'd just welcome the chance to play with his mate, he wouldn't give a shit for one second about anything other than the music. Ronnie is not the problem, in my opinion.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 5, 2014 11:12

Rokyfan
71Tele
Naturalust

I think Ronnie would be the first to welcome more and more Taylor participation. He is without pretense, it seems, he'd just welcome the chance to play with his mate, he wouldn't give a shit for one second about anything other than the music. Ronnie is not the problem, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ronnie who was the driving force behind MT's presence. They are good friends, they have performed together a mumber of times. There are backstage photos of them showing Ronnie with his arm around MT, not staged publicity photos.

Date: November 5, 2014 11:26

Rokyfan
PhillyFAN
MCDDTLC

MLC

Keith does not intervene. It (the tour) is what it is.

I am a huge Philly fan also, particularly as it relates to music, Stones shows (I've seen my best there). This thread motivated me to put on some Stones with Taylor and I'm listening to Love in Vain from Philly 72 (would it have killed them to play that one on this tour?) and I am a also a fan of community organizers, but please do not confuse tweets, facebook posts, etc. with reality or a fan board with a community if you really want to have success as a community organizer.

One thing remains true about the Stones, from the old days through now. They do what the @#$%& they want. A million @#$%& tweets a day notwithstanding. It is kind of endearing.

They did play it once - WITH Mick Taylor. If memory serves there were some bottleneck problems, according to the lucky ones who where there to witness it..

Date: November 5, 2014 11:28

71Tele
LuxuryStones
71Tele
LuxuryStones
LieB

After 1976 the Stones went back to where they came from: playing rhythm and blues withOUT extended guitar solos, though.

The 1975/76 YCAGWYWs were a showcase for their new guitarist, I reckon...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105Next
Current Page: 100 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home