Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:35

....would have done well not even invite him as a guest MT. there would have been spared many useless speeches.

Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:38

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
winter
There's an INCREDIBLY interesting dynamic about to hit their tour calendar: CHI#2, CHI#3, TOR#2, MONTREAL (last Canada show ever?), (BOS#1), BOS#2. Think about that stretch. Four of the six gigs have serious potential for more MT and 'deeper cuts' ala 5/20 because they're nights #2 or 3 in a city and they might not have extra guests.

If they repeat the stellar choices of 5/20, then maybe the proverbial barn door will be blown off its hinges. The barn door was opened 5/20 and the horses got loose. Jagger has re-closed the barn door. If Taylor gets 3-4 songs for CHI#3, TOR#2 and BOS#2, the door will be off its hinges and only an insecure control freak could not see what's best for the live MUSIC legacy of the Stones. Taylor has made Keef and Ronnie get their shit together after they (amazingly) were the weak links for the last 2 tours (Licks, ABcool smiley. What's going on now is some sick head games courtesy of Jagger, a tragic waste of a touring member and an epically and needlessly cruel (to the fans and MT) keeping the race horse tethered in the barn when everyone wants to see it run. It's supposed to be a 50th B'day bash tour, and they're robbing themselves of a simple extra 10 minutes a night of musical highs.

On 5/20, we heard a collective roar circle and fill the arena during MT on CYHMK. That includes all of the fans who don't even know who MT is and just came to hear the hits. Even they were musically transported to an ecstatic high for reasons they maybe could not even put their finger on, because of the Musical peak climbed by Taylor, not because of the "spectacle' element of the show. When was the last time you remember hearing the audience lose it specifically because of a climactic musical solo at a Stones show pre-2012?

So since they've apparently wasted their big 5 day break and couldn't see fit to work MT into a simple extra song like LIV or ADTL (vs the jams of a Sway coda or CYHMK), the big question becomes: What's going to happen during the CHI#3, TOR#2 and Boston #2 all coming up? Either Charlie/Keef/Ron want MT to play more and need to force a showdown or MJ needs to face himself. The one-song-a-night farce and token appearance during Satisfaction have to stop. It's BS. Time is running out for this opportunity.

very cold winter...but well stated.

Hang on, the horses are out? Crap I gotta get movin...

the pool's also in but the patio ain't dry.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:40

It is sad how they are treating him once again. They simply refuse to
A acknowledge that he made them the greatest band particularly when
the could not compete with the Beatles pop and Zeps rock. He gave them real
real musicianship to,accompany Jagger/Richards great song writing abilities
at the time.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 27, 2013 20:45

Alfonz
What they should do is each night play one of IORR/YGMR and one of D&G/OMS. I'd prefer they ditch all 4 completely, but there is no chance of that happening. Alternate them from show to show, so they are still playing all of these songs regularly through the whole tour.

This would then result in 5 slots for other songs. One could go to to the ballad (e.g. Angie or Wild Horses). One could go to MT (e.g. Sway or CYHMK). Leaving three for the other songs they've played like Street Fighting Man, Bitch, All Down The Line, etc. I think this would be a great compromise.

Yes, this would be a great compromise, I'm also hoping there is a slot for a real ballad in every show, now there has been shows with no real ballad at all!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 27, 2013 21:25

fleabitmonkey
bv
Mick Taylor is a big smile. He just love being on stage. This is no competition. He is a guest player. He will be on for "Sway", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and the regulars "Rambler" and "Satisfaction". We just need to cross our fingers for more "Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" at the shows. But there is only space for 22 songs within two hours twenty minutes show time. That's the problem.
Most of the songs that people are hoping to hear them play don't seem to be obscure songs at all. I have been to 4 shows so far on this tour with tickets to 5 more and it sure doesn't feel like casual fans who might not recognize the likes of Live with me, Ventilator Blues, Sway, CYHMK, Stray Cat Blues, Moonlight Mile etc. After all 95% of the people in attendance spent an average of $400 a ticket! How casual is that? The only blank stares I've seen are when Mary J Blige, Gwen S.and guest screw up and don't even know the words to the song!! How the hell does that happen its embarrassing. CYHMK in LA was by far the best received song on this tour so far with MR in Las Vegas a close second. That being said the common denominator here is Mick Taylor. Plain and simple they are better when Mick Taylor is on the stage with them. Is Mick T a guest yes BUT a guest who is also a Rolling Stone who was in the band when they were doing some of their best work and this would not be the case if he weren't in the band. The problem is NOT there isn't enough time they could easily extend this show by twenty minutes. For the ticket price it should be a three hour show anyway. If McCartney and Springsteen can play 3 to 4 and half hours show for one third the cost surely The Stones could give us a 2 hour and forty five minute show. Even though the current tour is a blast and fun to attend without question it could be MUCH better with a few small tweaks.

From the onset of this tour, I never expected in any way, shape or form that Mick Taylor was to be included in the whole show. Given what was rehearsed, my expectation, and I believe many others on this board were under the assumption that he would be "guesting" on possibly three-four songs which would still be perfect, just enough so his guitar presence would tweak & elevate the show to another level (and probably garner consistent great reviews). And I also agree that for what you paying for these shows, another 15-20 minutes is not so out of the question-which then could include the Mick Taylor songs. This is most likely gonna be the Stones swan song, why not go out on top with one of your best hitters while you got the chance?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 27, 2013 21:49

My impression of Mick Taylor on this tour is that he is relaxed, enjoying himself,
and adding much to the band that he is still forever a part of,whatever status
others may assign to him.
I think/hope the rest of the band see's the light...and his guest spot evolves into
a very active role on more and more songs...and in the studio... I wonder if the band will appreciate him to that extent. Lucky we are getting this much....but
now we know more would be better.

Whay Not Use Taylor More. You are Dragging his ass all over the Country
Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:21

Since You are taking him with you why not use him. He sure as hell can cover for Keith and they sound a lot better with the three of them . This is supposed to be a celebration of the band and it's music. Check your damn egos at the door and stop worrying abut hurting Ronnie's feelings. Let the man play. I mean one song or two a night ? That is BS.

Re: Whay Not Use Taylor More. You are Dragging his ass all over the Country
Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:39

Agreed 100%

Die hard stones fans have been waiting for this moment forever, he's with the band for this tour, why not utilize them to show how great he is and also take some of the load off of Keith

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 27, 2013 05:59

It would make Mick admit they are better with him than without him. This will NEVER happen.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 27, 2013 06:03

headly123
Check your damn egos at the door and stop worrying abut hurting Ronnie's feelings. Let the man play.

Many here say that band ego is involved in MT only playing on two songs. Could be. But MT has well-documented stage fright issues. It could very well be that they're not going to trod him out there for more songs unless they're sure he's in his comfort zone. But "hurting Ronnie's feelings"? I love Ronnie, but if he were really that sensitive about how we perceive his playing, he wouldn't have spent the last twenty years mugging and finger-farting, and it's not like his job's in jeopardy. He has the bulk of the gig to shine in his own way and unless he has the sensitivity of a five-year old, there's no way he's threatened by MT's solos.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 27, 2013 06:24

MT's crossing into other countries now as well.......

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: May 27, 2013 06:31

100% agree Taylor's presence improves the band and since they've revealed this greater potential with 3 guitarists, it's an utter disappointment to watch them go with only 2.

Some people on IORR.ORG are sick of hearing these "more Taylor" threads, but the majority of us are sensible enough to admit the obvious: They're better with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 06:32 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: May 27, 2013 06:58

carlorossi
headly123
Check your damn egos at the door and stop worrying abut hurting Ronnie's feelings. Let the man play.

Many here say that band ego is involved in MT only playing on two songs. Could be. But MT has well-documented stage fright issues. It could very well be that they're not going to trod him out there for more songs unless they're sure he's in his comfort zone.

WHERE the Heck did you hear this ??? MT has stage fright... he's the YOUNG kid that walks up to the Great John Mayall and says he can fill in for the absent Eric Clapton... the Same Guitarist that at age 20 is playing to 100,000+ at Hyde park in 1969 as the replacement for Brian Jones (right after Brain had passed)... and had the crowd (and the band) cheering him on just the other night in Los Angeles... GIVE ME A BREAK...

-Gripweed

Date: May 27, 2013 07:03

Laughingsam
100% agree Taylor's presence improves the band and since they've revealed this greater potential with 3 guitarists, it's an utter disappointment to watch them go with only 2.

Some people on IORR.ORG are sick of hearing these "more Taylor" threads, but the majority of us are sensible enough to admit the obvious: They're better with him.

You'll never get Mick J. to acknowledge that.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 27, 2013 07:12

gripweed
WHERE the Heck did you hear this ??? MT has stage fright...
-Gripweed

Since the Mayall days. He's spoken about it openly. He attended a Stones gig in the last decade (don't remember the year, others here can verify) and had an invitation to play, but backed out.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 27, 2013 07:45

It's almost like they're taunting him one last time for quitting. They play about 5-6 songs a night where he played on the original recordings and about 5-6 more where the live versions from when he was in the band are regarded as definitive live versions of those songs. And yet he waits in the wings to play on two songs per show. I'm sure he keeps his trap shut because it's his best payday in decades and he's flying first class to stay in five-star accomodations, but still...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:39

gripweed
carlorossi
headly123

Many here say that band ego is involved in MT only playing on two songs. Could be. But MT has well-documented stage fright issues. It could very well be that they're not going to trod him out there for more songs unless they're sure he's in his comfort zone.

WHERE the Heck did you hear this ??? MT has stage fright... he's the YOUNG kid that walks up to the Great John Mayall and says he can fill in for the absent Eric Clapton... the Same Guitarist that at age 20 is playing to 100,000+ at Hyde park in 1969 as the replacement for Brian Jones (right after Brain had passed)... and had the crowd (and the band) cheering him on just the other night in Los Angeles... GIVE ME A BREAK...

-Gripweed

His body language onstage certainly does indeed suggest a healthy measure of confidence.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:49

The whole scenario is an embarrassment to Wood, Taylor and fans of the band. I don't think there's a vicious logic to it. A lost opportunity, poorly planned and unevenly executed, I won't post any further on MT, the episode is ruining the tour for me. I have tickets to Boston 1 and Philly 1, I know what not to expect.

Date: May 27, 2013 09:22

DoomandGloom
The whole scenario is an embarrassment to Wood, Taylor and fans of the band. I don't think there's a vicious logic to it. A lost opportunity, poorly planned and unevenly executed, I won't post any further on MT, the episode is ruining the tour for me. I have tickets to Boston 1 and Philly 1, I know what not to expect.

According to BV do not expect anything special.

Do not expect any specials on the first night in a city. But the 2nd show or even the 3rd or 4th show in an area might be special of course. So look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2. I am just guessing, based on experience...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 09:27 by No Expectations.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:06

carlorossi
gripweed
WHERE the Heck did you hear this ??? MT has stage fright...
-Gripweed

Since the Mayall days. He's spoken about it openly. He attended a Stones gig in the last decade (don't remember the year, others here can verify) and had an invitation to play, but backed out.

Nonsense, he's the most relaxed guy of them all. Very self-confident during Knocking in LA 2nd. He wants to play as much as possible. Read the interview with Taylor that Silver has announced in another recent thread here:

[www.iorr.org]

Mick Taylor: "If I can blend in on , say three songs - Sway, and a couple of others - as well as I did on Midnight Rambler, then it should be one hell of a show."

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:29

No Expectations
It would make Mick admit they are better with him than without him. This will NEVER happen.

A guest must remain a guest: hello, thank you, goodbye. Mick Taylor with four tracks as in LA was too "in the light"... Too much applause for him, especially during CYHMK... Back in the shade, thanks mate.

Yes, look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2... but a whole concert with Mick Taylor will never happen... (would like to have wrong but...)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:35

It's like having Joe Montana in a playoff game and leaving him on the bench...the Stones don't want the win...they want the tie...

SFM without T was odd...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:50

Okay I'll leak an indutry secret now :
MT is used as a tax shelter by Jagger. He officially costs 20 000$ a day in (deductible) costs though in fact he travels by Greyhound buses and sleeps in Motel 6's.

Messing with the IRS that's the only way Jagger has found to make this tour profitable. Tix tank T-shirts are a flop, only remains the MT-TS (as "Mick Taylor tax shelter" ) option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 17:10 by dcba.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:52

Gimme Tax Shelter?

Interesting. Well shouldn't the little Tax Shelter at Least play on it?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:14

For Taylor Pierre DeBeauport has bought a LesPaul Epiphone off Craiglist for 179$ and he has stuck a home-printed "Gibson" logo on the headstock.

Now the guitar is insured as a "vintage 1969 Made in USA Gibson LP" for 10 grand for the whole tour... an amount deductible from the tour costs.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:31

"...Dragging his ass all over the Country". I didn't know they kid-napped him and forced him to do it!

anyway, I agree. MT can play on much more. He does not have to be fetured on evrythng he plays on. He proved that on Satisfaction, especially in Toronto. He does a lot of little things, w/o a solo.

I have not given up hope. Remember it wasn't log ago that many people here thougt he would NEVER be on stage witht he Stones again.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:35

MICK T. DOESNT HAVE TO SPEND A CENT ON THE ROAD AND IF HE CLEARS $30,OOO,IT'LL BE THE BEST MONEY HE'S MADE IN YEARS FOR 2 MONTHS "WORK".

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:53

Hoping Chicago 2 may have some more MT, along with Chicago 3.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 27, 2013 18:05

It isn't just that he's travelling all over with them... HE'S ONE OF THEM.

Remember when Clapton was on the Steel Wheels tour for one song? Nobody complained that he was just on one song, because he was never in the band.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 18:09

Posted by: bigfrankie ()

Date: May 27, 2013 17:31

"...Dragging his ass all over the Country". I didn't know they kid-napped him and forced him to do it!

You missed my point. Which is why take him all over the country and not use him . They are not dragging him but If I had him with me the whole tour I sure as hell would use him for more then a token song or two. Maybe when they played CYHMK with Taylor on the lead it scared the shit out of them . CAUSE IT SOUNDED GOOD . hot smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home